Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A guilty pleasure?

2»

Comments

• AzarithAzarith Member UncommonPosts: 52

This game is great with a Razer Naga. Definetly not going to be easy for clickers to pick up on.

A few friends I know from other games are playing on the RP server in TERA so I thought I'd check it out.

The good.

- Graphics. Great landscapes. Ground looks like someone painted it on the dirt though...

- Combat - aiming and positioning.

- Community

The Bad

- Combat, It gets very repetitive. Pretty much every pve fight against standard mobs you can use the same rotation.

- PvE too easy. Okay, I've only made it to level 23 so far but for pretty much every quest I just pull every mob I need for the quest then kite/AoE them down without taking any damage on my Sorcerer.

- Leveling is very very repetitive. I'm having a hard time logging in. Aside from mobs that require groups to kill you have 3 types of mobs with different skins on them but they all pretty much behave the same. You have the solo mob, the solo mob with critters, and critter groups and they all are just standing out in the open waiting for someone to come kill them.

As for the RP server. It is probably one of the best RP servers I've seen in a while. Seemed like any town I went into I would see at least a couple people RPing and having fun. The game definatley has a good and active RP community. So if that's you're thing you should really check out the RP server.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Azarith

This game is great with a Razer Naga. Definetly not going to be easy for clickers to pick up on.

A few friends I know from other games are playing on the RP server in TERA so I thought I'd check it out.

The good.

- Graphics. Great landscapes. Ground looks like someone painted it on the dirt though...

- Combat - aiming and positioning.

- Community

The Bad

- Combat, It gets very repetitive. Pretty much every pve fight against standard mobs you can use the same rotation.

- PvE too easy. Okay, I've only made it to level 23 so far but for pretty much every quest I just pull every mob I need for the quest then kite/AoE them down without taking any damage on my Sorcerer.

- Leveling is very very repetitive. I'm having a hard time logging in. Aside from mobs that require groups to kill you have 3 types of mobs with different skins on them but they all pretty much behave the same. You have the solo mob, the solo mob with critters, and critter groups and they all are just standing out in the open waiting for someone to come kill them.

As for the RP server. It is probably one of the best RP servers I've seen in a while. Seemed like any town I went into I would see at least a couple people RPing and having fun. The game definatley has a good and active RP community. So if that's you're thing you should really check out the RP server.

I agree with you totally as well, however I am on the Dragonfall server and it's pretty active at this point.

However I am pacing myself in TERA, since there really isn't another active mmo to play, this one will do and I'll see where I go from here.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

a guilty pleasure indeed! i havent felt like this for an mmo for a long time... tera has its flaws but seems to be all fixable ;)

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Sodade: Im in love with this game also. It truly is the best thing to happen to me since Rift. I stopped gaming for about 6 months basically and just played my free games. This is the first game in awhile that I am happy to hand 15$ too. I probably play this game way more then I should. Im thinking 30-50 hours a week. I play 1 character. No alts and I am entertained 24/7. I play on Celestial Hills PVE server and am never bored! The game and community is amazing. I am so happy Bluehole had an innovative idea in how they would handle combat. Bring console style action to the computer. This game will always hold a soft fuzy spot in my heart. No matter if i quit in a year or in a week. My time in Arborea has been fantastic!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore

Sodade: Im in love with this game also. It truly is the best thing to happen to me since Rift. I stopped gaming for about 6 months basically and just played my free games. This is the first game in awhile that I am happy to hand 15$ too. I probably play this game way more then I should. Im thinking 30-50 hours a week. I play 1 character. No alts and I am entertained 24/7. I play on Celestial Hills PVE server and am never bored! The game and community is amazing. I am so happy Bluehole had an innovative idea in how they would handle combat. Bring console style action to the computer. This game will always hold a soft fuzy spot in my heart. No matter if i quit in a year or in a week. My time in Arborea has been fantastic!

I feel quite the same my friend :)

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

Sadly Tera is just another MMO with a gimick. The combat is indeed interesting, the rest is old hat and a regression of the genre. Still waiting for a game that doesn't have just a gimick but the whole shebang.

I think PvPers are going to be the only real long term players of this game.

Edit: The community in area/lfg chat was absolutely atrocious on the pvp server. Just because it's a M rated game doesn't mean it's necessary to abuse it. Racism, sexism, and homophobia have no place in a M rated game either.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Terronte

Sadly Tera is just another MMO with a gimick. The combat is indeed interesting, the rest is old hat and a regression of the genre. Still waiting for a game that doesn't have just a gimick but the whole shebang.

I think PvPers are going to be the only real long term players of this game.

Edit: The community in area/lfg chat was absolutely atrocious on the pvp server. Just because it's a M rated game doesn't mean it's necessary to abuse it. Racism, sexism, and homophobia have no place in a M rated game either.

I agree with some of this but I'm also partial to pvp so this really is the only game I am interested in playing. I think the game is a proof of concept game and that they just spun out the kill x quests. However, since i like combat I don't mind Kill quests. The main quests can actually be a bit fun.

And yes, If one is predominantly a pve person then, unless you are the type of person who can make your own fun, you might be at a loss at level cap.

Also, the problem with saying "the game is rated M for mature so you shouldn't abuse it" is that people don't understand what "M" means.

it doesn't mean you get to act the way you want because you are an adult. It means that 18+ or whatever the age, is the minimum age where one can make the decision to play it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo