Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tor down to 200k to 300k players Left

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by OldManFunk
    Originally posted by Moaky07
    Originally posted by Wicoa

You dont lay off around 200 people, announce a mini  paid expansion and merge servers unless you have small numbers processing.

A mini paid expansion? Sure would like to see this information. It is news to me. I am not calling you a liar, just would like to see the source.

I'm guessing this:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=472411

$9.99 for all that content + 90 days subscription = bargain!

Luke Skywalke?s Speeder from the classic Star Wars movies. This is a 2-seat Speeder capable
    of carrying two players.

Kowakian Monkey Lizard similar to Salacious B. Crumb from the classic Star Wars movies

Ewok companion from the classic Star Wars movies

Is this for real? Awesome stuff! Especially the Ewok companion.

SWG is not coming back, but SWTOR is turning into it! I will continue to sub if this is true

Pics from SWG, just to get a vague idea what they would like.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

Lol Tortanic, This game needed to sink. Developers have to know we don't accept WoW clones anymore.The line has been drawn.

=()

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by fenistil

While I don't play Swtor and I really don't like what has became of BW - this hatewagon is a bit too much and gotten very old tbh

Sorry but SWTOR deserves every piece of hate it gets.  If we take the BigHatLogan formula of money invested per quality of game ratio it is the WORST GAME EVER MADE.  Interestingly enough, using the same formula the Star Wars prequels are the three worst movies ever made.    As far as the OP's post, you can only fit so many players on a server and the vast majority of servers are greyed out.  200 to 300k subs is probably a good guess.  I'm pretty surprised that their are even that many people out there that actually like SWTOR.    

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Luke Skywalke?s Speeder from the classic Star Wars movies. This is a 2-seat Speeder capable
    of carrying two players.

Kowakian Monkey Lizard similar to Salacious B. Crumb from the classic Star Wars movies

SWG is not coming back, but SWTOR is turning into it! I will continue to sub if this is true

Are you kidding? That is not "awesome stuff" And you as Star Wars AND SWG fan. I should /SLAP!

1.) SWTOR is set how many thousand of years BEFORE ANH? Luke and his Speeder didnt exist in TOR time.

2.) Monkey Lizard and ESPECIALLY that stupid flying Ewok from the Ewok Love Fest are some of the silly, childish , emo things that made SWG INTO SWTOR. They made SWG even more un-Star Wars than the NGE did.

These "additions" are anachronistic to not only TOR but the SW IP

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I have to laugh everytime I see posts like this.  It's all speculation.  Noone knows anything except Bioware and EA.  The MMO hate club has gotten so big from people who aren't MMO players.  They want to play a game that isn't a MMO, but they think the next big MMO will be it.  It won't be anything different because a MMO will always be an MMO...If you don't like the current formula for MMO that's been around since WoW launched, I hate to tell you, go play something else.  It's not going to change much from a quest driven storyline with side quests...because, guess what,  that's what an MMO is, and always has been.  If you want a game that doesn't shove you to different areas around the world at certain levels, go play something else...THAT'S WHAT AN MMO IS!

Edit: I don't know how many times I have to say this, but here I go again (I should really copy and paste this in notepad so I don't have to type it every time lol).  MMOs are and always will be a niche part of the gaming community.  Developers want to make it mainstream, and I can understand that, it's big money.  MMO players are a unique and true MMO players are a very small part of the gaming community.  If sitting at your computer for an hour to chop down a tree doesn't sound fun to you, then go play something else.  That's what an MMO is.   There is no instant gratification, MMOs are all about delayed gratification.  The promise of something better the next level or two.  Then another promise of something even better a couple levels later...That's what MMOs are and always will be...If you don't like it, leave, you aren't a MMO player.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

of carrying two players.

Are you kidding? That is not "awesome stuff" And you as Star Wars AND SWG fan. I should /SLAP!

1.) SWTOR is set how many thousand of years BEFORE ANH? Luke and his Speeder didnt exist in TOR time.

2.) Monkey Lizard and ESPECIALLY that stupid flying Ewok from the Ewok Love Fest are some of the silly, childish , emo things that made SWG INTO SWTOR. They made SWG even more un-Star Wars than the NGE did.

Would be icing on the cake if they added in Vader as a raid boss too right? :)

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I have to laugh everytime I see posts like this.  It's all speculation.  Noone knows anything except Bioware and EA.  The MMO hate club has gotten so big from people who aren't MMO players.  They want to play a game that isn't a MMO, but they think the next big MMO will be it.  It won't be anything different because a MMO will always be an MMO...If you don't like the current formula for MMO that's been around since WoW launched, I hate to tell you, go play something else.  It's not going to change much from a quest driven storyline with side quests...because, guess what,  that's what an MMO is, and always has been.  If you want a game that doesn't shove you to different areas around the world at certain levels, go play something else...THAT'S WHAT AN MMO IS!

I tihnk someone needs to go read the actual definition of a MMO. Because most game today that claim to be a MMO are not by definition a MMO. Vanilla WOW was a MMO by definition that was the last true MMO to launch.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by RoyalPhunk
    Lol Tortanic, This game needed to sink. Developers have to know we don't accept WoW clones anymore.The line has been drawn.=()

This ^^^^ And to make matters worse the developers mindsets are all about the win button. I think gamers in general over the years had shown they want easy mode more than anything with all the forum posts on official game sites like WOW, and have shown that they want it easy to the point it changed the online gaming world the last 5 years. I go back to the whiner days when it all started on the WOW forums, seems cry baby whiner kids wanted it easy mode and the devs started to listen there in WOW, soon other game companies followed suit and started the i-win method of development.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Straight off wikipedia:

"Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world.

As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a character (often in a fantasy world) and take control over many of that character's actions. MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game."

The thing is, people playing an MMO with a RPG or FPS mentality want to play it alone...This ruins any MMO, because by definition you're supposed to group and "interact" with others.  My friends (some I've known for over 20 years since NWN) and I stick together and play  the same game.  The whole reason is because we like to ROLEPLAY like you're supposed to in a mmoRPg.  We can spend hours just sitting in a pub or catina (in this case) talking and roleplaying.  While the majority of people in MMOs only care about thier gear and level...gear and levels aren't what an MMO is about.  MMOs are about the community...

Edit: I've said this before too.  Those who call every game since WoW a WoW clone, there's a reason why they're so similar...because they're all MMOs!  The formula for an MMO hasn't really changed much since Neverwinter Nights...the original MMO...like I keep telling people.  If you're expecting something different, you're going to be disappointed everytime.  THAT'S WHAT AN MMO IS!

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

of carrying two players.

In SWTOR though the Ewok will be a proper companion like Bowdaar, not a pet thing like the Tauntaun (or familiars as they are called in SWG).

Beggars can not be choosers. I guess instead of bringing back SWG they are turning SWTOR into it, and they are trying to attract people of classic Star Wars. Virtually everyone knows the Original Trilogy, but only hardcore Star Wars fans get into The Old Republic etc

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Zippy

Look at Tor Status and you will see Tor has 10 NA servers left the rest are dead empty servers.  Europe has 3 servers left and the rest are dead and empty. 

Presently the server status across North America and Euorope is as follows:

1 Medium Server

4 Light Servers

8 Very light Servers

156 Dead Servers

At the current rate of decline the 8 very light servers will all be dead servers within 2 weeks and the light servers will be on the verge of dying. Looking at the 13 light servers left at best ToR has 300k players playing likely less than 200k.  But at the current rate of loss Tor will be down to 3 or 4 non dead servers in the next 3-4 weeks and will have less  than 100k players.

EA/BW since release has engaged in a campaign of misinformation to make peiople believe the game is doing well and has a lot  more subs than it actually has.  The facts simply do not bear that out.  Approaching server merges their latest attempt at deception is the "Mega Server" scam.  They want people to believe there will be mega servers taking the place of all these empty servers.  Looking at Tor Status on a daily bas since launch one can quickly see they do not have the population to support such mega servers.  Rather EA/Bioware realize that at the current decline the population will only be able to support 3-4 servers at most.  But they can save face and keep telling people they are successful with their mega server scam.  Plus it gives the fanboys a reason to make post after post telling people how successful Tor is.

With only 13 light servers left it is not arguable that there are mroe than 300k players left.  The Titantic is sinking and its almost entirely under water now.  There is nothing that can be done for this game at least in the short term.  Many games have recovered from bad launches but it takes years.  With the SW brand name and a few years of development time it could have a revivial down the road and be a 100-300k sub game.  But at least in the short term it is sinking quite fast.

Fuzzy Math. You are doing the same thing as EA/Bioware just on the other end. You're no better. 

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    Originally posted by Bardus
    Originally posted by Kakkzooka

I'm just wondering when the major review sites will come out of the woodwork and actually write honest articles about how shitty the game really is and how poorly it's performed, instead of perpetually shoveling bullshit.

Probably when the bribe money runs out. That's my best guess.

Yep, very good question. Before launch there was no shortage of reviews and the reviewers only had hrs in beta. Now the game has been out for months and I hear crickets.

No need in saying it. I know it was all paid reviews for promised ad space. Good luck convincing me otherwise.

On topic: I think the OP is closer to the truth than we're getting from the office but it is still just pulling numbers out his ass. No offense but yeah your guessing.

This isn't a constructive topic as much as it's a haters going to hate thread.

I dislike TOR as much as anyone but if your going to post something like this then bring cold hard undisputable facts or your claims are nothing but an obvious and intentional exaggeration, AKA hyperbole.

I wrote this just now in another thread but I'll repeat it here. 

Reviewers will never bash on Bioware, or Blizzard or any developer with a big name.  Why?  Because that developer might hold a grudge and not give any more future interviews, or invite them over to the offices, or give them an inside scoop.  Thats bad for a gaming publication of any kind.  Which is why you see small or no name developers who make a bad game get totally bombed in reviews.  Yet when a big name dev makes a game, bad or good, the reviews are going to always be good.  Dont want to insult them!  With good reason. 

This.

Reviewers are merely cheerleaders for the big guys. You will almost never, ever see a game get less than an 80% on their reviews.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Rydeson

SWTOR had a perfect IP and opportunity to make a game that could hold 1 million subs, but instead tried to make a co-op KOTOR with WoW like flavors to justify a monthly Sub..  I'm so disappointed in Bioware/EA

I am really confused as to why everyone seems to think that Bioware promised anything other then WoW + Star Wars. They said as much from the beginning. On top of that, I believe that EA pushed Bioware for release and lots of the money put into development never panned out into actual game systems.

That being said, this was still really fun to make: http://qkme.me/3pp6bn

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Istavaan

1.3 million my ass. it's more like 300 or 400k and dropping.

If I'd have to guess, then I'd guess this ^^ as well. The first 6 month subs will be running out in a bit over a month. Then they could go below 300K, but for now they're probably well above that in subs, not necessarily in number of people playing. The title does state players, and not subs for those disagreeing. I wonder if they'll be waving subs soon until they turn this into an actual MMO, just like with FF XIV.

It's a shame really, the concept could have been splendid, but they went the wrong way from the start by trying to copy WoW. Can't make a better WoW than WoW, certainly not on a crappy engine.

imageimage
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

If SWTOR really has only 200-300K players left, then EA will shut it down very quickly. They shut down E&B because it wasn't "profitable enough", so they definitely won't run a loss-making game.

So as long as SWTOR is open for business, it means EA are making "enough" profit, regardless of what third-party sites may say about the population image

Profit would mean they broke even already. With what this game cost I doubt that a lot.

The fact that it's open for business doesn't mean they made a profit, let alone "enough" of a profit. It's just bringing in more money than it costs to keep it open, and that's all they need to not close it for now.

imageimage
  • LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Profit would mean they broke even already. ...

Break even does not matter in accounting.

Break even is something you calculate or estimate before you begin with a project, after the project the term has no value, the money you spent to develop the game is gone (search the net for "sunk costs").

A project can be profitable to continue without ever reaching break even. You've sunk the cost to produce something, in this case SWTOR. As long as the revenue you generate in a financial year is higher than the costs in that year it's profitable - no matter whether break even has been reached or not.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Larsa
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Profit would mean they broke even already. ...

Break even does not matter in accounting.

Break even is something you calculate or estimate before you begin with a project, after the project the term has no value, the money you spent to develop the game is gone (search the net for "sunk costs").

A project can be profitable to continue without ever reaching break even. You've sunk the cost to produce something, in this case SWTOR. As long as the revenue you generate in a financial year is higher than the costs in that year it's profitable - no matter whether break even has been reached or not.

That doesn't carry well into games(especially MMOs) and devhouses producing them, mainly because of opportunity costs and limited skilled labor force.

In the end they very well have to decide between keeping artists, programmers and gamedesigners etc on SWTOR, or transfer them to another project from which they expect a higher rate of profit(laying off skilled people is a last resort, you only do that if you overextended yourself and have to cut down on costs, otherwise you would assign them to another project or create a new project). There are simply not that many people out there that can successfully deploy a AAA MMO that you can simply treat them like an expendable commodity which you just buy new ones off for your next project.

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by eycel

Maybee if they add, say...bears with lazersss the subs will return once again. :)

nah, i think sharks with lazers would appease the masses.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by VPgearchin
    Originally posted by eycel

Maybee if they add, say...bears with lazersss the subs will return once again. :)

nah, i think sharks with lazers would appease the masses.

They would have to be land sharks - no swimming allowed in SWTOR.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan
    Originally posted by fenistil

While I don't play Swtor and I really don't like what has became of BW - this hatewagon is a bit too much and gotten very old tbh

Sorry but SWTOR deserves every piece of hate it gets.  If we take the BigHatLogan formula of money invested per quality of game ratio it is the WORST GAME EVER MADE.  Interestingly enough, using the same formula the Star Wars prequels are the three worst movies ever made.    As far as the OP's post, you can only fit so many players on a server and the vast majority of servers are greyed out.  200 to 300k subs is probably a good guess.  I'm pretty surprised that their are even that many people out there that actually like SWTOR.    

[mod edit]

We got folks on here collecting door to door to get a MMO sandbox made(the repopulation), yet when a themepark sells a bunch of boxes(breaking records no less), and still is the 2nd most subbed NA game, you wanna cry "foul ball".

Here is a big shock for ya.....folks like different things in life. As I said, get over yourself. Had they made this game like SWG, the BW folks would of been panhandling with the rest of the wanna bees.

Now I would suggest if you want a MMO sandbox made, you get out there collecting donations with the usual list of individuals showing up here to fling poo.  Because no matter how many times you guys complain in this forum, you are getting no closer to  any AAA studios producing a game for ya.

At least the Repop Devs are trying to do something about it, rather drawing the ire of fellow gamers. The OP was nothing but a shit stir, and yet once again it is the same individuals chiming in like their testimonial is of consequense.

The TL;DR version would read show me any legitimate estimates on 200 to 300k subs, otherwise it is another "we want a sandbox" jealousy issue AFAIAC.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Danwarr

SWTOR had a perfect IP and opportunity to make a game that could hold 1 million subs, but instead tried to make a co-op KOTOR with WoW like flavors to justify a monthly Sub..  I'm so disappointed in Bioware/EA

I am really confused as to why everyone seems to think that Bioware promised anything other then WoW + Star Wars. They said as much from the beginning. On top of that, I believe that EA pushed Bioware for release and lots of the money put into development never panned out into actual game systems.

Since the very beginning you could easily tell that the game was riding solely on the Star Wars IP, BioWare's writting and nothing else.

I just wonder how anyone could believe that SWTOR was going to have strong gameplay when BWAustin refused to discuss many gameplay aspects only a few months before release. "We'll have all the expected MMO features" anyone?

I feast on the tears of all the disappointed fanbois who bought into the hype without ever using their critical thinking to evaluate the product they were purchasing.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by fundayz

Since the very beginning you could easily tell that the game was riding solely on the Star Wars IP, BioWare's writting and nothing else.

I just wonder how anyone could believe that SWTOR was going to have strong gameplay when BWAustin refused to discuss many gameplay aspects only a few months before release. "We'll have all the expected MMO features" anyone?

I feast on the tears of all the disappointed fanbois who bought into the hype without ever using their critical thinking to evaluate the product they were purchasing.

? I think it was pretty obvious what features and gameplay SWTOR would offer many months before release. Heck, I recall whole lists, threads and articles about it, for everyone who used an inkling of their brains and searching power and got off their lazy butts image

As for the whole 'feasting on the tears of yada yada', I find it extremely petty and immature, but hey, whatever, got used to that kinda attitude and thinking on this site.

Tears?

Like the GW2 fans out collecting pop bottles to afford the P2W mechanics? Or perhaps  simply the "GW2 beta isnt as good as we thought it was going to be" tears? You will need to clarify for us.

Nothing says "I am afraid I wasted my money buying a game I havent touched" like a GW2 fan showing up in this forum to run shit. We get it....you wanna feel better about dumping cash into a game that is not only far from launch, but could stand to go back to pre alpha build mode.

So spare us....we actually have a game to play for the money we spent. You? Not so much, and the way it is looking, it wont matter when it does actually show. It is pretty sad to see posts about folks already tiring of the game play over in those forums. The words Boring and Costly come to mind when someone mentions GW2. I am sure you can relate.

So you will forgive me if your attempts to taunt are met with redicule. Other than the MMO sandboxers hanging about here, GW2 fanbois are the next biggest joke in this forum.  So if being a TOR fan means I am exhibiting tears, I would have to say you folks on teetering on suicidal tendacies.

The TL;DR version would read "hyperbole is good eh?"

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Tears?

Like the GW2 fans out collecting pop bottles to afford the P2W mechanics? Or perhaps  simply the "GW2 beta isnt as good as we thought it was going to be" tears? You will need to clarify for us.

Nothing says "I am afraid I wasted my money buying a game I havent touched" like a GW2 fan showing up in this forum to run shit. We get it....you wanna feel better about dumping cash into a game that is not only far from launch, but could stand to go back to pre alpha build mode.

So spare us....we actually have a game to play for the money we spent. You? Not so much, and the way it is looking, it wont matter when it does actually show. It is pretty sad to see posts about folks already tiring of the game play over in those forums. The words Boring and Costly come to mind when someone mentions GW2. I am sure you can relate.

So you will forgive me if your attempts to taunt are met with redicule. Other than the MMO sandboxers hanging about here, GW2 fanbois are the next biggest joke in this forum.  So if being a TOR fan means I am exhibiting tears, I would have to say you folks on teetering on suicidal tendacies.

I don't know if you realize this, but he didn't say anything about GW2. 

Originally posted by colddog04

Tears?

I don't know if you realize this, but he didn't say anything about GW2. 

Know your fellow posters. :)