Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold farmers destroy Diablo 3 real money market in a day.

SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Yes and it happened very fast, the initial Real Money auction was in fact working as should, some people trying to sell for insane prices, obviously never actually selling a thing, others valued it at what they would pay for it themselves and were successful in doing so.

approximately 2 hours after it went live the market was flooded with all the high end items selling for 1-5 usd, items that others had successfully sold for much more, I for one sold a cple legendary rings for 20$ a piece...but hrs later noticed 100 of them listed....all being sold at $1.50usd, i knew it was going to happen, but i had hoped blizzard would have worked something out that banned overseas IPs :)....but they did not. (I know its asking a lot)

Purpose of thread is basically to discuss how easy it is for overseas gold farmers to completely destroy and in end result control a market...and im not just talking about MMO gold farming when i say that, it happens in almost every business market.  

Question is when do we push to have it stopped.

Personally i will not touch the real money trade anymore knowing that its controlled by overseas gold farmers, but all must know that they wouldnt be doing it if kids were not spending.

Comments

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

The sad thing is everyday players will never reap the rewards of the RMT AH, banning overseas IPS would be wonderful but honestly log into wow and watch the spam hell even in D3 the general chat is full of them. I must have reported dozens gold sellers but to no avail they are like cockaroaches and in the end ruin it for everyday players.

Just a thought maybe Blizz did that and seeded the market like CCP does in a way in EvE.

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130

Sorry but what is the point in buying items in Diablo3? The end-game is finding items. So people go and purchase items so they don't get to play the end-game and therefore quit the game? Such a failed system.

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I'm ecstatic that this happened.  Many of us said this would happen, told blizzard it was a bad idea to try the "if you can't beat em, join em" idea.

Maybe now people will start realizing blizzard is not the company it once was.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Xarnthal

Sorry but what is the point in buying items in Diablo3? The end-game is finding items. So people go and purchase items so they don't get to play the end-game and therefore quit the game? Such a failed system.

I said something similar on another thread.  Buy stuff + beat the game = Ummm...now what? :-(

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

There are six and a half million people playing the game, and they all know about the RMTAH and they are all using the same one. The odds of this not happening were zero, gold farmers or not. People have probably been saving up their epic items ever since they started playing the game, just so they could sell items and not have to pay for WoW time.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

I don't really care, hadn't planned on buying items from the RMAH.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by eayes

The problem if you havent noticed is all the stuff thats worth buying is not on the regular gold AH because everyone thinks they're gonna make bookoo bucks on the RMAH.  It was epic fail from the point it was an idea...

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I saw on tom's hardware that  you need an authenticator to use the RMAH.  That wasn't part of the initial sales.  I want to get a full  refund.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Xarnthal

Look at it this way, if people never bought gold to buy items in a game we would not have the CGF (Chinese Gold Farmer) infestation we have in ALL games right now. People buy items so they can be uber plain and simple, whether it is in D3, WoW, EQ2, Rift whatever players buy from them so they can have the gold to buy what they perceive as Uber gear etc. I think Blizz knew this going in and tried to captalize on it, while I do not condone it I understand where they are coming from.

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

I'm ecstatic that this happened.  Many of us said this would happen, told blizzard it was a bad idea to try the "if you can't beat em, join em" idea.

Actually it's brilliant. Now maybe all the stupid people will stop going to third party sites to pay to have their accounts hacked.

Originally posted by waynejr2

I saw on tom's hardware that you need an authenticator to use the RMAH. That wasn't part of the initial sales. I want to get a full refund.

So get one. Others have.

Oh, I didn't know others have.  Thanks for the info!

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

I had no intention of buying either, strictly was going to sell off legendary items and materials.  I mean to have that option typically when used you can pay off the game purchase, as i said i sold two legendary items today @ $20 a piece...blizzard took almost $8 of that though lol.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by salenger

Yes and it happened very fast, the initial Real Money auction was in fact working as should, some people trying to sell for insane prices, obviously never actually selling a thing, others valued it at what they would pay for it themselves and were successful in doing so.

approximately 2 hours after it went live the market was flooded with all the high end items selling for 1-5 usd, items that others had successfully sold for much more, I for one sold a cple legendary rings for 20$ a piece...but hrs later noticed 100 of them listed....all being sold at $1.50usd, i knew it was going to happen, but i had hoped blizzard would have worked something out that banned overseas IPs :)....but they did not. (I know its asking a lot)

Purpose of thread is basically to discuss how easy it is for overseas gold farmers to completely destroy and in end result control a market...and im not just talking about MMO gold farming when i say that, it happens in almost every business market.  

Question is when do we push to have it stopped.

Personally i will not touch the real money trade anymore knowing that its controlled by overseas gold farmers, but all must know that they wouldnt be doing it if kids were not spending.

Does it matter if the RMAH has been taken over by farmers? 

If you sell something for 1.50 instead of 20 you are still making money off a game, isn't that amazing in itself not matter how much you make?

We all knew farmers would take control, like they do with every single AH in every single MMO. Why is this a sudden shock to everyone? If you won't touch this AH then I presume you don't go near any AH in any MMO? They're all controlled by farmers.

I'll say it again, you can still beat farmers prices and still make REAL LIFE MONEY from a VIDEO GAME. No you won't be able to make a living off it (like a lot of people actually believed they could) but you might be able to get a pack of cigs, or pay for your monthly MMO sub. 

Get over it.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Actually it's brilliant. Now maybe all the stupid people will stop going to third party sites to pay to have their accounts hacked.

I saw on tom's hardware that you need an authenticator to use the RMAH. That wasn't part of the initial sales. I want to get a full refund.

So get one. Others have.

Yes that was some quality posting and  information!

Regardless, you can get a free authenticator if you have a smart phone with andriod or IOS.  I think even the sms authentication works.

As far as getting a refund, it's definitely possible.  However, you must have bought the game through battle.net digitally and it must be within 30 days of purchase.  As far as I know you must call the 800-BLIZZARD number and speak to phone rep, I was not able to get a refund through a support ticket.  Just call and ask for a refund, they wont even ask questions. 

I got a refund so it's definitely possible.  Only game in my 25+ years of gaming that I bothered to do that with.  Be forewarned...it took me five days of calling to finally get through.  I finally got through to a real person after being on hold on for almost two hours after calling at 7:30 AM PST on a Saturday morning.  Plan for it!

EDIT:  On topic, the RMAH sucks.  However Blizzard is happily rolling in all that money they make from the fees :)

• ParameterParameter Member Posts: 56

I had no intention of buying either, strictly was going to sell off legendary items and materials.  I mean to have that option typically when used you can pay off the game purchase, as i said i sold two legendary items today @ $20 a piece...blizzard took almost $8 of that though lol.

Seeing as Blizzard takes only $1.00 per trade, I call bullshit.  I bet you haven't sold a thing.

Originally posted by Worstluck

So get one. Others have.

Regardless, you can get a free authenticator if you have a smart phone with andriod or IOS.  I think even the sms authentication works.

As far as getting a refund, it's definitely possible.  However, you must have bought the game through battle.net digitally and it must be within 30 days of purchase.  As far as I know you must call the 800-BLIZZARD number and speak to phone rep, I was not able to get a refund through a support ticket.  Just call and ask for a refund, they wont even ask questions. 

I got a refund so it's definitely possible.  Only game in my 25+ years of gaming that I bothered to do that with.  Be forewarned...it took me five days of calling to finally get through.  I finally got through to a real person after being on hold on for almost two hours after calling at 7:30 AM PST on a Saturday morning.  Plan for it!

EDIT:  On topic, the RMAH sucks.  However Blizzard is happily rolling in all that money they make from the fees :)

I didn't see a phone requirement for it when I purchased the game.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

So to sum it up... I am a greedy SOB who planned to quit my job and just rip people off on Diablo 3 and these damn people that play more than me or have better luck than me are turning this in to a free market where competition keeps prices down... WAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195
    Originally posted by Parameter

Seeing as Blizzard takes only $1.00 per trade, I call bullshit.  I bet you haven't sold a thing.

it's $1 per item and a 15% paypal fee to actually get your money. So it's closer to $5.70.  Unless he's not on a U.S. server in which case I have no idea how much and it could be $8.00.

rather than taking cash out of paypal can you avoid the paypal fee by just using the paypal funds to make other purchases?

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269
    Originally posted by Worstluck

So get one. Others have.

I didn't see a phone requirement for it when I purchased the game.

Eh, phone requirement?  Was just trying to be helpful.  Have fun with whatever it is you do :D

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Blizzard knows all this.  They probably would have just sold the items directly instead of using auction, but that would have gotten them too much bad press.  Their next game they probably will just sell items direct and say 'its better than gold farmers, guys!'

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

The people that bought items right away on the RMAH are impatient fools.  The people that HAVE TO GET GODLY now will be overpaying and regretting it later.

The RMAH sounds about right, it's the gold AH that's still a bit of a mess pricing wise.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

@OP

The adjective "overseas" is irrelevent to any discussion of the topic.

Even in the absense of any overt farming, the market for any given item is going to be in a constant state of collapse - items are constantly entering the game as people play and leaving the game as they become obsolete by better gear.   So stats that cost $1 will cost $0.10 soon and $.01 a little while after that.  This is inevitable outcome of supply and demand - there's nothing to stop.

Besides, the entire concept of buying from the auction house is a head-scratcher.    The entire game is a gear grind treadmill ... that's ALL it is.   Buying gear just raises your threshold of what you would consider a better gear drop, so all you are buying is further nerfing of how often you get a "hey, I've found a better piece of gear!" sensation.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

The sad thing is everyday players will never reap the rewards of the RMT AH, banning overseas IPS would be wonderful but honestly log into wow and watch the spam hell even in D3 the general chat is full of them. I must have reported dozens gold sellers but to no avail they are like cockaroaches and in the end ruin it for everyday players.

Just a thought maybe Blizz did that and seeded the market like CCP does in a way in EvE.

An important detail: Diablo 3 chat was full of gold spam, prior to an official RMAH.

Time will tell if goldspammers can actually compete and survive in a world where everyone in the world is bolstering the supply of goods (basic supply/demand tells us that increasing the supply by a bazillion percent will tank the price like crazy.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Axehilt

An important detail: Diablo 3 chat was full of gold spam, prior to an official RMAH.

Time will tell if goldspammers can actually compete and survive in a world where everyone in the world is bolstering the supply of goods (basic supply/demand tells us that increasing the supply by a bazillion percent will tank the price like crazy.)

I think prices will just crash .. gold farmer or not. Think about it. All the good items are going to stay in game unless destroyed by players. More and more items will be found. So supply is growing and growing. New demand, OTOH, comes from either new players, or players making NEW toons. Both have a limit.

In the long run, prices will go low anyway.

It is not a problem though ... sooner or later .... a toon will be decking out in good gear, and finish Inferno. It takes a long enough time for that to happen .. and it lasted as a fun game, until the expansion, of course.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

The sad thing is everyday players will never reap the rewards of the RMT AH, banning overseas IPS would be wonderful but honestly log into wow and watch the spam hell even in D3 the general chat is full of them. I must have reported dozens gold sellers but to no avail they are like cockaroaches and in the end ruin it for everyday players.   Just a thought maybe Blizz did that and seeded the market like CCP does in a way in EvE.

Yeah... those gold farmers will have a tough time surviving in a game that was engineered entirely for their benefit.

The guy who said he was ecstatic nailed it... we have been predicting this since the day it was announced.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Sorry for the confusion there Axe but i did not mean it just started due to the RMAH, I know it has been happening for weeks, which I thought I conveyed by saying I have reported dozens.