Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Our Official Diablo III Review

Comments

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    The game isn't an 8.5 mass effect 3 wasn't a 9 and a couple of weak screenshots and misplaced review categories isn't impressive either. This is from someone who is still playing and enjoying D3.

Not worth a 10 year wait but there are worse games. SC2 was a nice upgrade but D3 isn't at that level and, these most sold games records are not very relevant considering things like population growth and currency inflation. I bet some average game beats these stats in 2020. What these stats do reflect is how incompetent we all are, we buy a game that requires an Internet connection for single player mode, but can barely play in the first 48 hours because of sever issues.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

How exactly can the OP honestly rate the game as a 8.5 when the network stability is one of the cons listed and its required to play the game?

• shawnpatshawnpat Member UncommonPosts: 74
    you guys are right, 8.5, shoulda been at least a 9, terrible review, sry its not WoW folks but its not SUPPOSED to be !!
  • neve1272neve1272 Member UncommonPosts: 44

i too feel that the review was a tad bit positive

value its not the best bang for buck if ur not the OCD type/should have had more story /cut scene ect.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Just wanna stop by and join the lols@value10/10.  smh

Carry on.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Diablo 3 was kinda fun.....till inferno, where it turned into a giant piece of crap. Im sorry but the difficulty mechanic of "1 shotting the player = hard" is BS, especialy with the way you have to move around in that game AND how latency effects what happens. I put 60 hours in and im done, uninstall, thanks blizz but 1.0.3 is taking WAY too long to deploy and I have other things to do but run around for hours getting 1 shot in inferno....

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by RainBringer

I would be fairly surprised if Any Bigname game doesnt get a >8.0 staff review on this site. Its either that these "reviews" are a sellout to the ones who pay for the adverts on mmorpg.com or the reviewer is just a over enthusiastic wide eye`d boy (no offence Mike but thats what you are coming off as IMHO).

It begs the question: when was the last time MMORPG.com gave less than an 8.5 - 9.0 to any product put out by one of their major advertisers...

I have been coming to this stie a long while, and I can't remember that EVER happening...

As a matter of fact, if you click over to the review listing (don't take my word for it), and scroll down and review everything getting an 8.5 or better, virtually every single one has had a major banner on here...

But I am sure that is just a co-incidence...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Adam1902

Woah, that's a high review.

I LOVE this game and am severely addicted to it at the momant, but still I think maybe 8.5 is a little too high. The only problems with it are, the campaign is less than 24 hours long

What ARPGs have a campaign longer than 24 hours?  D2 is the standard and it wasn't any longer.  TL was shorter, TQ was about the same.  The genre is built around rerunning content, not palying the campaign once and quitting.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

/gasp in disbelief

/sigh at the ignorance

/laugh because what else is there to do

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I seem to be one of the few that would only give this game a rating of about a 4/10. I just can't seem to get past the horrible control and wanting to move, but instead my character decides to attach a guy instead. I am just glad I got the game free because of the anual pass for wow otherwise I would be more upset. Most of the people I know have already quit it as well after beating the short story one time.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

I would give it 6/10... Its not a terrible game. There are some good things I can mention. There is potential. But its very obvious that the game is designed to force you to spend money. The droprates are to low and inferno feels like a very obvious gear check. And if you want better gear you will have to buy it. If the developers had the freedom to create the best game they could imagine it could have been great. But I dont think they had that freedom. There was pressure that made them think about profit first. And today it becomes obvious that the most fun game is not always the most profitable game. At least short term... And people making decisions in big corporations always think short term. They love the profita not the products. I guess the days when gamers made games for other gamers are gone. No passion and no visions...

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

I love how the author of the article can't tell the difference between "characters" and "population".

1.9% of the characters had unlocked inferno. Very different than "population" when the average characters per player is 3.

Just one example on how that wonderful dev blog with so much great information has been misinterpreted, skewed and overall misused and why most companies don't share such great data like this.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

This was a decent review.

Heres a bad review

http://sandboxer.org/?p=1049

• MCPtzMCPtz Member Posts: 1

One thing I disagree on.

I think Longevity should be 5/10.

Reasons:

1. Every character in Diablo 2 is its own journey. I have a level 60 witch doctor. I can see no reason to ever create a new Witch Doctor. In Diablo 3, a level 60 witch doctor is exactly equivalent to another level 60 witch doctor. In Diablo 2, two level 80 necromancers can be completely different. Each character in Diablo 2 has its own path to Hell difficulty and beyond. Stat and skill points are allocated separately, allowing for some freedom. Stat points boil down to gear selection in top level play, minimum str/dex, max vit, and no energy. In Diablo 3 there is no such option. This brings me to my next point.

2. Six skills in Diablo 3 versus 16 skills in Diablo 2. In Diablo 3 they can be hot swapped and interchanged, which sounds nice at first, but there are some drawbacks I found. First obvious step with six skills: Don't allow them to be swapped in the middle of battle. We're supposed to pick six skills at a time and then if we have a breather, let's change it to better suit the next boss, area, or tough champion pack. But with Nephalem Valor, there is incentive in game to NOT swap out skills based on the next situation. Therefore my detailed breakdown of each step in the game is worthless. Nephalem Valor's bonuses to magic find are immediately removed if a player swaps out skills, even by accidentally dragging a skill from the skill bar at the bottom of the screen. Nehpalem Valor is designed to help players want to kill champion packs, perhaps on the way to a boss. I like this. I always enjoyed roaming around looking for the baddest enemies in the highest level areas in Diablo 2, rather than endlessly running Baal. However, while a Witch Doctor has several very useful skills: Confusion, Horrify, Fetishes, Wall of Zombies, Haunt, Zombie Bears, Splinter Darts, Gargantuan, Hex, and many more. I am limited to six. So I not only choose six, I have to pick six which will work for all scenarios in order to stack Nephalem Valor. Therefore I must use the biggest hammer to over power every situation I come across. If I had more freedom, I might use specific skills for specific enemies This brings me to my final point.

3. In the highest difficulty, Damage per Second is the most important stat. It is the biggest hammer of them all and solves most problems by simply making them go away before anything bad happens. If anything, every skill I pick is aimed to compliment DPS and the often times, 'oh shit' moments when DPS doesn't work immediately. I have very little freedom to handle a difficult enemy the way I think is best because I am stuck with six skills.

As it currently is, I think Diablo 3 will suffer a drop in players over the long term.

With my Level 60 Witch Doctor, I have bested normal, nightmare, hell, and even moved onto Act 3 Inferno, using the Auction House to the best of my abilities to upgrade as much as possible, grinding out some gold and (worthless) items on my journey. And now, I have no desire to start a new class. I don't want to play a Demon Hunter nor Wizard as they are also ranged, with slightly different properties. I don't even want to try a melee class. I don't see the difference in the journey anymore. I just see 'MAX DPS.'

I am not the type of player who enjoys collecting items, so I give one type of player the benefit of the doubt.

• truce12truce12 Member Posts: 26

Affter the first stage this game is not worth the tim e investment.60 bucks for 10 hrs of actual fun gameplay is not worth it.

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113

Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, and now Diablo. Proof you can make a trash game and still have it sell successfully because of the IP name. I loved all three of those game series and then watched them all crumble.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

lol @ longevity and value indeed as someone earlier stated. Someone said that the game will be expanded on and etc so I'm guessing an expansion? You do realize that blizz will charge money for it. God forbid they release something for free :O. No I'm not a hater. I love the combat and gameplay but... just not worth $60... story is kinda meh.

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I'd say the score is about right.  The good thing is that they are on top of the problems and are already working to fix them.

As far as longevity goes.  I've already played like 120 hours of D3.  I have two chars in Inferno, plan to take a Wizard and WD there as well.  I've also started a second Barbarian that will only use gear he finds or buys from vendors.

Given the fact that D3 has some work to be done even after 1.03, I'll probably give TL2 a try.  TL1 only lasted me a week, but I'm hoping TL2 will last a bit longer.  They've held on to some crappy design decisions from D1 and D2, but mods can alleviate those issues.  I'm positive I won't get anywhere near the same number of hours per dollar spent with TL2 that I will with D3.  But it should still be good for when battlenet is down.

Yeah but at least TL2 is only 20 bucks instead of 60, you could buy 3 copies of TL2, one for you, and 2 friends for what Diablo III costs, so i'm going to have to disagree that Diablo III is better bang for the buck here....

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Ironman2000

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I'd say the score is about right.  The good thing is that they are on top of the problems and are already working to fix them.

As far as longevity goes.  I've already played like 120 hours of D3.  I have two chars in Inferno, plan to take a Wizard and WD there as well.  I've also started a second Barbarian that will only use gear he finds or buys from vendors.

Given the fact that D3 has some work to be done even after 1.03, I'll probably give TL2 a try.  TL1 only lasted me a week, but I'm hoping TL2 will last a bit longer.  They've held on to some crappy design decisions from D1 and D2, but mods can alleviate those issues.  I'm positive I won't get anywhere near the same number of hours per dollar spent with TL2 that I will with D3.  But it should still be good for when battlenet is down.

Yeah but at least TL2 is only 20 bucks instead of 60, you could buy 3 copies of TL2, one for you, and 2 friends for what Diablo III costs, so i'm going to have to disagree that Diablo III is better bang for the buck here....

If you preorder TL2 on Steam, you get a copy of TL1 at no extra cost. And if you already own it, you can give your new copy to a friend.

You actually get 4x TL1+2 bundles for that price, the 4-bundle deal costs the same as 3 singles. So you and 3 friends can get both TL games for roughly the same price as a single D3... ;P

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Spotty B.net service?  Really?  I haven't had any lag or any disconnects since the day after launch.  Either you are lying or you have had some pretty horrendous luck.  

lol

• DomenicusDomenicus Member UncommonPosts: 290

I played D2... Until I perceived that the game was only smash button on everything... I started to play it with closed eyes... Then I realized that I could have a fair amount of success playing it blindly and clicking the mouse button madly... All that worked for no more than 5 minutes. I never came back to Diablo...

Call me hater if you wish, but  Blizzard is a company who makes money only making some genres dumber and polished for the masses.... Diablo is a dumb down version of RPG of old... is simple, polished and dumb as hell... Warcraft (the RTS, in fact, bringed up by Warcraft popularity) is a dumb down of strategy games like Civilization, Master of Magic, and WoW is a dumb down of games like Ultima Online and SWG... I am sorry for all Blizzard lovers, but this company have hurt badly all kind of games I enjoy.... Please, please, Blizzard, stay away from Elder Scrolls, never EVER try to make a free roaming game!!! I do love Elder Scrolls, GTA... Let at least this genre for people like me!!!

• insanelimainsanelima Member Posts: 1

Stopped reading  when i saw this : " I made it a bit above 30 for our review"

Not enough to write a review

You have no idea about itemization, difficulty past normal (you shouldnt just write a review based on other peoples opinions), half the skills and possibilites of at least ONE character...

Go play more so that you can face at least half the flaws and bugs that this game has.

Then you can write something meaningful and accurate

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Longevity 9.5 out of 10?

When every person I know who has played this says it is going to be short a game? Besides how do you give a game a longevity rating when its only been out a few weeks? And you only made it to 30? Guesstimate, and in this case appallingly wrong.

• MartianDeusMartianDeus Member Posts: 7

Good review.  You're right on the "easy" thing about normal.  Kind of wish they gave an option asking "are you familiar with games like Diablo?" before starting on Normal, and giving a slightly increased difficulty based  on that for Normal mode.  I have friends who quit already b/c they were too bored to get through Normal.

• DaduHulkDaduHulk Member UncommonPosts: 28

Disagree with the review. The game is basically a re-hash of D2. Actually, I was playing D2 the other day (single player and had no connection, so...) and it turns out the ONLY thing I was missing was the gold auto-pickup. Try it, you will see.

Only 1.8% has gone past L30. Why? Because by then you finished the normal game. And now, you have to re-do the whole story with just more/harder of the same monsters? Boring... I only did it for a while trying to upgrade my gem/armorer guys, and even that got boring. I am trying other classes to see if it gets any better/fun, so far doing a wizard its weird enough to keep me playing, but otherwise... humm.

Longevity. Well, maybe, if this is the only choice, and as stated, for Diablo fans, well, there isn't anything else to do.  Who knows, maybe I have outgrown this kind of game. Loot used to be the prize, now, AH takes care of it. I try to not use it, but basically has devalued everything you do.

I would rather solo GW (yes, the original and expansions) than redo D3 again.