Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unable to launch application.

ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

I just keep getting this message "unable to launch application" everytime I try to run the game. The game was working fine a few weeks ago on my comp. Any ideas?

Comments

• SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

if you have issues with being "Unable to Launch the Application" go to Start ---> Run ---> then type 'javaws -viewer' and select Wurm Online from the list, then delete it. Now, close the Java Cache Viewer and transition to the "Security" tab in the Java Control Panel window. Click the "Show Certificates..." button and delete the Wurm Online certificate. Now, redownload the latest client and install. The issue should resolve itself. If not, I'd advise updating your version of the JRE, particularly if you're running a 64-bit system with the 32-bit version of Java installed (also, if so, download the x64 one).

For some reason, as with Apple's iTunes, the default download of the JRE is the 32-bit (x86) version, hence you should definitely check that you're running the appropriate one for your OS.

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

Thanks for your help I reaaly appreciate it. However I still can't seem to get it to work. I've tried everything you have told me and I am also running the correct version of java (up to date also)

• SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

Don't mention it, mate. Wurm Online is one of my all-time favorites MMOs (primarily out of respect to the community it fostered), hence I'm always glad to oblige a fellow past-or-present player in getting back to it... still, your issue is confusing. Typically, that little workaround functions quite aptly.

* Have you manually updated recently? There was a patch two days ago, you might have missed it. Try that then attempt to re-connect.

* Are you using the most recent stable client? If utilizing either one of the Unstable or Test clients, swap to a stable build and attempt connecting.

* The administrator's (Rolf, et al) are notoriously poor at updating the website with server-status messages, typically resorting to last-minute Twitters. It might help to drop by the Wurm IRC channel and make a quick inquiry concerning such (irc.rizon.net / #wurm). I'd do so on your behalf, but, unfortunately, I've no IRC-client on this computer (mIRC is quite small and quick to install, if you're also lacking a client).

* Finally, unlikely but still a possible culprit, is the Java WebStart Launcher applet, which is used to initiate Wurm from your browser. If you access the game by simply hitting the "Play" button on the Wurm homepage and opting to run the JNLP with such, you may be encountering this very bug (you can find it referenced in the Oracle Bug Database as 5057141). Download the JNLP direct to your computer and then launch it from there, which may resolve the issue if all else fails (and, of course, assuming none of the prior solutions are pertinent).

Get back to me if you continue having issues and best of luck...

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by SaintGraye 
     It might help to drop by the Wurm IRC channel and make a quick inquiry concerning such (irc.rizon.net / #wurm). I'd do so on your behalf, but, unfortunately, I've no IRC-client on this computer (mIRC is quite small and quick to install, if you're also lacking a client).

I don't think you need a stand-alone irc client these days -- at least, I am able to click http://rizon.net/chat  and then type #wurm as the channel, (make up some nick and don't worry about a password, unless you want your nick reserved for you) -- works for me in both google chrome and Internet Explorer.

I always download the wurmclient.jnlp then right-cleck the file and "LAUNCH" and that works for me. I only need to redownload the JNLP when there has been an update, though I sometimes had to also clear the java cache (run "javaws -viewer"  commandline, then delete cached copies of wurm). Otherwise I just have it dragged to my windows taskbar and right-click-launch it from there.

If that doesn't help,  someone in the irc channel (there are ALWAYS people there)  can probably walk you through a fix step by step, so definitely give that a try oif you are still having some issues.

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

After trying everything I can think of I still can't seem to get this fixed:(

I get the error: Unexpected end of file from server, with a bunch of other codes underneath when I look in to more details of the crash.