Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me?

AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

Did I hit my head real f_cuking hard recently or am I the only person out there that thinks this game is crap?

I don't want to start a flame war or any of that sh_t but I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of love this game is getting.

I'd actually call myself a Diablo 'fan-boy' to some extent and I was really stoked about this game but I find it so boring it hurts me to play it now - logged in about 10 times max since purchase.

Now some people are gonna go "well, if you don;t play it more you won't find out what's so good will you?". If I'm bored to death with it already there's lim chance of that TBH.

The MMOs I've had a go at in recent years have p_ssed all over this game for me. I know, I know they're different games, but shits shit, end of. I can honestly say that I would much rather play D&D, WAR, AoC and definitely RIFT over D3. As for GW2, that eats it alive and I've only spent a bit of time in the BWEs.

Please explain to me what the hell I am missing or is this just the video game equivalent of the average teen pop sensation, who's basically rough/mediocre but who the media hype machine portrays as the sexiest thing alive?

This game just screams 'king with no clothes' to me.

It's lost on me but I'm not mad about it or anything (it was only £25 at the end of the day), just massively confused by it's popularity.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I don't buy any Activision games anymore because of it... same applies to Blizzard.

Starcraft 2? Psh. (Even Warcraft 3 was disappointing, imo)

The only difference between the two companies is that Blizz gets all the time in the world to make an underwhelming rehash of the same stuff it's been making for the past decade.

/FlameproofCoat

I also think a major part of it is that the fans build the products up so big beforehand that they refuse to admit to any failings once faced with it, even though it's niggling them the whole time. Saving face, and all that.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

You cannot please all of the people all of the time.  I think the COD and BF games are shite but millions will disagree, it's the same deal with D3.  Nothing any one can say will suddenly make you like D3, but do remember millions are loving it right now.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Someone else described ths in a few simple but perfect words:

Diablo III is a single player MMO.

Cookie cutter builds, fotm classes, loot is not interesting (aka auras on gear, chances on strike or when struck, percentages of stats like 5% more mana), the "better" gear is just bigger numbers, nothing special on it (you farm for 5 more Vit, 10 more int/dex/str, 5 more resists), the cap level is attainable in 1-2 days,, really unfair (not hard, just unfair and cheap) difficulty implementation, MMO-style (one screw up = wipe). In two words, MMO-Diablo-progression-style. It's just so much different from the former versions that actually, if you really liked and played the others for a long time, it's just a very very slim chance to be happy about what you have now.

LINEAR ITEMISATION IS BORING

• MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96
    To OP, 

No your not alone, I've been trying to tell people this before it launched.
    The issue is, this diablo is linear, you can not explore.
    You must play the game the way they have it layed out, This makes it easier so they don't have to make as much content for the players.

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

I am disappointed as well OP.

The CGI n most of the story was great.

Replayability though as compared to D2 is just not there yet.

Stats all preassigned n loot is boring mostly.

Who knows, hopefully with patching etc it will get better.

I also miss the darker look n feel of D2 rather then the WoW'ish feel D3 went with.

Path of Exile looks to be the true D2 successor once it is released.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

I really really wanted to like this and to buy it, but in the end, got to try the guest version for free and played through until the Skeleton king.

the entire 3 hours it took me with two characters were so bland and boring that I was forced to watch a movie in the background to keep entertained.

so yeah, it's definitely not the game I would pay 60$ for

also, about 2000 (out of 2500) people agree with you on metacritic, so don't feel alone

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by MMORPGtester
    To OP, 

You must play the game the way they have it layed out, This makes it easier so they don't have to make as much content for the players.

It's an ARPG. Of course it's linear. There are certainly things worthy of criticism but that's just silly.

You cant skip quest or explore like you could in D2. In D2 you only had to do quests directly related to killing the acts last boss. The rest of the quests you could skip and return and complete later. You could skip "den of evil" and most stat , resistance and skill quests.  In D3 you must complete quest1 to be allowed to do quest2 and explore areas related to quest2. And complete quest2 if you want to progress to quest3 and related areas and content. And so on...

This design is more linear and different compared to D2. And there is no reason why ARPG:s in general should be designed like that. They can be...But some players dont like it.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Aryas

Did I hit my head real f_cuking hard recently or am I the only person out there that thinks this game is crap?

I don't want to start a flame war or any of that sh_t but I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of love this game is getting.

I'd actually call myself a Diablo 'fan-boy' to some extent and I was really stoked about this game but I find it so boring it hurts me to play it now - logged in about 10 times max since purchase.

Now some people are gonna go "well, if you don;t play it more you won't find out what's so good will you?". If I'm bored to death with it already there's lim chance of that TBH.

The MMOs I've had a go at in recent years have p_ssed all over this game for me. I know, I know they're different games, but shits shit, end of. I can honestly say that I would much rather play D&D, WAR, AoC and definitely RIFT over D3. As for GW2, that eats it alive and I've only spent a bit of time in the BWEs.

Please explain to me what the hell I am missing or is this just the video game equivalent of the average teen pop sensation, who's basically rough/mediocre but who the media hype machine portrays as the sexiest thing alive?

It's lost on me but I'm not mad about it or anything (it was only £25 at the end of the day), just massively confused by it's popularity.

Aryas

It's not just you..

It's VERY MUCH overhyped and very short, Well fans claim that it's alright to consider the diffrent difficulty levels part of what is making Diablo 3 long..But since when did we consider a game that has diffrent difficulty levels "extra content", just because they made it unlockable ..? (Yes I know this is how the former Diablos worked)

1 . Diablo 3 is a short game

2 Diablo 3 is a easy (very easy) and easy for me at nightmare(havent gone farther)

3. After you play it once, the loot hunt starts ? But Why..? To sell stuff at the auction house ?

There is simply so much better games out there, even in the ARPG genre..

If they have made it longer and more open ended, and with graphics actually close to 2012 it may have been worth the 60 dollars i payd. This game has less content than most indie titles and get's away with costing 3 times as much just beacuse it's Blizzard.

Just play Borderlands instead..and soon Borderlands 2 or Torchlight 2 ...Helll even Drakensang(FTP) is starting to shape up real nice.

But aslong as 6 Mil players pay up 60 dollars including me, Blizzard will have nothing to worrie about, It's just hype.

• ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85

I absolutely loved SC2, as well as WC3.  That being said, I do wish they had done some things different in D3.  I miss the old boss raids that D2 provided.  I wish they had made the final boss fights much more challenging, but with the best loot in the game.  Something that has already been discussed at length however.  Anyone else holding out for Titan?

Originally posted by Hurvart
    To OP, 

It's an ARPG. Of course it's linear. There are certainly things worthy of criticism but that's just silly.

You cant skip quest or explore like you could in D2. In D2 you only had to do quests directly related to killing the acts last boss. The rest of the quests you could skip and return and complete later. You could skip "den of evil" and most stat , resistance and skill quests.  In D3 you must complete quest1 to be allowed to do quest2 and explore areas related to quest2. And complete quest2 if you want to progress to quest3 and related areas and content. And so on...

This design is more linear and different compared to D2. And there is no reason why ARPG:s in general should be designed like that. They can be...But some players dont like it.

No it's pretty much the same. There are huge chunks of content you can skip if you like. The story quests must be completed in order or the game makes no sense. What they have done is break the enviroments down into smaller chunks so you don't end up doing as much content over every time you leave the game.

No..You cant skip any quests like you could in D2.  At least not if you play it like a single player game. Only way to skip things is to join other peoples games. But that is not intended and will be patched. You are supposed to complete all the quests in act1 before you can progress to act2. And complete quest1 to unlock quest2 and so on. There is other content not related to quest you can skip. But the quest design and the quest content is linear and on rails....

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    To OP, 

No it's pretty much the same. There are huge chunks of content you can skip if you like. The story quests must be completed in order or the game makes no sense. What they have done is break the enviroments down into smaller chunks so you don't end up doing as much content over every time you leave the game.

Backwards logic.

Noone cares about the story by the 4th time he does it (and just resetting quests completely invalidates you point about "making sense"), and you cannot really compare the current "locked gates everywhere" progression to the 1-2 things you had to really do in d2 PER ACT.

Flame on!

:)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

It's a great game.  It has the best combat and animations of any ARPG.

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

Aryas

not just you, the class build system is ok, not great, the game overall is ok. It becomes pointless to the point where it is just about making money in the RMAH.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    To OP, 

+1 Zymurgeist.  There are flaws, and for all intents and purposes, it looks like Blizzard is addressing some of them in their latest patches, but to pick the whole "linear" thing is utterly ridiculous considering the nature of the two previous incarnations.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

It's just as boring as any other ARPG on the market - for _me_. In my opinion, you had to hit your head very hard to enjoy D1 and D2, too. I mean, walking through the same storyline 3 times? Really? Why don't just make all the game quests into "hey, there is a random dungeon with a Big Phat Loot in it. Now go get that phat loot, my Hero!"

But for others the whole concept of pointing at enemies with a cursor with left mouse button pressed is the pinnacle of ecstasy. (And then you collect loot! So you can go to another dungeon built from the same rooms populated by the same enemies to press LMB and to collect even more loot! Yay!)

So, you (OP) are perfectly normal. It's just not a game for you. You really shouldn't have spent your money on it. I mean, there was D1 and D2. You were warned.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I played it,beat the skeleton king..

then went back to play Fallout 3 lol.

The first Diablo was magic,every version after it is just Ehh

They highly 'easy moded' Diablo 3.....and no,I dont want to play through it to unlock the difficulty just so I can play through it again.

60$ waste

The fourth time you run it you don't have to complete any quests. Once you've completed inferno you can jump to whatever part you want at any difficulty level. The story quests arent all the quests though. You can skip all the events and side dungeons and run straght for the endings. That's how people have manged to finish the game in a matter of hours.

You're complaining because the game has more  content? Seriously?

Would not that be the fifth time? :)

So you say that after i eventually finish inferno, i wont have to drag along any npcs, wait for their blabber to finish, skip cutscenes and so on, nice to know :)

/sarcasm off

Im not complaining there is more content (which we can argue about, since "side quests" are mostly events similar to a monster shrine or evil urn, and they kinda killed the whole "clean the whole dungeon for drops" thing with the focus on rares), im complaining the game (quests, npcs) are constantly in my face, which they werent in d2, and that made the experience more pleasant for me (especially the leveling of "alts"), contrary to your claim that "it is the same".

Flame on!

Originally posted by Banaghran

The fourth time you run it you don't have to complete any quests. Once you've completed inferno you can jump to whatever part you want at any difficulty level. The story quests arent all the quests though. You can skip all the events and side dungeons and run straght for the endings. That's how people have manged to finish the game in a matter of hours.

You're complaining because the game has more  content? Seriously?

Would not that be the fifth time? :)

So you say that after i eventually finish inferno, i wont have to drag along any npcs, wait for their blabber to finish, skip cutscenes and so on, nice to know :)

/sarcasm off

Im not complaining there is more content (which we can argue about, since "side quests" are mostly events similar to a monster shrine or evil urn, and they kinda killed the whole "clean the whole dungeon for drops" thing with the focus on rares), im complaining the game (quests, npcs) are constantly in my face, which they werent in d2, and that made the experience more pleasant for me (especially the leveling of "alts"), contrary to your claim that "it is the same".

Flame on!

You can spacebar the NPC dialog. I still clean the whole dungeon for drops.

Even if i would take it as a valid excuse, there is some dialog which cannot be skipped, cause it has no boxes...

But yes, voice volume 0 and esc/spacebar spam is the way to go (HEAL ME!!! IM HEALED!!!! as if my eyes dont hurt enough from the all-red screen making visibility lower in a very dangerous situation...), because a "disable all lore" checkbox or teh game simply remembering what you have already heard (achievments maybe? :) ) would be OBVIOUSLY too much to ask :)

I clean the dungeons too, its a reflex, but looking at the official forums, chest and urn "nerfs", kinda makes me wonder who the fool is in here, if its not me...

In general, imo, the game wants to be a dungeon crawler, they say they wanted us to crawl, grind, whatever, and the combat is fun (outside soft-gcd and stuff like that, synchronization and mobs having all the advantages on their side), but at the same time they are poised to create the most annoying environment for dungeon crawling, i dont get it...

Flame on!

• simplyawfulsimplyawful Member Posts: 84

No, it's not just you.

The game is fundamentally mediocre. If you compare it to D2 at its release, then it's horrid.

The standards of games nowadays is ridiculously high compared to back then. If you were to release diablo 2 now as it was then, then you would find just as much hate.

To further compound the ill feelings, they designed the end-game around the RMAH and future expansions, unlike D2 that had a nice continuous leveling/loot grind.

Look at the official forums. I can't remember the last time I saw so much hate around the release of a game, from its fans nonetheless.

The dwindling xfire numbers tell tales as well. It's just a trainwreck of a game and it's very sad to see the franchise end like this.

Greed has killed one of the best RPG franchises ever.. yet again .. Square Enix/Blizzardvision/EA ... 

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I,m very disapointed by Diablo 3 right now.  Actually i'm the most disapointed by Blizzard and the way they are handling this game.   They are literally turning this into a PAY 2 WIN game.   There is NO WAY, i repeat NO WAY you gonna be able to do anything without having to spend REAL MONEY in their upcoming RMAH.   Let me explain that.

Why would a game company cares about what peoples do in their single players game ?  Why would a game company cares if you found a way to farm money or xp, it's a freaking singple player game.   Blizzard is actually nerfing every spot like that in the game.   Just go on youtube and see for yourself.   Peoples post videos of xp spot, money spot and a few days after they made the video, they find out it's been nerfed.

Why would a company do that ?   I could understand that kind of behavior in a MMO, to protect the economy,  but in a single player game ?   It's obvious, they dont want peoples to make money easily, instead they want them to BUY gold for CASH.

Originally posted by Kaynos1972

I,m very disapointed by Diablo 3 right now.  Actually i'm the most disapointed by Blizzard and the way they are handling this game.   They are literally turning this into a PAY 2 WIN game.   There is NO WAY, i repeat NO WAY you gonna be able to do anything without having to spend REAL MONEY in their upcoming RMAH.   Let me explain that.

Why would a game company cares about what peoples do in their single players game ?  Why would a game company cares if you found a way to farm money or xp, it's a freaking singple player game.   Blizzard is actually nerfing every spot like that in the game.   Just go on youtube and see for yourself.   Peoples post videos of xp spot, money spot and a few days after they made the video, they find out it's been nerfed.

Why would a company do that ?   I could understand that kind of behavior in a MMO, to protect the economy,  but in a single player game ?   It's obvious, they dont want peoples to make money easily, instead they want them to BUY gold for CASH.

Yes, that is obvious. They want profits from the RMAH! Anyhting that could potentially lead to people spending less money will get "fixed". What did you expect.. It makes no difference if some people that wants to find items and gold themselves and dont like the AH think the game is boring. Because if they quit it will not make any difference from a profit POV. They would not spend money anyway. The rest that continue playing the game will recognize that buying from the AH is the only reasonable way to get gear and improve your characters. This is the plan and business model. And is working as intended.

• caelachcaelach Member UncommonPosts: 113

I admit the game is a disappointment.

It is still a "good" game, but D2 was a "great" game.

The problem arises when devs full of themselves try to reinvent the wheel. The wheel is good.  Don't try to make it egg shaped instead of round so you can brag that you made a new thing. Make the original thing better. Keep the good, toss the bad and add some excellent new ideas to enhance.

They didn't do this. The tossed major great things about the wheel and put in lame control freak substitutions erroneously thinking they did something good. D3 Devs = FAIL.

• caelachcaelach Member UncommonPosts: 113
    This is the plan and business model. And is working as intended.

For now. Long term, they could have made a hell of a lot more money if they had made a better game.

Originally posted by caelach
    This is the plan and business model. And is working as intended.

For now. Long term, they could have made a hell of a lot more money if they had made a better game.

Imagine someone that purchased a copy of Diablo 2 and played it for 10 years. That person would cost Blizzard a lot of money. He/she would not pay anything after buying the box. But Blizzard will have to maintain servers and keep the game running for 10 years.

Someone that buys D3, plays 6-12 months and sometimes use the RMAH will give them much more profit. People that are playing long term are not profitable if they are not paying.

Of course they would prefer if people played the game long term and payed them more money every day or every week. But if making a game that really lasts with great replay value means less profit they are not interested. If they believe they can earn more money the first year with a cash grab/P2W design compared to what they could earn in 10 years with a D2 type desing they will prefer that.

Of course the companies good name and reputation are also important. But the majority of mainstream consumers will not recognize they are less inteested in making the best possible game and more focused on short term profit. Some hardcore gamers with a passion for good games will certainly recognize it. But they are a minority. And I dont think the big corporations care at all really.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

I'd be curious to know where you're seeing this overwhelming love?