Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online (Sandbox) has 48 hours left on Kickstarter

Comments

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Are you saying if i put up a kickstart page saying all the right buzz words (sandbox, community, pvp, dynamic events, player inputs) then you are going to give me your money disregarding how small the chance of the eventual project happening?

Last time I checked you do not have an award-winning, industry-leading tabletop RPG system

May be i should try that. I pledge to raise 200k to fund a pitch to get a kickstarter pitch going .. i promise when it is done, it will be the most glorious sandbox ever created for mankind with FULL matrix virtual world like features. Now start giving me money!

Goblinwork's business model and approach to tabletop RPGs proved to be a smashing success. When you have something like that on your resume, with a super-talented team behind you, THEN and only then can you go ahead with your kickstarter dreams, until then "keep hatin'"   :)

I'd be happy with just a 3d virtual table using Pathfinder Online ruleset and a full compliment of 3d models to build terrain maps, dungeons and monsters that allow me and 5-7 friends to network over the internet and play some good old RPG with one Dungeon Master.

Throw in webcam/voice chat as part of that complete package, give us a ipad iOs version as well, and thats just the cherry on top.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by dontadow
    Originally posted by maplestone

This post cannot be real...it just can't be...

He doesn't realize that they aren't actually promising a game, they are funding a pitch.  Essentially what they are promising is to create is a pencil-and-paper module with some added artwork that would then be pitched to investors (along with the list of doners as evidence of demand) to turn into an MMO.  Being able to show that you beat your goal several times over should play well in a pitch.

Personally, I feel like they are putting the cart before the horse.  If you want to actually make something new, I want to see a focus on the actual game engine - not lore, not even the graphics/physics part of it, but the core world mechanics and databases that are going to make this world different from other static world out there.  I would like to see a kickstarter project to succeed and I have a lot of respect for pathfinder as a pencil-and-paper game, but the more I examine this inkblot to understand what they actually have in mind, the more I see this particular game idea is a checklist of things I *don't* want to see in a new game: cash-shop driven buisness model, openly hostile to non-PvP players, static content.

They've already reached their goals, so this project has definitely got traction.  Perhaps they will succeed in building a better Darkfall.  But I can't say I get a warm-and-fuzzy feeling off of it.

I really want to support this project, but I just don't think it has legs.  My dad taught me an awesome lesson when i was little. You really do get what you pay for in this world.  Words like sandbox (so we don't have t o design much), middlewear (someone else's failed product) and PVP (never had a pathfinder game that focused on players attacking other players) I just think it's going to flail out.   I'd rather just buy the PDF when it comes out.    It's ambitious, and admirable, but if you don't have the money to do something you just don't do it until you do, else you come out with a halfass version of your original idea.  

How come people are so gullible? They don't even have a project. They are funding a pitch that may or may not result in ANY investment.

Most like you will get almost nothing (well, i suppose a video with some 3D char running around is sth) for your money.

There are MANY MMO projects with million dollar funidng going down the tubes because of mismanagement. There is no reason to believe this has a particularly high chance of success.

Are you saying if i put up a kickstart page saying all the right buzz words (sandbox, community, pvp, dynamic events, player inputs) then you are going to give me your money disregarding how small the chance of the eventual project happening? May be i should try that. I pledge to raise 200k to fund a pitch to get a kickstarter pitch going .. i promise when it is done, it will be the most glorious sandbox ever created for mankind with FULL matrix virtual world like features. Now start giving me money!

1) Paizo is a reputable company which is well respected by it's customers. Pretty high confidence that it's not a scam. Paizo wouldn't be associated with that. Whether it ultimately succeeds or fails, it's a legitimate attempt.

2) People are voting with thier wallets for things that they want to see happen. That's the awesome thing about Kickstarter. It gives consumers the opportunity to express thier support for things that institutional investors might otherwise consider too risky to try to fund. No one is giving anything they can't afford to give.

3) No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to give anything. If you don't want to give...don't. It's my dime, you don't get any say in what I do with it.

4) You are just scared to death that someone might create another sandbox that actual does well...and other publishers might take notice, which for some reason seems to bother you. It shouldn't. There is room in the MMO market for more then one flavor of ice cream. What skin of your nose is it that someone is actualy trying to cater to some peoples tastes that are different then your own?

EDIT

5) Kickstarter is a great way to show investors that there is a sufficient level of support/interest/fanbase to justify an investment. It's essentialy market research that pays you instead of you having to pay for. If you read the blog, thats one of the primary motivations for them doing this Kickstarter.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    @maplestone

Ryan has made it very clear that he and Goblinworks are not going after investors that just want to Maximize and gain in the shortest amount of time possible.

If you took the time to read the blogs and forum post it's very clear what Goblinworks buisness plan is.

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by Nevulus

I'd be happy with just a 3d virtual table using Pathfinder Online ruleset and a full compliment of 3d models to build terrain maps, dungeons and monsters that allow me and 5-7 friends to network over the internet and play some good old RPG with one Dungeon Master.

Throw in webcam/voice chat as part of that complete package, give us a ipad iOs version as well, and thats just the cherry on top.

You might want to check out FantasyGrounds II. It's not exactly what you are talking about.....but it is a virtual table-top that has some pretty decent features and it natively supports the Pathfinder Rulset.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I am impressed that they got Ed Greenwood making a dungeon level... :)

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Put up or shut up.

Already ahead of you.   *points to the link I provided two lines below where you stopped reading*

They are making an Eve-inspired version of their fantasy world.  Nowhere there nor in the FAQ is there any hint that player contributions to the world will go beyond building towers.

If we, as a community, are going to be doners supporting projects of interest and not simply end up suckers throwing money at hype in the wind, we have to actually be willing to actually research what it is we're throwing money at.  I'm not upset at you specifically, I'm upset at what your post represents: wild speculation and flights of imagination drowning out discussion of what the developers are actually proposing.

Now that I've given you what you asked for (to the best of my ability to prove a negative), if you (or anyone else) have evidence that *I'm* wrong, I'll gladly apologize and slink off to hide under a rock for a few days.  Otherwise, I stand by my drama.

@Nariusseldon

Backers are getting a 100 page, bonded, full color Thornkeep book with four dungeons levels created by some of the top RPG developers.

Even if the online game never comes to be its money we'll spent for the RPG community.

Whatcha got next?

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Nevulus

There are a few virtual table tops out there (obviously not 3d) but ther are some pretty neat ones that allow 3d pieces and isometric figures.  I use maptools, open source and they have a great pathfinder addon for it.  Also allows you to network over th einternet or anywhere.  (though i use it at my house with a projector.  There are also game tables with touch screens for 4k to 8k.  

Originally posted by BlackUhuru
    @Nariusseldon

Backers are getting a 100 page, bonded, full color Thornkeep book with four dungeons levels created by some of the top RPG developers.

Even if the online game never comes to be its money we'll spent for the RPG community.

Whatcha got next?

Investing is certainly not much of a loss if you play tabletop pathfinder.  The idea of an Ed Greenwood dungeon does peek my interest (my wife actually works for his sister).  And you're going to pay 15 bucks for a PDF of something anyway. I could be convinced to invest if they brought Nick LOgue out of retirement to do a level.  Ed Mona writing a dungeon sounds nice too.  I think i just talked myself into a PDF. 

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

kickstarter, what a way to scam daydreaming mmo players.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

He doesn't realize that they aren't actually promising a game, they are funding a pitch.  Essentially what they are promising is to create is a pencil-and-paper module with some added artwork that would then be pitched to investors (along with the list of doners as evidence of demand) to turn into an MMO.  Being able to show that you beat your goal several times over should play well in a pitch.

Personally, I feel like they are putting the cart before the horse.  If you want to actually make something new, I want to see a focus on the actual game engine - not lore, not even the graphics/physics part of it, but the core world mechanics and databases that are going to make this world different from other static world out there.  I would like to see a kickstarter project to succeed and I have a lot of respect for pathfinder as a pencil-and-paper game, but the more I examine this inkblot to understand what they actually have in mind, the more I see this particular game idea is a checklist of things I *don't* want to see in a new game: cash-shop driven buisness model, openly hostile to non-PvP players, static content.

They've already reached their goals, so this project has definitely got traction.  Perhaps they will succeed in building a better Darkfall.  But I can't say I get a warm-and-fuzzy feeling off of it.

I'm keen to see what the engine is like also, what middleware allows them to do and what limits it places also. I think they've got a good artist on board (check?) Wayne Renolds and looking at some samples of that work it is fine, but yes the engine/tech is really crucial.

That said, if you read the blogs the design to manage the game and number of persistent players seems like it could work eg the hex system. Also I disagree with the label of non-pvp players getting "shafted". It's bad implementation of other pvp systems in other mmorpgs that ruins those. GW are well aware of that problem. IN FACT,imo the opposite holds, and "other players as content" is the way to go, if it can be implemented successfully (half the battle will be player selection possibly I'm wondering?)

And pvp in principle should be the bigger, related brother to pve imo. :) What's the difference between a mob or a player fighting you, unless the player is a griefer? The potential goes both ways more positive or more negative. Let's hope the positive direction works out for this one.

Mobs make sense, other players attacking you for no reason is just chaos.  Open warefare isn't even so chaotic.  

This, as far as i'm concerned, is worth than elder scroll, as DND has little  pvp and sandbox elements and yet here we are making a pvp sandbox games of DND .  

In DND you get quests, you go on adventures with your buddies, you kill mobs you get loot you save some princes or kingdoms.  Myteries unfold, the larger plot comes to fruition.  

From the sound of it, the initial plan was to do this, but when that was nixed they decided to create a low budget somethiing or another.  

Mobs vary in difficult, have additional abilities and tactics and presented with an AI to achieve a speicfic goal, whether its gaurding something or attacking or protecting an area.  Advanced IEs in real MMOs have sophisticated tactics that can be challenging. 

Ultimately PvE content is more static than other players and other players more dynamic content than PvE mobs. So in PnP the GM generates the dynamic content, but in MMO that is translated into a world that is complex interaction of many players. The tricky part is for all those players to play their parts according to the game eg you would not like it if the GM suddenly says, "10 dragons suddenly come around the corner of the tavern and fireball (rolls 50 dice) - you die instantly!"

I'm keen to see what the engine is like also, what middleware allows them to do and what limits it places also. I think they've got a good artist on board (check?) Wayne Renolds and looking at some samples of that work it is fine, but yes the engine/tech is really crucial.

That said, if you read the blogs the design to manage the game and number of persistent players seems like it could work eg the hex system. Also I disagree with the label of non-pvp players getting "shafted". It's bad implementation of other pvp systems in other mmorpgs that ruins those. GW are well aware of that problem. IN FACT,imo the opposite holds, and "other players as content" is the way to go, if it can be implemented successfully (half the battle will be player selection possibly I'm wondering?)

And pvp in principle should be the bigger, related brother to pve imo. :) What's the difference between a mob or a player fighting you, unless the player is a griefer? The potential goes both ways more positive or more negative. Let's hope the positive direction works out for this one.

Mobs make sense, other players attacking you for no reason is just chaos.  Open warefare isn't even so chaotic.  

This, as far as i'm concerned, is worth than elder scroll, as DND has little  pvp and sandbox elements and yet here we are making a pvp sandbox games of DND .  

In DND you get quests, you go on adventures with your buddies, you kill mobs you get loot you save some princes or kingdoms.  Myteries unfold, the larger plot comes to fruition.  

From the sound of it, the initial plan was to do this, but when that was nixed they decided to create a low budget somethiing or another.  

Mobs vary in difficult, have additional abilities and tactics and presented with an AI to achieve a speicfic goal, whether its gaurding something or attacking or protecting an area.  Advanced IEs in real MMOs have sophisticated tactics that can be challenging. 

Ultimately PvE content is more static than other players and other players more dynamic content than PvE mobs. So in PnP the GM generates the dynamic content, but in MMO that is translated into a world that is complex interaction of many players. The tricky part is for all those players to play their parts according to the game eg you would not like it if the GM suddenly says, "10 dragons suddenly come around the corner of the tavern and fireball (rolls 50 dice) - you die instantly!"

But that's exactly what PVP content is.  It turns into people attempting to gank one another. It's built around people having an advantage over you.  PVE content is built to be balanced with you.  YOu know you are getting a proper challenge, sometihng constructed for your level.  PVE content is static, in that its there, its balanced its ready. But hwen you finish, you move on to hte next adveanture, like dnd.  Character's don't change once you hit a certain level, and thus you're building bigger gangs or relying on armor based gameplay to provide the challenge.  

I'd love to see a never winters night game, but there's a reason that game did well in 2002 and neverwinters night 2 did not. It was too complicated. The genre of game making had gotten complicated, more so than laying down tiles. Now there are 3d effects and a level of quality you expect from your games.  The building blocks for nwn2 was so complicated that only a few would attempt to build things in them.  That was 6 years ago.   The answer would be to make agame as simple as nwn2 and just bite the graphics to make building things easy or release a creation set that's complex that only a few people would ever take part in.

@ dontadow: Agree, with the NWN idea, some games these days are too over-produced (even the xcom firaxis one looks ott in some respects imo) in graphics for aesthetics when these actually detract from the game design/information required by the player to play the game. Even some iOS games fall into this problem esp. crazy given how small the screens are.

As for the pve vs pvp clash, strong implementation of pvp not weak implementation in open world sandbox is the answer. Eg save up a stash of cash for repeat bounties on any criminals. Content for other players already.

@ dontadow: Agree, with the NWN idea, some games these days are too over-produced (even the xcom firaxis one looks ott in some respects imo) in graphics for aesthetics when these actually detract from the game design/information required by the player to play the game. Even some iOS games fall into this problem esp. crazy given how small the screens are.

As for the pve vs pvp clash, strong implementation of pvp not weak implementation in open world sandbox is the answer. Eg save up a stash of cash for repeat bounties on any criminals. Content for other players already.

But then you've changed the nature of the game. The game revolves around hunting down fugitives and avoiding being hunting, it doesn't detour ganking, only makes a mini game to fight find them.  The bounty system has not worked ina  single game to wipe out ganking.  

Why have PVP at all in the open world. As I"ve said before it makes no sense from an immersion factor and the reasons, the good ones, most people give often can be handled in other ways. 

Q. you want the thrill of danger 

A. go to higher level zones and do quests 

Q. you want to test your character against think players

A. Battlegrounds and areas designed to enhance PVP and create balaned play fields are created.  

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Put up or shut up.

If we, as a community, are going to be doners supporting projects of interest and not simply end up suckers throwing money at hype in the wind, we have to actually be willing to actually research what it is we're throwing money at.  I'm not upset at you specifically, I'm upset at...

Look, the simple fact is that I was responding to how you chose to engage to me.. with caps and drama posting I mean.

My point was that with a proper link and calm point made in a decent manner from the start your message would be clearer and worth responding to in a constructive way.

I actually didn't argue against your point, if you go back and look. Know why that is? Because with conversation I am willing to admit someone else has a clearer idea of things then I do, when they do, and acknowledge and take on board what they are saying. I don't see every thread as a mini war.

It was how you chose to come at me that was the problem, not your actual information. I get what you're saying.

I hope you understand where I am coming from a bit clearer now.

But then you've changed the nature of the game. The game revolves around hunting down fugitives and avoiding being hunting, it doesn't detour ganking, only makes a mini game to fight find them.  The bounty system has not worked ina  single game to wipe out ganking.  

Why have PVP at all in the open world. As I"ve said before it makes no sense from an immersion factor and the reasons, the good ones, most people give often can be handled in other ways. 

Q. you want the thrill of danger 

A. go to higher level zones and do quests 

Q. you want to test your character against think players

A. Battlegrounds and areas designed to enhance PVP and create balaned play fields are created.  

That's one part of it. They've mentioned militia NPC guards and distance from safe areas proportional response/spawn time to an attack is in seconds in those areas. So that's another side. Also travelling in a party and being federated will increase safety as well as distance/support. The players that gank a lot they've said they will look to ban. And there's all the rest of the consideration of aiming for players who want to play the game and not sabotage it and how to make that work. I think the anonymity is one area that mmorpgs will need to look at in terms of what players can do on early accounts and how they build alignment and reputation in game? Again another angle.

The pvp side to it, is the holistic aspect ideally I think: Players trading, politics, adventuring, crafting, building settlements and war. All need to be integrated to simulate a world. Conflict is one side to cooperation. Conflict could be negotiated peacefully or with arms. This ideally simulates a background story to those who just want to adventure and explore. That is where the unnecessary ganking does not fit into things and needs limiting. But even GW2's dynamic events cannot chain events as complex as what players might come up with. PvP even just the threat of it changes the conditions and atmosphere. Eg peace and war conditions.

@dontadow

I understand you like theme park mmo's and that's fine, I have played just about all of them for a couple of months each. I have also played UO for 14 years.

I prefer not having quests to level, I prefer not having level zones, I prefer not having instances, I prefer non instanced PvP.

I prefer sandbox!

I prefer sanbox games because of the freedom to use my imagination, I like to be the DM of my own adventures, I like to be the DM for others adventure.

Looks like a new stretch goal has been added since we crushed all the others.

If we get to 225k the legendary Ed Greenwood will sign everyone's Thornkeep Book!!

And it looks like we will most likely make that goal as well!

Looks like a new stretch goal has been added since we crushed all the others.

If we get to 225k the legendary Ed Greenwood will sign everyone's Thornkeep Book!!

And it looks like we will most likely make that goal as well!

The inner geek in me wants that damn Ed Greenwood signature more than ANYTHING ELSE!

It's just really cool to see such creative people such as Ed Greenwood backing this project.

It's the creative devs and designers that make great games, not the AAA suits!

Well looks like another stretch goal has been added lol, after we crush 225k if we get to 250k Paizo will create 2 flip mats with 4 dungeons on them.

Quarter of a million in one month for a tech demo wow, talk about a community backing their games!!!

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

It's pretty cool i wonder what all these execs,who never sanctioned or gave funding for these games feels like with all the backing and publicity from the public for basically bringing old school gameing back,just hope people back the The Repopulation now.

p>
    @dontadow

I understand you like theme park mmo's and that's fine, I have played just about all of them for a couple of months each. I have also played UO for 14 years.

I prefer not having quests to level, I prefer not having level zones, I prefer not having instances, I prefer non instanced PvP.

I prefer sandbox!

I prefer sanbox games because of the freedom to use my imagination, I like to be the DM of my own adventures, I like to be the DM for others adventure.

And i get it, you like strategy games and not RPGs.  Yet, this website is called mMORPG.  Thus when peopel decry (more pvp) i ask why are they bringing this up on an rpg website or about something that is tradionally an RPG game. IN RPGs strategy elements are not "th game" they are usually side notes.  I can't imagine playing a game and hjaving to use my own imagiantion to tell the story.  I can do that without playing the game.  

@Mumbo

Paizo, as much asi love them is shooting themselves in the foot by toting pvp.  The majority of tabletop gamers won't associat e this with their traditonal dnd game. And whereas i like the idea of politics, I"d rather they, like real societies, have a legimtmate way to do things like declare war or politics.  if you're going to add civlization like elements, copy from the best.  Wars coudl easily be segmented on a seperate battlefield with systems that effect cities economy and such. 

I"m not saying i don't like the idea of sandbox elements in an rpg. Dark cloud is and will forever be my favorite adventure/rpg game of all time.  But it did it right. THere was a whole intelligent subsystem game to building yhour city that directly was related to your aventuring and questing.  It was original and fun.  

@dontadow

I get it now! You just don't like PvP and that's ok.

We aren't asking for "more PvP" we are asking for RP back into are MMO's.

Bioware is RP'ing for you, your not actually RP'ing yourself.

We are obviously from two different generations, and two completely different communities of gamers.

I just hope some day we will all have a game to play that we like!!!