Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online (Sandbox) has 48 hours left on Kickstarter

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo

If you haven't yet checked out this ambitious project where a team of MMO and tabletop vets are working to produce a sandbox MMORPG experience based on the pathfinder D&D ruleset where the players get to forge their world and really take control - both in game and out of game given how much they're focusing on player feedback.

If you've ever wished an MMO company would listen to your ideas and you're sick of the themepark experience, it might be worth a look :)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I dont understand how the site works. care to explain whats going on?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    Fight the good fight! Support innovation and change, become a Goblin Squad member and back this project!

Out with the AAA theme park trash and in with the innovative sandbox!

Fight for something or fall for nothing!

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Are you asking how kickstarter works?

Clicky: http://www.kickstarter.com/start?ref=home_start

There's even a video for anyone who doesn't like reading

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

Originally posted by DeaconX

well you do say it has 2 days left. Does that mean it shuts down or something?

Yes - after about 46 hours now, you will no longer be able to support the project through Kickstarter.  They've already met their original goal and now they're hoping to reach 200K which is a decent sum to help them develop the technology required and possibly win over some big time investors - also, depending on how much you donate to the project, you recieve various levels of rewards which can also be seen on the site linked above.

But basically, it's a great opportunity for anyone who believes in what they're doing and wants to help make it happen.

In this case, they're trying to build the type of MMORPG that large came companies won't go near because historically, sandboxes have not been safe bets (though they also haven't been well built for the most part).

With the technology available today, I personally feel that incredible sandbox experiences CAN be built and that there's a large enough demand for it -- but so long as cookie cutter mmo's make bucks, that's what big studios will focus on.

Yes - after about 46 hours now, you will no longer be able to support the project through Kickstarter.  They've already met their original goal and now they're hoping to reach 200K which is a decent sum to help them develop the technology required and possibly win over some big time investors - also, depending on how much you donate to the project, you recieve various levels of rewards which can also be seen on the site linked above.

But basically, it's a great opportunity for anyone who believes in what they're doing and wants to help make it happen.

In this case, they're trying to build the type of MMORPG that large came companies won't go near because historically, sandboxes have not been safe bets (though they also haven't been well built for the most part).

With the technology available today, I personally feel that incredible sandbox experiences CAN be built and that there's a large enough demand for it -- but so long as cookie cutter mmo's make bucks, that's what big studios will focus on.

are they using a inhouse engine, or non exclusive/ licensed Engine here?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

200k for a chance to sell to investors?

I wouldn't throw money at a pipe dream. If they can make a MMO, make one and i will see if it is fun. I don't believe in people who have no solid financial backings to go into projects that needs millions.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

"Of course, those who simply wish to avoid any PvP at all will choose to remain within the very high security zones close to NPC settlements where PvP is effectively impossible. Such players will have fewer opportunities to find adventure or to earn treasure than their braver and less risk-averse peers, but they'll be safe from griefers."

When the developers are pre-griefing you, it hardly feels safe.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I wouldn't throw money at a pipe dream. If they can make a MMO, make one and i will see if it is fun. I don't believe in people who have no solid financial backings to go into projects that needs millions.

Down to the gun to raise 200k for a MMO sandbox, and yet we are to think those style of games are popular? Yeah OK.

I wish them the best reaching their goal, as it is good for folks to have whatever type game they want to play.  That said, the stories of MMO sandbox being wanted by many were a bit premature methinks.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Originally posted by Moaky07

Down to the gun to raise 200k for a MMO sandbox, and yet we are to think those style of games are popular? Yeah OK.

$180,351

pledged of $50,000 goal

20k away from an additional dungeon made by non other then the Forgotten Realms creator Ed Greenwood!!!!

Go go go go!!!

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

The $30 I put towards helping them was next to nothing for me but I'm glad fans showed support:

• 361%/100% funded
    • $180,636 pledged
    • 44 hours to go

Backers

$192,278

pledged of $50,000 goal

hours to go

Looks like they're gonna make the 200K :)

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by BlackUhuru
    Fight the good fight! Support innovation and change, become a Goblin Squad member and back this project!

Yawn.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by BlackUhuru

Yawn.

Cheers!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Pledge levels appear to be about 50-50 - rewards + funding. The rewards themselves are not a bad value either. Eg at the $15 level you will get about 100 pages pdf consisting of x4 Thornkeep dungeons + design notes on Pathfinder Online. That's reasonable deal and support the funding. Higher levels are more for either: Very vested interest in seeing PfO game (reg. dev updates) OR using materials/book in PF campaigns.

$15 level is very value. albeit it's $5 over my "Rule of max. $10 upfront funding". ;)

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

HAHAHAHA i love how they insult all those themeparks, but everything they describe about their games is the same.

"A fantasy sandbox with generic fantasy races and creatures based on older tabletop games where player actions impact the world and we tell the stories of the world". So, every single fantasy sandbox mmo there is. Extremely original.

EDIT: I love sandboxes, with politics, crafting, exploring, skill based, etc, etc, but this isn't what i call a unique sandbox.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

HAHAHAHA i love how they insult all those themeparks, but everything they describe about their games is the same. -snip-

Here's the KS description summary:

Pathfinder Online is a hybrid sandbox/theme park-style MMO where characters explore, develop, find adventure and dominate a wilderness frontier in a land of sword and sorcery. The Pathfinder world is high fantasy in the tradition of epics like The Lord of the Rings, Conan, The Wheel of Time and Game of Thrones.

The Pathfinder setting includes many different classic and modern fantasy elements, from lost cities shrouded in misty jungles to decaying pyramids amidst deserts of burning sands to a fantastic island metropolis where folk from across the world live side by side with all manner of fantastic creatures. The Pathfinder world has a place for any story a player wants to tell. (For more information on the world of Pathfinder and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, please visit http://paizo.com/pathfinder.)

Pathfinder Online’s robust trading system puts players in control of the world’s economy with player-created items, consumables, fortifications, and settlements. Character-controlled settlements can grow into full-fledged kingdoms that compete for resources as they seek to become the dominant force in the land, raising vast armies to hold their territory against the depredations of monstrous creatures, NPC factions, and other player characters.

Social organizations scale from small parties of a few adventurers to player nations inhabited by thousands. As settlements develop, the surrounding wilderness develops more complex and challenging features, including randomly generated encounters and resources as well as exciting scripted adventures.

We have heard it all before, many times true. image But some good reading at the blogs for the intention of the game worth a look also: https://goblinworks.com/blog/

Blogs:
    • A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step
    • Introducing the Crusader Road
    • Your Pathfinder Online Character
    • To Live and Die in the River Kingdoms
    • Adventure in the River Kingdoms
    • LFG (Looking for Group)!
    • Player Created Buildings and Structures
    • Time is the Fire In Which We Burn
    • Money Changes Everything
    • Butchers, Bakers and Candlestick Makers
    • Where The Wild Things Are
    • The Blog About Kickstarter
    • Signed...In Blood
    • Designing Thornkeep
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Pathfinder Online is a hybrid sandbox/theme park-style MMO where characters explore, develop, find adventure and dominate a wilderness frontier in a land of sword and sorcery. The Pathfinder world is high fantasy in the tradition of epics like The Lord of the Rings, Conan, The Wheel of Time and Game of Thrones.

The Pathfinder setting includes many different classic and modern fantasy elements, from lost cities shrouded in misty jungles to decaying pyramids amidst deserts of burning sands to a fantastic island metropolis where folk from across the world live side by side with all manner of fantastic creatures. The Pathfinder world has a place for any story a player wants to tell. (For more information on the world of Pathfinder and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, please visit http://paizo.com/pathfinder.)

Pathfinder Online’s robust trading system puts players in control of the world’s economy with player-created items, consumables, fortifications, and settlements. Character-controlled settlements can grow into full-fledged kingdoms that compete for resources as they seek to become the dominant force in the land, raising vast armies to hold their territory against the depredations of monstrous creatures, NPC factions, and other player characters.

Social organizations scale from small parties of a few adventurers to player nations inhabited by thousands. As settlements develop, the surrounding wilderness develops more complex and challenging features, including randomly generated encounters and resources as well as exciting scripted adventures.

This is EXACTLY the reason I decided to fund.  I've always believed the hybrid sandbox/themepark is the future of great MMORPGs.

$180,351

pledged of $50,000 goal

The 50k number shows that either a) the devs have no clue how much a MMO costs, or b) (more likely), they are trying to do a quick money grab from gullible people on the internet.

$200k? Give me a break. That is like ~2 man years of good programming .. may be 4 man-years if you really stretch it ... not even enough to build an alpha. Heck, good SINGLE PLAYER games cost a lot more than that.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

$180,351

pledged of $50,000 goal

The 50k number shows that either a) the devs have no clue how much a MMO costs, or b) (more likely), they are trying to do a quick money grab from gullible people on the internet.

$200k? Give me a break. That is like ~2 man years of good programming .. may be 4 man-years if you really stretch it ... not even enough to build an alpha. Heck, good SINGLE PLAYER games cost a lot more than that.

This post cannot be real...it just can't be...

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

$180,351

pledged of $50,000 goal

Did you not watch the video.? and if so did you not understand what was going on .?

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

HAHAHAHA i love how they insult all those themeparks, but everything they describe about their games is the same.

"A fantasy sandbox with generic fantasy races and creatures based on older tabletop games where player actions impact the world and we tell the stories of the world". So, every single fantasy sandbox mmo there is. Extremely original.

EDIT: I love sandboxes, with politics, crafting, exploring, skill based, etc, etc, but this isn't what i call a unique sandbox.

I would assume you don't anything about Pathfinder or the World Pathfinder PnP is based off of. I myself GM Pathfinder twice a month. It is based off a PnP tabetop game that is what MMOs should be based off of with deep world immersion.

Originally posted by Dranny

$180,351

pledged of $50,000 goal

Did you not watch the video.? and if so did you not understand what was going on .?

Sure .. and i read this "This Kickstarter will fund the Technology Demo of the Pathfinder Online Massively Multiplayer Online RPG.  The Technology Demo will be fully playable, integrating account management, character creation, a virtual world server, multiple simultaneously connected clients, middleware used for rendering landscapes and characters, basic game mechanics, and player communications. "

So they want to do all that .. practically an alpha with limited content (like one zone) with 50k? And the whole point is to sell to investors.

So .. 1) there is no game .. 200k get you a video .. well i am not going put money down on a video. And even a tech demo is suspicious given they promise a functional system with char creation, VW server and stuff.

and more importantly .. they need investors. I doubt they are going to build the game they promise if the investors want otherwise. You guys are chipping in peanuts. Investors are going to spend millions. Who are they going to listen to? NOTHING said on their page about the game is legally binding.

@Nariusseldon

Your clueless as to what this is for, before making comments on something you might want to look it to what it is your commenting about.

5k away from a 4th dungeon created by Ed Greenwood!

Go go go go !