Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online: Kickstarter Campaign Started

2»

Comments

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    Fantastic concept and amazing setting! If your a fan of Pathfinder RPGS you should back this project, if your a fan of mmo's you should back this.

Back the indie devs not the corporate cash cows!!!!

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

Come on people 8 more days to be a backer!!!

Help back the little guys!!

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by BlackUhuru
    Fantastic concept and amazing setting! If your a fan of Pathfinder RPGS you should back this project, if your a fan of mmo's you should back this.

I dunno, Pathfinder is larger than D&D today and it is one of the few games that actually should have levels (20 though, not 80 or whatever).

I am a Pathfinder fan but I am not really sure if I should back this one up... Goblinworks probably should have made a somewhat smaller game like R.I.F.T.S, Shadowrun (yeah, I know that there is a browsergame in the making) or ARS Magica which would have benefitted more from sandbox thinking.

Then again, if the game will be good I will surely play it and eat my words...

@Loke

The River Kingdoms is the perfect setting for a next gen sandbox!

We as mmo gamers need a change and even if PFO never pans out at least we are fighting for something!

The MMO community deserves their freedom back!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Update #10: The Final Countdown—New Stretch Goals!

The first new stretch goal is $125,000.  WHEN we reach that goal, we've got a special reward lined up.  James Jacobs, Creative Director of Paizo Publishing and author of "Burnt Offerings" (the very first Pathfinder Adventure Path adventure) will create a new dungeon level that will be added to the PDF of Thornkeep.  Everyone who's going to receive the PDF of Thornkeep—that's everybody who has pledged at least $15—will automatically get this upgrade!

But wait!  There's more!

IF the community overwhelms the project with pledges and we reach $150,000, ERIK MONA will write a new level for the Thornkeep PDF too!  Erik is the Publisher at Paizo, and the author of “The Whispering Cairn,” one of the most beloved Dungeon magazine adventures of all time.  It has been almost impossible to get Erik to design adventures lately because of how busy his job is, so this is a treat worth getting the word out for!

And just as with the previously announced Jason Bulmahn stretch goal, you Kickstarters will get to determine the themes for the dungeons they write—polls will open at the end of the Kickstarter campaign!

AND ONE MORE THING!

If the project reaches $175,000 before the Kickstarter closes, we'll add all the additional dungeon levels—the Bulmahn level from the first stretch goal, plus the Jacobs and Mona levels from today's goals, to the printed edition of Thornkeep, substantially increasing the size of the book!  Anybody who slated to get the printed Thornkeep book—that's pledges of $50 or more—will get the larger book at no additional cost!
    Support the Indie Dev teams and show the investors we want change!

Fight for something or fall for nothing!

Wow 500 more backers in two days!

Fight the good fight...

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    @Loke

The River Kingdoms is the perfect setting for a next gen sandbox!

We as mmo gamers need a change and even if PFO never pans out at least we are fighting for something!

I actually agree with you, and am enjoying your enthusiasm :)

It's all too easy to be cynical, doubt, and throw up barriers to NOT be a part of the change so many say they want.

Good to see they have smashed their goal with 6 days to go. Hopefully this will let GW build a great demo and presentation to take the game to the investors for the real cash.

Eric Mona! Thornkeep!

Just a few days left to show support!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Loke666

I dunno, Pathfinder is larger than D&D today and it is one of the few games that actually should have levels (20 though, not 80 or whatever).

I am a Pathfinder fan but I am not really sure if I should back this one up... Goblinworks probably should have made a somewhat smaller game like R.I.F.T.S, Shadowrun (yeah, I know that there is a browsergame in the making) or ARS Magica which would have benefitted more from sandbox thinking.

Then again, if the game will be good I will surely play it and eat my words...

If you chip in just at $15 level you get the Thornkeep pdf (+ GW PfO Design notes) (+ x3 extra dungeon designs) eg Stretch goals at >150k. And finally your support for the project (intangible).

Is that a poser? image

• BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166

Another dungeon by Ed Greenwood in both the pdf / print book if they reach $200k.

Not sure there's enough time to make it though.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

A lot of posters are missing the most important part that sets this apart from the other companies, THIS IS PATHFINDER ONLINE.

They have a game system that WORKS! The mechanics of the game itself are working, and their RPG campaigns ARE proof of concept. This is not a group of guys that came together last Friday and said "Hey let's make a game!", this is a company that already has an industry-leading product. So many people overlook one of the most important aspects of the game, the RULESET.

Now the question remains how well will they translate that to our home computers. I would have preferred a triple AAA Virtual Table supporting the already existing Pathfinder Online ruleset and allowing the players to create their own campaigns with their own friends and somehow network it to a persistent world. But they have higher aspirations, only time will tell.

Until then I am an avid D&D fan, but even I must admit Pathfinder Online is a superior ruleset, and playing it online with my friends is a blast.

• JohansonJohanson Member UncommonPosts: 52

If you read goblinworks blog, you'll notice that they will change alot of gamemechanics. For example, they will have EVE-like leveling.

And I think it's right change. They would have hard time making 3.5 rules work for sanbox mmo, while on the other hand EVE has really good leveling system. I also hope thay change casting style, since I hate vencian casting.

2 days left to be a backer! And 25k away from getting a dungeon created by Ed Greenwood the creater of D&D's Forgotten Realms!!!!

Fight for your freedom, fight for innovation! Be a Goblin Squad member and back this project!

• burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

I just pledged my $50 (I want my printed copy of Thornkeep) , and look, if someone like EA can pick up FUNCOM for The Secret World  (who, at one point, before Anarchy Online, would have been considered änd Indie dev) then there is hope! All we need is a Publisher to make the ttitle AAA but keep the creative reigns firmly in Goblinworks hands (EA may not be the best choice then)

Not long to go - if Ed Greenwood is backing this game, then SO AM I! Heres hoping!

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by burdock2

if Ed Greenwood is backing this game, then SO AM I! Heres hoping!

cosign!

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Johanson

If you read goblinworks blog, you'll notice that they will change alot of gamemechanics. For example, they will have EVE-like leveling.

And I think it's right change. They would have hard time making 3.5 rules work for sanbox mmo, while on the other hand EVE has really good leveling system. I also hope thay change casting style, since I hate vencian casting.

so in other words is not really pathfinder.  

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Originally posted by dontadow

so in other words is not really pathfinder.  

Based on Pathfinder material, not in actual game mechanics, atleast not strictly. Let's see how it goes. I personally dislike EVE's skill-training system.