Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting to get pissed off about these damn ads

NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I've been coming to this site off and on for seven years but this shit is really making me question if I'll keep coming back.

I'm talking about those Goddamn ads plastered right on the 1st post of forum threads.  And now you can't even scroll past it, the damn thing stays there taking up a huge chunk of my screen.  Now I can't even browse the forums without having a fucking ad taking up two thirds of my screen.  The ONLY reason I come to this site is for the forums.  You guys make that unbearable for me and I will no longer have any reason to come here.

I know you want me to log in but I don't always want to log in.  I like to browse the forums and if I read something I want to respond to---THEN I'll log in.  This cute little trick where you try to force me to log in otherwise my screen will be so cluttered up I can't stand to browse the forums is bullshit.

You may have noticed I'm cussing a lot in this post.  Yeah....that's because right now I'm kind of hoping I'll be banned.  It'll give me an excuse to stop coming here.

Look, it's pretty simple really.  If you people who run this site make browsing the forums such an unpleasant experience that I won't want to do it....well, then I won't do it.  And since the forums are the only reason I come here I guess that'll be so-long mmorpg.com.

Comments

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Sadly this site is a business it has to make money and it makes money by posting ads.

As annoying and against mmorpg's own posted policies, the fact is, they are not going to stop.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Says right on it to log in or register not to see it. So....................

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

1. Disable images if it bugs you that much.

2. Grow a pair and delete your own account. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

But you can't even see them if you're logged in ..... It takes you like what, 5 seconds to log in? That 5 second inconvenience makes them the money to stay in business. That hardly seems like something worth complaining about. I know some people find it downright offensive that others would dare make money at the expense of their utmost convenience, but get over it.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

open console (ctrl+shift+i)

document.getElementById('notuserforumblocktd').style.display = 'none'

or install tampermonkey chrome extension

create a new script

**************UPDATE*************

// ==UserScript==
    // @name       My Fancy New Userscript
    // @version    0.1
    // @description  enter something useful
    // @copyright  2012+, You
    // ==/UserScript==

var head = document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0],
    style = document.createElement('style'),
    rules = document.createTextNode('#notuserforumblocktd { display:none !important; }');

style.type = 'text/css';
    if(style.styleSheet)
        style.styleSheet.cssText = rules.nodeValue;
    else style.appendChild(rules);
    head.appendChild(style);

ctrl+s to save

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by dronfwar

open console (ctrl+shift+i)

document.getElementById('notuserforumblocktd').style.display = 'none'

or install tampermonkey chrome extension

create a new script

// ==UserScript==
    // @name       My Fancy New Userscript
    // @version    0.1
    // @description  enter something useful
    // @match      http://*/*
    // @copyright  2012+, You
    // @include     *
    // ==/UserScript==

window.onload = function(e){document.getElementById('notuserforumblocktd').style.display = 'none';}

ctrl+s to save

After watching your sig for around 5 minutes, I've decided it scares the crap out of me. :S

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Moving this over to Site Suggestions since it's a bit of a feedback thread. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Why are you so against logging in to browse the forums?  You obviously don't mind logging in to comment on something, why not just log in automatically when you come to the site?  It's not like there's anything on the site you need to be anonymous to look at....:p

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

If you log in big brother can track you!!

• aries623aries623 Member Posts: 28

I fully agree with poster. Ive been coming to this site for over 8 years with out an account, why force me now. I don't have to see why I have to log in to read forums, especially while I am at work or on another computer that I dont want to log in with.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

I've been coming to this site off and on for seven years but this shit is really making me question if I'll keep coming back.

I'm talking about those Goddamn ads plastered right on the 1st post of forum threads.  And now you can't even scroll past it, the damn thing stays there taking up a huge chunk of my screen.  Now I can't even browse the forums without having a fucking ad taking up two thirds of my screen.  The ONLY reason I come to this site is for the forums.  You guys make that unbearable for me and I will no longer have any reason to come here.

I know you want me to log in but I don't always want to log in.  I like to browse the forums and if I read something I want to respond to---THEN I'll log in.  This cute little trick where you try to force me to log in otherwise my screen will be so cluttered up I can't stand to browse the forums is bullshit.

You may have noticed I'm cussing a lot in this post.  Yeah....that's because right now I'm kind of hoping I'll be banned.  It'll give me an excuse to stop coming here.

Look, it's pretty simple really.  If you people who run this site make browsing the forums such an unpleasant experience that I won't want to do it....well, then I won't do it.  And since the forums are the only reason I come here I guess that'll be so-long mmorpg.com.

Or, you could use adblocker plus, or really any other popup ad blocker, like everyone else and not deal with the ads.

But I'm sure I'm deeply touched by your pressing problems.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

if there wasn't any adds there wouldnt be any site, shut up and deal with it

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by aries623

I fully agree with poster. Ive been coming to this site for over 8 years with out an account, why force me now. I don't have to see why I have to log in to read forums, especially while I am at work or on another computer that I dont want to log in with.

How do you think this site is funded?

Originally posted by Uronksur

Originally posted by aries623

How do you think this site is funded?

They make money from advertisers., thus the ads. But for that relationship to work you have to click on the link, which you don't have to be logged into for. Most people that visit are looking for games to play or info on games. The site has links and advertisements on every page. If I see something that looks interesting I click on the link and someone makes money. All the site is doing is pushing people away from it. I assure you MMORPG will have less visitors because of having adds block a key feature of the site.
  • CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49

Upgrade from IE to Firefox or Chrome and install Ad Block.  It removes all the inset ads from this site (except the background images in the header) and eliminates the 15 sec ads at the beginning of YouTubes.

I do agree, however, the scrolling ad is annoying as hell on a mobile (which I dont normally log in from).

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

Both firefox and chrome have addons that allow you to autohide content from websites. I have a rule where the parent of any block with the letters EA makes the block disappear. Saves a lot of shit post reading.

Also, if you think you are not being tracked because you aren't logged in, you're either trolling or a complete idiot. The only people for whom this sucks is those who use public computers.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

Originally posted by Carnafex

Upgrade from IE to Firefox or Chrome and install Ad Block.  It removes all the inset ads from this site (except the background images in the header) and eliminates the 15 sec ads at the beginning of YouTubes.

I do agree, however, the scrolling ad is annoying as hell on a mobile (which I dont normally log in from).

Yeah thats the only ad the original poster was complaining about, the others are fine. Just means I have to log in at work.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Sadly the more we try to evade the advertisments the more companies try to push them on us.

My wife and I were not very impressed with a cable channel the other day displaying their network ads so far in the middle of the screen it was blocking a large part of the sub-titles meant to help us understand what the character was saying.

Adblocker, NoScript, are my internet friends. I understand that the site has to make money but like the OP stated in not such a pleasant way, if the experience of coming here to participate in conversation or to use the service becomes too annoying, sooner or later I will just stop visiting.

I have not reached that level here as yet, but the efforts have been noted. My computer at work does not have any ad blocking features and protests at the amount of stuff trying to get my attention. Frequent browser restarts are required while I am there.