Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Rocket", developer of DayZ mod, told to stop ALL work on Arma3!!!

FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Bohemia Interactive Studios, the company that developed Arma, Arma2, and developing Arma3 told "Rocket" to stop ALL the work he's doing on Arma3 in order to form his own standalone dedicated team in order to work entirely on DayZ :3!

Additionally, DayZ mod already works VERY well on Arma3 on their internal build. Rocket will also be developing a "standalone" complete conversion game of Arma3 for DayZ. This means that after Arma3 releases we can look forward to a standalone product released with the Arma3 engine for DayZ that is similar to the new invasion 1944 conversion they recently released of Arma2 for $30 on steam.

So Rocket has garnered enough attention, and made Bohemia Interactive enough money, to justify giving him his own team to work on DayZ as a standalone zombie survival sim for Arma3 :D! Additionally, due to the portability of the mod, his team can first develope everything on the Arma2 engine for us to test and THEN port it over to Arma3 for his standalone release of the Arma3 version product. 

-Squee- cannot wait :3!

Also, don't miss out of the fact that Rocket just had some awesome T-Shirts made :D! I really need to find out how to get one O__O!

SourceSauce

Cheers :3

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

That actually a good idea on the developer's part.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I'm glad to hear this, is Arma3 a big upgrade from 2?

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Very good news.  Looking forward to hearing more.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ResiakrawResiakraw Member Posts: 73

Good to hear. Its an awesome mod, and Rocket deserves the recognition theyre giving him for it. Always good to see guys like him who actually do great stuff to improve games getting a win instead of just the asshats who arent capable of doing anything but cloning WoW.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

From the videos I've seen Arma3 looks incredible, a zombie survival game based on their architecture will be excellent.

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Seeing how much money DayZ has pulled in for Bohemia, I can understand why. I've put more hours into DayZ than I have in most other games over the past few months and I can say I'm really excited to see where this goes. 

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Awesome!

Dayz is a very awesome project, im glad they are devoting their resourses to it :)

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Near photorealism graphics that can run on a decent PC at 30 or more FPS while seeing for MILES off in the distance. 

Underwater gameplay such as scubadiving, wetsuits, equipment change (ie: your clothes) made as an actual function of the game now. Stealth gameplay increased such as realistic sound recognition by AI, etc. 

Sea vehicles expanded upon, etc.

Tons of new animations, equipment, vehicles.

New physics engine developed specifically for Arma3 allowing for ACTUAL collisions to be physically rendered. You know all those cargo containers in Arma2, and how they're essentially uninteractable objects for vehicles? Not anymore in Arma 3 :)!

Not to mention interactable cockpits/dashboards etc for vehicles (supposedly on or after launch).

Just overall a massive upgrade from Arma2. Supposedly "polish" and "bugfixing" are their highest priorities for Arma3.

Arma 3 - survey the hills

~~~Enjoy

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

It would be awesome if infected players could become zombies.

How can a game have that many supposed upgrades from its previous version and have this DayZ mod yet still be able to just.... plug-in to the new Armas3?

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Amazing. Right now, DayZ is something unique. This is why I play games. It's absolutely amazing even in Alpha. It does need a lot of work, but this is something I love to spend my hard earned cash on.

How can a game have that many supposed upgrades from its previous version and have this DayZ mod yet still be able to just.... plug-in to the new Armas3?

The Arma series has been based around a scripted engine that can easily be modded HEAVILY by the community & its developers. This enables quick, seemless, and easily installed content to be rolled out by the community & the company at an amazing rate.

The Arma series is literally a modder's wet dream due to this system, and Arma 3 uses a more efficient & cleaned up version of this scripting system that is backwards compatible to Arma2 to a certain degree. However, since Rocket works for BI & has worked on Arma3 he knows all the ins & outs to make it completely portable from Arma2 -> 3 without much concern as opposed to community modders who would probably have an urk of a time to get it done.

Additionally, the new scripting engine for Arma3 that is backwards compatible is also more secure against hackers than the Arma2 engine currently is. Meaning, less hackers, and more ways to detect the smarter ones using the scripting engine to bypass the system. Making Arma3 a LOT more fun for everyone involved :3!

~~I've been an Arma fan since Operation Flashpoint :P! So i've been around awhile ;)! I also used to work on the ACE mod for Arma 1.

I don't really get into military simulation (or non sims) due to the community that they draw.

But I'm really glad to see a Zombie game get taken in this kind of direction.

Leads to some very great videos on the youuuutuuuube.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Wow all I can say is good for them nice to see a developer out there once with a brain, and not letting thier own ego's get in the way of what the players want!!

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Too bad that we would miss other good mods with Arma 3. I really thought the mod will be compatible with the official Arma 3 version. Alone the mod wasteland which I did post in another thread has a similar gameplay value.

Originally posted by Sorrow

Wow all I can say is good for them nice to see a developer out there once with a brain, and not letting thier own ego's get in the way of what the players want!!

Well technically his ego isn't in the way, but he's sticking to his own vision of what the game should be. He DOES listen when something is just too punishing, but at the same time he's said outright he will NOT do many things that diminish his vision. Meaning, people who QQ about how hard it is to find ammo are told to stop. It's a Zombie survival sim, not ZombieVille 2013 :P.

A good quality in a developer is seen when he knows the way it needs to go without suits or crybabies altering his course :3!

Originally posted by spizz

Too bad that we would with miss other good mods with Arma 3. I really thought the mod will be compatible with the official Arma 3 version. Alone the mod wasteland which I did post in another thread has a similar gameplay value.

What? Your post doesn't really make sense O_o?

If you're saying that other mods won't work in Dayz....that's incorrect. The way the engine is designed you can mix & match stuff from Arma3 with things from the Arma3: DayZ stuff, and other mods. So you can easily launch Arma 3 & join DayZ servers if you have DayZ also purchased & installed. 

This means you could theoretically have a DayZ Warfare server in Arma3 where different player factions fight for control over resources in a warfare-mod type situation with DayZ functions :]! Not that Rocket would do that, but it's how it can be setup :D!

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

This is great news, I was hoping the team would be able to get privileges for a stand-alone.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

It seems that the will use the popularity of the DayZ mod to increase sells of Arma 3. Even though I'd like it to see on better engine/graphics of Arma 3, I would like it best to be standalone version too.

He went on to say that it being a standalone title is important if only for the sake of consistency and ease of play, as mods are not the most stable or easy-to-use games, and that the only determining factor for the mod's future is the stability of the unpredictable fanbase.

In other words, this will be the same like Iron Front Liberation 1944. Just a mod based on the same engine, which could actually be played with Arma 3, but as standalone. Wonder why they go such a complicated way, instead releasing Arma 3 and just offer DayZ as a DLC. The basis, Arma 3, is the same and you have less options....mmmh

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Well technically his ego isn't in the way, but he's sticking to his own vision of what the game should be. He DOES listen when something is just too punishing, but at the same time he's said outright he will NOT do many things that diminish his vision. Meaning, people who QQ about how hard it is to find ammo are told to stop. It's a Zombie survival sim, not ZombieVille 2013 :P.

A good quality in a developer is seen when he knows the way it needs to go without suits or crybabies altering his course :3!

i understand that he sticking to his own vision. but would be nice to to choose where to spawn on the coast instend of random.

i know its a survival modz and all but playing with friend that what make this game fun, when u spawn 200mille away and just to get to him its take 3 hours running, no thanks.i been playing this mods for a while now. 2 long week and on the 2 week i only played 3 time with them and each time some friend were missing trying to get to us,

trying to reach to a friend for 3 hours its not playing the game. i even killed myself to join them on coast but i end up spawning way to far. kill again and then spawn the totaly at the opposite of the map.. grr lol anyway that my only problem with the game

the rest is perfect nothing should change. even now the game is to easy to my liking,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

You klnd of misunderstand what I am saying..

What I mean is it is nice to for once see the managers/money guys at a game studio have the intelligence to set aside the ego that management has and let a developer have free reign and money/team behind him to be creative and think for himself.

Originally posted by spizz

Too bad that we would with miss other good mods with Arma 3. I really thought the mod will be compatible with the official Arma 3 version. Alone the mod wasteland which I did post in another thread has a similar gameplay value.

What? Your post doesn't really make sense O_o?

If you're saying that other mods won't work in Dayz....that's incorrect. The way the engine is designed you can mix & match stuff from Arma3 with things from the Arma3: DayZ stuff, and other mods. So you can easily launch Arma 3 & join DayZ servers if you have DayZ also purchased & installed. 

This means you could theoretically have a DayZ Warfare server in Arma3 where different player factions fight for control over resources in a warfare-mod type situation with DayZ functions :]! Not that Rocket would do that, but it's how it can be setup :D!

Actually its not possible with Iron Front Liberation at the moment...but porting of mods will be possible, this is also another distributer (community modders who are selling it). Iron Front doesnt offer the full features like Arma 2 i.e. there are problems currently for CTI/Warfare modders since the CTI modul and civilians are not included and not allowed to use. There will be probably a workaround, but it is a little bit more complicated. You can only play IF gameplay modes currently, nothing else. But it is still a great game and offers as a standalone game of course more than only a mod, 2x campaigns and a handfull missions. If it would be only a mod, nobody had bought it for 30 bucks... its still a high quality mod and actually better than the free Invasion44 mod.

And like all Arma series players know, it takes some months after every release until the game is in good shape with some patches. ^^

Lets see how DayZ will look like in some months....

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

good to hear on the part he can develop his own standalone, but the title of this thread made me think he had to shutdown the mod.Then i read the thread :P

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Excellent news. Simply excellent.

:D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com