Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trials of Ascension: Developer Journal: Flora!

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Trials of Ascension has realeased a new developer journal. This time, the journal reveves around the creation of the elaborate and beautiful plant life of TerVarus. Even if you are not a fan of the game, this journal is an interesting read for anyone interested in the makings of an MMO.

Hello ToA fans. For this particular dev journal, I was asked to talk about my experience of building the rhyme and reason behind the flora of ToA. Follow me into the underbrush as I try my best to describe the dynamics and extreme level of interaction that you the player will experience with the plant life of TerVarus.

First, I want to talk about my own personal journey in creating the properties of all the common, diverse, and exotic flora that will be in ToA. It has been an interesting one to be sure. Long days and nights working on the plants until I would get to the point where all I wanted to do is dig my teeth into a big juicy steak and didn’t want to see anything green ever again! From coming up with version after version until we finally nailed down the initial plants that will be in the game to doing the same with the properties of the plants themselves, and all the research I did that went into creating the living documents, it was and will continue to be quite the journey. Thank goodness for team communication. This is so vital in the construction of any project, and it’s nice to know others have my back if I need to ask an urgent question to get an answer that will allow me to finish and meet my deadlines. Yes, even we owners have deadlines.

For more information on Trials of Ascension, click here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This is a game with perma-death and full out open PvP, and the gamemaker provides a Dev journal on how pretty the flowers are? Who, under these circumstances, is going to be standing around admiring the flora?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• nissa_rednissa_red Member Posts: 30

^
    |
    |

Please don't feed the troll above. It is quite obvious that :

1/ you didn't bother to read the FAQ about the game
    2/ you didn't even bother to read the page that the journal was published on

If you had, you would have seen that dozens of other "Dev journals" have been published before, and that the game is so much richer than the two features you mention. God help us, a mmoRPG that actually tries to handle PvP in the way it should, and that adds a realistic flavour to its world in keeping it fun!

Please keep the good work, ToA crew, your game is one of the very few that I am following with interest and looking forwards to play.

Let's see. From the FAQ:

"Each time that a character returns from the dead, they lose a life counter. When all of their life counters are gone, they may no longer return from the dead. At this point, the character is lost."

"While the certainty of permanent death can not be avoided, characters of sufficient mettle may leave a legacy in the world of TerVarus in the form of an artifact. The option to do this will be presented when their final death occurs."

That's permadeath.

"Player versus player activities are fully permitted. There are no overt controls upon it ..."

That's full out, open PvP.

So it seems you are the one who has failed to read the FAQ nissa-red.

But those sure are pretty flowers. They will go nice in a wreath on your permanently dead character's artifact.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

What is objectively wrong with PvP and/or Perma-death ? Nothing. If it is well implemented within the game, since the beginning, it is no different than roleplaying in Pen and Paper games. Players have been asking for such features in MMOGs for quite some time. There is a market.

You do not like these features, so be it. It is an opinion. I just fail to see the connection with your sarcasm about the flora system, which will undoubtly appeal to many roleplaying crafters or explorers alike.

You make no point whatsoever in your criticism. That is trolling.

If you are concerned about trolling, then you can say "I disagree with Amathe, like the flowers and think they add value to the game." Instead, you engage in name calling and falsly claim I haven't properly read the FAQ, which I have demonstrated that I have.

I suspect you have no clue whatsoever about PvP. I am almost tempted to buy this game, look your character up, and when I am done teaching you some manners leave a petunia poking out of your character's posterior so you will discover what my point here was. image

::::08::

::::18::