Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan to Launch September 5th

2»

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by IceAge

Aion .. for exemple? Not the EU! NcSoft Aion in the US! Then maybe .. Lineage2 ? WoW till lvl 20? :)

Aion and L2 probaby had a combined 50k subs tops in the NA/EU before the f2p, they can afford it because the revenue stream was non existent in the first place.  

• CembryeCembrye Member UncommonPosts: 65

The writing and acting on the trailer was pretty weak.  It reminded me of one of those D&D LARP videos.  Or Wayne's World -  I kept expecting someone to interrupt the guy who was talking and say "c'mon, I know this is just an E3 trailer, but we can do better than this" and then Charlton Heston steps in to do a retake.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Netspook
    Originally posted by corvenik

so your  complaining shits available to free players? they would still have to pay for the expansion anyways. also the games free to play ;p your still playing even if your paying they need money to keep the game up, if you disliked it that much then just quit ;p 

LOTRO being "free 2 play" is a myth, nothing more. For example, if you want quests past lvl 20, you'll have to buy quest packs. And don't bother saying you can grind to earn the needed TP - you'll have to grind just about every single deed over multiple toons to afford them, if doing it that way.

ALL publishers/devs needs money to keep their games up. But have you tried other f2p games? A lot of them gives you just about all the content free of charge, and mostly charges for fluff. And still they're making money. LOTRO is different, EVERYTHING is about squeezing money out of "free" players. Probably the worst "f2p" model out there.

If I should recommend this game to someone, I'd say go gold. It's not that bad if you buy 3 months at a time, and buy a few TP for additional stuff. But I would never ever recommend LOTRO to someone who wants to play for free.

Excuse me, but please elucidate us on what free to play games only offer fluff.  Most f2p games I am aware of, offer things only available via the item shop that are game balancing issues.  I don't know of any that just offer strictly fluff.   I still like Turbine's model better than any other f2p out there.

On that note the pricing for this expansion pack is a bit steep.  

Aion .. for exemple? Not the EU! NcSoft Aion in the US! Then maybe .. Lineage2 ? WoW till lvl 20? :)

Aion and Lineage 2 are correct.  But WoW?  People need to stop using games like WoW, Rift, and the upcoming SWTOR as examples of F2P when they are nothing more than a trial period with restrictions.  In fact, the phrase F2P shouldn't even be uttered towards any game that only lets you play "free" up to a certain level.  

And Netspook is correct.  LOTRO isn't F2P.  It's always been  "Freemium" model.  You don't pay for a sub, but to gain additional content beyond the first couple of  zones (which get you to about level 30), you need to start buying the quest packs in chunks.  In other words, play and pay for the game at your own pace.  Yes, you can earn those quest packs through deeds, but it's extremely impractical and unbearably tedious to do so.  If you are going to play to level cap, you ARE going to pay money to do it. Period.  

The F2P phrase is a misnomer for this game, and unfortunately, Turbine doesn't exactly shy away from using it because it "technically" is possible to get to level cap if you don't mind spending your life grinding deeds.  But nobody with an ounce of sanity, or any kind of social life, would attempt it.  

Still, for what you get in terms of content, the freemium model is a GREAT value.  

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Netspook
    Originally posted by corvenik

so your  complaining shits available to free players? they would still have to pay for the expansion anyways. also the games free to play ;p your still playing even if your paying they need money to keep the game up, if you disliked it that much then just quit ;p 

LOTRO being "free 2 play" is a myth, nothing more. For example, if you want quests past lvl 20, you'll have to buy quest packs. And don't bother saying you can grind to earn the needed TP - you'll have to grind just about every single deed over multiple toons to afford them, if doing it that way.

ALL publishers/devs needs money to keep their games up. But have you tried other f2p games? A lot of them gives you just about all the content free of charge, and mostly charges for fluff. And still they're making money. LOTRO is different, EVERYTHING is about squeezing money out of "free" players. Probably the worst "f2p" model out there.

If I should recommend this game to someone, I'd say go gold. It's not that bad if you buy 3 months at a time, and buy a few TP for additional stuff. But I would never ever recommend LOTRO to someone who wants to play for free.

Excuse me, but please elucidate us on what free to play games only offer fluff.  Most f2p games I am aware of, offer things only available via the item shop that are game balancing issues.  I don't know of any that just offer strictly fluff.   I still like Turbine's model better than any other f2p out there.

On that note the pricing for this expansion pack is a bit steep.  

Now where did I say ONLY or STRICTLY offer fluff? I said MOSTLY. Really, if you're going to reply to something, make sure you read it.

Turbine better than others? That's bs.

Wanna quest? Buy quest packs.

Your toon's too weak? Buy stat tomes.

Still too weak? By trait slots

etc.

There are plenty of games out there that mainly charges for things like bag slots, bank, increased gold limit, and such. LOTRO does this in ADDITION to charging for just about everything else you can possibly think of.

LOTRO is the ONLY f2p game I know about, that doesn't offer quests (except book) beyond a quarter of the lvl cap. Which alone is reason enough to avoid their f2p model. Again, gold (sub) isn't so bad, but only really stupid people chooses LOTRO if they want to play a game without paying anything at all.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Typosos
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Are they for real with this trailer?  o.0   At least being owned by WB would have thought them having access to better actors. Don't know what to think of that trailer. /shrug

Also, except for the mounted combat, there isn't much in this expac that stands out! Especially being heavily burned by the previous Rise of Isengard expac.

So lets break Down the expac's advertised features:

- levelcap increase of 10 Levels
    - 1 New zone With bunch of quests
    - Mounted combat + warsteeds
    - Epic book (most likely available to Free players at no cost, just like RoI)

So no New instances? No New Raids? No New skirmishes? AGAIN!

And let me quess? They gonna charge the full monthy again for this aka 50 bucks ofcourse. And for what exactly? Yup! Mounted combat and bunch of standard quests!

Seems Turbine has yet again ignored all the negative feedback regarding the Rise of Isengard expansion and just does the exact same all over again with this expac. /shrug

there isnt only 1 area!read more!Its bigger than Moria and its 2 raids and instances + skirmishes!

where did you find this imaginary news?  There is no mention at all about any new instances, raids or skirmishes!

If you mean the existing scalable instances and skirmishes just scaling further!

Sorry to break it to you! That is not new and part of the expac! You already paid for it years ago, people have been doing those for years on end already ad infinitum!

The scaling tech is already in place for years, so it scales further automatically like is already confirmed by the dev long ago.

So please stop making things up that ain't there!  If there were new instances, skirmishes and raids to be part of the Expac, it would be announced and advertised on the feature page! As it would be a major sell point to increase expac sales! /shrug

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I only bought the ROI quesy pack with my free points as a lifer.  I skipped the instances in December all together and never bothered with the Great River update.

Turbine lost all of my respect a long time ago and keeps putting out mini expansions.

At this point, when it comes to Turbine only expect exactly what they advertise for their preorders.  And expect to pay at lest twice what the content is worth.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Mounted combat won't be available anywhere on the Map except in Rohan, right?

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

"Discover LOTRO's largest landscape yet – nearly twice as large as Moria!"

rohan.lotro.com

source in ur face

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

"Discover LOTRO's largest landscape yet – nearly twice as large as Moria!"

rohan.lotro.com

source in ur face

What is the point of adding a huge landscape if there is no content in it? Huge landmass doesn't automatically translate to lots of content!

To stay at least a bit true to the IP aka Lore.... they have to make it that big. Most of it will be vast open empty space... as it should be.

So expect just a huge landmass with a few scatered quest hubs here and there.

Fact is!  That the Mirkwood expac (wich was touted and flamed left and right as just a mini expac) offered far more "actual" content and features than both RoI and RoR combined! And you only paid 30 bucks for it back in the time!

With RoR, Turbine charges you 50 bucks for a glorified quest pack. What a joke.

I really love the game. I really do. Have been playing it since launch!

But Turbine has gone too far with this now. I felt heavily burned and cheated with the abysmal RoI expac last year. I am not gonna fall for this again. I have drawn a line for myself and Turbine has crossed it. Here and no further!

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Agreed -- LOTRO is probably the best MMO I have seen using the WoW model, and their questines are actually higher quality content than WoW's.  I recently reviewed it after having left the game awhile: http://strangesands.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/the-quiet-mmo-lord-of-the-rings-online/

• orcasmorcasm Member Posts: 5

Quote from RebelScum99:

My only issue with the game, as it has always been, is the combat. Among the most boring in all of MMOs. Yet the rest of the game is so deep and solid that I always return, even if the combat doesn't allow me to play for more than a few months before needing a break.  H

Have you tried the Warden recently? After the past couple of updates they are now a true joy to play.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Well there are upsides and downsides to this ... Yeah comparing this to Trions Rift exapnsion makes me feel a bit envious.

They either:

1. Messed up the feature page and forgot lots of cool stuff.

2. Try to feed us a mini xpac like RoI for 40-70$

The upside being that im a lifetimer with oodles of TP, so i atleast won't have to pay dough for this.

But really, i start to appreciate Trion more and more even though their game didn't click with me the time i tried. But these mini expansions Turbine tries to sell lately for the price of entire game ... I don't know, i mean on one hand im getting them free, but on the other a free shallow game is still a shallow game.

I mean, lets say hypothetically you don't like mounted combat. Fair chance for that isn't there? I mean its probably quite different then normal combat(or not ...). So lets say you don't like it, what is left of that expansion for you? Also chances are they will heavily abuse the system and include it in every instance and raid for quite some time.

Also Turbine has a less then stellar trackrecord with including new systems and making them run smoothly. My skirmish soldiers can't follow me over a simple landscpae without getting stuck to this day, their AI is nonexistant, and their dungeon finder tries to put me into a skirmish all alone.

• gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133

Way overpriced for a paltry feature set and preorder incentives.   I'd rather buy a new game.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

Mounted combat looks pretty cool, i played lotro for a very long time, life time member, got burned out, might return after they add Mordor, so I will have a new game to play.  I did not like the turn Turbine made after the Mines of Mora, Mirkwood kinda did me in.