Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I still play Ultima Online... and I'm not alone!

Fargo71Fargo71 Member Posts: 6

One word answer to the thread title: Community!

UO was the very first MMO I played and it continues to provide so many elements that are found lacking in newer games.

More than that, the community that remains, and I admit that it is not what it once was, are dedicated to ensuring the continued success of the oldest MMO still running.

15 years of history are hard to underestimate, the love for the game is seldom seen elsewhere.

Take a look at what one group of players have dedicated their time and effort to produce for this community:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EOGamerUltimaOnline

Comments

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Fargo71

One word answer to the thread title: Community!

UO was the very first MMO I played and it continues to provide so many elements that are found lacking in newer games.

More than that, the community that remains, and I admit that it is not what it once was, are dedicated to ensuring the continued success of the oldest MMO still running.

15 years of history are hard to underestimate, the love for the game is seldom seen elsewhere.

Take a look at what one group of players have dedicated their time and effort to produce for this community:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EOGamerUltimaOnline

That is one game that could survive another 15 yrs if they added the 3d framework.

Sanbox MMO players arent huge in number, but when they find a game, they do indeed stick to it.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    UO vet here*1997 open day* love it but i cant play it anymore, DAOC took that love and ran deep with it lol. But UO will always be that first love tyoe deal.
  • dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

First love and will always love.  If there was another UO it would have be a top-down view for me to play it.  That was apart of what made UO's gameplay.  All these wannabe clones with their first person 3d experience don't even come with in inches of UO's amazingness.  The community was so solid and I met many many people in that game.  I met more friends in UO than any other MMO to date, and it even had a worse chat system. 

• Fargo71Fargo71 Member Posts: 6

It's nice to see that people remember it fondly, but it's not dead, you don't have to mourn a lost friend... we are still here and ready to welcome back any old friends with open arms :)

Apologies for the link... a new video had been uploaded and moved the Europa 15th Anniversary Museum down the list. If anybody does want to see the video of the player run museum, it is at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zQWpuo8CbU&list=UUUpXM7vzA3dSmrLI6PJP8Vw&index=2&feature=plcp

Apologies again.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Yep still play it off an on.  I get that itch I can't scratch every few months.

Interesting interview with Richard Garriott.  Who knows that this Ultimate RPG will be, time will tell.

http://stratics.com/an-interview-with-richard-garriott-part-two/

Although I hold Richard Garriott in high regard, after all it is him we must thank for the original concept, I believe that he probably could not bring any more to the table regarding Ultima.

I hope that his new ventures in "social gaming" are successful, he is an extremely creative fellow.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I liked alot about UO but the graphics and the community were 2 things I couldn't stand....... My memories of it are all the gankers waiting outside the gates of Britain to kill anyone who stepped foot outside.....No telling how many others these idiots drove away from the game.

Whilst the early days were indeed a case of survival of the fittest, looking around different forums you tend to see a lot of people who regard those times as the best for Ultima Online! Personnally I like to be able to choose when and who I'm going up against. The fact that the non-concensual PvP facet remains fairly empty at most times would attest to me not being the only one.

As to the graphics, in 1997 you didn't really have much of a choice when it came to MMO's. Meridian 59 springs to mind, which had a totally different graphical style. Saying that, I liked the other Ultima games, VII for example, so I was and remain, a fan of the graphical style. It seems to make the world more accesible somehow.