Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition

redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

So I was just having a browse thru Steams up and coming and saw this was heading our way in approximately 2 months, 3 weeks, 5 days and 18 hours,( just to hazard a guess :)

to quote the blurb on the store page, "Dark Souls is an upcoming action role-playing game from the developers who brought you Demon’s Souls, From Software. Dark Souls will have many familiar features: A dark fantasy universe, tense dungeon crawling, fearsome enemy encounters and unique online interactions. Dark Souls is a spiritual successor to Demon’s, not a sequel."

Check it out here: http://preparetodie.com/en/

or here; http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/?snr=1_4_4__105_2

Personaly I'll be looking forward to this, How about you?

*Yes we Know it's not a full mmorpg, ..but so what it looks like fun, if it's not your cup of tea then whine about it some where else please.

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by redcap036

So I was just having a browse thru Steams up and coming and saw this was heading our way in approximately 2 months, 3 weeks, 5 days and 18 hours,( just to hazard a guess :)

to quote the blurb on the store page, "Dark Souls is an upcoming action role-playing game from the developers who brought you Demon’s Souls, From Software. Dark Souls will have many familiar features: A dark fantasy universe, tense dungeon crawling, fearsome enemy encounters and unique online interactions. Dark Souls is a spiritual successor to Demon’s, not a sequel."

Check it out here: http://preparetodie.com/en/

or here; http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/?snr=1_4_4__105_2

Personaly I'll be looking forward to this, How about you?

*Yes we Know it's not a full mmorpg, ..but so what it looks like fun, if it's not your cup of tea then whine about it some where else please.

I wonder how much effort they are putting into the pc version.  Hopefully (but not likely) more than your typical console to pc port.

• AegisSagaAegisSaga Member Posts: 33

I must say, Dark Souls is the type of game that is hard to get into, but once you do you can't stop playing it. At least that's how it was for me. I hope they do a good job with this version, it's an amazing game and I'd say one of the few real hardcore games out there. 

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Not really looking forward to it to be honest.  I have read quotes from the developers that the game will basically be a straight port from the console version.  The developers have so far stated the game will receive no graphical enhancements for the PC and will have minimal mouse and keyboard support.  There is also high chance the game will be using the Games for Windows Live DRM even for the Steam version.  Games for Windows Live can be frustrating to the say the least, not sure if you have ever used it on the PC.  There was a PC Gamer story last week stating that the Steam version will be using only Steamworks and not GFWL (with steamworks being a much more palatable form of DRM), while the other retail versions will use GFWL, but the story was pulled and unconfirmed. 

There is also rumors floating around that the game will be locked at 30 fps and only be in 720p.  I am hoping Namco will be releasing more infomation about the game at E3.  All of this stuff could change of course!  Until then, unfortunately I will sticking with the console version.  What kills me is the minimal keyboard support.  Can't stand PC games that require use of gamepads.  Would rather just play them on Xbox.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Definately looks like something i would enjoy, i'll have to keep an eye on it. Cheers for making me aware.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Originally posted by Worstluck

Not really looking forward to it to be honest.  I have read quotes from the developers that the game will basically be a straight port from the console version.  The developers have so far stated the game will receive no graphical enhancements for the PC and will have minimal mouse and keyboard support.  There is also high chance the game will be using the Games for Windows Live DRM even for the Steam version.  Games for Windows Live can be frustrating to the say the least, not sure if you have ever used it on the PC.  There was a PC Gamer story last week stating that the Steam version will be using only Steamworks and not GFWL (with steamworks being a much more palatable form of DRM), while the other retail versions will use GFWL, but the story was pulled and unconfirmed. 

There is also rumors floating around that the game will be locked at 30 fps and only be in 720p.  I am hoping Namco will be releasing more infomation about the game at E3.  All of this stuff could change of course!  Until then, unfortunately I will sticking with the console version.  What kills me is the minimal keyboard support.  Can't stand PC games that require use of gamepads.  Would rather just play them on Xbox.

Don't take this the wrong way, but i'm going to keep my fingers crossed and prey that your wrong, it would be a big disapointment if they did that to the game, so here's hoping.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Don't take this the wrong way, but i'm going to keep my fingers crossed and prey that your wrong, it would be a big disapointment if they did that to the game, so here's hoping.

Well I am hoping they will make the game more PC friendly as well.  I think they got like 25,000 petition signatures (something I read in a pc gamer article) to bring the game to PC in the first place.

Trust me, I hope I am wrong too :D   They will be releasing more info at E3 for sure, so soon enough we will know.  At this point it's conjecture and I am just a very skeptical person (sometimes too much, with a dash a pessimism lol).

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Originally posted by AegisSaga

I must say, Dark Souls is the type of game that is hard to get into, but once you do you can't stop playing it. At least that's how it was for me. I hope they do a good job with this version, it's an amazing game and I'd say one of the few real hardcore games out there. 

I've been waiting since I first heard about Demon souls on consoles, I heard they were going to bring it over and now i'm looking forward to it, it might even be a nice tie over till Wizzardy online comes out.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Well I am hoping they will make the game more PC friendly as well.  I think they got like 25,000 petition signatures (something I read in a pc gamer article) to bring the game to PC in the first place.

Trust me, I hope I am wrong too :D   They will be releasing more info at E3 for sure, so soon enough we will know.  At this point it's conjecture and I am just a very skeptical person (sometimes too much, with a dash a pessimism lol).

They said they recommend taht you play it with a controler, but that was the case with AC2 and there were people saying that playing it on keyboard is almost impossible, while I had no problem with it. I guess it remains to be seen.

As for GFWL, they said that it's not set in stone if they are going with it, and I hope they don't, but it would make sence to use it for the multiplayer part, because it would be easier since they have the MP setup for the Xbox network already. Similar tech.