Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE + HDTV ?

hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Hello there,

I'm about to start playing EVE and  i was planning a HDTV for my gaming place , i  wonder if it's "possible" to play in it.

the "possible" is not techwise is just that EVE has very tinny font size and TVs  usually don't handle text in a good way.

The space might look very awsome in a big screen, though. 

Have you ever tried ? 

Comments

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

If you're gunna do it, do it with a 1080p TV it will look horrid on a 720p HDTV. Trust me I know ;)

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

I was literally looking for a thread just like this, I want to get into it and i have a 47 inch HDTV i'm running right now.

So please if anyone has any knowledge if it's worth it to run on a big screen, or should i hook it back up to my monitor?

Thanks!

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

maybe for big epic null sec fights where theres 100s vs 100s. cant really picture it being that great for anything else.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Well i'm already running it off my HDTV for convenience, otherwise i have to set-up another computer desk, re-arrange my game room, no fun!

But is it a bad idea to run EvE on a large T.V.? Or is it totally do-able?

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

A friend of mine has been running it on a 720pp plasma TV for years until he recently got an Imac.

The text was an problem for him, it was readable but only barely at the normal distance you keep from a TV. You are also better off working with hotkeys during combat than try to hit some of the quite small buttons.

However, that was literally years ago on a really old plasma, could only handle a tiny resolution by todays standards. I think he was running it on some weird resolution. These days on a decent TV, and running at a resolution of 1920x1680 it should be a whole different beast. Mainly because with that resolution you will have alot of "empty" space on your screen, so you can increase the font and interface size. Also these days you can pretty much tune everything in the client itself, the interface has gotton pretty customizable.

So yeah, provided your PC can handle running the game at a decent resolution it should be very fine with a little finetuning of options in the client to account for the fact your probably keeping alot more distance from your TV than an ordinary screen(sitting on couch and stuff).

Edit: Text will always be problematic, you can read it but its tirering and easier to miss a crucial bit in an intel channel. Not a problem though if you get into one of the many VC mandatory corps, talk about turning a annoyance into an advantage.

Edit: Also you can read the ingame mail etc on web these days ... would be kinda cool using an Ipad for that while lounging on the couch and blowing up stuff ...

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I play on a 50" 1080p (or i, whatever the higher one is supposed to be), and the game looks amazing.

I'm like 6-8ft away from the televisin, and can read the fonts fine. 

Inernet spacships look better at 50".

PS: I keep it at the 1920x1080 resolution. 

PPS: My pc is actually fed through a dolby digital entertainment center as well.  Game sounds great over a home theatre setup.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

You can scale the interface size a significant bit bigger to alleviate some of your text issues on an HDTV.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

good to know !!

Maybe will try this hehe

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I run Eve on my 32" HDTV at 1080p but then again I am sat in front of it LOL... as its on my computer desk :)

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I run Eve on my 32" HDTV at 1080p but then again I am sat in front of it LOL... as its on my computer desk :)

How good is it ?  how blind are you getting ? hehe

Maybe i'll get a 32" TV as monitor as well... how well the tv handles the text ? 

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

CCP changed the font, it looks much better at high resolutions (1080p and beyond) and its more adjustable. You should be able to get the fonts looking fine now.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.