Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hate to say it, but y'all told me so.......

ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

As much as I have defended SW:ToR and bashed SWG, the SWG fanbois won. I miss Galaxies. Now granted. I have always missed SWG, meaning as before the NGE. But now, I actually miss the NGE (the 2010-11 version). There are things about ToR that I do like over the NGE.

1. The classes in ToR over the NGE classes, to me, are phenominal. Playing my Jedi Shadow or My Sentinel, I actually feel like a Jedi. I never did in Galaxies. Granted, I never got a chance to play one prior to the NGE because they swept that rug from under me, but that is another topic. But in the NGE, Jedi never felt like Jedi. The abilities all were "Jedi-esque" and flow with them.

2. The combat system is great in ToR because of the Z-axis. You can actually pull, push, jump and fall in this game where as in Galaxies, it was more 2-dimensional. Galaxies tried to implement this with NGE, but failed in it's attempt because of the lack of the Z-axis.

3. The "Legacy" story ergo, your characters class story to level you up is a 100x better than the NGE legacy story. No need to even go into this explanation.

4. The Warzones, Ops, Flashpoints and Heroics beat out SWG's by far. More interesting. Fun to play.

That is about all that I like about ToR. The things I miss from SWG:

1. The open world. I miss the vastness of SWG. They got this right in my opinion. Yes, they could have added stuff to do in the world, but I think that the Dev team was on the right track with it.

2. Interactions with others. I miss interacting with other players. Even if I didn't talk to anybody, I always could run into somebody out in the wild doing whatever.

3. OWPvP. I miss this also. Running around SF wondering who I was going to get jumped by. ToR needs a heavy dose of this.

4. Space. Nuff said. That is self-explanatory in it's own right.

5. Crafting and resource gathering. Another thing that SWG was the king of and that I wish was in ToR.

So in a nutshell, I love the combat and classes from ToR, but miss everything else that Galaxies has to offer. I wish they would have continued with Galaxies and continued to make it better, but we all know that ship has sailed and is never coming back. Just wanted to say to those who told me that I would miss it when it was gone and that ToR wouldn't live up to my expectations, you were right. Y'all told me so. image

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I really wish more games implemented PVP the way the old galaxies did it. There was no servers seperated by PVP,PVE or RP. If you wanted to PVP, you flagged yourself PVP and went at it against whoever else was on the other side flagged. I know the carebears didn't like getting flagged when they strolled onto a planet that happened to flip to the other side, but I thought it added a bit of excitment to the mix. The only thing that sucked for me was the wear and tear to your expensive gear after you cloned.

Plus gear wasn't seperated by playstyle. You used what worked best for yourself and how you fought, not by its PVE or PVP designation.I'll never understand why games like to overcomplicate this process.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I really wish more games implemented PVP the way the old galaxies did it. There was no servers seperated by PVP,PVE or RP. If you wanted to PVP, you flagged yourself PVP and went at it against whoever else was on the other side flagged. I know the carebears didn't like getting flagged when they strolled onto a planet that happened to flip to the other side, but I thought it added a bit of excitment to the mix. The only thing that sucked for me was the wear and tear to your expensive gear after you cloned.

Plus gear wasn't seperated by playstyle. You used what worked best for yourself and how you fought, not by its PVE or PVP designation.I'll never understand why games like to overcomplicate this process.

I have always thought that decay and eventual loss of gear in SWG was for most parts, non-problematic.  A full suit of good quality Composite costed 100k on Ahazi server back in the day.  A good, reliable blaster was anywhere from 30k-50k, depending on the type.  Running a couple missions in a day, maybe 2 if you were feeling lazy, and you can completely replace your armor, which tended to be more expensive than other gear.  Or you can replace pieces here and there, since only certain parts tended to wear down a whole lot more than the rest.  Chestplates, leggings, and helmet come to mind, but most especially the chestplates.

Stuff that was good enough to PvE as well as PvP in.  Now, if you wanted the really high end stuff, then yes, you'll pay alot more.  But replacing your gear was not a problem to me in the Pre-NGE days (where decay was still in, of course).

Ditto on the stupid seperation of PvE and PvP gear.  SWG was one of the games that did it right.  The plus side to it, is that due to the deep nature of crafting, a crafter could, upon any specific request, experiment with item to try to attain a specific set of traits.  The reason why you could try to get a blaster with high accuracy, moderate damage, moderate action / mind costs.  Or some other combination of stats.  For PvE and PvP, the gear was all the same.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I remember when you could build forward bases/take over cities. Alas... The good ol days.

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

I could truly care less what many say about "their game" they play now a days or what not but deep down they can see (Unless they are totally numb nutted) that SWG did alot right, alot.   As stated so far here, pvp and the gear ideas were just spot on correct and how it always should be.  Wanna show how good you truly are, shop around for the best resources, tinker and mess around with numbers and quality on the grades of those resources, craft your armor and weapons ... then... go into a spot, talk smack and then FLAG yourself pvp and see how fun that was. 

True there are some things I do not miss about SWG but in all honesty,  hands down the best game I have ever played when it came to having fun and playing with an actual community.  I can safely say that SWG's community was better than any community on any other game is now. Bring back SWG's community, their pvp, their crafting and resource gathering into a new game now and I"ll be there ready to shell out the purchase price.

((On a side note, I loved going around to each planet and using my recon tools to find the best spot to harvest that awesome grade of resource.. it was a slight rush, like winning a mini game or something haha. ))

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

If the NGE that SWG ended its life with was launched today with improved animations the game would be a success. I prefer the Pre-CU days over any version of the NGE but at the end the NGE was pretty good.  It just took way to long for it to become decent.  I remember when they rolled that crap out on us it was so buggy, almost to the point of not being playable. It sure as hell wasn't enjoyable.

There are lots of things I miss about SWG. There were many things that SWG did right until the very end. It is just the constant mistakes, lies and incompetence that I don't miss at all. I do have to give credit to the few devs they had on board at the end. I don't think anyone cared about that game as much as they did.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by GreenHell

If the NGE that SWG ended its life with was launched today with improved animations the game would be a success

The NGE in the last couple of years before shutdown was really good. That skeleton crew of a dev team knew how to fix the NGE debacle.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Apples are apples. Oranges are oranges. Bland mediocre gunge is bland mediocre gunge,

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

The problem isn't that we WERE, and still are, right.

The problem is people's willingness to blindly jump into a product because of a developer's NAME & IP only. The warning signs, for those of us whom knew what to look for, were all over the place in SWTOR. People just don't understand that an MMO's success relies primarily on it's replayability, "End-Game", and depth. 

SWTOR had almost zero depth.

SWTOR also had limited replayability once you got to the "End" with your character.

SWTOR's end-game consisted of copy & paste raid content, childishly shallow PVP, and rerolling new characters to experience the "Storyline" for those classes/characters. 

Additionally, SWTOR's claim to fame was its voiced & cinematic-like storyline not to mention "Multiple" choices. The problem with an in-depth storyline that the character supposedly has multiple choices to choose from to evolve the story is that content for such a game is VERY hard to produce quickly enough to outpace even "Casual" gamers.

The pure beauty of SWG pre-NGE was that the sandbox elements of the game allowed the players to produce their own entertainment given the specific "rules" and "box" assigned to them by the game. All SOE had to do was continue to produce quality content, dungeons, weapon types, armor types, vehicles, more planets, expand space combat, and expand upon player cities, but above all else expand upon the GCW into a more "Galactic Civil War" than it previously was. SWG SHOULD have been a quality hit, but SOE AND LucasArts completely dropped the ball.

SWTOR will probably even out at around 250,000 subscribers before too long and scuffle along with meager subscriber income for such a high-priced development. They may not even be able to keep up with the interest on all of their hundreds of millions of dollars in loans if they continue to bleed subscribers like they currently are.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by Warmaker

I have always thought that decay and eventual loss of gear in SWG was for most parts, non-problematic.  A full suit of good quality Composite costed 100k on Ahazi server back in the day.  A good, reliable blaster was anywhere from 30k-50k, depending on the type.  Running a couple missions in a day, maybe 2 if you were feeling lazy, and you can completely replace your armor, which tended to be more expensive than other gear.  Or you can replace pieces here and there, since only certain parts tended to wear down a whole lot more than the rest.  Chestplates, leggings, and helmet come to mind, but most especially the chestplates.

Stuff that was good enough to PvE as well as PvP in.  Now, if you wanted the really high end stuff, then yes, you'll pay alot more.  But replacing your gear was not a problem to me in the Pre-NGE days (where decay was still in, of course).

My problem was I played a bounty hunter. I HAD to have the best because I was hunting jedi. Of course whenever I went and hunted basic animals for hides I'd put a cheap set of composite on and go to town, but for jedi who were insanely overpowered I had to use the top notch stuff and one topped out sliced pistol would run me a million credits on corbantis. The CU was my favorite version of the game, but one thing it badly needed was a fixing on the item decay. It got really bad after that patch. 

Ditto on the stupid seperation of PvE and PvP gear.  SWG was one of the games that did it right.  The plus side to it, is that due to the deep nature of crafting, a crafter could, upon any specific request, experiment with item to try to attain a specific set of traits.  The reason why you could try to get a blaster with high accuracy, moderate damage, moderate action / mind costs.  Or some other combination of stats.  For PvE and PvP, the gear was all the same

I always wished that I could experience the crafting but I wasn't jedi and I refuse to pay another subscription just to have another toon on the same server. I always thought the one character slot per server was a stupid restriction to have. 

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

this right here. 

the game was tailored to suit the way you play. didnt have to choose by server.

space is the thing i miss most, playing pre cu now but no space :(

i'd happily take latest NGE over anything else tho. so much choice of content to choose from.

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Warmaker

My problem was I played a bounty hunter. I HAD to have the best because I was hunting jedi. Of course whenever I went and hunted basic animals for hides I'd put a cheap set of composite on and go to town, but for jedi who were insanely overpowered I had to use the top notch stuff and one topped out sliced pistol would run me a million credits on corbantis. The CU was my favorite version of the game, but one thing it badly needed was a fixing on the item decay. It got really bad after that patch. 

Ditto on the stupid seperation of PvE and PvP gear.  SWG was one of the games that did it right.  The plus side to it, is that due to the deep nature of crafting, a crafter could, upon any specific request, experiment with item to try to attain a specific set of traits.  The reason why you could try to get a blaster with high accuracy, moderate damage, moderate action / mind costs.  Or some other combination of stats.  For PvE and PvP, the gear was all the same

The imposition of Combat Levels was at the root of a lot of the CU's problems. Yes, to an extent "levels" of a sort had always been there. But overt CLs as part of the damage calculation were why weapon and armor decay got so bad. They also scr3wd over everyone who wanted to mix combat with noncombat professions. NGE eventually fixed that (years too late) by changing Combat Level to Character Level; I was yelling for that as soon as CU hit, when I wasn't calling for CL to be dropped altogether.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

My condolences. I know how you feel.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Gorilla

Apples are apples. Oranges are oranges. Bland mediocre gunge is bland mediocre gunge,

I agree.....SWG was a pretty buggy, and broken down game. I didnt stick around very long in the CU era.

A good trade set up is nice for those that enjoy it. Reserving the land for harvestors n houses is pretty idiotic IMO. PVE is the most player utilized mechanic in MMOs, and SWG lacked in that department.

The flag system was a good thing for those looking to PVP on the drop of a dime. I would suggest it for all games wishing to included PVP. Never force folks into PVP if they dont want it.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Originally posted by Moaky07

I agree.....SWG was a pretty buggy, and broken down game. I didnt stick around very long in the CU era.

A good trade set up is nice for those that enjoy it. Reserving the land for harvestors n houses is pretty idiotic IMO. PVE is the most player utilized mechanic in MMOs, and SWG lacked in that department.

The flag system was a good thing for those looking to PVP on the drop of a dime. I would suggest it for all games wishing to included PVP. Never force folks into PVP if they dont want it.

Just brought me back to probably the biggest argument that used to happen on the forums pre-nge. Players would roll jedi knowing the risks and then would whine like little school girls because a bounty hunter would show up, kill them and knock them back a bunch of XP.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Moaky07

Just brought me back to probably the biggest argument that used to happen on the forums pre-nge. Players would roll jedi knowing the risks and then would whine like little school girls because a bounty hunter would show up, kill them and knock them back a bunch of XP.

That is basically EVE in a nut shell.....mine here you should be OK. Leave protected space for the good stuff, and you are open to having your ass handed to you.

It is why sandboxes will remain niche for the forseeable future IMO. PVE brings many more subs than PVP, and there is no way in hell you should be serving those players up for dinner.

Especially in a game like SWG which majorly lacked in the PVE department.

Ah well, Kostors master plan was shot the fuck down by gamers as a whole.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.