Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do ignorant people voice their opinions as if they're professionals?

Question #1: I noticed, especially on the internet, the majority of people will voice their opinion as fact, even when they have no experience or knowledge on the subject. Why do they do this?

My Answer to #1: Do people actually think they know what they are talking about? Does the toneless sarcasticless space of the Internet only make it SEEM like they're stating it as fact? Do people think reading something on the internet makes it true?

Question #2: On another topic, why do people say irrational things that are contrary to basic logic that most people agree upon? (Ex. "Just because you write in Word a game design, doesn't make you a game designer.") By very definiton and logic, this quote is entirely irrational and incorrect. Doodling in Word, designing a game or game features, would very much so make someone a game designer.

My Answer to #2: Is it because people don't understand the use of adjectives? "Experienced Designer, Amateur Designer, Poorly Designed, Inexperienced Designer, etc. etc." Do people get angry when others are given or have self-proclaimed titles, even when true? Do people get upset because it's misleading and fail to realize they're being misled by their own ignorant (of adjectives) assumptions?

Question #3: What makes people believe misinformation? Whether it is FOX NEWS spewing lies to their redneck viewers, or internet rumors or historical myths that are believed to be true (such as people thinking the earth was flat, and Columbus believing contrary)-- why do people believe these things?

My Answer to #3: Is it because these people don't understand or never learned how to properly research something or think rationally on the subject? I was taught in grade school that Columbus thought the Earth was round, and everyone else at the time didn't. This was never true, but it's still taught in many of our schools BY history teachers. Yet when I first thought about it, my rational processes and basic logic concluded that most people probably thought it was round, since the beginning of time. Upon doing ACTUAL research, I find my logic to actually become true. Most people DIDN'T think the Earth was flat. What I learned in grade school was a lie. Yet most people dont ever seem to question their logic or challenge what they've learned.

Comments

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

If Human beings truly have their own mind, why do so few think for themselves?

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Your opinions - your answers - seem as if you are implying you are a professional.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Obviously you do not have a M.S. in Opinionating like everyone else on the internet does.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by Dekron

Your opinions - your answers - seem as if you are implying you are a professional.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Originally posted by Cleffy

Obviously you do not have a M.S. in Opinionating like everyone else on the internet does.

I have a B.S. in opinionating. But I have a M.S. in B.S.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by LeegOfChldrn

Question #1: I noticed, especially on the internet, the majority of people will voice their opinion as fact, even when they have no experience or knowledge on the subject. Why do they do this?

Some people probably aren't simply familiar with debate and discussion. The most common example is when people state something as fact, get called out on it and they reply that it should be understood that it's opinion. It seems it's often more miscommunication than anything else.

Question #2: On another topic, why do people say irrational things that are contrary to basic logic that most people agree upon? (Ex. "Just because you write in Word a game design, doesn't make you a game designer.") By very definiton and logic, this quote is entirely irrational and incorrect. Doodling in Word, designing a game or game features, would very much so make someone a game designer.

My Answer to #2: Is it because people don't understand the use of adjectives? "Experienced Designer, Amateur Designer, Poorly Designed, Inexperienced Designer, etc. etc." Do people get angry when others are given or have self-proclaimed titles, even when true? Do people get upset because it's misleading and fail to realize they're being misled by their own ignorant (of adjectives) assumptions?

All those are very different from Aspiring Designer, which is someone who is NOT a designer. ;)  If someone put on their resume that they were a game designer, a prospective employer would expect that they worked on, and probably received compensation for, their work in that capacity on a title, released or otherwise. If their answer is that they haven't worked on a title but they wrote up a great design document, well, that would be the end of the interview or at least the moment where the potential employer realized what they were dealing with and made their decision.

Question #3: What makes people believe misinformation? Whether it is FOX NEWS spewing lies to their redneck viewers, or internet rumors or historical myths that are believed to be true (such as people thinking the earth was flat, and Columbus believing contrary)-- why do people believe these things?

My Answer to #3: Is it because these people don't understand or never learned how to properly research something or think rationally on the subject? I was taught in grade school that Columbus thought the Earth was round, and everyone else at the time didn't. This was never true, but it's still taught in many of our schools BY history teachers. Yet when I first thought about it, my rational processes and basic logic concluded that most people probably thought it was round, since the beginning of time. Upon doing ACTUAL research, I find my logic to actually become true. Most people DIDN'T think the Earth was flat. What I learned in grade school was a lie. Yet most people dont ever seem to question their logic or challenge what they've learned.

Research is a dead art, in America, that is.  I'd be surprised if our schools were even still teaching it. The remaining Baby Boomers still do research as it has always been part of their life. Gen X had their parents to shield them, but they still grew up with encyclopedias in the house, a library (or at least library card) as part of their childhood and a barrage of PSAs throughout their formative years. The Millenials buy into hype and talking points. They are the group that considers themselves the free thinkers but they are the most led by advertising and brands.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre