Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ripoff contra vision. 3rd faction. a simple thought.

etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Theres more than a few posts floating around saying Trion ripoff and trion sees it.

My thoughts are really: No mmo before introduced a 3rd faction pvp option in an already running game, and into an already 

existing world, so who really cares about gw2 ripoff or anything else, we are watcing mmo history being made, why not

embrace it and hope your favorite game can do the same? for me it says:

We can change a game, and will devote resources to it because the fans and game need it.

Just a thought.

Comments

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

For me it says:  We've already had to close down half our servers, and are looking for any way to keep the fan base we have left  with GW2 and TSW coming soon. So we'll just start regurgitating some ideas from past successful MMOs and hope they work. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

For me it says:  We've already had to close down half our servers, and are looking for any way to keep the fan base we have left  with GW2 and TSW coming soon. So we'll just start regurgitating some ideas from past successful MMOs and hope they work. 

I don't play Rift anymore but at least they are trying something instead of just stopping putting out anything and calling it quits.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

yes because the alternative is so much better right? Trion understands something that most mmo devs dont: adapt or die. Youd bash them harder if they just went into a denial bubble and started laying off a bunch of their team. PR spin and damage control is the name of the game when the going gets tough with mmos but these guys have the balls change with the times. They are being smart about it. They arent taking away (NGE), they are adding to their game.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I don't play Rift anymore but at least they are trying something instead of just stopping putting out anything and calling it quits.

^^ Agreed. It may not be a perfect system and it may be inspired by someone else, but who cares. It's different, new, and ambitious. 

Another thing that impressed me is how fast they were able to put this together, code, implement, and release this concept. I mean, let's compare that to SWTOR, War, AOC, etc who take absolutely forever to release even basic fixes. But this has always impressed me about Trion and is probably the biggest draw to their game.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Aren t you a Tera fan, If so I wouldn t talk. If not sorry.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

I thought most people here loved 3 faction pvp.... and now that Rift has it coming up....  They are in the wrong for adding it?  How much more bitter can gamers  get.... ashamed to call myself a gamer these days.

Originally posted by dwarfus

^^ Agreed. It may not be a perfect system and it may be inspired by someone else, but who cares. It's different, new, and ambitious. 

Another thing that impressed me is how fast they were able to put this together, code, implement, and release this concept. I mean, let's compare that to SWTOR, War, AOC, etc who take absolutely forever to release even basic fixes. But this has always impressed me about Trion and is probably the biggest draw to their game.

yea I played for about 9 months it was impressive to see each big patch come out with the new world event and new features so fast.. to bad for me I got sick of the gear treadmill endgame and I'm not huge into raiding so thats really only reason I stopped playing.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by dwarfus
    Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by RebelScum99 For me it says:  We've already had to close down half our servers, and are looking for any way to keep the fan base we have left  with GW2 and TSW coming soon. So we'll just start regurgitating some ideas from past successful MMOs and hope they work. 

Exactly. This is what keeps Rift on my radar. These guys add major stuff to their game on a fairly regular basis. Seems like every other month we are hearing about some new game system or area or features being added. I would not be surprised to see Trion add dodge mechanics to their combat, make more dynamic rift events, even add player housing within a year.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

What exactly did GW2 take exactly? All 2 of the pvp servers that were left? Oh boy stop the presses. The game took more of a hit from Diablo 3 then a mmorpg without any actual pve end game worth talking about. GW2 will hit WoW harder then it ever hopes to touch Rift.

Shit if anything a few days into it they will be crying for a "public group" button to press to auto form raids.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

But are they trying something for the right reasons?

I don't see a whole lot of people that were calling for 3 faction PvP in Rift.  I saw a LOT of people that want meaningful open world PvP.  Do that instead, with the real 2 factions in a real open world environment.  Build on what you have already.

They are adding Pokemon pet catching.  Why?  What is the reason?  This isnt a heavily requested feature.  Why not take that time and improve fishing/survival, or improve the other tradeskills.  Build on what you have already.

Rift seems to be gunning for some frankenstein of an MMO...a bit from GW2, a bit from MoP...whats next, coming soon to Telara: two new races...a creepy scantily clad preteen and a slut demon?  Frankensteining doesnt work, not with trion's resources anyway (I would LOVE to see what they could do with WoW style profits).

Way back last september Rift released one of its two crowning achievements, Hammerknell.  While its difficulty is severely blown out of proportion, it was a wonderful raid instance.  As well done as anything WoW has put out in years besides Ulduar, it signaled that perhaps Rift had something it excelled at:  20 man raiding.  Instead of building on that momentum they waited 9 months for the next raid.  By the time ID released that momentum was lost.

And its not just ID, its the name of the game itself:  Rift.  Why not work to make a more dynamic environment?  Do more with  Rifts and invasions.  Every once in a while make one so powerful that it almost definitely WILL take over one of the level 50 zones and make people have to fight to take it back.  Build on what you have already.

Its frustrating because Rift should be the best game out there.   But any vision Trion had seems long gone.

And it seems more often than in the past that they don't get it.  People want more than just 3 team battlegrounds, they want DAoC style RvRvR.  What Rift is offering is nowhere near that.

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189

I admire developers who are not afraid to change the existing game into better product for the best of it. Final Fantasy XIV does the same with a complete revamp of the game, the contents, graphic engine,  and user interface just because the game need it to stay alive. Unlike some that decided to just dump the bad product down the drain and call it a day, then begin to work on sequel.

Ref: http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_Outline_EN.pdf

Originally posted by DannyGlover

make more dynamic rift events, even add player housing within a year.

This is exactly what people have wanted since day 1.

This is the stuff that would keep people from GW2 and MoP.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

That's how you see it because you're not one of the many who requested these features to be in Rift.

Originality be damned, this is what their playerbase wants and it's good to know they're listening to them instead of constantly in denial of their subscription status.

Originally posted by KhinRunite

That's how you see it because you're not one of the many who requested these features to be in Rift.

Originality be damned, this is what their playerbase wants and it's good to know they're listening to them instead of constantly in denial of their subscription status.

No, it isnt.  Meaningful open world PvP has been the top request from the PvPers (well besides 'nerf the souls Im not playing and buff me.'  This is not meaningful open world PvP.   This is neither meaningful (it doesnt even happen on real-Telara, it happens on Bizzaro-Telara) nor open world (its an instanced battleground).

Someone that just started playing two days shouldnt really be commenting on what the player base wants.

• CericXCericX Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by teakbois

No, it isnt.  Meaningful open world PvP has been the top request from the PvPers (well besides 'nerf the souls Im not playing and buff me.'  This is not meaningful open world PvP.   This is neither meaningful (it doesnt even happen on real-Telara, it happens on Bizzaro-Telara) nor open world (its an instanced battleground).

Someone that just started playing two days shouldnt really be commenting on what the player base wants.

No one can actually say what "meaningful open world PvP" is. Every person thinks of it differently. Fail concept is fail. PvP servers turn into people unwilling to leave the towns without a pack of players with them because they get tired of being jumped by 3 stealth rogues who just dissappear if help arrives.

As for saying someone that just started playing shouldn't post...someone who has nothing but nasty things to say shouldn't post. Evidently you abhor everything about Rift...and keep posting about it for months now.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by Puremallace
    Originally posted by RebelScum99 For me it says:  We've already had to close down half our servers, and are looking for any way to keep the fan base we have left  with GW2 and TSW coming soon. So we'll just start regurgitating some ideas from past successful MMOs and hope they work. 
    What exactly did GW2 take exactly? All 2 of the pvp servers that were left? Oh boy stop the presses. The game took more of a hit from Diablo 3 then a mmorpg without any actual pve end game worth talking about. GW2 will hit WoW harder then it ever hopes to touch Rift.

Shit if anything a few days into it they will be crying for a "public group" button to press to auto form raids.

In GW2? You don't need to push any button to join any group. That's the beauty of it, see if there's an event going on and you take part in it, you automatically become part of the group. You won't see a group or raid window, you'll just be part of the group, and you are rewarded with XP and sometimes even items. The great thing is you don't roll against other people, everyone gets an item.

As for Trion, I didn't buy the game. I did play to 20 on the trial version, but didn't feel like there was enough there to hold my interest. I do commend them on keeping up with the industry trend. They see what other companies are doing and they adapt because oh no, they don't want to lose customers? Oh the horror! Good for them, at least they listen and pay attention. SWTOR, lol at their devs "we know how to make games and you don't so piss off." That did them a lot of good.

• mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241

Rift is probably the best Themepark MMO i've tried.

Trion does a good job at keeping a steady game updated.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342
    Originally posted by CericX

No one can actually say what "meaningful open world PvP" is. Every person thinks of it differently. Fail concept is fail. PvP servers turn into people unwilling to leave the towns without a pack of players with them because they get tired of being jumped by 3 stealth rogues who just dissappear if help arrives.

As for saying someone that just started playing shouldn't post...someone who has nothing but nasty things to say shouldn't post. Evidently you abhor everything about Rift...and keep posting about it for months now.

this, and a whole full zone with a plethora of objectives to capture seems fairly open world pvp to me, but what do i know /shrug

No, I have every right to post and will continue to do so.  Sorry if you dont like people telling it like it is.  And yes, someone who has only been part of the Rift community for 2 days should *not* post about what they have wanted, because its misleading.  Some people might actually believe it.

If you notice my negative criticisms are responses to either ridiculously overdone praise (Trion is the fastest at putting out content ever!!!!) or legitimate criticisms of a game that should have been great but has has gone downhill, especially since EI (which i have praised numerous times).

I just cant sit here and read people saying rubbish like 'they are doing this because their players asked for it', because they didn't.

And people may disagree on what open world PvP is, but few would say an instanced battleground is open world PvP.  Conquest is an instanced battleground.  I know because I have actually tested it.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

No, I have every right to post and will continue to do so.  Sorry if you dont like people telling it like it is.  And yes, someone who has only been part of the Rift community for 2 days should *not* post about what they have wanted, because its misleading.  Some people might actually believe it.

If you notice my negative criticisms are responses to either ridiculously overdone praise (Trion is the fastest at putting out content ever!!!!) or legitimate criticisms of a game that should have been great but has has gone downhill, especially since EI (which i have praised numerous times).

I just cant sit here and read people saying rubbish like 'they are doing this because their players asked for it', because they didn't.

And people may disagree on what open world PvP is, but few would say an instanced battleground is open world PvP.  Conquest is an instanced battleground.  I know because I have actually tested it.

Haters got to hate.  So basically you feel the need to come out and drag a game through the mud because you, the great god of all, do not like it.  Grow up.  Telling people they can not post is childish.  You are not the savior of the boards from Trion.  Some people need to grow up when it comes to game and realize that a lot of people like games they do not.  These niche people that want a specific game that only 200 people will play need to stop playing games and realize that no one wants their crappy games. 

How do you know what the players want.  Have you read every email, seen every meeting, and talked to every player.  Get real. 

Sorry your life got ruined by a game.  Why not stay away from the forum and let other people find out if they like the game or not and stop trying to punish a company for making a game you did not like. 

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

What are you crazy?  Your passing up a perfectly good opportunity to trash a game your not playing anymore, come on jump on the bandwagon.  Aero is already on board.

I havent played Rift in a long time but I'm glad to see any developer working on improvng their game.   Its so funny to listen to people talk about whos copying who, the entire evolution of everything ever created and or maintained in this world is sparked from what has come before.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Not playing Rift but I want to give Trion credit for trying to introduce some relatively big changes to the game (they have been pretty good in introducing other content additions so far afaik). Having said that, this addition does feel a little artificial. Somebody said somewhere that they should have introduced a real 3rd faction into the game. Now, this would have been a huge undertaking but would have been a more natural way.

And to anybody mocking Trion about this being a business based reaction to GW2, TSW and whatever coming around the corner I say "Duh!". Everything with these games is a decision based on return on investment decisions and predictions of how much money is coming your way in the future. This is no exception.

Originally posted by Ausare

Haters got to hate.  So basically you feel the need to come out and drag a game through the mud because you, the great god of all, do not like it.  Grow up.  Telling people they can not post is childish.  You are not the savior of the boards from Trion.  Some people need to grow up when it comes to game and realize that a lot of people like games they do not.  These niche people that want a specific game that only 200 people will play need to stop playing games and realize that no one wants their crappy games. 

How do you know what the players want.  Have you read every email, seen every meeting, and talked to every player.  Get real. 

Sorry your life got ruined by a game.  Why not stay away from the forum and let other people find out if they like the game or not and stop trying to punish a company for making a game you did not like. 

Instead of ironically calling me childish, why not go look at page 2, post 1 and discuss that.  Is that the post a 'hater' would make?  Instead of lashing out in anger, make counter points to my points.

Originally posted by snapfusion

What are you crazy?  Your passing up a perfectly good opportunity to trash a game your not playing anymore, come on jump on the bandwagon.  Aero is already on board.

I havent played Rift in a long time but I'm glad to see any developer working on improvng their game.   Its so funny to listen to people talk about whos copying who, the entire evolution of everything ever created and or maintained in this world is sparked from what has come before.

I'm already on board with what?