Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Beta Events or lack there of a sign of anything?

2»

Comments

• WmjohnWmjohn Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Wmjohn

We recently finished our first closed beta test, and we’re now ready to hold progressively larger events. In February we’ll invite select press to participate in beta testing, and in March and April we’ll aggressively ramp up the size of our beta test events so that many of you will have a chance to participate. And of course, this all leads to the release of Guild Wars 2 later this year.~Mike O'Brian

OK this satement was made in Late Januarty from this blog http://www.arena.net/blog/dragon

Do you think they have "ramped up beta events for  March and Apil? No we can all se if anything they have come to a screeching hault...what does this mean about the developement of the game and it's state? Did we pre-purchase too soon?

"We" pre-purchased an unfinished product knowing it was an unfinished product. "We" knew there was no release date yet set or at least announced. "We" knew there was more work to be done.

What it says is this........ they have gotten a lot of data and feedback and that want to use that data and feedback to improve the game.

As far as pre-purchasing to early.......... when is it not to early to PRE-purchase an unfinished game?

The very idea of pre-purchasing is purchasing before it's ready to be purchased............

I guess I'm just not understanding what you are trying to ask.

Where did you read on the site you pre-purchased  that you were getting an UNFINISHED pruduct? I can not find those words anywhere and I have looked over and over again. I know you are going to say it is a common understanding....OK good answer but, not good enough for most people.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Anet is taking the CORRECT old school approach to beta testing.

A closed group of people who know what the eff they are doing are continually testing the game while the lesser group gets to come in for a mass test to flesh out the other things that require a large sample size.

One of the worst ideas in MMORPG history was the idea of open betas to people who are not actual software testers...so many games ruined by it...so many...it is what led directly to companies not listening to their testers at all taking all power to sway a games development away from its target players.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

As is the statement by the President that March and April Betas would be "ramped up so that MANY of you will get to participate"....is an out right falsity at this time...sorry you seem to have your rose colored glasses on and can not see that.

• EnterTheWombatEnterTheWombat Member UncommonPosts: 112

Where did you read on the site you pre-purchased  that you were getting an UNFINISHED pruduct? I can not find those words anywhere and I have looked over and over again. I know you are going to say it is a common understanding....OK good answer but, not good enough for most people.

It's a beta test.  Why wouldn't you assume a BETA test is a test of an UNFINISHED product?  You claim to not be trolling and to be a fan but your posts so far and your conspicuous join date say otherwise.

absolutel NOT ONE person that signed up for beta testing that did not purchase in full participated in the First and only BWE's open ot the public so to say many have participated in ramped up beta events for the MONTHs of March and April is not true and Noone has participated in a Beta Weekend event for the MONTH of May period nor will they hardly ramped UP.

• EnterTheWombatEnterTheWombat Member UncommonPosts: 112

absolutel NOT ONE person that signed up for beta testing that did not purchase in full participated in the First and only BWE's open ot the public so to say many have participated in ramped up beta events for the MONTHs of March and April is not true and Noone has participated in a Beta Weekend event for the MONTH of May period nor will they hardly ramped UP.

So more people were in the BWE than in previous closed beta tests? Yes? Ok so they ramped up the SIZE of the beta. They also announced they were behind in hardware improvements so a May test was out. They promised pre purchasers access to every Beta event going forward. They never PROMISED how many there would be. It just sounds now like you are just here pitching a big ole hissy fit. 

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

/facepalm

When the "ramp up" announcement was made the notion of BWE didn't even exist. That statement is clearly directed at beta in general which has indeed ramped up considerably, going from a few servers less than once a month to dozens of servers at a much higher frequency.

Your whole premise is flawed.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Expect a Christmas Holliday release date. :/ If it releases before then its awesome!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

I again hate that I have to defend myself for a legitimate stance on something that is so obviouse...I mean I am invested in the game almost 200.00....I am not trying to make any negative statement here would the trolls please stop the flaming on a topic I created for adult mature conversation please?? TY.

There is nothing adult or mature about the way you have conducted yourself, the way you have made your argument, or the way you have reacted to people who have a differing opinion. What is obvious here is you aren't looking for discussion, you are looking for people to join you in rage and rebel with you because you didn't get a beta event whenever you wanted one. Perhaps you should take being so alone in this crusade as an indicator that you might be wrong and your stance isnt as legitimate as you first thought.

You seem really really hung up on language they used, that using their words about ramping up you were 'deceived' and lied to because it didn't conform to your rigid definition.  Well your thread title says there was a lack of GW2 Beta Events. I've been in 2 and only preordered a month ago, seems like quite a bit to me. I feel you have decieved and lied to me by saying there was a lack of them.  If you want to hold others accountable for it, I don't see why you should get a free ride.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

They said they were ramping up their closed beta tests. It specifically says that in the quote that YOU posted. The BWE's, the events that people who pre-purchased get into, didn't start until the end of April. That the quote you posted, once again, specifically states April and March, means they were likely talking about the "Open" Closed/Press Beta events, which had been ongoing since Febuary, which had nothing to do with BWE's for pre-purchases. They'd also said prior that those events, the ones going from Febuary onward, would be ramped up as compared to those that happened last year, which were smaller tests meant for a closed, specially selected few. Meaning, you couldn't sign up for them.

You're getting your mix all talked up, dude.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by Exterminos

i don't think they gave their word in the first place funny how in our culture where honor* is almost laughed at people dust off concepts like giving your word only to stir up needless controversy, that requires the splitting of hairs to what ramping up exactly means in the first place.

* not saying honor doesn't exist anymore it means a great deal to many people just saying its frequently mocked ....

That is the whole feeling I get is that people just do not have to honor their words  or what the say anymore becuase" well this came up or that came up" and no one holds any accontability anymore...especially in this genre. I was issued a warning for making this blog ...........a prime example of how you can not speak your mind anymore about anything....it is turning into a very Communitic feeling society and makes me really worried about the future of our nation when everything is so censored and moderated these days. I came here from Russia about 10 years ago to escape this sort of censorship and internet monitoring and it is really sad to see it is worse here then in Russia.

It has nothing to do with censorship, you're clearly misreading. It's evident in every argument you've made. Stop blaming others for your shortcomings.

People aren't disagreeing with you to be mean, or censor you, they're arguing with you because you're wrong, as ecvidenced by the text you yourself posted.There's no room for debate. They say that they would ramp up the number of people in the test, not the amount of tests. You failing to grasp that is no ones fault but yours.

Considering english is apparently your second language, relax, take a few breaths and read it again.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by Ezhae

First - they never promised a BWE every month. They always said they aim for that, but it may be longer or shorter time in between the events depending on feedback. Even long months before pre purchase became a thing, they always said that their schedule is built around feedback and everything depends on how ready they feel they are with the game. 

Second - They said they are setting up new hardware. Would you rather have the repeat of first hours of first BWE? Where loads of people couldn't connect at all for hours and servers were going up and down all the time? Don't think so. Be patient. It's a beta, an actual beta, where things get tested, things go wrong and things are fixed. 

Third - reading comprehension " March and April we’ll aggressively ramp up the size " - means that they increase the size of beta events. From friends&family, to press and lucky invites from pool to all pre-purchase. If you don't consider increasing the size from ~100, thorugh ~500-1k to ~100k agressive ramp up in size then I don't know what you expect. 

I like how you cut the parts you wanted out of the original text...the sentecne goes on to say to include the PUBLIC into the world for the first time.......so do not twist the words to fit your arguement.

And they did. Everyone who pre purchased or got picked from the beta sign-ups pool is PUBLIC. It does not mean they popen the flood gates for EVERYONE. They never promised fully open beta test. They did exactly what they said, and it's not their fault people read more into things. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

We recently finished our first closed beta test, and we’re now ready to hold progressively larger events. In February we’ll invite select press to participate in beta testing, and in March and April we’ll aggressively ramp up the size of our beta test events so that many of you will have a chance to participate. And of course, this all leads to the release of Guild Wars 2 later this year.~Mike O'Brian

OK this satement was made in Late Januarty from this blog http://www.arena.net/blog/dragon

Do you think they have "ramped up beta events for  March and Apil? No we can all se if anything they have come to a screeching hault...what does this mean about the developement of the game and it's state? Did we pre-purchase too soon?

"We" pre-purchased an unfinished product knowing it was an unfinished product. "We" knew there was no release date yet set or at least announced. "We" knew there was more work to be done.

What it says is this........ they have gotten a lot of data and feedback and that want to use that data and feedback to improve the game.

As far as pre-purchasing to early.......... when is it not to early to PRE-purchase an unfinished game?

The very idea of pre-purchasing is purchasing before it's ready to be purchased............

Ahh you could not find one word saying you were pre-purchasing an unfinished product?

So Pre-Purchase and Beta didn't give you some clue that it wasn't a finished product yet?

If you thought the game was launch ready then I don't think any answer would be good enough for you lol...........

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

It is indeed a sign for something.

A sign that they take their time to make use of the collected data from bwe and stress testing, rather than using these tests just for PR.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Dude, do you know what a beta is?

It is more than just a common understanding that a beta is a not 100% ready game, it is a fact.

Ready games are released already. Soon you want warning labels on mineral water bottles stating that water can cause drowning.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I would think closed beta is going nice and strong..  tho i must admit i have uninstalled the game so im not sure LOL

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

You are assuming that the pre-purchase open beta weekends are the only beta testing they are doing. Those are controlled publicity events, there are other players testing the high end and as yet unreleased content.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

I always prefer to discuss real facts (has a lot advantages):

1. The game is still in beta - that means, it is not ready yet.
    2. When a game is in beta, a lot of inconvinient things can happen.
    3. There is still no fixed release-date.
    4. We life in a free world, where nobody is forced to preorder games.
    5. Preordering GW2 gives players a typical list of benefits, that also includes participating in the beta.

ArenaNet is only expected to do one thing: deliver a good game - nothing else.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

for all you know there could be another 3 BWE.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Well let's see, you pre-purchased the product.  What do you think that prefix refers to?  If it were finished, you would have simply purchased it.  You're either being willfully obtuse or you're just incapable of comprehending simple english.  I'm betting on the former though.  That's generally the origin of weak, irrational attacks like this one.