Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Conquest - Open World, Three Faction PvP

Comments

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by BartDaCat

TRION seems like a great company, but their direction seems misguided.  I don't get a strong sense of focus or direction in the decisions they make or the content they implement.  The core features; the solid programming, the soul system, the art direction, and the dimensional rifts are probably the strongest things they have going for them, everything else seems half-assed, with the exception of their later raid content, but let's face it, Greenscale seemed half-assed as well.  One large cavern with an ever-changing hedge maze?  Really?  River of Souls wasn't anything to really flip over either.  Hammerknell was the first really impressive raid instance for RIFT, but prior to that it seemed somewhat... well, half-assed.

This ridiculous "totally pulled this idea out of my ass" three-faction PvP idea seems like one of those half-assed schemes, and it definitely was the last place I expected to see TRION go with RIFT, at least in its current incarnation.

Trion has always developed with knee jerk reactions, all of their balancing decisions in my near year with the game were knee jerk.  For example: I think around patch 1.2 or 1.3, Mages were really really strong, I mean really strong, but the mass cry in the forums were that Mages were horrible.  What did Trion do?  Gave Mages a blanket buff of like 10-15% damage across the board, and man did it get bad after that haha. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Let's be honest, its a GW2 rip-off. Yes, DAoC did it first, but few people give a damn about that game anymore; the features of a game are irrelevant if no one's playing it. But, that's Rift is looking at GW2 is NOT a bad thing, either. I don't happen to care about games sharing ideas provided they don't clone each other, and GW2 and Rift are both vastly different games. The idea of 3 faction PvP is an abstract design decision that enhances nearly any playstyle without changing the target audience, unlike changing something like combat mechanics or the path from 1 to cap. 

In other words, it's perfectly acceptable that, wherever the idea came from, Rift realized its potential and found a way to incorporate it into their own game. Its a good idea, and one many games could benefit from, I see no reason why more games shouldn't do it. I also don't see a reason to knock them for it. Frankly I'm still hoping Aion will add a playable version of the Balaur for a third faction, as well.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Scypheroth

man i cant wait for GW2 to lauch and fail...sick n tired of ppl talking abotu it like its the next comming of jesus! ITS A FREAKING GAME! and not even a very good one

again a hater saying guild wars 2 is the next coming...i only ever hear the haters describe it like that. the rest of us are looking forward to playing a good game.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Well Anet better release GW2 soon before Trion takes all their ideas and launches them first. Then ppl will call GW2 a Rift clone lol

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• OblivvionOblivvion Member Posts: 5

Rip off, blantantly, plain and simple.  Last stabs to keep subscribers.  I'm not going to play GW2 after betaing, and I'm not going back to Rift either. It reeks of desperation.

Now if only SWTOR would come up with a good original idea, too.  Unfortunately they've followed the same formulas as every other MMO, only with more of a vocal story telling element.  

Snore.  

MMO companies: give me something to PLAY with that's new and original please.  GW2 comes close but not enough to make me want to continue playing for very long.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I can see the new RIFT trailer advertised on a website,

and at the end they say "We're not in Tyria anymore"?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Glorified battlegrounds with no impact on the greater game as a whole so pretty useless really.  3 faction PvP needs to be designed into a game from the ground up not tacked on with sticky tape afterwards.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Anyone who thinks this idea isn't borrowing from/inspired by/ripping off GW2, which has in turn borrowed from/been inspired by/ripped off DaoC, is simply in denial.  But this is a good thing because it is a good idea.  On the contrary, it would be awful if when game companies look at their competitors and see awesome new features that have been developed, they just throw in the towel and say, "oh darn, they did it first."  When good features are invented, many MMOs would do well to adopt them.  

That certainly isn't to say that every good feature would work well in every MMO; and concerns that this particular feature may not be suitable for Rift are valid.  But the principle of games incorporating other games' good features is generally a sound one. 

• niqpereniqpere Member Posts: 14

I play Rift and i will say i think Trion is one if not the best gaming company in the world . The 3 faction thing is really not enough without them making changes to the pvp system that really needs to be updated but overall compared to other games out Rift truly does have a a team . I hope the Trion team makes many more games they do good work also good luck with the 3 faction hopefully its a big hit . 

• cuad1780cuad1780 Member Posts: 54

i don't understand what the problem with this idea is. it's an alternate dimension, it looks as if it's just the other factions(like the different rift forces) are battling in order to gain control of the land(which is what they do in the telara people play in now). rather than changing the entire game, trion decided to add a non-essential pvp feature that if you don't agree with, you don't have to play, in which you play one of the factions. it looks as if it's mainly just catered to be a fun "event" type thing and for pvpers. i'm seeing posts of "you should have added a third faction in the first place" but yeah, that's not what this is.

if you don't like the feature, don't use it? i mean yeah they could balance things more or something, idk how the game is the last few months, but they decided to just add a fun looking thing that allows OW PvP, i remember when i played the game, you didn't really see groups of defiants vs groups of guardians.. the lore might be thin here but pvp lore doesn't really include too much. just look at different games' battlegrounds, they each have a small story but it's not like this in depth explanation, but if you use your brain/imagination you can figure out why that fight is taking place

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by cuad1780

but they decided to just add a fun looking thing that allows OW PvP

It is ***NOT*** open world PvP.  It doesnt even take place in the world.  It is a BATTLEGROUND.  This is the issue.  rift players (for the most part) asked for meaningful open world PvP.  Not this.  Will some like it?  Sure.  Will it draw new players in or stop people from leaving for gw2?  Very unlikely.  Could they have better allocated their resources to improve the actual definat vs guardian PvP that the game is based on?  Most likely.

I just cant believe people are actually getting fooled by the marketing into thinking this is open world.  Its no more open world than Altrac Valley.  

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

sounds funky fresh

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Meridian 59 did it right, all that followed was carebear..

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

I have never played Rift but I am tempted to pick it up cheap if they are going to add some decent PvP to the game.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by adam_nox

This goes against the game's lore and what they originally planned so much that it's laughable that they try to BS us into thinking they wanted to ever do this.  Truth is they are desperate.

What they could have done is just introduce a third faction, and world pvp, without creating 'instances' where you assume a different role.  It sucks for immersion, both due to changing your identity and for leaving the regular gameworld for a fake one.

Yeah, upon reading how they resolve introducing a 3rd faction into a 2 faction game, how it requires going into an "alternate dimension", where suddenly there's this 3rd faction and all these different things going on... the only thing I could think was "tacked on".

Funny how  "alternate dimensions" is the go-to "solution" when devs want to add something to their game that's tacked on and really doesn't fit into the original setting. Alternate Dimensions, the answer to everything!

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

So wait, the guy with the crazy prediction posted in the forums several weeks ago based on a weird cryptic message of some sort was right?

I don't even know how to understand this. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

Rift was a generic game from day 1......They're just doing whatever it takes to get as many customers as possible...... They dont care if they directly rip off WoW, Warhammer, DAoC, GW2,or whomever, its whatever will bring in customers that counts.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Good on Trion for this- it's something that PvPers have been asking for and Trion delivers. Seems like this will be a better fit for those PvPers that prefer traditional MMO combat and gear grinds/time spent in game to be more meaningful than twitch skill. I don't see why people are getting so anally pained. Some people like twitch combat, some people want a battle of stats.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

Wow.  Only Trion would bust their rears enough to actually come up with a way to get 3 faction PVP out of a 2 faction setup.  Damn, I have some serious respect for those guys.  I will have to resub once this goes live and check it out.  I just love the high quality of Rift.  I just need some more interesting PVP options and this could be it.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by pierth

Good on Trion for this- it's something that PvPers have been asking for and Trion delivers. Seems like this will be a better fit for those PvPers that prefer traditional MMO combat and gear grinds/time spent in game to be more meaningful than twitch skill. I don't see why people are getting so anally pained. Some people like twitch combat, some people want a battle of stats.

Regardless of putting in a 3-faction system RIFT itself doesn't lend itself to the audience you're talking about. TRION is only trying to improve the quality of their PVP in their product for their existing customers.

Good on them for that. RIFT still doesn't interest my clan though :).

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

So since this feature will be out longggggggggg before GW2 has any hope of launching can we call GW2 a Rift clone?

• Looks ver good
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Trion Worlds and the Rift team introduced a brand new way of playing the game today: Conquest! These bad boys are talking about open world, cross server, three faction PvP mayhem. See what we discovered about Rift's new Conquer system and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Open world three faction PvP has been something that many on the Rift team have wanted to see brought into the game since it launched. The Rift fans had a hand in all of this too. The team actively listened to the requests of the player base for exactly the type of PvP mayhem that Conquest brings to Rift. All in all, it’s a win-win situation for everyone concerned.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Rift: Conquest - Open World, Three Faction PvP.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    Originally posted by pierth

Regardless of putting in a 3-faction system RIFT itself doesn't lend itself to the audience you're talking about. TRION is only trying to improve the quality of their PVP in their product for their existing customers.

Good on them for that. RIFT still doesn't interest my clan though :).

It does lend itself to that audience though. Rift's PvP is all about macros and stats whereas GW2 will be more twitchy and won't revolve around an endgame gear grind. For those that want the former and a three faction setup for instanced PvP, Trion delivers.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

in order to compete with the best games coming soon with 3 faction pvp, this was a must for Rift. I dont play Rift anymore but this is good news for PvPers