Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Idea: Traits switching with weapons during combat

Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

So I was thinking, we've got weapon switching to change your role during combat, to adapt to certain situations. The problem with this is, that your traits setup remains the same, making your second weapon set less effective, and because of that it encourages players to use only 1 weapon set.

For example:

I use Warrior with Greatsword, and have my traits are setup to be best suited for Greatsword, like +5% dmg while using great sword, or 20% cooldown reduction on greatsword skills (this is just an example not real traits). And then I decide during combat that it might be a good idea to switch to a ranged weapon, Rifle, to shot down fleeing opponents or hard to get to enemies. However, since my traits setup remained the same (dmg for greatsword etc), my Rifle will be at its minimum potential.

My suggestion is that Arenanet allows us to have 2 traits setups at the same time tied to a particular weapon set. When I use Weapon Set 1, my trats setup 1 will be activated. When I hit switch weapon button, I will switch to Weapon set 2 and also switch to traits setup 2.

This will allow for more flexible builds, it will reward those who switch weapons during battle (because this is one of the best things about Gw2 combat, changing your build on the fly, adapting to various situations), provide more room for experimentation, and making builds (skill system) more deep, since a build will not just be a weapon set and one trait setup, but two at the same time.

What do you think about it?

PS. Since elementalist don't have weapon switching, but attunements. Traits setup could be tied to an attunement.

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

You have enough points by 80 to be "maxed out" in enough trait lines to maximize use of 2 weapons sets or attunements/kits anyways.

I found in my play time that because of the weapon switching you will choose 2 sets anyways based on your play style and then it makes perfect sense to maximize the use of those sets via traits.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by BadSpock

You have enough points by 80 to be "maxed out" in enough trait lines to maximize use of 2 weapons sets or attunements/kits anyways.

I found in my play time that because of the weapon switching you will choose 2 sets anyways based on your play style and then it makes perfect sense to maximize the use of those sets via traits.

Fair enough, but what about low-mid levels? I played elementalist for example, and used my traits for maximize potential for my fire spells. But, some situations required me to play more defensively using earth magic. Since all my traits were set for fire, they were useless for me while using earth.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I believe that at some point in GW2's alpha, this is how traits worked.  But they redid the trait system and got rid of having specific trait sets for specific weapons.

Honestly, I'm really not sure if this would work or not.  I like the idea of having a more flexible character, but I would have to play the game at high level to come to any judgment.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

As some of us heard rumors that Arenanet plans to restrict traits even further by not allowing use of all traits on certain levels, this makes even more sense. For example, you can use only 4 out of 12 posible traits if you trait line lvl is 10. If you wish all 12 traits at your disposal you need to max out that line. This severly limits builds.

Only problem I see with my suggestion are balansing issues maybe...

Originally posted by thedarkess

Fair enough, but what about low-mid levels? I played elementalist for example, and used my traits for maximize potential for my fire spells. But, some situations required me to play more defensively using earth magic. Since all my traits were set for fire, they were useless for me while using earth.

Sounds like leveling up in a MMORPG to me!

Working as intended (TM)

Working as intended (TM)

This sounds like every other mmo leveling. But this is GW2, that has completely new combat system, where dynamic role switching is very important to achieve victory. Why not making us be 100% effective in at least 2 roles (builds) at a time.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

switching traits would be too complex, you would be playing a new character every switch essentially and where the gear is not stat oriented the traits are so switching mid fight could drastically changed you hit point for example.  That could be a good and  a bad thing but mostly I just see it as stress on the client that will make it crash.   However I like the idea of having multiple spec I can switch too, out of combat of course.

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

Working as intended (TM)

This sounds like every other mmo leveling. But this is GW2, that has completely new combat system, where dynamic role switching is very important to achieve victory. Why not making us be 100% effective in at least 2 roles (builds) at a time.

You are!

Each trait line is 30, you get what, 70 points?

2 maxed out and one at 1/3rd is easily enough to be 100% effective in two weapon sets.

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120

I'm all for flexibility. The more the better. 

Working as intended (TM)

You are!

2 maxed out and one at 1/3rd is easily enough to be 100% effective in two weapon sets.

you are right.. I guess I just wanted the same in mid level phase, where I will have to choose one line to be 100% effective, because then I will have enough to max only one line depending on my level.

You are!

you are right.. I guess I just wanted the same in mid level phase, where I will have to choose one line to be 100% effective, because then I will have enough to max only one line depending on my level.

I bet if you keep the 2 lines even as you level you'll be close to 100% effective for your level range.

As in, you may only be 50% at each set, but if you use both regularly with skill you'll be just as effective as someone who uses 1 set 100% of the time.

That is of course till later levels when you have the points to max out both.

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120

Working as intended (TM)

You are!

So once you are maxed. you have 70 points. Can you get anymore? Is there a resprc system?

Originally posted by Chopsticks

You are!

So once you are maxed. you have 70 points. Can you get anymore? Is there a resprc system?

There is a respec system.

As far as I know, you can swap what traits you have "equipped" out of combat (as in the major traits you select when you reach 10/20/30 points in a line)

But to reset the actual points and re-distribute them you have to visit an NPC in town for a small fee.

No way to get any more, but there are lots of skill points available to seek out to buy new elite/healing/utility skills.

You start getting skill points once you reach level 11 I think and get 1 per level, but you'll have to seek out skill challenges and complete them to be able to buy every available skill for build making.

The trait points you also get 1 every level starting at 11 with a max of 70.

Chopstick, yes you can respec for a small fee at any time out of combat.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

As some of us heard rumors that Arenanet plans to restrict traits even further by not allowing use of all traits on certain levels, this makes even more sense. For example, you can use only 4 out of 12 posible traits if you trait line lvl is 10. If you wish all 12 traits at your disposal you need to max out that line. This severly limits builds.

Only problem I see with my suggestion are balansing issues maybe...

The rumors are based on this quote:

"Trait tiers are in"

...Not all that much to base all these rumors on...

I am more inclined to think that the trait tiers are the restriction of the later tiers until you reach the proper levels (meaning that they are working as intended now), as talked about before.  I am sure that something indicating major changes to what we already know would have been worded differently.

Enough of parsing text though.  It has already been said that GW2 use to have a weapon linked trait system.

The major reason this idea is a no go (for me) is that it goes against the idea of eing limited to a build.  If you could change how you were build just by changing your weapon, there wouldn't be the opportunity cost of taking one trait over another, of using one trait build over another, and this opportunity cost is important.  It is the real reason people like the limited skill bar in GW1/2.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I voted no, because you have only one build, and part of that build are 2 weapons (for 6 of the 8 classes) that works great for the game.. and by allowing traits switching from weapons, engineers and elementalists would be at a huge disadvantage.

Next to that it would make the game unnecessary complicated. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

i vote no, you have more than enough points to make a balanced use of weapons skills. if you put all points to maximize one weapon than you must loose something, in this case flexibility.

And because you can spend your points in more "general" trait lines that effect all weapon sets/attunements and/or focus on more secondary skills (like a Warrior focusing traits on Banners and Shouts instead of weapon skills) the game has ridiculous amount of customization and personalization for each and every class.

I'm not at all worried.

I remember one of the devs talking about a support based Warrior that was all about movement and buffing/debuffs with shouts/banners and such, sounded awesome and a great support character.

No mention of weapon skills, but probably something like warhorn offhand.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Traits are meant for endgame customization, not really something for 1 to 79. So you wont be able to maximize what you want to do till then, which is reasonable because traits work in hard with your gear. And you wont reach your full potential (stats and traits) till 80.

Added: traits are meant to compliment your playstyle. So your build should reflect the types of weapons you take into combat. Also even if you dont spec in your current weapon selection it doesn't really matter because traits only add a FAVOR to your build it doesn't make youo significantly weaker than somebody that specialize in that weapon.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I voted yes but only if the proposed Trait limitiations go in effect.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

A very Loud NO from here.

it would be way to obvius to make a maxs dps setup with one weapon, and a pure defense setup with another weapon. Basicly it would lead to less varaity and more cookie cutter builds.

And even worse when countering in traits stats- wich i asume would have 2 different setup aswell with this suggestion.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

U can concentrate on traits on one weapon, butat's going to leave u with about 30 to 40 points u need to spend elsewhere. It's a real good idea to be somewhat capable in other roles. 

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204

i say No the traits are there to create you char play style not the type of weapons they use

i will use a warrior

a player thats likes to roll up do a lot of damage the roll out before they take a lot of damage  may put more points into Strength and Arms

or a player who wants to do some damage and take some damage may split ther point into Strength, Arms, and Defense

or a player who wants to do damage until the mob dies with out dieing may put more points into Defense and Tactics

and rember if you do not like the way yo have it setup you can go to the trainer NPC and get your points reset for a cost.

now i whould like a way to save you traits setup so you can load a new one after you get a reset.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Creslin321

I believe that at some point in GW2's alpha, this is how traits worked.  But they redid the trait system and got rid of having specific trait sets for specific weapons.

Honestly, I'm really not sure if this would work or not.  I like the idea of having a more flexible character, but I would have to play the game at high level to come to any judgment.

This is correct. I also remember seeing info on the old trait system and actually every single weapon had it's own traits associated with it. This allowed you to improve certain weapon sets with specific traits, but it also made you less versatile, since trait points in weapons you weren't currently wielding were wasted.

There are some traits that are weapon specific, which does limit your versatility a bit, but they are the exception, rather than the rule. Also, you can still change Major Traits when out of combat, so you do have flexibility in trait choice if your weapon load out changes in the field. You can't reset your trait point allocation with out seeing a trainer, but you can still change the traits you have selected for each trait line. (This better not change. I already dislike the trait point semi-permanence).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I don't know, do you HAVE to specialize in both sets?

I wanted to run a rifle warrior and mostly specialize in the rifle.