Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Conquest - Open World, Three Faction PvP

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds and the Rift team introduced a brand new way of playing the game today: Conquest! These bad boys are talking about open world, cross server, three faction PvP mayhem. See what we discovered about Rift's new Conquer system and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Open world three faction PvP has been something that many on the Rift team have wanted to see brought into the game since it launched. The Rift fans had a hand in all of this too. The team actively listened to the requests of the player base for exactly the type of PvP mayhem that Conquest brings to Rift. All in all, it’s a win-win situation for everyone concerned.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Rift: Conquest - Open World, Three Faction PvP.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I dont play this game but its one that I really respect. This sounds very intresting.

• CallessonCallesson Member Posts: 5

Amazing addition to an amazing game.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

It sounds like a GW2 ripoff, or more preceisely a DAoC ripoff. Not that this is a bad thing, but they should have designed the game with 3 factions from the start. Or planned the 3 server conflicts from the start, like GW2.

It looks like an attempt to keep hold of players they know are planning on leaving as soon as GW2 releases by trying to provide them with a similar W v W v W setup in Rift. Can't blame them for trying.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

This goes against the game's lore and what they originally planned so much that it's laughable that they try to BS us into thinking they wanted to ever do this.  Truth is they are desperate.

What they could have done is just introduce a third faction, and world pvp, without creating 'instances' where you assume a different role.  It sucks for immersion, both due to changing your identity and for leaving the regular gameworld for a fake one.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Im excited for it.
  • Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

Would be better if it was just FFA no faction, but i guess they need to cater to the carebears too...Still not enough for me to go back but i do respect Trion more then any other gaming company

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

man i cant wait for GW2 to lauch and fail...sick n tired of ppl talking abotu it like its the next comming of jesus! ITS A FREAKING GAME! and not even a very good one

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

THose rewards aren't good enough.

They need to offer gear, legit OP armor sets and weapons that people could craft for other pvpers. They need cosmetics like dyes and costumes, mounts and pets. 

If you want 3 faction pvp to be busy 24/7 you offer great rewards that take a while to get.

All im seeing its some stupid 3% stat buff and essences that people will farm for in a week and never bother with the mechanic again.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Three faction PvP better than two.  Reworking established game to add third faction, not such a hot idea.  Not sure how many people realistically look in the face of a cool new addition and scream "OMG LORE RAP3Z!".  Same thing with DDO.  Forgotten Realms >>> Eberron.  Just forget the fact that cross realm hopping is completely lore compliant in D&D; and doesn't sound too far fetched for Telara either. 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

It sounds like a GW2 ripoff, or more preceisely a DAoC ripoff. Not that this is a bad thing, but they should have designed the game with 3 factions from the start. Or planned the 3 server conflicts from the start, like GW2.

It looks like an attempt to keep hold of players they know are planning on leaving as soon as GW2 releases by trying to provide them with a similar W v W v W setup in Rift. Can't blame them for trying.

I don't think it's a ripoff, inspiration, but certainly not a ripoff.  Did they get inspired after reading about GW2s, more than likely, but that's what i'm hoping for. More games to get inspired by GW2s diversion from the norm, taking a lot of different things and tossing them into the hat. IF there's one game i expect to do this its Rift.  

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Scypheroth

man i cant wait for GW2 to lauch and fail...sick n tired of ppl talking abotu it like its the next comming of jesus! ITS A FREAKING GAME! and not even a very good one

So much anger in this one , so much hate.  GW2 has already succeeded, especially if posts like this keep popping up. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by adam_nox

This goes against the game's lore and what they originally planned so much that it's laughable that they try to BS us into thinking they wanted to ever do this.  Truth is they are desperate.

What they could have done is just introduce a third faction, and world pvp, without creating 'instances' where you assume a different role.  It sucks for immersion, both due to changing your identity and for leaving the regular gameworld for a fake one.

Yeah it does scream "scrap the lore, do whatever it takes to keep the playerbase!"

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

The devlopers are not being true to the lore they originally set up in the game. They are caving to the PvP voices which want this but throw out the lore for the sake of a few players (a vocal minority).

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I really loved the original lore of the game and wish they wouldn't mess with it. There was a reason there was only 2 factions - Defiant vs. Guardians as they are juxtaposed (Technology vs, Magic). To mix them now for the sake of 3 way PvP flies in the face of the original lore.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by dontadow

I don't think it's a ripoff, inspiration, but certainly not a ripoff.  Did they get inspired after reading about GW2s, more than likely, but that's what i'm hoping for. More games to get inspired by GW2s diversion from the norm, taking a lot of different things and tossing them into the hat. IF there's one game i expect to do this its Rift.  

You're right, ripoff is a bit strong. But as I said it's not a bad thing. It's a shame they didn't include it in the original design though. I really don't blame them for including it now. It's the smart move.

The problem though is that, as many have pointed out, it flies in the face of the game lore. If it had been in from the start it would make sense. Now it looks almost desperate.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

So let me see Rift "ripped" this off from GW2 a game that hasnt shipped yet, but they also ripped this off from DAOC but GW2 didnt rip this off from DAOC?  Okay got it.

Or did you mean to say GW2 and Rift ripped this off from DAOC but since Rift has been out for a couple of years then they have ripped it off less that GW2 will have when it finally ships.

Or do you just have a problem with Rift since its not the game your currenly playing and feel the need to trash it?  Probably this.

Your post reaks of some sort of bizzare jealousy, love hate thing.  Maybe Rift (and every other game you dont play aneymore) to you is like some ex girl friend hangup,  The post was very strange but its pretty clear who your new love is, you know that game that ripped off both Rifts dynamic events and DAOC''s three faction server verse server system, and a class system very very simlar to Fallen Earth,  Oh, but in this case its "okay" because thats the game "you" want to play.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Does anyone put out content faster then these guys? Pretty cool.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Most players care nothing at all about lore. The players have been asking for this before the game launched. Gratz that trion is listening and trying to give them what they want.. I'm not a player but will definately check it out.....keep an open mind.

GW2 forums are that way------------------->

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

looks good..but will it make me play it..no..its still rift and altho the concept sounds fun im sure at the end of the day its still gonna end up as a "battle ground" type pvp

it looks like a lil like shadowbane / daoc ...but when i say that i say it with a grain of salt rift pvp is nuttin compared to them nor is anyone elses

a bit off topic but REALLY  ..what is gw2 doing that is soooooo diff and new...people rly need to do their homework before making such silly claims and holding it at the top of the mountian as this title isnt even out yet....you want real talk..gw2 is alot of more of the same..for all the reasons that people hate or dislike the mmos that just came out it could also be said about gw2...the only thing diff is that it says gw2 on the box

the only good i c coming from this is that i hope this opens the door more for **real open world  pvp** than this watered down version the mmos seem to be ploping into their games now...oh and still praying for Arche Age lol

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120

Trion Worlds has set the bar that all developers should be measured by. I might need to dust off my r8 mage ;)

Awesome stuff. It's not even an expansion! Once they do release an expansion. The sheer amount of quility content in this game that's less than two years old will be stagering.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

too late trion, would have been awesome if this was created soon after launch but now you guys just seem real desperate because GW2 is coming out soon.

and also its such a terrible decision that you can switch factions quickly. who thought this was a good idea? because no one is going to jump to the faction that is winning right?

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by Ecoces

too late trion, would have been awesome if this was created soon after launch but now you guys just seem real desperate because GW2 is coming out soon.

and also its such a terrible decision that you can switch factions quickly. who thought this was a good idea? because no one is going to jump to the faction that is winning right?

I don't see that anywhere. Did I miss that, or are you assuming?

• RaevanhawkRaevanhawk Member Posts: 86

Yeah honestly nice try but a pathetic attempt. This is not 3 Faction PvP. Three Faction PvP would be adding an entirely new group to the game to create true conflict.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by Chopsticks
    Originally posted by Ecoces

I don't see that anywhere. Did I miss that, or are you assuming?

I watched a fan video previewing it and they said you can switch factions instantly so no one is stuck in one faction. Also testers on the official forums were saying they need to get rid of quick faction switching since there was a lot of "bandwagon jumping" to the powerful team.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

You should post this on the Trion forums or send them an email. I don't think they will get your message. We get it, you have your nose in the GW2 buttocks and this anouncement is somehow a threat to that warm cozy spot.