Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turned off by Guild Wars as a hardcore mmo fan

Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Look, first of all for anyone who is thinking of buying Guild Wars, don't pay the full $50 retail price. There is a huge Ebay seller who simply sells the Keys to start your account for only $29.95 and he sends it within hours or sometimes even minutes after you pay via email. No shipping. No tax. And the game client is available FREE at the Guild Wars website. So that's all you need to play this game and get yourself an account. The only things you'll miss is the pretty retail box, and the instruction manual.

For me, however the $29.95 I spent to play this game was a waste of money. This is NOT a true mmo. Thr graphics, while shiny and pretty with lots of colors also pissed me off. I'm sick and tired of this 3D gaming crap that looks so two dimensional. Sure it's a 3D world, but the characters, npcs, and mobs all simply look like 2D stickers placed over a background to me. It's like they have no mass at all. Compared to a game like DAOC, I honestly think that DAoC blows the graphics away, simply because the characters and mobs in DAoC seem to have some mass and actually look like they are IN the world, not like a 2D sticker just placed over a pretty background. Maybe I'm confusing people, but surely someone knows what I mean by this. The graphics are also way too cartoony and seem to lack and feel of realism what-so-ever. Even Ultima Online and Asherons Call (1) seem to feel more real and immersive this this kind of game.

I was further pissed off by the lack to go where ever you want to. You can't jump. You can't really get off the main trails. You have no open country freedom like so many older mmo games. I hate this. If I am going to play an mmo, I wanna feel like I have complete freedom, not be limited to go left or right only or feel like I am playing in a world that is really nothing but a big maze where I can't go wherever I want.

In games like AC or DAoC or even in the ancient UO, if you attacked a mob, it actually looked like you were swinging a sword or weapon at that mob. In this game, it looks much more lame and over animated with explosions and lights going off everywhere. Reminded me of the old, old cheap made for TV batman movies where you saw cartoon words like BAWAAM and POWIE going off overy strike. Totally childish, unrealistic and un-immersive for me. Look, if I want all this fancy crap, I'll play Tekken on my PS2. If I want to play an MMO, I want a little more realistic type of fights.

I like a lot of mmos fine. I am honestly not trying to be a troll... but for anyone who likes hardcore mmos games, and likes games like Ultima Online, Asherons Call, Everquest, or Dark Age of Camelot... I would be surprised if you wasn't completely turned off by this game. It almost seems to turn mmos into some pokymon razzle dazzle game for kids who simply don't have the patience for a real mmo.

It's a good game for what it is. But it's not a real mmo. Not even close. Games like this is the reason the whole mmo gaming industry has turned to such crap the last three or four years with no real good games out.

Just my two cents... even though I know I get flamed for giving my honest opinion of what I think is one of the most over-rated games I have even seen.

- Zaxx

Comments

• DiernesDiernes Member UncommonPosts: 12

I completely agree.

Guild wars along with WOW gets the prise for the most overated games in history.

Guild wars has the special distinction of not even belonging on this website. Its not a MMORPG. simple as that. I have tried to give guild wars a chance, but it really bores the crap out of me. The Pvp which the game is designed around isnt even that good, but is the games best feature.

• BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581

I agree GW doesn't play as a tradistion MMO... It's much more like a fancy diablo 2 as you play, and Magic (the card game) when you log off to research builds. I think that is fine. The Diablo series was one of the most succesful lines of games as was Magic.

If you play guild wars for what it is, it's an enjoyable game... On the same lvl as Starcraft, or some like RTS IMO. Where you have the campaign story and the PvP online matches.

Some people have fun playing the same Starcraft maps over and over... in online matches... Others play the game beat it in a week and then are done with it.

I think GWs biggest problem comes from people getting caught up in the hype and buying the game not knowing what it truely is. When you buy something without knowing what it is, EXSPECIALLY when you expect it to be better then exsisting MMOs due to it's rating, the chances of you being disapointed is huge.

You have all these people with it in their heads
    "It's like WoW but better"
    "It's like WoW but the pvp is better"
    "It's rated best game on MMO.com, it much be the best MMO."

If people just had friends... tried their account for a day or two THEN decided to buy or not buy the game, there wouldn't be any more rant post. If people research the game for a few HOURS before buying it, rant post would likely decrease 10fold.

People just need to stop buying games because other people say "you'll like it." Use your brain, and try to figure out for yourself if you'll like it or not before you buy it.

The fact that GW had an open beta and friend passes... and has plenty of sites and resources online to view screen shots and describe gameplay, I have no sympathy to thoose that feel they wasted their money.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

I'm gullible, I bought it and I don't like it.
    Stupid hype factor.

• Dude_1414Dude_1414 Member Posts: 45

Whatever

Steve

"Do you have your latest Nvidia Driver?"
    http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

• jeb2jeb2 Member Posts: 22

i dont know how u could be turned off by guild wars unless u"ve played it too much like soo many ppl do and get bored eventually..

but this shouldnt turn u off mmo...

if u read into the website they state it isnt really an mmorpg technically.

• jeb2jeb2 Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by zaxtor99

Look, first of all for anyone who is thinking of buying Guild Wars, don't pay the full $50 retail price. There is a huge Ebay seller who simply sells the Keys to start your account for only $29.95 and he sends it within hours or sometimes even minutes after you pay via email. No shipping. No tax. And the game client is available FREE at the Guild Wars website. So that's all you need to play this game and get yourself an account. The only things you'll miss is the pretty retail box, and the instruction manual.
    For me, however the $29.95 I spent to play this game was a waste of money. This is NOT a true mmo. Thr graphics, while shiny and pretty with lots of colors also pissed me off. I'm sick and tired of this 3D gaming crap that looks so two dimensional. Sure it's a 3D world, but the characters, npcs, and mobs all simply look like 2D stickers placed over a background to me. It's like they have no mass at all. Compared to a game like DAOC, I honestly think that DAoC blows the graphics away, simply because the characters and mobs in DAoC seem to have some mass and actually look like they are IN the world, not like a 2D sticker just placed over a pretty background. Maybe I'm confusing people, but surely someone knows what I mean by this. The graphics are also way too cartoony and seem to lack and feel of realism what-so-ever. Even Ultima Online and Asherons Call (1) seem to feel more real and immersive this this kind of game.
    I was further pissed off by the lack to go where ever you want to. You can't jump. You can't really get off the main trails. You have no open country freedom like so many older mmo games. I hate this. If I am going to play an mmo, I wanna feel like I have complete freedom, not be limited to go left or right only or feel like I am playing in a world that is really nothing but a big maze where I can't go wherever I want.
    In games like AC or DAoC or even in the ancient UO, if you attacked a mob, it actually looked like you were swinging a sword or weapon at that mob. In this game, it looks much more lame and over animated with explosions and lights going off everywhere. Reminded me of the old, old cheap made for TV batman movies where you saw cartoon words like BAWAAM and POWIE going off overy strike. Totally childish, unrealistic and un-immersive for me. Look, if I want all this fancy crap, I'll play Tekken on my PS2. If I want to play an MMO, I want a little more realistic type of fights.
    I like a lot of mmos fine. I am honestly not trying to be a troll... but for anyone who likes hardcore mmos games, and likes games like Ultima Online, Asherons Call, Everquest, or Dark Age of Camelot... I would be surprised if you wasn't completely turned off by this game. It almost seems to turn mmos into some pokymon razzle dazzle game for kids who simply don't have the patience for a real mmo.
    It's a good game for what it is. But it's not a real mmo. Not even close. Games like this is the reason the whole mmo gaming industry has turned to such crap the last three or four years with no real good games out.
    Just my two cents... even though I know I get flamed for giving my honest opinion of what I think is one of the most over-rated games I have even seen.
    - Zaxx

u must be blind...lol "2D sticker just placed over a pretty background" i mean seriously image
  • scriblescrible Member Posts: 5

OK OK a lot of you dont like GW, if that is the case and it isnt that good what should someone who doesnt want to pay a monthly subscrition look at instead. give us skinflints an option

have fun scrible

• blahgodblahgod Member UncommonPosts: 6

If you care about graphics, youre not a true gamer.

End.

Of.

Story.

• jomarguejomargue Member UncommonPosts: 60

Originally posted by zaxtor99 

Reminded me of the old, old cheap made for TV batman movies where you saw cartoon words like BAWAAM and POWIE going off overy strike.

LMFAO so true man image
  • DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

End.

Of.

Story.

That is a silly response.

Every single gamer, plays games for their own personal unique reasons, No one experiences, or is attracted to the exact same things, as everyone is different. And the last time I checked, every single type of review site or magazine would probably put graphics 1st, not to say they are correct, but they generally go by what the masses care about. ( once again, not saying that makes it correct, but it shows that there are people subscribing to these magazines who are very much interested in video games that do care about graphics lol)

I know many people who pretty much only get into a game because of how great the graphics are, then find out theres much more to the game. And at the same time, some of them are the most hardcore of players, yet they still find time to go play risk or some NON graphical game, because they are DRAWN to that game for a completely different reason.

So, the story is very much open, if it weren't none of us would be playing newer mmorpgs, we'd all be inventing our own games on paper or something.

As a side note to the original poster, I too was turned off by Guild Wars recently, I was going for fissure armor, had 3/4 of it, then realized...after I get this, all there is to do is PVP, which turned me off, sad thing is, the "grind" ive experienced in many other games, is addictive and very much hard to replace.

• BasireBasire Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by blahgod
    End.
    Of.
    Story.

That is so true, even tho i don't think that GW has bad graphics.

Any one who say GW is a crappt MMO, well you right but it is not a true MMO, that is why!

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927
    Guild Wars isnt a true mmorpg and hasnt been marketed as such. If you ask me its better. However based on the hype and such it could be possible to become confused about it but really its your own fault for not realizing what youre buying. Guild wars is a great game with fun satisfying gameplay. Honestly i dont know what yer saying about the graphics cause the world looks great and definitly 3d i come from a daoc uo wow etc etc etc background and guildwars has the best most immersive graphics of them all imo especially the super detailed backgrounds. In fact i have an active daoc account that i havent played in weeks cause id still rather be playing guildwars.... Guildwars is easily the best 50 bucks i ever spent on gaming 400 hours plus of playing time how can you possibly go wrong. Huzzah for the free update coming this wednesday too.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• Blue_DragonBlue_Dragon Member Posts: 32

we'll i have bought the first week and i still play it because i love it:D
    great graphics (what the hell do you mean stickers:S) great community (atleast i didn't meet some not nice people yet), and great pvp AND pve system;), plus this game has the most balanced classes i ever encountered in a game

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

Originally posted by blahgod
    End.
    Of.
    Story.

well said mate... truer words were never spoken... but, GW has the best graphics in the world of gaming, are you guys lost or something not to see the great graphics?

I used to play Runescape for 3 years and still do just because i like the game play, nuthing to do with graphics!

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301
    just curius , did you clean fissure and uw ? cose if you didnt , try it , then come post here