Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: 6.3 Million and Rising

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard Entertainment has released some astonishing numbers a mere week after the launch of Diablo III. According to the gaming giant, Diablo III now sports over 6.3 million players worldwide.

"We're definitely thrilled that so many people around the world were excited to pick up their copy of Diablo III and jump in the moment it went live," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "We also regret that our preparations were not enough to ensure everyone had a seamless experience when they did so. I want to reaffirm our commitment to make sure the millions of Diablo III players out there have a great experience with the game moving forward, and I also want to thank them for their ongoing support."

Read the full press release about Diablo III.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Next step sub fee for content patches

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

It's really no surprise considering they gave a free copy away with a wow subscription if you signed up for 12 months gametime.

My fiends still play wow and were saying just the other night on vent that most of the people on their in-game friends list are playing Diablo as in 90% of them. I'd be interested to see the wow figures over the same period as I expect most of them will have migrated from wow to diablo and will stay there until MOP launches.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Coolit

It's really no surprise considering they gave a free copy away with a wow subscription if you signed up for 12 months gametime.

annual pass only accounted for 1.2 million of those users

-- that still leaves 5+ million in sales

http://www.gamezone.com/products/diablo-iii/news/diablo-3-sells-3-5-million-copies-in-first-24-hours

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

It's really no surprise considering they gave a free copy away with a wow subscription if you signed up for 12 months gametime.My fiends still play wow and were saying just the other night on vent that most of the people on their in-game friends list are playing Diablo as in 90% of them. I'd be interested to see the wow figures over the same period as I expect most of them will have migrated from wow to diablo and will stay there until MOP launches.

Actually, the 6.3 numbers DO NOT include WoW Annual Pass (1.2 million more) or the people in Asian territories playing it via cafes. Insane, I know.

@Nadia - On the right track, but read the press release again. That 6.3 is JUST people who bought it through traditional means. I mean, holy CRAP. Even analysts undershot this one's pull. It's no wonder the servers crapped out.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

I was guessing between 4-6 worldwide.  Damn, Blizzard is a monster.  And just think about how many people have already shelved it because of all the problems.   I myself, am loving every minute of it.  Can't wait to see what the future holds for this game.

Originally posted by Nadia

annual pass only accounted for 1.2 million of those users

-- that still leaves 5+ million in sales

http://www.gamezone.com/products/diablo-iii/news/diablo-3-sells-3-5-million-copies-in-first-24-hours

That being the case, 5 mil is stil impressive indeed, wonder how many are wow players waiting for mop. 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Crazy numbers and I didn't even buy it yet.

I wonder what Diablo 4 will do when it launches in 2036.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

My fiends still play wow and were saying just the other night on vent that most of the people on their in-game friends list are playing Diablo as in 90% of them. I'd be interested to see the wow figures over the same period as I expect most of them will have migrated from wow to diablo and will stay there until MOP launches.

Actually, the 6.3 numbers DO NOT include WoW Annual Pass (1.2 million more) or the people in Asian territories playing it via cafes. Insane, I know.

@Nadia - On the right track, but read the press release again. That 6.3 is JUST people who bought it through traditional means. I mean, holy CRAP. Even analysts undershot this one's pull. It's no wonder the servers crapped out.

That is indeed crazy then!

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

"Diablo 3 becomes fastest-selling PC game ever

Sells 3.5 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability"

thought it was gonna fail from reading all the topics around here lmao.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Crazy numbers and I didn't even buy it yet.

I wonder what Diablo 4 will do when it launches in 2036.

Good things come to those who wait? :P

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

I like that's a pc game. take that people who say only console games have good sales.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Definitely an impressive number- hopefully this will encourage studios that want to develop lobby games for the instant gratification action crowd to create ARPGs instead of "MMORPGs."

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Scalebane

"Diablo 3 becomes fastest-selling PC game ever Sells 3.5 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability"   thought it was gonna fail from reading all the topics around here lmao.

Hahaha...don't take these forums seriously. people love to hate Blizzard here. They have been gunning for WOW to fail for 5 years now. Diablo 3 was going to be a huge success, there was never a doubt in my mind.

I book marked this to rub it into face of all the haters.

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432

@DarkPony

Activision-Facebook-Blizzard Press Release:

August 13th 2036:

A day that will live in infamy.

From the sanitation engineer to the software engineer. From the massage therapist to the President of the United States. Everyone bought a copy of Diablo 4. AF-Blizzard CEO Chelsea Clinton is quoted as saying "Our retinal implant-required DRM is ground breaking..."

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by kedoremos

@DarkPony

Activision-Facebook-Blizzard Press Release:

August 13th 2036:

A day that will live in infamy.

From the sanitation engineer to the software engineer. From the massage therapist to the President of the United States. Everyone bought a copy of Diablo 4. AF-Blizzard CEO Chelsea Clinton is quoted as saying "Our retinal implant-required DRM is ground breaking..."

That's some quality poasting you've got going on there, kedoremos. Keep it up!

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Yes. But Blizzard dropped major ball.

The game is both amazingly good, and amazingly broken.

And the broken things are fixable.

But its up to Blizzard to acknowledge the problems and set on fixing them.

I hope that all that money will make them care and do good, instead of just opposite...

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Diablo III can't be having much competition then.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I believe it.

I've been playing the heck out of this game. In fact, I haven't played a game this much since EverQuest 2 launch.

There so loads of people. The auction house is funny. If you see something you want, buy it right away. Don't think about it, else it will be gone in seconds.

The game is fantastic and nostalgic. However, they haven't thrown in the vomit of cash auction house yet. So I'm not sure if that's going to **** things up.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

HOLY CRAP.  That's way more than I expected.  Not even incuding annual pass or Asian cafe players...jeez!

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856
    Originally posted by Chrome1980

"Diablo 3 becomes fastest-selling PC game ever Sells 3.5 million copies in its first 24 hours of availability"   thought it was gonna fail from reading all the topics around here lmao.

Hahaha...don't take these forums seriously. people love to hate Blizzard here. They have been gunning for WOW to fail for 5 years now. Diablo 3 was going to be a huge success, there was never a doubt in my mind.

Can I bookmark your comment when Blizzard starts chrarging you a monthly fee for a single player game?

• i486DX2-66i486DX2-66 Member UncommonPosts: 6

I do enjoy the game alot but the the extreme lag since 2 days just makes it unplayable to me. Hope Blizzard fix this asap.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Puremallace
    Originally posted by Chrome1980

Can I bookmark your comment when Blizzard starts chrarging you a monthly fee for a single player game?

Sure please go ahead.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Just think of how well TOR could have done if it hadn't charged a monthly fee.................

/duckandcover

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• arescagearescage Member Posts: 20

This is great for PC gaming. I still don't care for D3, but I am happy to see it doing well.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I guess I'm the only one not really surprised.  How many franchises still have a game made 12 years ago on store shelves?