Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: 6.3 million in 1 week

XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Diablo 3 becomes the fastest selling PC game selling 3.5 million in the first day and 6.3 million in the first week.

This does not include the 1.2 million that got D3 through WoWs Annual Pass program nor does it include Korean sales.

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=676112

Comments

• BombzawayBombzaway Member UncommonPosts: 78

When u got braggin rights, you got braggin rights

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Interesting. We saw Amazon say it was the biggest pre-order they had ever had, but I, for one, didn't expect it to be quite this big this fast.

As an aside: my copy arrived yesterday (finally, USPS sucks image) and I'm salivating waiting to try it out.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

Sad that people would support such intrusive DRM and repetitive gameplay that insists you repeat the same content over and over again.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

If you saw how many it would be adding in Korean sales and WoW inaugral numbers, you guys would cry.

ActiBlizz is rich beyond your wildest dreams, 40% of gamers are playing D3 in Korea right now and we know there's got to be at least 500k suckers with an anual pass in WoW.

• JohabohaJohaboha Member Posts: 20

Had a feeling diablo would max out the sales chart.  Dont think we will be seeing number this large for any game for a very long time... prolly Diablo IV

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by shadow9d9

Sad that people would support such intrusive DRM and repetitive gameplay that insists you repeat the same content over and over again.

People support all kind of crap, because all they think of is how much fun they think they will have no matter what the non-dollar price is. 

• Damn good game, too!

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Wow.

I knew this games sales were going to be crazy high. I just had to laugh at the posts of people saying blizzard had put a " nail in its coffin" with this release.

And people wonder why they had server & launch problems? With around 4 mil. people logging into Bnet in the 1st 24 hours its no wonder.

So much for the doom and gloomers, most of which probably bought it anyways. With no sub fee and standing on box sales alone D3 is a crazy success. People can bitch and moan all they want, if you bought it they have your money. Its not an MMO where " I quit" really even matters. All that does is free up some bandwith on the servers lol.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

If you saw how many it would be adding in Korean sales and WoW inaugral numbers, you guys would cry.

ActiBlizz is rich beyond your wildest dreams, 40% of gamers are playing D3 in Korea right now and we know there's got to be at least 500k suckers with an anual pass in WoW.

I wish they'd spend more of that amount into making truly exceptional and phenomenal games, instead of a rehash and repetition of the old, not even equaling their own old classics :-/

But hey, grats to the management and CEO's, I guess, their bonuses will be bigger again end of this year.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

How many burgers did McDonalds sell yesterday?

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

WTF does that have to do with anything? With the consoles pretty much dominating the games market, I for one, am glad to see a PC exclusive game do so well.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by jdnewell

WTF does that have to do with anything? With the consoles pretty much dominating the games market, I for one, am glad to see a PC exclusive game do so well.

I think his point is that the quantity sold does not equate to the quality of the product.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I think Blizzard could put poop in a box and it would sell 5 million......

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

It's all about having fun and not overthinking the "future of gaming".

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by dave6660

I think his point is that the quantity sold does not equate to the quality of the product.

Isn't that how the internet works?

"LOL, you're game only has x subs"

"Your games going f2p, because it fails"

"My game sold more copies than your"

"My game made more money than yours (but i didn't get any of it)"

After all, BF3 fans where all going "There's no way MW3 will sell more. We'll be number 1". Then it was "LOL, just because you sold more doesn't mean you're game's not a piece of sh**"

The internet rules clearly state that the sucess of a game and it's popularity is the determining factor for it's quality.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

It's all about having fun and not overthinking the "future of gaming".

A problem is that a lot of people don't think at all of the "future of gaming", they are just in for the potential fun. 

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Theocritus

I think Blizzard could put poop in a box and it would sell 5 million......

/rollseyes

The internet, full of terrible comparisons, analogies, QQ, and people. Got to love it.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by dave6660

Isn't that how the internet works?

"LOL, you're game only has x subs"

"Your games going f2p, because it fails"

"My game sold more copies than your"

"My game made more money than yours (but i didn't get any of it)"

After all, BF3 fans where all going "There's no way MW3 will sell more. We'll be number 1". Then it was "LOL, just because you sold more doesn't mean you're game's not a piece of sh**"

The internet rules clearly state that the sucess of a game and it's popularity is the determining factor for it's quality.

Aye, pathetic innit?

In so many aspects many people are happy to be DIFFERENT than the mass and pride themselves on having alternative and subjectively "better" preferences than the majority. Yet in gaming massive number really matter somehow.

I understood his point.

My point is why not be at least happy that a PC only game is doing well. Even if you do not like it. Maybe investors and developers will look at the PC only games as a viable market again.

People bitch about every game being a console port, not enough PC exclusives, being designed as a console game 1st, ect ect. Then any game thats a PC exclusive gets trashed.

But then again thats what this websites community does best, is trash games. Many posters have 0 positive comments about any game, makes me wonder WTF do they like and play.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by cutthecrap
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

I wish they'd spend more of that amount into making truly exceptional and phenomenal games, instead of a rehash and repetition of the old, not even equaling their own old classics :-/

But hey, grats to the management and CEO's, I guess, their bonuses will be bigger again end of this year.

It's truly upsetting, with the money Blizzard makes they could design the greatest games on earth, I mean look at those marketing CGI commercials.

But money is the real goal and of course they will invest as little possible to make the most money.

• As long as it's high quality games like Diablo 3 that are selling well I have zero problems with that.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

And by the middle of next year, dozens of F2P Diablo-clones.  It's becoming a new law of physics.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by XAPGames

And by the middle of next year, dozens of F2P Diablo-clones.  It's becoming a new law of physics.

Eh.  Not very likely.  Even TL2 can't offer a lot of teh things Blizzard can like dedicated servers and auction houses.  Part of D3's appeal is teh massive number of people playing and the knowledge that there will always be lots people to play with years after release.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Axxar

As long as it's high quality games like Diablo 3 that are selling well I have zero problems with that.

I wish I could say the same, but seeing D3 sales skyrocket I'm afraid we're gonna see more of these always online games from now on. It will simply mean that the game I supposedly bought isn't entirely my ownership. I can only play it until they allow me to. Say goodbye to reinstalling your favorite games from decades past.

But I'm still hoping it wouldn't come to this.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by shadow9d9

blaa blaa blaa .......

Did it ever dawn on you that it might just be a good game?