Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THe bigest downside

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Seems to me that this game is using the same old typical MMO combat system, nothing like Tera or even GW2 or TSW.

It would be fun to have "action combat" but who am i to argue their creative vision?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Tried Vindictus combat, tried TERA combat... doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Quite happy with the standard tab-targetting, thank you very much.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

I dont think just because we now have TERA combat and one day we will have GW2 combat (talking about big tittles), doesnt mean the end of tab target or click to target.

To be honest i never had issues with "lock" target, if well done can be so much fun like aim ones.

Do i prefer a more action combat? yes i do, but if i like most of game features "lock" target combat style is not a gamebreaker for me, in the other hand if the only think good to my eyes in a game is the aim combat then theres nothing to keep me playing more then 4 or 5 days.

I like a few things about AA that i saw in some videos around web and reading some features, but i dont know much about the state of AA atm. I will inform myself better when i know the release day on West.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Nitth

Seems to me that this game is using the same old typical MMO combat system, nothing like Tera or even GW2 or TSW.

It would be fun to have "action combat" but who am i to argue their creative vision?

Their vision does not really matter now.

Thing it is done thing. Too late now- devs cannot change combat system now especially in so radical way some would want to.

Design a combat is made at early stages of game development - changing it now to 'action combat' would need to write hitboxes, big changes to network code, total change for itemization & animations, etc - basically rewriting half of game.

Imo you either have to accept it and enjoy standard tab combat in AA (you know it is possible to enjoy it) or well just skip it.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Like others, I like both forms of combat (action oriented ala GW2 and tab-targeting ala EQ2).  The tab targeting brings me back to my console RPGs from the 80s, just moving a little faster and a bit more complex in attribute management.

My question is, are they any additional hints of WHEN this will, if ever, hit the United States??! :-)

Eager to play this one.

• AsphyxerAsphyxer Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Like others, I like both forms of combat (action oriented ala GW2 and tab-targeting ala EQ2).  The tab targeting brings me back to my console RPGs from the 80s, just moving a little faster and a bit more complex in attribute management.

My question is, are they any additional hints of WHEN this will, if ever, hit the United States??! :-)

Eager to play this one.

Nope.  It will hit NA/EU at some time, we just have to wait for XLGames to find a suitable publisher for their baby.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I personally dont mind typical MMO combat when its done right like WoW or SWTOR.  However what the biggest downside to me is the typical Asian art direction.  I greatly dislike Anime, Manga or those vibrant colored scenery and the Character Avatars are usually hyper sexualized plus wearing Chain Mail Bikinis.  All that stuff puts me off and all the CBT vids ive seen has a very Asian Influence so no matter how good the game I wont play.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I personally dont mind typical MMO combat when its done right like WoW or SWTOR.  However what the biggest downside to me is the typical Asian art direction.  I greatly dislike Anime, Manga or those vibrant colored scenery and the Character Avatars are usually hyper sexualized plus wearing Chain Mail Bikinis.  All that stuff puts me off and all the CBT vids ive seen has a very Asian Influence so no matter how good the game I wont play.

Hahaha, you are blind then. Most armors are very western medieval in nature... It's not really skimpy at all.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by Thralia

i dont understand why OP meantions GW2 and TSW together sicne they have completely different combat system

GW2 is tab target n cast spell and TSW is not.

i honestly wouldnt pay money for game (yes even if its buy2 play) that doesnt have active combat.

Lol ok,I rarely had to tab target anything in GW2,cant say the same for my time in TSW.

• DrNo172000DrNo172000 Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by stormseekaz

Mmmm ya.  Combat is just one aspect of sandbox MMORPGs.  There were people who played Darkfall, EVE, UO, and SWG, who NEVER did any combat in all their character experience.  Rich sandbox games allow many other play styles besides combat.  So..  the combat system isn't the make or break thing, like it is in themepark games.

You are so right, what in fact ruins too many sandboxes is this false belief that the game needs to be a pvp fest.  I remember in UO when it first came out in order to be a grandmaster at crafting you simpy had to for go combat skills.

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120

You know standard mmo controls would go a long way imo. I like the systems TSW & GW2 use. Not being able to click both mouse buttons and move is a big turn off for me. 

• wiseman00wiseman00 Member Posts: 16

Nothing wrong with trying something new. The graphics are pretty good ,and it is very dark themed in some places. They are trying to keep the look and the landscapes varied. I think this game will set a fine standard for the future.

Originally posted by wiseman00

Nothing wrong with trying something new. The graphics are pretty good, and it is very dark themed in some places. They are trying to keep the look and the landscapes varied. I think this game will set a fine standard for the future.

CryEngine3 is just too pretty imho. Someone will definitley hate it.

Originally posted by Asphyxer

Hahaha, you are blind then. Most armors are very western medieval in nature... It's not really skimpy at all.

http://www.archeage.com/en/contents/gameinfos/race/1 

Do you see the shoulder pads, also look at the sword the chick is holding (which giant swords are useless in real life).  Those two look like soul caliber rejects.

http://historyshop.piratemerch.com/medieval-armor-c-12_16_36.html 

That is medieval european armor, plain, simple and functional.

But yes it is more western, but still with a distinct asian flair, such as stupid looking shoulder pads and giant swords.  Also why does every female armor have to be form fitting to her curves (not just this game but all of them), that's nonsense and again unrealistic.

Originally posted by DrNo172000

Do you see the shoulder pads, also look at the sword the chick is holding (which giant swords are useless in real life).  Those two look like soul caliber rejects.

But yes it is more western, but still with a distinct asian flair, such as stupid looking shoulder pads and giant swords.  Also why does every female armor have to be form fitting to her curves (not just this game but all of them), that's nonsense and again unrealistic.

Are you implying you wound't find such things in western mmo's? Or even art? Lol, I think someone is just trying to find something to complain about.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

This has been my only concern sadly, and not just mine.

I have two friends playing TERA that I can not convince to play Archeage, they keep saying they don't really care that much about sandbox and the combat looks shitty...yet they play minecraft as well.

Honestly, some people confuse me to no end, while the combat does suck, Archeage brings so much to the table for someone like me who plays games to actually just have fun, not grind through the content quickly that I could NEVER pass this game down.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

This has been my only concern sadly, and not just mine.

I have two friends playing TERA that I can not convince to play Archeage, they keep saying they don't really care that much about sandbox and the combat looks shitty...yet they play minecraft as well.

Honestly, some people confuse me to no end, while the combat does suck, Archeage brings so much to the table for someone like me who plays games to actually just have fun, not grind through the content quickly that I could NEVER pass this game down.

I think the combat is so oldschool because Jake Song is trying to appeal to lazy themeparkers as well.

Are you implying you wound't find such things in western mmo's? Or even art? Lol, I think someone is just trying to find something to complain about.

No not complaining the armor in archeage doesn't bother me.  The big stupid swords do, but that's just personal taste.  Just pointing out that it still has a asian flair (and probably trolling a litte cause I'm bored.)

Now the cat people on the other hand...  that's my biggest downside lol :)

No not complaining the armor in archeage doesn't bother me.  The big stupid swords do, but that's just personal taste.  Just pointing out that it still has a asian flair (and probably trolling a litte cause I'm bored.)

Now the cat people on the other hand...  that's my biggest downside lol :)

Lol, can't defend crazy feline people. Just saying, big swords and wierd armors have been in most modern mmo's to date. Allso, to anyone else who complains about "asian flair" imma slap you. And call you a racist. You've been warned. ;D

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

TSW is the exact same combat mechanics as Vanguard, and both of thoe games use the exact same combat mechics as WoW with only one diffirence, you can move without breaking spell casting.

It's still tab target and hotbar activation.

And isn't that the same thing as AA?

Being able to move while casting is hardly a huge step away from your "typical mmo combat system".  I haven't played TSW, only seen some video, but I did play Vanguard and it doesn't look any diffierent. 

Tera is the only one that actually departs from the norm, and GW2 looks like they diverged enough from the typical format to make it fresh without stearing to far away to not be familliar.

TSW though?  No, that's still the same exact tab targetting and hotbar format.

And I don't see anything wrong with tab targetting and hotbars.  Doesn't AA use classes?  To me that would be the biggest downside.  Does it use a class system?  Or is it more like UO?

Originally posted by Uhwop

TSW is the exact same combat mechanics as Vanguard, and both of thoe games use the exact same combat mechics as WoW with only one diffirence, you can move without breaking spell casting.

It's still tab target and hotbar activation.

And isn't that the same thing as AA?

Being able to move while casting is hardly a huge step away from your "typical mmo combat system".  I haven't played TSW, only seen some video, but I did play Vanguard and it doesn't look any diffierent. 

Tera is the only one that actually departs from the norm, and GW2 looks like they diverged enough from the typical format to make it fresh without stearing to far away to not be familliar.

TSW though?  No, that's still the same exact tab targetting and hotbar format.

And I don't see anything wrong with tab targetting and hotbars.  Doesn't AA use classes?  To me that would be the biggest downside.  Does it use a class system?  Or is it more like UO?

1. Some spells require you to stand still. But it's mostly the same old tab and hotbar.

2. You can mix and match 3 out of 12 classes.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

i dont understand why OP meantions GW2 and TSW together sicne they have completely different combat system

i honestly wouldnt pay money for game (yes even if its buy2 play) that doesnt have active combat.

So much irony in this post. While I haven't played TSW and know nothing about its combat, GW2 probably has the most active combat in any MMO I've ever played. The only other game that might have more active combat is Vindictus.

Originally posted by Zetsuei

So much irony in this post. While I haven't played TSW and know nothing about its combat, GW2 probably has the most active combat in any MMO I've ever played. The only other game that might have more active combat is Vindictus.

Lol, your repertoire of mmo experience isn't that big then.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

The biggest downsides (at least for me and that is only from watching streams) is.

1.  Animations: Not very good at the moment,  needs more work.

2. Sound effects:  The gong's and klang's everytime you talk to an NPC is horrid.

3. Combat:  Uninspiring at the moment,  needs more work.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

Yes i fully agree, i wish it had combat more like Darkfall Online.