Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Vanu Sovereignty Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

PlanetSide 2 will feature three separate factions. MMORPG.com reached out to Sony Online Entertainment to find out more about the Vanu Sovereignty. We chatted with Associate Game Designer Margaret Krohn to find out more. Read on!

MMORPG.com: Give us some background on the Vanu Sovereignty: how did they form in the game's storyline?

Margaret Krohn: Utilizing knowledge acquired by Vanu himself, scientists were able to create one of the most powerful warfare weapons in the universe- rebirthing, an immortality system that uses Nanites to reconstruct almost anything. The Terran Republic attempted to keep this new found weapon classified, only allowing select military personnel access. Through undisclosed means, the civilian corporations got their hands on the formula for rebirthing. With the already growing tension between the T.R. and their people, it was no surprise when the New Conglomerate began rallying rebelled groups to fight the insurgency. At first, the Vanu Sovereignty made an effort to stay neutral, but as time progressed and the T.R. continued to crackdown on their studies and experiments, the V.S. found themselves forming their own alliance to fight not specifically for liberation or control, but for the evolution of the human race through scientific research and technology.

Read more of Bill Murphy's PlanetSide 2: Vanu Sovereignty Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    I cant wait to playl i am sideing with the vanu on this one. should be awesome!
  • MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I get why the VS have have a beef with the TR but it seems to me they don't have much of a reason to fight the NC beyond their hatred of gunpowder.
  • AkrasjelAkrasjel Member UncommonPosts: 6

I want play. nau

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Cant wait to destroy you VS, TR for life :)

• rikarus92rikarus92 Member Posts: 15

Great games remind you where you where, what you heard, and what you saw the first time you played them; For me that was a 12 year old me who loved DnD, Zelda, Final Fantasy, and any other crazy out-there RPG that I could find. My older brother would always make fun of these games in favor of realistic first person shooters such as Soldier of Fortune and Unreal. When planetside 1 dropped he told me a new first person shooter was coming out that might be down my alley. I didn't believe him, but sure enough a few years later we were doing 2-man reaver runs and pulling driver-gunner type maneuvers. We weren't in an outfit or anything, but we'd always team up when we played. We played under the NC. My fondest memory from planetside 1 was of my brother going behind enemy lines killing at least 10 TR guys to rescue me when my reaver got shot down.My brother ended up joining the military in the real world, and he has no taste for these kinds of games anymore. I, on the other hand, will be playing PS2 and nostalgia'ing out for a while. Thanks planetside, for bringing me back to a milder time.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I saw some TB footage of the night cycle in this game and damn it looked sweet -- and actually dark!  Can't wait to dig in.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Been waiting for this.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524

This is what i've been looking for recently, since i discovered FPS with Battlefield 3 i always asked myself if there was something like it but Massive, and this seems to be the game for me since i like sci-fi settings too. With massive games like this you feel to have accomplished something by capturing an enemy base or by winning a battle, things that you don't feel very much in BF3 apart from ranking. The only thing i do hope is that itll have a nice graphic not only a good gameplay.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

nothing against planetside but i had to stop reading for a giggle-fit at "most powerful warfare weapons..."

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

I'm going to be spreading the freedom on the NC personally.

Freeing VS brains from their skulls will be first priority.

• Raymac26Raymac26 Member Posts: 24

Cannot wait.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Mechanism
    I get why the VS have have a beef with the TR but it seems to me they don't have much of a reason to fight the NC beyond their hatred of gunpowder.

IT's not really that the Vanu wanted to fight the NC. IT's just that at the end of the day there was a fundamental conflict of interest.

The NC share the same viewpoint the Vanu do over the opression of the TR, but the NC also shre their point of view about technology with the TR.

That ends up putting them at odds with the VS because it means both the NC and TR consider what the Vanu to be doing to some degree abandoning their humanity. More so they also fear the idea of Vanu possibly setting up a technocratic rulership rather than the NCs desired 'freedom for all' approach.

Last I knew at least...

Vanu forever!

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Giggidy.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Oooh VS, my dirty little alt secret. Playing VS is like some weird S&M fetish: it's fun but I wouldn't have dared tell my TR friends I was bouncing about in a VS max in my weaker moments. Anyhoo, we all know that real men use an MCG. 

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

Extremely excited over this one.  Can't wait.  Just hope they do it right.

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

... This doesnt deserve to be called an MMO, what a disgrace.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Stimos8

How so? It meets all those words in MMO. It's not and MMORPG, but it is an MMO.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Vanu forever

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

A game where literally at least a few hundred people can be shooting at one another in the same area within a persistent world, with persistent character progression, does not deserve to be called a Massive Multiplayer Game.

...So what game, if not this one that lets you do miltuplayer on a massive scale, would qualify?

Troll less. :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• EbonheartEbonheart Member Posts: 138

While I know (hope) you're trolling, I'll reply to the benefit of anyone who doesn't know very much about this game.

Massive?

2000 players per continent.

Continents are 8km x 8km in relative size.

Several continents (Planetside 1 had 10 continents)

- PS2 will launch with 3 continents and they will routinely be adding new ones after launch.

3 factions with distinct weaponry and vehicles based upon core values and lore.

Freedom of specialization and certification. (Atleast 20+ distinct specializations per side at launch)

If you want to be a medic all day, level as a medic all day. Want to fly a Galaxy? Re-cert and fly a galaxy.

50 - 100 capture points per map, varying in size based on location (base, tower, etc.)

Each continent is PERSISTENT, NOT a match or instance like BF3.

(routinely misunderstood and misinterpreted by the pure FPS generation)

Every time you log in, you can go to Indar and it will be the same map that was there when the game launched.

The only thing that changes is control of the points, bases, and continents.

Multiplayer?

Obviously...

Online?

Obviously...

Game = Free 2 Play (Not Pay 2 Win)

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

MMO or not.. I cant freakin wait !!!!!!

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

What a fascinatingly bizarre comment. I can't decide which is more foolish:

1. That you think something 'deserves' to be called an MMO, as if it wasn't merely a description of an online game where lots of people play together at the same time...which it is...and it qualifies for that description a good bit more that a lot of games that are called MMOs these days mind you. 

2. That you think it's a 'disgrace' that something should be called an MMO when you don't think it should be, as if 'MMO' was some kind of revered title that needs to be safeguarded from misuse by bad people.   

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

As a Vanu all I can say is, shut up and give me my Lancer!  ;p

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by bumuscheekus

What a fascinatingly bizarre comment. I can't decide which is more foolish:

1. That you think something 'deserves' to be called an MMO, as if it wasn't merely a description of an online game where lots of people play together at the same time...which it is...and it qualifies for that description a good bit more that a lot of games that are called MMOs these days mind you. 

2. That you think it's a 'disgrace' that something should be called an MMO when you don't think it should be, as if 'MMO' was some kind of revered title that needs to be safeguarded from misuse by bad people.   

PVExtremist types hated Planetside, expect the same with planetside2

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

The news is all nice but when's beta start ? I got my beta key logged in months ago now I seriously want to test this game :D