Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 - Crafting and Resources: BETA Players ->

akathosakathos Member UncommonPosts: 179

So i've been watching Guild Wars 2 as soon as it was out to press. .. BETA players, as you wandered the world of Tyria, did you find resource nodes to be spotted enough to supply you with a steady supply for crafting.

After watching this video below, I'm extremely happy too see a slight variation on how crafting works in GW2, familiar but not the standard... but my concern is rumours of the crafting system being extremely expensive, in relation to crafting materials and recipes.. Is this just players wanting an easy ride, and quick access to it all, or is it as they say.. is it a struggle to get going... maybe a little too hard.. 

Crafting Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3A2xsvIMQc&feature=related

Questions:

1. Do the resource nodes while exploring provide you with enough to craft steadily with level progression?

2. Is crafting expensive and a large money sink, making it very hard.. possibly too hard. Or is it easy moders crying due to lack of instant satisfaction?

3. Is the gear crafted useful to those who make it, providing their level of their character is suitable for the gear made?

Comments

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by akathos

Questions:

1. Do the resource nodes while exploring provide you with enough to craft steadily with level progression?

2. Is crafting expensive and a large money sink, making it very hard.. possibly too hard. Or is it easy moders crying due to lack of instant satisfaction?

3. Is the gear crafted useful to those who make it, providing their level of their character is suitable for the gear made?

1.  No.  You're definitely going to have to use salvage kits as well.  Not just on salvage items, either.  Forget about your dreams of selling used/trash armor and weapons for a couple extra copper on the side, you have to salvage items marked 'salvage' AND equipment you can't use (Unless you sell it to a player or give it to a friend).

2.  I would say that it depends upon how much crafting you plan on doing.  I would say your first character is probably going to be a little rough (A lot rough if you pick say... cooking, where you have to buy a lot of ingredients), but nothing you can't work with.  Especially since you can be crafting your own equipment/bags.

3.  The gear is the best you can get for the levels they're at.  They're comparable to the rewards you can buy with karma, and way better than any but the most amazing random drops.  Also, you can craft a VERY specific set of stats (Wanting more power, more precision, more whatever), rather than hoping the vendor has exactly what you want, or that you get a best-quality drop that just magically happens to have stats you wanted. :)

4.  I know you didn't have a 4, but this is related to 2.  Your first character will probably be sort of a money-losing proposition at least at first when you craft, but that's okay, because gathering/salvaging gives you drops for ALL the crafting.  So you can either have your alts craft other stuff, switch to another craft later, or sell the materials you're not planning on using.  Since there's dedicated storage slots for crafting materials, they don't really take up bank space, so this means future alts with alternative crafts will have an increasingly easier time. :)

• akathosakathos Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Questions:

1.  No.  You're definitely going to have to use salvage kits as well.  Not just on salvage items, either.  Forget about your dreams of selling used/trash armor and weapons for a couple extra copper on the side, you have to salvage items marked 'salvage' AND equipment you can't use (Unless you sell it to a player or give it to a friend).

2.  I would say that it depends upon how much crafting you plan on doing.  I would say your first character is probably going to be a little rough (A lot rough if you pick say... cooking, where you have to buy a lot of ingredients), but nothing you can't work with.  Especially since you can be crafting your own equipment/bags.

3.  The gear is the best you can get for the levels they're at.  They're comparable to the rewards you can buy with karma, and way better than any but the most amazing random drops.  Also, you can craft a VERY specific set of stats (Wanting more power, more precision, more whatever), rather than hoping the vendor has exactly what you want, or that you get a best-quality drop that just magically happens to have stats you wanted. :)

4.  I know you didn't have a 4, but this is related to 2.  Your first character will probably be sort of a money-losing proposition at least at first when you craft, but that's okay, because gathering/salvaging gives you drops for ALL the crafting.  So you can either have your alts craft other stuff, switch to another craft later, or sell the materials you're not planning on using.  Since there's dedicated storage slots for crafting materials, they don't really take up bank space, so this means future alts with alternative crafts will have an increasingly easier time. :)

Nice! I like the sound of this, I don't like easy mode at all, but also I wouldn't want it to be too hard.  So I notice in the video he/she uses three different items to create a equipment piece. Now am I right to beleive he/she  is choosing a particular stat enhancement with regards to the  three pieces chosen? I.e item 1= +4 power... item2= +10 Precision.. 

Also, is one of those three choices, a asthetic choice? To change he visual appearance?

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Nice! I like the sound of this, I don't like easy mode at all, but also I wouldn't want it to be too hard.  So I notice in the video he/she uses three different items to create a equipment piece. Now am I right to beleive he/she  is choosing a particular stat enhancement with regards to the  three pieces chosen? I.e item 1= +4 power... item2= +10 Precision.. 

Also, is one of those three choices, a asthetic choice? To change he visual appearance?

Well, here's why you'll be poorer as a crafter (At least at first)

1.  You need to buy salvage kits.

2.  You'll be salvaging away stuff you might otherwise sell.

3.  You won't be selling your crafting components.

4.  For all crafts there's a few things you need to buy from the crafting store, to help complete items.

Maybe if you work the market you might be ablet o make your money back selling items, but since you level faster by crafting items you've never crafted before/discovering new crafts, any efficient crafting means your items are going to be a wide variety and some things that possibly won't sell well.  It's hard to tell without a proper economy rather than a weekend beta one. :)

The three items generally work like this.

Weapons/armor have two mandatory parts to them.  Combining those two parts makes the actual item (And I think determines the appearance, though I'm not 100% positive if there's a way to change that)

The optional third part is an item you can craft that modifies stats.  So say, like a vampiric inscription that makes any weapon you put it on drain life.

There's no explicit recipe for 'vampiric sword', but if you put the two sword parts and the vampiric inscription in the discovery panel, you can learn how to make 'vampiric sword', it'll be added to your recipes, and you get the two bonuses for crafting something new and learning a new recipe.

I know there's supposed to be ways to get unique skins, but I'm not sure if that's with an item you add, or by changing the two parts you use to build the weapon in the first place.

• akathosakathos Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Well, here's why you'll be poorer as a crafter (At least at first)

1.  You need to buy salvage kits.

2.  You'll be salvaging away stuff you might otherwise sell.

3.  You won't be selling your crafting components.

4.  For all crafts there's a few things you need to buy from the crafting store, to help complete items.

Maybe if you work the market you might be ablet o make your money back selling items, but since you level faster by crafting items you've never crafted before/discovering new crafts, any efficient crafting means your items are going to be a wide variety and some things that possibly won't sell well.  It's hard to tell without a proper economy rather than a weekend beta one. :)

The three items generally work like this.

Weapons/armor have two mandatory parts to them.  Combining those two parts makes the actual item (And I think determines the appearance, though I'm not 100% positive if there's a way to change that)

The optional third part is an item you can craft that modifies stats.  So say, like a vampiric inscription that makes any weapon you put it on drain life.

There's no explicit recipe for 'vampiric sword', but if you put the two sword parts and the vampiric inscription in the discovery panel, you can learn how to make 'vampiric sword', it'll be added to your recipes, and you get the two bonuses for crafting something new and learning a new recipe.

I know there's supposed to be ways to get unique skins, but I'm not sure if that's with an item you add, or by changing the two parts you use to build the weapon in the first place.

Ah! Fantastic thanks for all that, taught me some stuff I didnt  know!  I'm very happy to get stuck into this crafting. Love what their doing with the game so far... Lets hope the game lives up to expectations!

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

You tend to rely a LOT on salvage kits. Although, also keep in mind mobs drop bags of materials (tiny saddle bag, what have you) that often contain crafting bits too.

The only bad part of that is you're tempted to salavge a lot of your early gold-making material (ie armor and weapons you don't need), so focusing on crafting could lower your gold income heavily.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Yeah I really wouldnt worry about salvage kits at all. They really start dropping around level 7 and I found myself over flowing with them and placing them in the bank with Human and Nord characters. Not sure about Charr though.

You just need a little patients and not splurg on breaking down items until you get the kits...not that long a wait.

I would be more concerned about bag space for the massive variety of materials :p

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs

Yeah I really wouldnt worry about salvage kits at all. They really start dropping around level 7 and I found myself over flowing with them and placing them in the bank with Human and Nord characters. Not sure about Charr though.

You just need a little patients and not splurg on breaking down items until you get the kits...not that long a wait.

I would be more concerned about bag space for the massive variety of materials :p

Right-click material-send to collection. There's a second tab in your bank that holds MOST crafting mats (certain items for inscriptons and anything that's been at least partly built doesn't count

• Meowhead covered most of it - just a couple of other hints:

Basic crafting materials just as copper, jute, etc can be right clicked in inventory to auto send them to the bank.  This doesn't work for special components like Vial of Blood which are used to craft the stat component.

Cooking is the most expensive because it takes the greatest variety of goods and consuming food provides stat boosts etc.

Everyone should consider taking one character up one of the armor crafts (light, medium, or heavy) as all can make containers that fit in your bag slots, including 8 slots at a fairly early level.

Note:  A bag slot for those who don't know is a slot that holds a container of size 4-20.  When you start the game you have a backpack of size 20 and some empty bag slots.  You can buy more bag slots in the cash shop.  You can buy size 4 bags usually from the vendor who sells salvage kits and harvesting tools.

Not all combinations are possible in the discovery system - there are recipes that are only available from Karma Vendors (personally seen these) and recipes that are supposed to drop in the dungeons.

Appearance from one item can be combined with stats from another (they must be same type of item) using transmutation stones - this is available to everyone and not crafter dependent.

You can access the Trading Post from anywhere but only pick up items/coins from certain locations.  You can access the bank in any of the major cities, unsure of other locations.  You can access crafting machines in the major cities and a few other places.

Originally posted by terrant

Right-click material-send to collection. There's a second tab in your bank that holds MOST crafting mats (certain items for inscriptons and anything that's been at least partly built doesn't count

How dare you know something that I dont...I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!

/e slams bedroom door

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

/e slams bedroom door

Heh, I only point it out because I went through the first BWE not knowing it, and flooded my bank with crafting mats that shoulda gone on the second tab.

/e slams bedroom door

Heh, I only point it out because I went through the first BWE not knowing it, and flooded my bank with crafting mats that shoulda gone on the second tab.

yeah, thanks man...takes one of my minor worries away :)

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

I worked on 2 characters during BWE1:  one leatherworker/huntsman and one weaponsmith/armorsmith.  I had to be sort of careful with my coppers, but I knew nothing about what was valuable and wasn't really trying to generate any revenue.  I also didn't use the trading post.  I think that would have provided me with some spare change. 

But I was pretty diligent about gathering and salvaging, and hanging onto useful crafting drops.  I always had a full set of gear ready for my character when it hit 10/15/20.  So getting something out of crafting as you level is definitely possible, even for a beginner.

Crafting the exact set of stats would require you to have a particular type of drops, so there's no guarantee there unless you go out looking to farm that type of trophy or use the trading post well.  I just used what I had available, because any bonus is better than none.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

All I'll add to the discussion is the recommendation that everyone who isn't planning to craft should still buy gathering tools and salvage kits and should sell the mats on the marketplace. Crafting seems to be rightfully balanced to require crafters to buy a portion of their mats from the marketplace.

You can even list mats for sale right from your inventory while out in the world. As a crafter, I plan on reminding people of this every chance I get. The more people gathering and selling mats, the more econimical crafting will be for crafters!  (I cringe at the thought of precious mats being sold to a vendor or even deleted from inventory to make space, by players who don't appreciate the value).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

All I'll add to the discussion is the recommendation that everyone who isn't planning to craft should still buy gathering tools and salvage kits and should sell the mats on the marketplace. Crafting seems to be rightfully balanced to require crafters to buy a portion of their mats from the marketplace.

You can even list mats for sale right from your inventory while out in the world. As a crafter, I plan on reminding people of this every chance I get. The more people gathering and selling mats, the more econimical crafting will be for crafters!  (I cringe at the thought of precious mats being sold to a vendor or even deleted from inventory to make space, by players who don't appreciate the value).

Agreed on all counts. The one thing I want to really point out is the "special" items for inscriptions (animal blood, teeth, etc) are going to be the high ticket items. Why?

1. They seem to drop noticeably less than other crafting items
    2. They are used to create inscriptions, which basically add a special state (bonus condition dmg, extra health, etc) to your item. Think of being able to add "Of the Monkey" or whatever to crafted WoW gear.
    3. Nearly EVERY crafting profession uses them.

Those and cooking are the real money-takers and money-makers in this game from what I see.
  • wetterfreewetterfree Member UncommonPosts: 22

nord?...srry

anyhow back to the subject

i agree materials are pretty plentiful in many areas and the charr lands have good trees.