Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pure arrogance will destroy this game

Comments

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Avarix

Guild Wars 2 is in a unique position, where all this hype is only going to help them. It's not a typical P2P game that needs a subscription. It just needs to sell the box, that is all. People can piss and moan all they like a month down the road, it's not like you can get back that $60 you already gave them. This isn't your typical MMO where they need to constantly keep the players happy so they can continue getting paid.

Am I missing something here?

Actually they will need to keep players happy to continue to generate revenue from them in the future. This future revenue may not be tied to a subscription fee, but micro-transactions or expansion sets are likely to be more appealing to players who are happy with the game than otherwise.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

(not directed at the OP but at the number of stupid responses i've seen to this post)

GW2 doesn't have truly dynamic events?! LMAO! ROFLMAO! really, yeah i suppose you will tell me they don't have unique and fun to play combat system next. You naysayers really need to read more, let me introduce you to a little something called META events. And if you still come back saying it's not dynamic after that then you are in need of serious reading comprehension and definition tutors.

GW2 is Rift all over again. HARDLY, I played Rift it is a lobby game and i like so many others are tired of just standing around in town waiting for a group to form to teleport off somewhere to do a dungeon. GW2 is nothing like this. If you wish to do a dungeon it's not REQUIRED because most of the content is in the open world.

MODS i would suggest closing this thread as it's clearly filled with misinformation once again. People i guess just don't like to read anymore.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I enjoy watching the haters rail futiley against this game.  Now that I've played it, I can sit comfortably back and watch their exasperated spittle fly while they work themselves into a hatefilled frenzy.  Keep it coming lads.  Your indignant howls buoy me.

• CometerCometer Member UncommonPosts: 28

I disagree with the poster here but I also believe that no game will ever satisfy everyone.

I get bored of MMOs really fast because they always seam to lack something.

Eighter I like the enviroments but the combat doesn't suit me. Or the combat is great but  NPCs suck and so on.

The truth is when MMOs first appeared our internet connections were very slow. And companies had to create MMOs that were less demanding on your network. No real time combat. Limited destruction and so on. The technology was simply not ready to handle the kind of experiences people had with SP RPGs.

A couple of companies figured out a good enough MMO model to grab people attention into MMOs.

But years passed and other then some changes here and there, most MMO RPGs  remain very static (persistent as they say), and very tactical based instead of reaction based.

Some companies have tried to do something different but publishers don't like to take risks.

So if a company wants to bring real time combat to MMOs they'll do it but because its risky the publisher won't shell out the same amount of money they would for already proven game dynamics.

Now I'm mentioning all this because I too played games like Rift, Tera Online, SWTOR and so on.

I think they all have their pros and cons  but suffer from the same basic problem. Rift did something new with their dynamic rifts. But gameplay wise remained a typical tactical MMO.T Tera has brought realtime combat, and the enviroments are gorgeous but the world doesn't provide that developing story feel. The reason why you go from quest A to B. It gets boring when you feel there is little purpose other than kill 10 of this and 20 of that.

But at least for me I had fun playing GW2 beta right from the start. It's not perfect but it is good enough to have caught my attention more than any other MMO I've played.

And one of the major reasons for that is that I didn't had to search a lot to find action. From the moment you start playing you're already doing something big.

And that's it.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by Puremallace

The massive balls this guy has to say this crap and just pretend like Rift never happened is just amazing to me. 

I can't believe you have the balls to mention Rift in this context =))

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Istavaan

The OP must be getting paid by some company to write negatively about other mmo's. why else would someone waste that much time writting rubbish for free?

I think he's just hurt over Rift. This isn't the first Rift QQ thread, and I'll be surprised if it's the last by him.

Rift is a good game, and there are 'some' innovations, but it is still very much built off the WoW-model, which is exactly what those articles are talking about. Arrogance or not, I actually agree with what Anet is saying, which is one of the reasons I'm supporting them.

The amount of devs (and fans) alike who either claim innovation or to want innovation, only to do the opposite is rather frustrating. There has been a large amount of stagnation in this genre, and there have been a LOT of threads (on this site alone) talking about that very fact. Heres comes a developer trying to meet those criticisms, and you chastise them for it. Doesn't seem hypocritical at all.

They aren't even saying there has been no innovation either, they are saying there hasn't been nearly enough. They've talked about this in other venues / conferences as well. 'It takes so long to make an MMO, that if you are planning on innovating, you can't just do a new feature here or there. You need to go all in.' Again, I'd have to agree with them on this. They aren't the only studio innovating, but they are the only one taking such a large risk to try and push the genre forward. There are other projects that do look promising, though. Planetside 2 for one looks to be doing things very different. TSW remains to be seen, but so far parts of the game look to be fairly different, which is a nice touch. However, that's it.. really. 1 game and 1 maybe. There haven't been many more mmos in the past that stand out as all that different either. Which is not something that we should be supporting.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856
    Originally posted by Unlight

I enjoy watching the haters rail futiley against this game.  Now that I've played it, I can sit comfortably back and watch their exasperated spittle fly while they work themselves into a hatefilled frenzy.  Keep it coming lads.  Your indignant howls buoy me.

Will you be the first person to say "well it is Buy to play" what did you expect when they fail to deliver on these massive promises?

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/arenanet-guild-wars-2-a-reaction-to-sluggish-mmo-design/

Do you believe that the MMO genre has been stuck in a rut over the past few years? So does Christopher Lye, the global brand director for ArenaNet, who publicly denounced the post-World of Warcraft trend in the industry as stagnant.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Lye stated that Guild Wars 2 is walking the walk when it comes to genuinely challenging the status quo in the industry. "Honestly, I think the problem is that there's been a lack of change in MMO design and that Guild Wars 2 is a reaction to that," he said. "People will call this risky, but we think it's riskier just to churn out the same MMO that everyone has played before."

Lye pointed to Guild Wars 2's scaling dynamic event system and its action combat as examples as to how ArenaNet is forging its own path. Observing that player consumption of content is "virtually insatiable," Lye said that the team has developed tools to allow it to implement changes and additions to dynamic events in hours, not weeks.

Is this industry stagnation coming to an end? Lye says yes: "We're finally seeing a point where companies realize that they're not going to create the next great MMO by just copying what's come before."

The massive balls this guy has to say this crap and just pretend like Rift never happened is just amazing to me. Are devs just inside a little box where nothing gets in that is happening around them? Can ArenaNET please release this game already so that it can stop riding the hype train?

Either you haven't played the beta, or you're just a troll. You obviously can't understand the difference between rifts and de's. Please do a bit more research before making a flat out bad assumption.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by Unlight I enjoy watching the haters rail futiley against this game.  Now that I've played it, I can sit comfortably back and watch their exasperated spittle fly while they work themselves into a hatefilled frenzy.  Keep it coming lads.  Your indignant howls buoy me.
    Will you be the first person to say "well it is Buy to play" what did you expect when they fail to deliver on these massive promises?

They've already delivered. The game is every bit as good as they claim. Just accept it. They've won the Internet.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Where's the like button for your post! LOL I loved it!

• kaltahnkaltahn Member Posts: 31

Co-signed.  Played the beta, waiting for release to come so that the internets can acknowledge new ownership.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

They have already delivered on their promises so i don't see how they failed or will fail to deliver. i have played it for myself like thousands of others.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/arenanet-guild-wars-2-a-reaction-to-sluggish-mmo-design/

Do you believe that the MMO genre has been stuck in a rut over the past few years? So does Christopher Lye, the global brand director for ArenaNet, who publicly denounced the post-World of Warcraft trend in the industry as stagnant.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Lye stated that Guild Wars 2 is walking the walk when it comes to genuinely challenging the status quo in the industry. "Honestly, I think the problem is that there's been a lack of change in MMO design and that Guild Wars 2 is a reaction to that," he said. "People will call this risky, but we think it's riskier just to churn out the same MMO that everyone has played before."

Lye pointed to Guild Wars 2's scaling dynamic event system and its action combat as examples as to how ArenaNet is forging its own path. Observing that player consumption of content is "virtually insatiable," Lye said that the team has developed tools to allow it to implement changes and additions to dynamic events in hours, not weeks.

Is this industry stagnation coming to an end? Lye says yes: "We're finally seeing a point where companies realize that they're not going to create the next great MMO by just copying what's come before."

The massive balls this guy has to say this crap and just pretend like Rift never happened is just amazing to me. Are devs just inside a little box where nothing gets in that is happening around them? Can ArenaNET please release this game already so that it can stop riding the hype train?

You can't add 1 unique thing to a game and call it "innovative" that's what he is saying , thats what i'll keep saying.  Rift added dynamic rifts to the same formula. Now yes, rift is the best example of the same formula but it still is the same formula.  

Now, if rift would have added a new combat system and different types of dynamic events, yeah you can call them inovative.

Same way TSE isn't innovative. Adding Adventure Game puzzles is just one thing, when u still stick to thesame quest hub formula and Trinity system, u have done nothing but made the same game with a MOD.  It's no better than trying to repackage or resell the mods for a Elder Scroll game.  

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

LOL....well said.  I have been feeling the same way but couldnt articulate it as well as you just did.

• DrNo172000DrNo172000 Member Posts: 48

I think you've had a bit of reading comprehension fail there.

If you look at the above paragraph you'll see he says that other companies have realized the same thing as well.  Meaning that other companies have innovated as well.  He never mentions the words Trion or Rift either, therefore you are taking a serious leap in logic.  You are using what is called a straw man, which is a fallacy in logic.

"Honestly, I think the problem is that there's been a lack of change in MMO design "  Here is what lye says, here is more or less how you misrepresented his position.  Lye says that there has been a lack of change in MMO design, therefore he is saying Rift didn't have any change from the standard MMO design with it's Rift system.

• Straw man: A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresenting an opponent's position so as to more easily refute it.
      • Example
        Person A: Sunny days are good.
        Person B: If all days were sunny, we'd never have rain, and without rain, we'd have famine and death. Therefore, you are wrong.
        Problem: B has misrepresented A's claim by falsely suggesting that A claimed that only sunny days are good, and then B refuted the misrepresented version of the claim, rather than refuting A's original assertion.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

lol I love when Unlight jumps into every anti GW2 thread to let everyone know it doesn't bother him ;}

/cheers

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I too would love it to release! Then the hype train will end and the maelstrom train will be gathering all of you haters and making believers of you! Go ahead and be one with the power of GW2!  muhahahaha!!!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I too would love it to release! Then the hype train will end and the maelstrom train will be gathering all of you haters and making believers of you! Go ahead and be one with the power of GW2!  muhahahaha!!!

The issue the hype eventually comes full circle and ArenaNET is expected to deliver on these promises. I do not want to even touch the game right now because of the idiotic amount of hype. What is the point of joining a guild that may end up completely unsubbing due to lack of pve content or pvp with no point?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

The issue the hype eventually comes full circle and ArenaNET is expected to deliver on these promises. I do not want to even touch the game right now because of the idiotic amount of hype. What is the point of joining a guild that may end up completely unsubbing due to lack of pve content or pvp with no point?

There... is... no... sub...

And I find it strange that someone would not "touch" a game because there was hype. That reminds me of high school where the people shunned everything popular just because it was popular. It's a really silly idea in my opinion.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    Originally posted by gladosrev2

He is right on the spot. And rift did not happen. Only one of those I know tried it and left very quickly. Others, including me, are not into hamster wheel mmo's anymore.

You can deny it all you like, but even after the rather buggy beta, GW2 hypemeter is still rising. It's that good :) Most often games don't live up to the hype, that is true, it's just like with movies. But sometimes the hype is pretty spot on, just liek it was with Avatar, and will be with GW2. In both cases, ironically, we have a certain degree of arrogance and genius behind the team.

Agreed.

I absolutely hoped for the best with Rift,  I even bought a 6 month sub and tanked every raid boss up through Akylios. Like WAR & Vanguard before it, I liked it for it's potential.  It failed to evolve and take advantage of its potential. In the end Trion decided to play it safe by clinging desperately to an already available and over done model while dipping the other toe into the concept of dynamic content. They're exactly where they deserve to be.

ArenaNet dove right in, tossed out the rubbish and made some brave and long over due decisions and ended up with something that's deserving of the praise it's getting (and will certainly impact how some big future MMOs are made).  

There's no award for Trion halfheartedly somewhat slightly altering the WoW model.

They had a chance, they didn't take it. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

most things never live up to the hype and usually the more hype the bigger the letdown IE SWTOR.. either way though GW2 is a fun game I put almost 20 hours into the game and only spent my time in the very first are for charr. I didn't even get into PVP yet i was having to much fun just doing the PVE stuff... This game is going to do well Anet did well with Guild Wars 1 and put out a couple expansions that also did very well.. I see no reason why any MMO fan would not want to at least give this game a go.. also with no monthly sub to me it's really a no brainer.

just an example in SWTOR during beta I played through every single starter area and everone I left say meh it was ok but nothing special.. GW2 i have really been blown away by what I have seen in such a short time. Most people here have played plenty of MMOs over the years and honestly it doesn't take more than maybe a day or so to see if the games foundations feel solid and this game feels as solid as they come

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

There is no sub. And Im not sure what you mean with pvp with no point.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Avarix

Guild Wars 2 is in a unique position, where all this hype is only going to help them. It's not a typical P2P game that needs a subscription. It just needs to sell the box, that is all. People can piss and moan all they like a month down the road, it's not like you can get back that $60 you already gave them. This isn't your typical MMO where they need to constantly keep the players happy so they can continue getting paid.

Am I missing something here?

A little. Mostly spot on, but they do need to keep the players happy so they'll buy future expansions.

One thing I like is how they're going to keep pumping new events into the game and not tell the community what they are... let the players find them themselves. That, to me, really speaks well of a company not only being confident in their game but in the intelligence of their playerbase to find and recognize new things and share them with others.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I would encourage you to avoid words like "unsubbing" so that people don't attack your small mistakes rather than discussing with what you were trying to say.  I do too think that activity can become an issue if the game gets stale and boring after playing it for a month or two.  Can't really know how long people will be actively participating in World vs World without getting bored. 

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    GW2 ftw!

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

This discussion has been closed.