Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pure arrogance will destroy this game

PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/arenanet-guild-wars-2-a-reaction-to-sluggish-mmo-design/

Do you believe that the MMO genre has been stuck in a rut over the past few years? So does Christopher Lye, the global brand director for ArenaNet, who publicly denounced the post-World of Warcraft trend in the industry as stagnant.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Lye stated that Guild Wars 2 is walking the walk when it comes to genuinely challenging the status quo in the industry. "Honestly, I think the problem is that there's been a lack of change in MMO design and that Guild Wars 2 is a reaction to that," he said. "People will call this risky, but we think it's riskier just to churn out the same MMO that everyone has played before."

Lye pointed to Guild Wars 2's scaling dynamic event system and its action combat as examples as to how ArenaNet is forging its own path. Observing that player consumption of content is "virtually insatiable," Lye said that the team has developed tools to allow it to implement changes and additions to dynamic events in hours, not weeks.

Is this industry stagnation coming to an end? Lye says yes: "We're finally seeing a point where companies realize that they're not going to create the next great MMO by just copying what's come before."

The massive balls this guy has to say this crap and just pretend like Rift never happened is just amazing to me. Are devs just inside a little box where nothing gets in that is happening around them? Can ArenaNET please release this game already so that it can stop riding the hype train?

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Puremallace
    Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/arenanet-guild-wars-2-a-reaction-to-sluggish-mmo-design/Do you believe that the MMO genre has been stuck in a rut over the past few years? So does Christopher Lye, the global brand director for ArenaNet, who publicly denounced the post-World of Warcraft trend in the industry as stagnant.In an interview with Gamasutra, Lye stated that Guild Wars 2 is walking the walk when it comes to genuinely challenging the status quo in the industry. "Honestly, I think the problem is that there's been a lack of change in MMO design and that Guild Wars 2 is a reaction to that," he said. "People will call this risky, but we think it's riskier just to churn out the same MMO that everyone has played before."Lye pointed to Guild Wars 2's scaling dynamic event system and its action combat as examples as to how ArenaNet is forging its own path. Observing that player consumption of content is "virtually insatiable," Lye said that the team has developed tools to allow it to implement changes and additions to dynamic events in hours, not weeks.Is this industry stagnation coming to an end? Lye says yes: "We're finally seeing a point where companies realize that they're not going to create the next great MMO by just copying what's come before."  The massive balls this guy has to say this crap and just pretend like Rift never happened is just amazing to me. Are devs just inside a little box where nothing gets in that is happening around them? Can ArenaNET please release this game already so that it can stop riding the hype train?

Its marketing spin for their product. of course there not gona list other games innovations.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856
    Originally posted by Nitth
    Its marketing spin for their product. of course there not gona list other games innovations.

Do devs not learn at all from 7 years worth of launches and pre hype that maybeeee just maybe hyping a game up this bad might back fire?

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Well, I'll give you credit, you managed to make it until the very last paragraph before you mentioned Rift.  Btw...Rift is EXACTLY the type of cookie-cutter MMO he should be complaining about.  The only thing "revolutionary" that Rift brought to the genre were the Rifts, and they weren't implemented particularly well.  The rest of the game is a carbon copy of WoW, and has evolved into more of a lobby-based game than a true MMO.  

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Well first off there are no DE's in Rift or GW2. Only game to have DE was AC, that is true Dynamic Events. Now that I got that out the Rifts in Rift and the Hearts in GW2 are not even the same type of questing. Rift has no impact on GW2 or the MMO community at all.

We have yet to see if GW2 does or not.

What we need is MMOs that require you to think and challenging content. That is what we as gamers want.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Well, at least he didn't say "paradigm shift". That accounts for something.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

Dont see how that statment can possible destroy the game..

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Its marketing. What they do.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Rift is a decent game but instead of building the game around rifts they decided instead to shove a bland wow questing game undernieth it.  Recently rift has been doing more with rifts and it seems the game is coming into its own and its doing financially well so i hope it the best.

GW2 is very artfully put together,  DE make up the core of questing and the heats are just  a pleasant side show.  The DE are very well designed and have interesting stories,  open up and close dungeons,  lead to full chained story invasions of entire zones,  open up quests and much much more.    The world is like a library of those choose your adventure novels that every reads together,  sure the choices are limited but their are still choices.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Dark Pony ..... this is what I think of your witty, "im sitting on the fence" comments.

[mod edit]

It's getting old.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Nitth

Do devs not learn at all from 7 years worth of launches and pre hype that maybeeee just maybe hyping a game up this bad might back fire?

In marketing even if your game is good or bad you try to hype it like crazy. If its good people will stay otherwise they go. All marketing wants to do is to at least get people to try it, the game itself does the rest. Hype doesn't really have anything to do with success or failure, the game itself will determine that. Only a very small percentage of foks(us) might leave a game because it was too hyped and we "expected more". They would take the masses that got a glimpse of the hype over the hardcore fans that got over saturated with hype any day.

• powerplaypowerplay Member Posts: 24

I glad you brought up RIFT OP in this conversation. I truly believe that RIFT opened the door for all "Next Gen" games. I was one of the million people RIFT ripped away from WoW and sucked me in for 10 months, with an awsome skill system, a dynamic world, and ubsurd amounts of updated content. The Trion team showed a lot of us that we could do better than what Blizzard was giving us. 

I'm no longer playing, but RIFT was the first Next Gen mmo. I have to give respect were respect is due. The Trion dev team is tops in the biz.

Now it's up to games like GW2 and TSW to carry on the tourch of innovation. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Maephisto

Dark Pony ..... this is what I think of your witty, "im sitting on the fence" comments.

[mod edit]

It's getting old.

lol

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

[mod edit]

It's getting old.

Poor Pony! :( 

BOOYAKA!

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Wait, when promoting GW2, developers should talk about Rift?

Was there a memo on this?

And does Blizz know this? I haven't seen them talk about Rift at all during the release of D3 or the beta testing of Pandaland.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

The massive balls this guy has to say this crap and just pretend like Rift never happened is just amazing to me. Are devs just inside a little box where nothing gets in that is happening around them? Can ArenaNET please release this game already so that it can stop riding the hype train?

If you think Rift is innovative (?!), then don't play GW2. Your brain couldn't take it - it would be too much to take in. Yes, GW2 is more innovative than Rift. Not sure if you are trying to argue this point? Actually Warhammer Online was more innovative than Rift.

But where GW2/Anet will have a hard time to match Rift standards is in term of customer support/customer experience and responsiveness from the Rift team. I understand they were awesome in that regards, and Rift have definitely risen people expectations here.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/arenanet-guild-wars-2-a-reaction-to-sluggish-mmo-design/

Do you believe that the MMO genre has been stuck in a rut over the past few years? So does Christopher Lye, the global brand director for ArenaNet, who publicly denounced the post-World of Warcraft trend in the industry as stagnant.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Lye stated that Guild Wars 2 is walking the walk when it comes to genuinely challenging the status quo in the industry. "Honestly, I think the problem is that there's been a lack of change in MMO design and that Guild Wars 2 is a reaction to that," he said. "People will call this risky, but we think it's riskier just to churn out the same MMO that everyone has played before."

Lye pointed to Guild Wars 2's scaling dynamic event system and its action combat as examples as to how ArenaNet is forging its own path. Observing that player consumption of content is "virtually insatiable," Lye said that the team has developed tools to allow it to implement changes and additions to dynamic events in hours, not weeks.

Is this industry stagnation coming to an end? Lye says yes: "We're finally seeing a point where companies realize that they're not going to create the next great MMO by just copying what's come before."

I agree with Lye when it comes to the concept of cloning: I really don't want 10 more years of WoW clones nor Guild Wars 2 clones with a twist. I prefer a varied MMORPG AAA market and I am glad that Arenanet chose the path of variation. 

About Rift: it shares far too many elements with WoW; that's it's problem. Its development started 2006, while GW2's started 2007, so it is hard to say who was first with the idea with dynamic events, they could have  thought of it independentely. 

Being different that does not mean that you are the first one to do it, it just means that you are different from the norm and the current norm is WoW. The dynamic events and the abolishment of the holy trinity, are two important aspects that make GW2 feel different.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

First, notice how he says 'companies' as in plural?

Second, Rift? Seriously? 

• Marketing folks are just plain irritating.  They never say anything that really means something.  Personally I ignore them.

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

He is right on the spot. And rift did not happen. Only one of those I know tried it and left very quickly. Others, including me, are not into hamster wheel mmo's anymore.

You can deny it all you like, but even after the rather buggy beta, GW2 hypemeter is still rising. It's that good :) Most often games don't live up to the hype, that is true, it's just like with movies. But sometimes the hype is pretty spot on, just liek it was with Avatar, and will be with GW2. In both cases, ironically, we have a certain degree of arrogance and genius behind the team.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Well, I'll give you credit, you managed to make it until the very last paragraph before you mentioned Rift.  Btw...Rift is EXACTLY the type of cookie-cutter MMO he should be complaining about.  The only thing "revolutionary" that Rift brought to the genre were the Rifts, and they weren't implemented particularly well.  The rest of the game is a carbon copy of WoW, and has evolved into more of a lobby-based game than a true MMO.  

This^

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

@ OP,

Are you ok or not, lol?

You are whinning about a Anet paid Marketing Director trying to market GW2 as an awesome game.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856
    Originally posted by Naqaj

First, notice how he says 'companies' as in plural?

Second, Rift? Seriously? 

I am sorry if GW2 fans are starting to sound like WoW fans with outrageous claims about your game inventing this and that. According to some of the post I have seen GW2 has invented RvR, dynamic eents, level scaling, and public quest. Oh also add in action combat.

You guys do realize you are going to be held to a standard that Rift and other games have set right? TOR devs played this same game before it launched and we all saw what happened.

STOP ACTING like there will be the same qq that there is in every mmo launch and release since ever.

. ZOMG no x-server LFG I cannot find a group!!!

. ZOMG why no addons the UI sucksssss

. Why can't I customize x feature

. Where are the mounts I  hate running QQ!!!

. [insert class here] is OP, nerf them now or I quit

. This roll over server crap sucks I want to be on the same server as my guild this sucks!!!! QQ

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

[mod edit]

It's getting old.

The only arrgoance that will kill this game is that of the elitest fans who take anything A-net says as the gosphel set in stone that GW2 will be entirely different from other MMOs (such as Wow), and will completely revolutionize and revitialize the genere. I feel those fans are writing a check full of promises GW2 can't cash, and that this will come back to bite what would have otherwise been a decent (not amazing) game on the ass.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by cyress8

[mod edit]

It's getting old.

Poor Pony! :( 

That reminds me how they changed the actor for Ser Gregor Clegane :(.  At least we will see the old actor in "The Hobbit" later on.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Face it - the hype train precedes any and all big realease. And marketing usually only knows about 1/2 of what's going on with a title, but will lay claims about said title that make the devs cringe. The devs have zero control what BS spews out of a marketer's pie-hole, so be sure not to blame a dev for what marketing says, unless said dev is a known media who'e (*cough* Richard Garriott *cough) and is more concerned with saying anything to get their mug out in public than actual game facts.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

This discussion has been closed.