Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My input: Pretty good(slightly short read)

After playing through it on Normal difficulty I have to say that the game was pretty good when it comes to story, character progression, content, length of the game, characters in the game, cutscenes and stuff like that.  I thought all of that was good, and that truly makes a good game, I believe.  Want to get that out of the way before I get to the bad stuff.

The bad stuff is pretty crippling particularly to a Diablo game.  I have to get out of the way though that I have never played Diablo 2, I've played Torchlight like a fiend though, and from what I understand, they are similar in design.  Y'all may be caling me out by now, but I believe you might agree with the negatives so just read them out.

The character custimization is extremely carebear in this game.  No stat points, no Skill points, no rune finding.  You get everything through level gains.  I've heard lots of people get really mad at this and rightly so.  In Torchlight, building the character was a big part of the game, and it offered tons of replay value.  As I'm sure the same counts for Diablo 2 also.  Diablo 3 was supposed to be hardcore, what with the inclusion of Inferno mode, and generally the overall feel of the game just screams "not for the feint of heart".  But seeing as Inferno mode has been beaten already only 4 days after launch...says that it's not as hardcore as it should be.  Going through Normal, I only had trouble with 1 boss in the game, I roflstomped Diablo, which I was really dissapointed with.

Another thing is I didn't lke the way the difficulty choosing works.  Coming from Torchlight I much rather choose my brutal difficulty right off the bat instead of having to trudge through 10 or so hours of a Normal, relatively unchallenging difficulty in order to get to the more rewarding difficulties.  This is a preference, but I still believe that it falls into the realm of the game being very carebear.

But like I said.  The game is good, I enjoyed myself despite wanting to customize my barbarian the way I wanted to.  The combat felt good, but in one particular boss I felt the difficulty spiked dramatically.  I know I just went on about how the game wasn't hardcore and now I'm complaining about a hard boss, but this difficulty was artificial and frustrating, not challenging and genuine.  Hit detection was out of wack, he did attacks that were impossible for me to dodge or avoid, health vial drops were luck of the draw, controls were unresponsive at times due to server twitches which resulted in several deaths.  Stuff like that isn't challenging, it's frustrating.

So there is my input, fun and good, but carebear and dissapointing in difficulty.  What do you all think about the game?  Do you agree with me?  Do you think I'm being unfair?  Do you think I'm flat out wrong?  Let me know!

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Completely agree, noticed the problems with customization too but since that's not a big thing for me i didn't complain about that.

The problems i didn't like were the RMAH, the persistant online play. the lack of randomness in the D3 engine, hardly anything out of the main storyline appears when running around solo, it's like they didn't want people to run off the beaten path this time.

The rune thing is spread out too far and few between i think, but then again i haven't reached the next difficulty after normal so i can't really comment on that yet.

The Torchlight II beta has LOTS more options, is designed like D2 was in the class progression department. I definitely love the small features like the randomness in their design of the game, the system makes sure there is lots to do, the engineer class is melee so far but it's absolutely fun, and oh the pet running back to town to sell my crap is the best thing ever.

It's like they had students take D3 and try to make it like D2 and didn't put too much into it. It's weird.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I agree with some of your points, but there are things you dislike over TL1 that are a feature of the first two Diablo games, such as that you start out in normal mode and work your way up to hell (and now inferno). It would be strange for Blizzard to change that as it is a feature in both D1 and D2. Since you mentioned that you didn't play D2, I thought I would just throw that in in case you didn't know about that.

I admit I am a little underwhelmed by the customisation choices at the moment, but I hope they get better (I have not gotten into nightmare just yet).

My biggest beef are items themselves. They seem a bit lacklustre in comparison to both D1 and D2's and there isn't quite as much variability even with hefty amounts of magic find gear on. I think if people take the hit to their other stats with magic find gear, they should be able to find some pretty interesting stuff, and so far I have found none...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Completely agree, noticed the problems with customization too but since that's not a big thing for me i didn't complain about that.

The problems i didn't like were the RMAH, the persistant online play. the lack of randomness in the D3 engine, hardly anything out of the main storyline appears when running around solo, it's like they didn't want people to run off the beaten path this time.

The rune thing is spread out too far and few between i think, but then again i haven't reached the next difficulty after normal so i can't really comment on that yet.

The Torchlight II beta has LOTS more options, is designed like D2 was in the class progression department. I definitely love the small features like the randomness in their design of the game, the system makes sure there is lots to do, the engineer class is melee so far but it's absolutely fun, and oh the pet running back to town to sell my crap is the best thing ever.

It's like they had students take D3 and try to make it like D2 and didn't put too much into it. It's weird.

Something I didn't mention in my "review" was the RMAH and when I heard about it, I was convinced it will be a vast detriment to the game, and my opinion hasn't changed.  But I'm staying far away from it, so I don't have a comment on it.