Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone gave me a copy of D3...

SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

As much as I wanted to boycott, one of my friends handed me a copy of D3 out of the blue the other day. He said he was sorry he missed my birthday, which was a couple of weeks ago. Now, you can't return PC games around where I live, and I didn't want to upset the guy. Additionally, nostalgia and the notion to "just try it out." Got to me.

First Impressions...

Positive:

The skill system actually does let you customize more than I expected. I like it.

Negative:

There are times when it feels like the old Diablo, but most of the time it upsets me how WOW-ified the game is. From the environments to the Dialogue, nothing screams out at me as M-rated.

Furthermore, the story so far (acts 1-3.5) annoys me.

*SPOILERS*

In the teaser we were shown in 2008, they fight a massive demon. It looked awesome. His name is Khazmodan from WOW, minus the first two letters. Idiocy! And Kain is alive in the segment they showed, yet he dies in act 1. The whole thing is a terrible T-rated cliche. The Belial fight was meh. The cartoony graphics do not fit Diablo at all. It's my worst nightmare come true.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Comments

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

For Xmas, ask him for the ability to post in the correct section ;)

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/1335/Reviews-Impressions.html

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Cartoony graphics?  Sure you weren't playing Torchlight?  Aside from the game getting a graphic overhaul from D2, the art style is exactly the same as Diablo and Diablo 2.  It looks nothing like WoW in that respect.  

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

yea torchlight reminds me of wow... diablo 3 reminds me of diablo...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

This. Torchlight = extremely cartoony and has a very unique artstyle. Diablo = dark just like diablo always has been.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Yup, my feeling as well. 

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Diablo 3 is an exact art-style rip off of WoW.

If you don't see that... man... thats wild.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

D3's art looks like, well, Diablo. Yes there's some out of place colored lighting here and there, but for the most part it's used to good effect.

Those who say it looks bad just have poor taste in aesthetics, IMO.

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

No, it doesn't, not in the slightest. I'd suggest an eye exam.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Azmodan predates wow by about 7 or 8 years buddy. He was tied into the lore of Diablo 1. In fact he was mentioned in the manual. He is an important character in the Diablo universe as one of the lesser evils.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Well, a lot of people don't see that.  I'm one of them.  Looks exactly like Diablo 1 and 2.  

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Cartoony graphics?  Sure you weren't playing Torchlight?  Aside from the game getting a graphic overhaul from D2, the art style is exactly the same as Diablo and Diablo 2.  It looks nothing like WoW in that respect.  

Wanna borrow my glasses? Seems you need them more than I do.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Well, a lot of people don't see that.  I'm one of them.  Looks exactly like Diablo 1 and 2.  

yea same.. look at torchlight... look at wow.. look at diablo 3.. now which two look very similar?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by dubyahite
    Azmodan predates wow by about 7 or 8 years buddy. He was tied into the lore of Diablo 1. In fact he was mentioned in the manual. He is an important character in the Diablo universe as one of the lesser evils.

Meh, don't bother explaining it. He seems like one of those people who thinks Warhammer ripped off Warcraft. It's best to just leave those types alone.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I also love how people always post that their friends buy them games that they absolutely hate and want to boycott or whatever.

I've seen it multiple times around here. "ok guys, I was going o boycott this game an protest at their offices and I post 15 times a day about how terrible it is, but my friend bought it for me."

You must have sucky friends if they don't even know how oppose to this game you are. That or they are just terrible at buying gifts.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by Netspook

I see just fine, Mr. Magoo.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Netspook

I think you should keep them cause it seems you need them.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I havent and wont be playing D3. 

But Ive seen screenshots and some game play. 

Anyone saying D3 looks like WoW is pretty off.  Because it really doesnt.  Anyone saying D3 looks like D2 or D1 is off as well, because it doesnt really do that either.  Heck those games are SO old anyways.  I have them sitting on my shelf. 

Regardless, I dont like D3's art style.  I would for another game.  But this is Diablo we're talking about.   Where is the darkness?  It should be a lot more gritty than it is.  It doesnt look gritty, it looks pretty.  Which just totally doesnt fit with me.  But thats just my opinion. 

But D3 really doesn't look anything like WoW, nor does it look like D2 or D1 at all.  It has its own style.  Which is to be expected in some form because its been what?  About a decade since D2?  But I still dont like it, but thats not to say I hate on those that do. 

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I would say DIII looks neither like Diablo nor WoW. That's just my personal opinion.

TL definitely looks like a worse version of WoW. I actually don't mind how WoW looks 85% of the time, but TL drove me nuts.