Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO, Security and You - Site Keys

BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Curious about peoples thoughts of this matter:

it is said to provide an added layer of security to keep unwelcomed  theives at bay.

What i am curious about is how effective are they?

With so many forms of threats looking to steal players accounts, Does such a device help in making it harder for them to steal your accounts, thats also including having a strong pw to back it up.

or such keys are shallow shields, ultimately being a waste of money to either offer little to no protection?

Those who have such devices id like to hear your thoughts, and if they have a viable purpose to be in future mmo's

Comments

• oblitrifyoblitrify Member Posts: 14

No security device will ever take the place of  player intelligence. Don't reply to phishing emails. Don't download from suspect sites. Check and recheck everything if you have any doubts. If you're stupid, not even the best authenticator and password combo will save you.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

If a key is necessary, either the security of the game servers is horrible and you should probably expect to get hacked either way, or you open every mail and click on every link, which means maybe the internet is not for you lol.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

The largest threat to your MMO account are forums.

Essentially fan forums are the best target for hackers and similar.   People are soo security unaware that they'll use the same username AND password all over the place.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• BMoorBMoor Member Posts: 202

I think it should be relatively effective for its simplicity.  Now, logins with require 2 factor authentication:

1. What you have: the physical key
    2. What you know: your usual login and password information
    At least it is not asking for who you are (biometrics) and what you do (maybe how you move your mouse).
    This type of 2 factor authentication is something I've seen large companies use but like other security measures, it can be broken.
  • gamermmorpggamermmorpg Member Posts: 2

Tokens help protect your account, but I find them annoying to carry around and over priced. I notcied some gaming companies are starting to use SMS authentication to safegaurd accounts. This is similar to what a lot of banks offer. I like this method of authentication because it's efficient and doesn't require the purchase of hardware/software. You simply input the code that's delivered to your phone back into the site to telesign into your account. 

Has anyone heard of any additional gaming companies that are rolling out this option?