Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To whom do I send these disaster averting suggestions to? The New Orleans city government's email sy

I tried sending it via New Orleans' official site via their internal email system (so I'd email directly from the site, you know what I mean?), but a message said something like "Your message cannot be submitted at this time. Please try again later." so I copied & pasted it, and saved it in my email.

So where should I send the message to instead? How do I get them to read it fast enough and act on it? Here it is:

Hello.

First, my condolences to the area. The City of New Orleans and the surrounding areas are in my prayers.

Second, when New Orleans gets cleaned up, with all the excess water pumped out, would you consider refitting and upgrading levees with steel and concrete, so not even 250 MPH hurricanes break it away?

Third, if the new levees are 50 feet high, that would work wonders. Money is no object at this point with federal aid pouring in and this would be bargain compared to otherwise losing very irreplacable lives. Even if business and homes have to be relocated to make room for a newer, stronger, and taller levee system, the inhabitants shouldn't mind because they'll still stay alive, and the government may help them with their relocations.

Fourth, do you think lowering the level of Lake Ponchartrain by diverting water north via pipelines, would help prepare New Orleans for future storms?

Fifth, I don't know how well you'd like this suggestion, but so you know, houses in Bangladesh are on stilts so they can avoid the frequent floodings there. This may sound grim, but Global Warming does not help but make hurricanes stronger, so stilted houses and two-story garages with ramped driveways would be a wise idea. This would also be expensive, but not as expensive as losing lives.

Thank you for reading and considering these future safety measures and I will pray for New Orleans and the area to recover and withstand future storms next time.

Regards,

-(Shultz) (Manhattan, KS)

Comments

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

It's my understanding that they have alot of engineers already looking at what they can do when they rebuild to prevent something like this from happening. I don't think your suggestions will ever make it to those people, to be honest.

I'm sure if your suggestions are possibilities, they will come up with them and implement them.

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961

I don't think Bangladesh gets 250mph hurricanes though :)

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by ParaTrooper
    I don't think Bangladesh gets 250mph hurricanes though :)

No doubt. Even at 150 mph, a house on stilts would look like the Wizrd of Oz.

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Global warming and the fact that this is a cycle that happens every once in awhile!

They expect 21 more hurricanes 8 of which are as big if bigger than this one

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Originally posted by shultz

Second, when New Orleans gets cleaned up,

The city is gone kid.....
  • EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by loeslein

Now on what news site do they back that up? What media outlet says the same?
  • RufiusRufius Member Posts: 2,031

Originally posted by loeslein

Now on what news site do they back that up? What media outlet says the same?

Here are images of the flooding area taken from a satelite.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images.php3

Professor Hubert Farnsworth - That question is less stupid but, you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Don't you think that those things have been considered? It seems that you think you are clever, but really, you are just rubbing in engineering mistakes.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• DarktaniaDarktania Member Posts: 805

I get the impression you've never been to New Orleans because your suggestions are utter nonsense.

Diverting the water in Lake Pontchartrain would be an ecological nightmare for the area.

The houses there are already elevated. They're on blocks. Not even the houses in Bangladesh could withstand 20 feet of water.

The levee that broke was already made of steel and concrete. There's not much you can do about a freak hurricane hitting the city in it's most vulnerable spot.

Global Warming being the cause of this hurricane? Hate to break it to ya but bad hurricanes have been around since the dawn of time. As a matter of fact if you look at the time scale of the last 100 years the frequency of hurricanes has dropped.

This was a worse case scenario coming true. A freak occurence. No one is to blame but good ol Mother Nature.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Originally posted by Darktania

I get the impression you've never been to New Orleans because your suggestions are utter nonsense.
      Diverting the water in Lake Pontchartrain would be an ecological nightmare for the area.
      The houses there are already elevated. They're on blocks. Not even the houses in Bangladesh could withstand 20 feet of water.
      The levee that broke was already made of steel and concrete. There's not much you can do about a freak hurricane hitting the city in it's most vulnerable spot.
      Global Warming being the cause of this hurricane? Hate to break it to ya but bad hurricanes have been around since the dawn of time. As a matter of fact if you look at the time scale of the last 100 years the frequency of hurricanes has dropped.
      This was a worse case scenario coming true. A freak occurence. No one is to blame but good ol Mother Nature.

I second all of that.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos