Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impressions and differences from beta

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,877

This is for the people that played the beta and might be put off by some details they seen there.

I also was on the edge, but i said to my self : "with all the money invested and such team , Blizzard will probably adress that"

On the other hand Bioware also had lot of money and good team, but they came up with SWTOR ...

So how did this pan up for Blizzard ?

My main problems with beta :

1. Low resolution textures

2. Antialiasing not functioning properly (jagged lines)

3. Not much randomisation (maps and quests)

4. Not much monster variety

5. Animations problems

6. Game being piss easy

So how did it pan out ?

1. Glad to say textures are now really high res - the game looks AWESOME!

2. Antialiasing is working :)

3. Randomatization is in, and its awesome ! I found several caves and dungeons just casually strolling (huge) overland maps - and dungeons all have completely different layouts (Like one was flooded cavern with just long corridors)

4. Crazy monster variety , with some impressive monster skills ( I found pack of scavengers that knocked me all over the map)

5. Animations are now fully in , and they look great

6. And last but not least - They said the game is supposed to be easy on normal. Well , i got my ass handed to me by several bosses allready... nuff said ;)

All in all

The game is extremely expensive. It has most annoying DRM (always on). It has RMAH

But is it worth it ?

HELL YES !

p.s

One thing that i found pretty amazing is the ammount of lore and story. Every monster you see will spawn a little voiced story explaining the monster. And ammount of unrelated lore stories is also huge. You will find it everywere. And its all delivered in way that it does not stop you from playing.

Also, you have cinematics tailored for every character you play and its sex... pretty impressive

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Yesterday while I was playing I was wondering why people were saying that the levels are not random when they are clearly randomised. I never played the beta but by the looks of it I am glad I didn't!

The game is not expensive. It costs 60 dollars in the US. Isn't that what you normally pay for an AAA release. In the UK it was ridiculously cheap, I got it for 27 pounds, most people got it for 30 which is 43 and 47 dollars respectively. I wouldn't call that expensive!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,877

Originally posted by fivoroth

Yesterday while I was playing I was wondering why people were saying that the levels are not random when they are clearly randomised. I never played the beta but by the looks of it I am glad I didn't!

The game is not expensive. It costs 60 dollars in the US. Isn't that what you normally pay for an AAA release. In the UK it was ridiculously cheap, I got it for 27 pounds, most people got it for 30 which is 43 and 47 dollars respectively. I wouldn't call that expensive!

Its 60Euro in reatil here. So its bit on expensive side. It does depend on the country though...

Still as i said. Its worth every cent

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 2,528

Nice impressions/review. I was in the same boat when I was in that free open beta weekend. I told myself "This is it? The big D3?" . I mean it was good/ok , but that's it! But I did bought it anyway ( yes, 60E here too ) , and man! There IS a BIG difference between that beta and the live game.

Anyway, I love it!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Are the differences between beta and retail really that vast?

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,877
    Originally posted by tachgb

Are the differences between beta and retail really that vast?

Yes

Actually , I dont get why the put that beta open for public. It was completely misrepresenting the game.

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

This is for the people that played the beta and might be put off by some details they seen there.

Thank you for this post. I was one of the people who was completely put off by the beta, I actually asked myself where all the money and development time went. Especially points 3-5 were gamebreakers for me, as D3beta felt as a very repetitive hacknslash game with very mediocre animations and gameplay. Because of the beta I decided not to buy D3 and wait for T2 instead.

Seeing the points you just brought up, and since I know you were very critical of the beta aswell, I will consider picking up D3 soon. It seems that the open beta was a huge mistake by Blizzard, since I and many other people (even TotalBisquit) judge D3 on the awfull beta. I mean, I expected that Blizzard would have released an open beta only if it was up to their standards and of high enough quality to convince people of D3's quality. Therefore I didn't think the D3 experience wouldn't differ much from the open beta. Guess I was wrong!