Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bold Prediction - The Secret World Will Be Game of The Year.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by bcbully

Originally posted by odinsrath

Originally posted by laserit

its sorta like what to expect from michal bay films..EXPLOSIONS! EXPLOSIONS! EXPLOSIONS!

most of us know what to expect from EA + who ever = huge let down

Ya... kinda like waiting in a que to play a single player game.

fyi waiting in a Q to play a game is a good sign of high pop. unlike 99% of EA "so called mmo" games

why only 99% because the other 1 % is stuck playing the flavor of the month EA game..till they come back and complain how EA has yet again deserted their "so called " game of the year

+ why even compare D3 to an mmorpg..clearly you have no clue

Because waiting in a que to play a single player game  is the same kind of bull as what your spewing.

the security is linked somehow its obvious ..D1 / D2 was hacked hardcore with keys ..im sure this is why u cant play single player while multi-co-op is down..i dont rly see why  people keep trying to compare the 2..id rathe rmuch play a 1 player game as you said then play some game made by EA thats seemlessly doomed to fail

You talking about Swtor or the Sims? Those are the only 2 mmo's EA has made right?

warhammer and earth & beyond too.  daoc they didnt produce but took over when they bought mythic.  dont know if origin were "with" ea when they made ultima online or not

regardless EA arent making TSW

Funcom are independeent developers and producers, EA don't own Funcom, like they own Bioware, Mythic and Origin.  EA arent even the producer, Funcom are.   Its an EA partners deal where EA deal with Box to store distribution.  Much like the deal Funcom had with Eidos on Age of Conana.  And Valve of all people had with EA on The Orange Box.

That said....

I am not going out and buying a lifetime sub, just in case EA do buy Funcom at some stage.  because EA do ruin the MMOs they own, he is right on that at least.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by cutthecrap

I keep thinking back to the beat up house by the scrapyard. It had a bunch of random hubcaps and animal skulls mounted to one of the outside walls next to the rusty motorcycle with dead weeds tangled in the spokes. The little things like that are all over the place and it makes TSW stand out in the crowd.

I think that things like that show how much attention and dedication designers have put into their work, loving care and attention to details like that. I noticed it with GW2 and TSW, it really shows. I found it lacking myself in MMO's like SWTOR and Rift, a vibe you get when you wander around in a world.

Thats exactly what it boils down to for me. I enjoy roleplaying in mmos and when a dev studio puts this type of attention to detail in something that most people would just walk right past, it encourages me to put my trust in an immersive world that will be reciprocated. I'll put as much detail into my character's story and so will many others that love a good rp environment. Besides the fact that this isn't sci fi or fantasy, I've been looking forward to roleplaying in a fresh new setting. And this is definitely it.

The problem is, the only elements they have put in for characters to RP and develop themselves outside of the themepark rides, is making the game look phenominal in some places.  Even that isn't the case everywhere.

Look at London.  I think London and all the hub cities should be completely designed around social features and atmosphere.  Right now they are typical themepark cities that have nothing much to offer except faction hubs, training and shops.  There isn't much there to support role playing, IMO.  Roll playing shouldn't have to be completely reliant on one's imagination in an MMORPG.  The game itself should coax people into RP with proper features and community-building as a goal.  I saw none of this.   What I am describing doesn't require this game to be a sandbox either.  It just requires more focus on letting the players develop great characters, rather than having your character shoved down your throat via quests and story line.  SWTOR failed to do this, and while TSW's version is much better, it's still ultimately the same problem.

I also agree that this game is screaming for PvP servers to up the ante.  PvE only is going to get old once you hit max level.

I dont think you and I share the same views on roleplaying in an mmorpg. Besides the fact that others have pointed out multiple stages and activities available for roleplaying, the fact that shops are open and have multiple rooms make for a perfect rp environment. Im talking about markets that you can walk in and through all the way to the storage room. Restaurants that have a kitchen with all the ameneties that you can walk back to. Back alleyways that twist and turn. Lit passageways. Crates and wooden planks that lead to upper areas. Street signs and shops that correlate to directions in the phonebook. I could go on but you get the idea.

To me this is a rp'ers dream. So many unique props and backdrops. Nooks and crannies. Accessible rooms and backways.

So you don't care about having a myriad of interesting emotes, or gameplay aspects that can go on between players, or mini-games, or anything in the cities that actually makes people want to stay beyond visiting required NPCs.  The problem is that you and a couple other people may end up being the only ones who bother RPing since there is no wider draw to it built into the game.  I wish you all the luck, bud.  If all you need is a chat bubble and a room to RP in, then you are set.  I personally would like to see some game mechanics thrown in.

Have you ever stopped by "The Sanctuary" on the TSW forums? You should beautiful vibrant rp has been going on there for years. That community is going in game now.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Originally posted by MosesZD

Funcom + EA...    I'd say your prediction was past 'bold' and right into 'Oh, look at the flying rainbow unicorn.  Maybe I shouldn't have eaten those mushrooms growing in the garden....'

I like TSW as you can see from my avatar, i think it's a good game, and an MMO that does not insult me by treating me like a 5 year old the whole time which is quite uncommon these days, but my reaction to the Op was something along those lines too Moses 

^.^

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by ShakyMo

its sorta like what to expect from michal bay films..EXPLOSIONS! EXPLOSIONS! EXPLOSIONS!

fyi waiting in a Q to play a game is a good sign of high pop. unlike 99% of EA "so called mmo" games

why only 99% because the other 1 % is stuck playing the flavor of the month EA game..till they come back and complain how EA has yet again deserted their "so called " game of the year

Because waiting in a que to play a single player game  is the same kind of bull as what your spewing.

the security is linked somehow its obvious ..D1 / D2 was hacked hardcore with keys ..im sure this is why u cant play single player while multi-co-op is down..i dont rly see why  people keep trying to compare the 2..id rathe rmuch play a 1 player game as you said then play some game made by EA thats seemlessly doomed to fail

You talking about Swtor or the Sims? Those are the only 2 mmo's EA has made right?

warhammer and earth & beyond too.  daoc they didnt produce but took over when they bought mythic.  dont know if origin were "with" ea when they made ultima online or not

Funcom are independeent developers and producers, EA don't own Funcom, like they own Bioware, Mythic and Origin.  EA arent even the producer, Funcom are.   Its an EA partners deal where EA deal with Box to store distribution.  Much like the deal Funcom had with Eidos on Age of Conana.  And Valve of all people had with EA on The Orange Box.

That said....

I am not going out and buying a lifetime sub, just in case EA do buy Funcom at some stage.  because EA do ruin the MMOs they own, he is right on that at least.

yes! ..ty for that..its what EA does..either hlp fund games or buy em out ..just to let them sit / rot n die..not 1 has a staple you can look to and say "that right there..they did it right" and is still alive kicking and screaming with subs or pop.

Originally posted by BarCrow

What's with all the EA/Funcom stuff? EA is partnered with Funcom for publishing and Distribution only. They don't fucking own Funcom. So tired of see shit implying otherwise.

if EA is in the name..EA has more pull when push comes to shove..belive that...

They have no more pull than you would, if I brought you my package at  the post office. 

if they didnt have any backing from EA this game wouldnt even be being tested right now or complete..you do relize that EA more than likely intrused them with millions of dollars to slap EA on their box..that hlped fund this game

yes there is the posibility that EA knew how bad SWTOR would turn out, but released anyway hoping "brand recognition" would make it sucessful purely on the star wars name, and got involved with The Secret World as an "insurance policy" so they could say "look we can make a good mmo" in case SWTOR did flop.

Its why im wary of the lifetime sub option, just in case EA do buyout funcom and start calling the shots.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

What's with all the EA/Funcom stuff? EA is partnered with Funcom for publishing and Distribution only. They don't fucking own Funcom. So tired of see shit implying otherwise.

They have no more pull than you would, if I brought you my package at  the post office. 

if they didnt have any backing from EA this game wouldnt even be being tested right now or complete..you do relize that EA more than likely intrused them with millions of dollars to slap EA on their box..that hlped fund this game

You sir are Dead wrong! This game is being made in montreal, and in the Quebec tax law it states that new companies that put money into R&D I.E. Game devolpment, get every single dime back, so in honestly the game is really costing funcom hardly anything to make it. This law was put into place to attract new buisiness to Quebec, EA is just the distributors of the final product.

If you want proof, look up the Canadian tax laws, I hope you can understand it since tax law is extremely difficult.

That said....

yes! ..ty for that..its what EA does..either hlp fund games or buy em out ..just to let them sit / rot n die..not 1 has a staple you can look to and say "that right there..they did it right" and is still alive kicking and screaming with subs or pop.

well not mmos anyway.  I think its safe to say the Crysis games are top quality FPS though.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

That said....

well not mmos anyway.  I think its safe to say the Crysis games are top quality FPS though.

yap..on pc..but for some reason on console peeps dont care for it as much..and they have monopolized sports games as well..i liked crys

whats that little black circle icon in the bottom right corner there.

That influence wasn't very effective was it - cough - STEAM

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

EA is a massive corporation tha thas many "arms"..The one called EA Partners Program simply publishes and distributes 3rd party software/games for a fee of course.

Hate EA acquisiitons all you want. Hate the EA game developer arm.

This branch takes the burden of mass publishing and distribution off smaller 3rd partys for a fee.

It's not like EA is the Umbrella Corporation.

I don't like everything they've done in the past ..or how they've treated the artists and creators. The real workers. I'm just not in the habit of condemning an entire corporation...all its branches and employees..because they fucked up a couple videogames I used to play. Unless of course you might have worked for them and been mistreated or discovered real proof that they have ,in fact, developed a horrible virus that creates legions of undead-like twisted horrors out of humanity.

Wait...that description almost fits all the disgruntled EA haters.

EA is a massive corporation tha thas many "arms"..The one called EA Partners Program simply publishes and distributes 3rd party software/games for a fee of course.

Hate EA acquisiitons all you want. Hate the EA game developer arm.

This branch takes the burden of mass publishing and distribution off smaller 3rd partys for a fee.

It's not like EA is the Umbrella Corporation.

I don't like everything they've done in the past ..or how they've treated the artists and creators. The real workers. I'm just not in the habit of condemning an entire corporation...all its branches and employees..because they fucked up a couple videogames I used to play. Unless of course you might have worked for them and been mistreated or discovered real proof that they have ,in fact, developed a horrible virus that creates legions of undead-like twisted horrors out of humanity.

Wait...that description almost fits all the disgruntled EA haters.

I ended up working for sony at one stage, they were just as big a set of bastards as ea are supposed to be.

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

had to rofl hard on that title :D

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

TSW is cool because its much different then any other MMO in terms of setting and character progression. I hope the game will do well, but it there is no way it will beat GW2 in anything.

GW2 just has so much more innovation in terms of dynamic events, automatic grouping, and WvW. Stuff happens and you automatically play with everyone around you.

TSW seems to have a poor man's version of factional world pvp and the pve is largely a solo quest grinder with occasional group instances. The setting makes this content interesting enough, but it is still recycled mechanics from every other game that GW2 simply does better.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

It's different , and  interesting also .

But the combat and animations will get it raped by many review sites/mags/writers.

It'll balance out as a high 6 , low 7 at best with high marks for setting , very low for mechanics and no way will it garner any major game of the year awards due to mechanics issues.

WvW isn't innovative its daoc lite
  • DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by cutthecrap

I keep thinking back to the beat up house by the scrapyard. It had a bunch of random hubcaps and animal skulls mounted to one of the outside walls next to the rusty motorcycle with dead weeds tangled in the spokes. The little things like that are all over the place and it makes TSW stand out in the crowd.

I think that things like that show how much attention and dedication designers have put into their work, loving care and attention to details like that. I noticed it with GW2 and TSW, it really shows. I found it lacking myself in MMO's like SWTOR and Rift, a vibe you get when you wander around in a world.

Thats exactly what it boils down to for me. I enjoy roleplaying in mmos and when a dev studio puts this type of attention to detail in something that most people would just walk right past, it encourages me to put my trust in an immersive world that will be reciprocated. I'll put as much detail into my character's story and so will many others that love a good rp environment. Besides the fact that this isn't sci fi or fantasy, I've been looking forward to roleplaying in a fresh new setting. And this is definitely it.

The problem is, the only elements they have put in for characters to RP and develop themselves outside of the themepark rides, is making the game look phenominal in some places.  Even that isn't the case everywhere.
    Look at London.  I think London and all the hub cities should be completely designed around social features and atmosphere.  Right now they are typical themepark cities that have nothing much to offer except faction hubs, training and shops.  There isn't much there to support role playing, IMO.  Roll playing shouldn't have to be completely reliant on one's imagination in an MMORPG.  The game itself should coax people into RP with proper features and community-building as a goal.  I saw none of this.   What I am describing doesn't require this game to be a sandbox either.  It just requires more focus on letting the players develop great characters, rather than having your character shoved down your throat via quests and story line.  SWTOR failed to do this, and while TSW's version is much better, it's still ultimately the same problem.
    I also agree that this game is screaming for PvP servers to up the ante.  PvE only is going to get old once you hit max level.

I dont think you and I share the same views on roleplaying in an mmorpg. Besides the fact that others have pointed out multiple stages and activities available for roleplaying, the fact that shops are open and have multiple rooms make for a perfect rp environment. Im talking about markets that you can walk in and through all the way to the storage room. Restaurants that have a kitchen with all the ameneties that you can walk back to. Back alleyways that twist and turn. Lit passageways. Crates and wooden planks that lead to upper areas. Street signs and shops that correlate to directions in the phonebook. I could go on but you get the idea.

To me this is a rp'ers dream. So many unique props and backdrops. Nooks and crannies. Accessible rooms and backways.

So you don't care about having a myriad of interesting emotes, or gameplay aspects that can go on between players, or mini-games, or anything in the cities that actually makes people want to stay beyond visiting required NPCs.  The problem is that you and a couple other people may end up being the only ones who bother RPing since there is no wider draw to it built into the game.  I wish you all the luck, bud.  If all you need is a chat bubble and a room to RP in, then you are set.  I personally would like to see some game mechanics thrown in.

There are mini games, and social mechanics, and a myriad of emotes that werent activated in the beta but you would've seen if you types /e. Anyway, not sure why you're trying so hard to talk shit on a roleplayer lol bully much?

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

Originally posted by AdamTM

Let me start by saying, I don't think TSW will have the number of players GW2 will have maybe not even the amount Tera has. TSW appeals to a certain taste, an aquired taste if you will. TSW does that taste oh so well, better than any mmo to date.  The ability to create this dish will garner Funcom & TSW critical acclaim much like  "Slum Dog Millionair"  did in the film industry.

Like the taste or not, there is something very special in TSW, something different.  The Devil is in the details my friends, and the Devil is in TSW.

I'm a fan of the game but i don't realistically see TSW as a GOTY, not even in the MMO space.

GW2 and TERA are solid additions to the market and as deserving of mention. Especially with GW2, if it is released this year, the title would go to GW2 hands down. 

GW2 innovates more than TSW does in areas that were stagnant for quite a while, for that alone its GOTY material.

This is comming from me, who doesn't even look forward to GW2, nor is GW2 a game for me, but i can see the polish behind GW2 and TSW just doesn't have that.

TSW was played a bit too safe on the gameplay side.

I don't know if TSW was played a little too safe.  As of right now, I only saw 1 time where someone gave another the answer to one of the puzzles and the community chewed that person out big time.  If this holds, there won't be a lot of info on the web to get easy answers for these puzzles which I'm sure will cause a lot of people to quit out of frustration.  A lot of people voice how much they hate the current Themepark games that hold your hand all the way to the level cap, but do they really?  This game does not hold anyone's hands which is why I disagree the gameplay was played too safe.

I should have been more specific.

I meant specifically the combat and questing mechanics. Not the quests or combat themselves, but the underlying mechanics.

Its still different from the other MMOs but only by a margin in my opinion.

The combat just feels "choppy" as in "dice-based".

It might be the animations that make it feel so gamey. The combat just reminds me too much of COH or CO (i.e. a safe, tried out solution)

TERA and GW2 give you a different feel of combat entirely.

I feel that Funcom could have gone off the rocker with this game, with a less "familiar" feel to the whole game. Its still solid, dont get me wrong, just not as revolutionary as I would have hoped.

One question that I couldn't find an answer to for example is if the game has co-op puzzles.

Id like to set up my own investigation-gang and go solve mysteries together.

• Originally posted by Searias

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by Searias

I don't know, I played TSW beta last weekend and yesterday I was so excited to play Guild Wars 2 stresstess, but I kept thinking of TSW and couldn't even stand 30 mins of Guild Wars 2's quests.

funny i had the exact opposite feeling.. i wished TSW would incorporate more world DE's would make the game so much more fun..

But, have you ever thought about the point of the dynamic events? I didn't feel intrigued about them, whereas TSW makes you want to know what the quest is all about especially the investigative ones. But, Guild Wars 2 does still have better PVP that is what I am buying GW2 for and not for its PVE.

The investigative stuff in GW2 is completely opaque.  You have to find it yourself.

TSW actually does MORE hand holding.  Finding secrets in GW2 and there are alot of them.  Takes a 100% effort by you and there are no automatic mechanics in the game to help out.

Additionally many secrete areas you probably need help from at least on other person to get through too.

Your problem is you think Gw2 DE and TSW quests are equivalent.  You have mapped it completely wrong.

• LagozLagoz Member Posts: 92

GOTY has already gone to Diablo 3.

If we are only talking about mmorpg's the GOTY will go to GW2. Just because it's madly hyped mainstream MMO that will sell gazillion copies due to being B2P.

TSW will definately be _my_ mmorpg of the year while D3 will be _my_ ARPG of the year.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

GOTY is a title that comes with the money paid by the publisher. Never trust anything other than your own experience playing any game.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Seriously? Are you alright, OP? Do you need us to call an ambulance? Because I think you have a concussion from BUMPING YOUR FRIGGIN' HEAD!

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

It will be a good mmo
    But gw2 will take all the awards / plaudits

If it was released any other time in the last 7 years it would have been mmo of the year though..

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

It is, quite intentionally i think, a niche genre game. I am in beta and impressed, but the genre is not geared for mass appeal.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Originally posted by gestalt11

The investigative stuff in GW2 is completely opaque.  You have to find it yourself.

TSW actually does MORE hand holding.  Finding secrets in GW2 and there are alot of them. 

No there's not.  Trying to say that GW2 can hold a candle to TSW in the investigation department is over reaching at best.  GW2 beats TSW in many categories.  Investigation is not one of them.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Seriously? Are you alright, OP? Do you need us to call an ambulance? Because I think you have a concussion from BUMPING YOUR FRIGGIN' HEAD!

Since you're so aghast at his statement, mind saying what you think will be Game of the Year?  Because I don't think it will win, but I do think it belongs in the running from what I've seen.