Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bold Prediction - The Secret World Will Be Game of The Year.

Comments

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

its sorta like what to expect from michal bay films..EXPLOSIONS! EXPLOSIONS! EXPLOSIONS!

most of us know what to expect from EA + who ever = huge let down

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Originally posted by DannyGlover
    I keep thinking back to the beat up house by the scrapyard. It had a bunch of random hubcaps and animal skulls mounted to one of the outside walls next to the rusty motorcycle with dead weeds tangled in the spokes. The little things like that are all over the place and it makes TSW stand out in the crowd.
    I think that things like that show how much attention and dedication designers have put into their work, loving care and attention to details like that. I noticed it with GW2 and TSW, it really shows. I found it lacking myself in MMO's like SWTOR and Rift, a vibe you get when you wander around in a world.

Thats exactly what it boils down to for me. I enjoy roleplaying in mmos and when a dev studio puts this type of attention to detail in something that most people would just walk right past, it encourages me to put my trust in an immersive world that will be reciprocated. I'll put as much detail into my character's story and so will many others that love a good rp environment. Besides the fact that this isn't sci fi or fantasy, I've been looking forward to roleplaying in a fresh new setting. And this is definitely it.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• gt4980bgt4980b Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by Xstatic912

Originally posted by MindTrigger

The problem with this game is what was left out of it.  So far, though it feels slightly less linear, it just feels like a little better SWTOR, and has little to offer except what is on the surface.  The people who were left ouf of this game were most of the ones who have been excited about it since 2007.  What we have here is a themepark game with weak combat, superficial character development and little or no social / community features that could truly set it apart.

I'll keep my order on, but only because I'm fascinated to see how the game plays out at launch.  If the whole game plays like London and Kingsmouth, they won't be seeing any subscription money from me.

LOL...

I for one don't think this will get MMO of the year, not when NeverWinter is getting good buzz, plus the GW2 hype.. Also isn't it clear they are rushing this to get it out before summer rolls around, because if they delayed it until September or later,  WoW xpac, maybe GW2 & NeverWinter will steal its chance to shine and person will pass it over...

Its clear they are releasing it early and hope to patch quickly later,  ***Cough, Cough*** Its AoC all over again, where rushed launch is concern...

NWN is made by Cryptic.  Its going to have lockboxes and pay to win items(please see recent cash shop where you buy mods to gear).  It will also be unbalanced, lack any endgame and have bad pvp.  They will spend 2 years after release revamping early game content.  It will have a nice character creator and that will be the end.

To OP:  TSW has a great questing system with bad AI, horrible combat and confusing crafting.  People will play it for the story and quests, then put it on the shelf after a couple months.  By December, we won't remember TSW even came out this year.  Please see AOC and AO if you have any doubts.  That is what happened to those games that released in a similar state as TSW.

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179

Just a little subjective impression:

I was bored by SWTOR after about 1 hour (including character creation), long running distances got on my nerves, cut scenes were bland american rubbish, and I quickly thought...oh dear, I'm a fan of Bioware, I want to like this game, but this is just not Star Wars for me.

With TSW I couldn't stop playing for the whole weekend, I still want more, there wqas not a dull moment, cutscenes are excellent with good voiceacting and actually a bit of mature intelligent content.

So anyone comparing TSW to SWTOR I can only say, bring it on, nothing to fear for TSW here.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Originally posted by odinsrath

its sorta like what to expect from michal bay films..EXPLOSIONS! EXPLOSIONS! EXPLOSIONS!

Ya... kinda like waiting in a que to play a single player game.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

I really like the theme and atmosphere in TSW and the storyline seemed pretty good.  However, I really can't get interested in MMORPG's that are based around PVE.  The story will be completed much faster than it can be created.  This is always how it is in MMORPGs.  What does the game do well besides story?  I am a fan of PVP, and not the instanced kind.  I have always played MMORPG's for PVP in a persistant world.  TSW doesn't seem to have much to interest PVP players and that feels like a big mistake to me.  PVP creates its own content, and provides much more challenge than mobs.   I liked the world pvp in AoC but without PVP servers in TSW I don't see the lasting appeal.   If they had PVP servers I'd sub for sure. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• DarkDemon69DarkDemon69 Member Posts: 154

It wont be game oif the year, it wont be popular enough. But it is an outstanding game. Clearly the best out this year in AAA mmos.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by Ulorik

Just a little subjective impression:

I was bored by SWTOR after about 1 hour (including character creation), long running distances got on my nerves, cut scenes were bland american rubbish, and I quickly thought...oh dear, I'm a fan of Bioware, I want to like this game, but this is just not Star Wars for me.

With TSW I couldn't stop playing for the whole weekend, I still want more, there wqas not a dull moment, cutscenes are excellent with good voiceacting and actually a bit of mature intelligent content.

So anyone comparing TSW to SWTOR I can only say, bring it on, nothing to fear for TSW here.

Took me a couple weeks of playing SWTOR to really let it all sink in and get boring.  Some people took months.  It's all subjective, but a lot of people found it boring eventually.  I've learned to give a game the first month before my sub fee hits to impress me.  After that, I'm gone for good.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

I really like the theme and atmosphere in TSW and the storyline seemed pretty good.  However, I really can't get interested in MMORPG's that are based around PVE.  The story will be completed much faster than it can be created.  This is always how it is in MMORPGs.  What does the game do well besides story?  I am a fan of PVP, and not the instanced kind.  I have always played MMORPG's for PVP in a persistant world.  TSW doesn't seem to have much to interest PVP players and that feels like a big mistake to me.  PVP creates its own content, and provides much more challenge than mobs.   I liked the world pvp in AoC but without PVP servers in TSW I don't see the lasting appeal.   If they had PVP servers I'd sub for sure. 

I'm a pvpr, that's all I've done for the last 2 years. I was worried too. I decided to keep a open mind, thinking maybe their system will work. It does. They give you 3 options of game play, and trust me the Fight Clubs are a form of game play. They are beautiful crafted, large too. I think we will be good for awhile with 500 abilites and 3 different forms of game play.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

I keep thinking back to the beat up house by the scrapyard. It had a bunch of random hubcaps and animal skulls mounted to one of the outside walls next to the rusty motorcycle with dead weeds tangled in the spokes. The little things like that are all over the place and it makes TSW stand out in the crowd.

I think that things like that show how much attention and dedication designers have put into their work, loving care and attention to details like that. I noticed it with GW2 and TSW, it really shows. I found it lacking myself in MMO's like SWTOR and Rift, a vibe you get when you wander around in a world.

Thats exactly what it boils down to for me. I enjoy roleplaying in mmos and when a dev studio puts this type of attention to detail in something that most people would just walk right past, it encourages me to put my trust in an immersive world that will be reciprocated. I'll put as much detail into my character's story and so will many others that love a good rp environment. Besides the fact that this isn't sci fi or fantasy, I've been looking forward to roleplaying in a fresh new setting. And this is definitely it.

The problem is, the only elements they have put in for characters to RP and develop themselves outside of the themepark rides, is making the game look phenominal in some places.  Even that isn't the case everywhere.

Look at London.  I think London and all the hub cities should be completely designed around social features and atmosphere.  Right now they are typical themepark cities that have nothing much to offer except faction hubs, training and shops.  There isn't much there to support role playing, IMO.  Roll playing shouldn't have to be completely reliant on one's imagination in an MMORPG.  The game itself should coax people into RP with proper features and community-building as a goal.  I saw none of this.   What I am describing doesn't require this game to be a sandbox either.  It just requires more focus on letting the players develop great characters, rather than having your character shoved down your throat via quests and story line.  SWTOR failed to do this, and while TSW's version is much better, it's still ultimately the same problem.

I also agree that this game is screaming for PvP servers to up the ante.  PvE only is going to get old once you hit max level.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by laserit

fyi waiting in a Q to play a game is a good sign of high pop. unlike 99% of EA "so called mmo" games

why only 99% because the other 1 % is stuck playing the flavor of the month EA game..till they come back and complain how EA has yet again deserted their "so called " game of the year

+ why even compare D3 to an mmorpg..clearly you have no clue

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Bighat: there is fulang projects warzone that is fully persistent and has 4 "keeps" holding each one gives faction wide buffs, holding all 4 an additional buff. It's like a mini WvW without the reset every 2 weeks.

There is a second warzone in development.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Mind:
    Many of the features in London were locked in the open beta. There are some rp things that were disabled - the pub, the open theatre in ealdwick park and the ballroom.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

fyi waiting in a Q to play a game is a good sign of high pop. unlike 99% of EA "so called mmo" games

why only 99% because the other 1 % is stuck playing the flavor of the month EA game..till they come back and complain how EA has yet again deserted their "so called " game of the year

Because waiting in a que to play a single player game  is the same kind of bull as what your spewing.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

The problem is, the only elements they have put in for characters to RP and developmentselves outside of the themepark rides, is making the game look phenominal in some places.  Even that isn't the case everywhere.

Look at London.  I think London and all the hub cities should be completely designed around social features and atmosphere.  Right now they are typical themepark cities that have nothing much to offer except faction hubs, training and shops.  There isn't much there to support role playing, IMO.  Roll playing shouldn't have to be completely reliant on one's imagination in an MMORPG.   

You know what's funny, I have never RP'd in an MMO before. I ran across a Open RP on the TSW forums about 2 months ago. It was about the club The Honored Gaurd in London. I made my first RP post. When I got into the game, and saw the honored gaurd then ran upstairs just like my character did in the role play, I understood. I was blown away.  It was just as I pictured but more complete. 

FC says that role players are very important to them. I'm pretty sure Ragnar (lead dev) role plays. They even put in instanced  theaters for plays and spectators. 

I think I'm gonna give role play ago once or twice.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

The problem is, the only elements they have put in for characters to RP and develop themselves outside of the themepark rides, is making the game look phenominal in some places.  Even that isn't the case everywhere.
    Look at London.  I think London and all the hub cities should be completely designed around social features and atmosphere.  Right now they are typical themepark cities that have nothing much to offer except faction hubs, training and shops.  There isn't much there to support role playing, IMO.  Roll playing shouldn't have to be completely reliant on one's imagination in an MMORPG.  The game itself should coax people into RP with proper features and community-building as a goal.  I saw none of this.   What I am describing doesn't require this game to be a sandbox either.  It just requires more focus on letting the players develop great characters, rather than having your character shoved down your throat via quests and story line.  SWTOR failed to do this, and while TSW's version is much better, it's still ultimately the same problem.
    I also agree that this game is screaming for PvP servers to up the ante.  PvE only is going to get old once you hit max level.

I dont think you and I share the same views on roleplaying in an mmorpg. Besides the fact that others have pointed out multiple stages and activities available for roleplaying, the fact that shops are open and have multiple rooms make for a perfect rp environment. Im talking about markets that you can walk in and through all the way to the storage room. Restaurants that have a kitchen with all the ameneties that you can walk back to. Back alleyways that twist and turn. Lit passageways. Crates and wooden planks that lead to upper areas. Street signs and shops that correlate to directions in the phonebook. I could go on but you get the idea.

To me this is a rp'ers dream. So many unique props and backdrops. Nooks and crannies. Accessible rooms and backways.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

What's with all the EA/Funcom stuff? EA is partnered with Funcom for publishing and Distribution only. They don't fucking own Funcom. So tired of see shit implying otherwise.

Because waiting in a que to play a single player game  is the same kind of bull as what your spewing.

the security is linked somehow its obvious ..D1 / D2 was hacked hardcore with keys ..im sure this is why u cant play single player while multi-co-op is down..i dont rly see why  people keep trying to compare the 2..id rathe rmuch play a 1 player game as you said then play some game made by EA thats seemlessly doomed to fail

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Game of the Year winnings are decided by a successful Launch.

Doesn't even matter if the game has any staying power or longevity.

It just matters how much hype it has and how many people buy it on Day One.

GW2 / Diablo 3... these are games that will auto matically end up on GAme of the Year lists.

Not because they're better (or worse in D3's case)  than The Secret World, but because they're going to have bigger Day One's.

Thats it.  Bold prediction? No, just a hopeless one.

Originally posted by BarCrow

What's with all the EA/Funcom stuff? EA is partnered with Funcom for publishing and Distribution only. They don't fucking own Funcom. So tired of see shit implying otherwise.

if EA is in the name..EA has more pull when push comes to shove..belive that...

the security is linked somehow its obvious ..D1 / D2 was hacked hardcore with keys ..im sure this is why u cant play single player while multi-co-op is down..i dont rly see why  people keep trying to compare the 2..id rathe rmuch play a 1 player game as you said then play some game made by EA thats seemlessly doomed to fail

You talking about Swtor or the Sims? Those are the only 2 mmo's EA has made right?

They have no more pull than you would, if I brought you my package at  the post office. 

Originally posted by bcbully

You talking about Swtor or the Sims? Those are the only 2 mmo's EA has made right?

ya..sure..if those are the only ones you can name..then im done with this flame..you clearly dont know

I dont think you and I share the same views on roleplaying in an mmorpg. Besides the fact that others have pointed out multiple stages and activities available for roleplaying, the fact that shops are open and have multiple rooms make for a perfect rp environment. Im talking about markets that you can walk in and through all the way to the storage room. Restaurants that have a kitchen with all the ameneties that you can walk back to. Back alleyways that twist and turn. Lit passageways. Crates and wooden planks that lead to upper areas. Street signs and shops that correlate to directions in the phonebook. I could go on but you get the idea.

To me this is a rp'ers dream. So many unique props and backdrops. Nooks and crannies. Accessible rooms and backways.

So you don't care about having a myriad of interesting emotes, or gameplay aspects that can go on between players, or mini-games, or anything in the cities that actually makes people want to stay beyond visiting required NPCs.  The problem is that you and a couple other people may end up being the only ones who bother RPing since there is no wider draw to it built into the game.  I wish you all the luck, bud.  If all you need is a chat bubble and a room to RP in, then you are set.  I personally would like to see some game mechanics thrown in.

Originally posted by bcbully

They have no more pull than you would, if I brought you my package at  the post office. 

if they didnt have any backing from EA this game wouldnt even be being tested right now or complete..you do relize that EA more than likely intrused them with millions of dollars to slap EA on their box..that hlped fund this game