Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bold Prediction - The Secret World Will Be Game of The Year.

Comments

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by bcbully

Let me start by saying, I don't think TSW will have the number of players GW2 will have maybe not even the amount Tera has. TSW appeals to a certain taste, an aquired taste if you will. TSW does that taste oh so well, better than any mmo to date.  The ability to create this dish will garner Funcom & TSW critical acclaim much like  "Slum Dog Millionair"  did in the film industry.

Like the taste or not, there is something very special in TSW, something different.  The Devil is in the details my friends, and the Devil is in TSW.

I'm a fan of the game but i don't realistically see TSW as a GOTY, not even in the MMO space.

GW2 and TERA are solid additions to the market and as deserving of mention. Especially with GW2, if it is released this year, the title would go to GW2 hands down. 

GW2 innovates more than TSW does in areas that were stagnant for quite a while, for that alone its GOTY material.

This is comming from me, who doesn't even look forward to GW2, nor is GW2 a game for me, but i can see the polish behind GW2 and TSW just doesn't have that.

TSW was played a bit too safe on the gameplay side.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by AdamTM

Let me start by saying, I don't think TSW will have the number of players GW2 will have maybe not even the amount Tera has. TSW appeals to a certain taste, an aquired taste if you will. TSW does that taste oh so well, better than any mmo to date.  The ability to create this dish will garner Funcom & TSW critical acclaim much like  "Slum Dog Millionair"  did in the film industry.

Like the taste or not, there is something very special in TSW, something different.  The Devil is in the details my friends, and the Devil is in TSW.

I'm a fan of the game but i don't realistically see TSW as a GOTY, not even in the MMO space.

GW2 and TERA are solid additions to the market and as deserving of mention. Especially with GW2, if it is released this year, the title would go to GW2 hands down. 

GW2 innovates more than TSW does in areas that were stagnant for quite a while, for that alone its GOTY material.

This is comming from me, who doesn't even look forward to GW2, nor is GW2 a game for me, but i can see the polish behind GW2 and TSW just doesn't have that.

TSW was played a bit too safe on the gameplay side.

I don't know if TSW was played a little too safe.  As of right now, I only saw 1 time where someone gave another the answer to one of the puzzles and the community chewed that person out big time.  If this holds, there won't be a lot of info on the web to get easy answers for these puzzles which I'm sure will cause a lot of people to quit out of frustration.  A lot of people voice how much they hate the current Themepark games that hold your hand all the way to the level cap, but do they really?  This game does not hold anyone's hands which is why I disagree the gameplay was played too safe.

• AbdullaDooAbdullaDoo Member Posts: 60

I have to agree with the OP.

One of TSW's target audiences is people who like to think they're really smart.

That characteristic applies to all the people who write major reviews and vote for the awards.

^_^

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Thiis thread will be "Worst headline of the year" :p

I agree with OP, TSW is certainly not going to be game of the year, mostly because of the very reasons in OP.

Let me also add the Funcom haters with a score to settle. Nope, no game of the year.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

I don't know if TSW was played a little too safe.  As of right now, I only saw 1 time where someone gave another the answer to one of the puzzles and the community chewed that person out big time.  

Really? Because I saw people doing that all weekend. Hell, I was giving the answers to a lot of folks myself but I reserved it to tells to respect those that may have wanted to still find out the info on their own. Can't say many others were doing that though.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by AbdullaDoo

That characteristic applies to all the people who write major reviews and vote for the awards.

^_^

I have to agree with this somewhat, over the last couple of days there have been quite a few TSW fans with a massive Napoleon complex stuck right in their [mod edit]

Originally posted by Alot

I have to agree with this somewhat, over the last couple of days there have been quite a few TSW fans with a massive Napoleon complex stuck right in their [mod edit]

Yep.

Unfortunately. Does seem to be attracting those that tend to go over the top helping and providing info for others too though. Looks like it may attract both extremes really.

Gotta take the good with the bad I suppose.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

It won't.

I wish it did.

It would take miracles to fix the myriad of problems with gameplay.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

I don't know if TSW was played a little too safe.  As of right now, I only saw 1 time where someone gave another the answer to one of the puzzles and the community chewed that person out big time.  

Really? Because I saw people doing that all weekend. Hell, I was giving the answers to a lot of folks myself but I reserved it to tells to respect those that may have wanted to still find out the info on their own. Can't say many others were doing that though.

Use /tell for that kind of stuff, please, or I'll chew you out big time!

EDIT: yes, I did read your post -after posting my reply.

Originally posted by Bjelar

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Use /tell for that kind of stuff, please, or I'll chew you out big time!

-_-

Hence what I said in red.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by AbdullaDoo

^_^

haha and that too! :)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

This may be the one year where I personally have 2 games of the year.  GW2 and TSW.  What the rest of the gaming populace decides, who knows.  Guess it depends on launch and post launch perception.

8/2/2012 edit:  Guess I was wrong.  Honeymoon period is over and this game fails to keep me.  It's lacking that magic/sense of discovery factor.  Next stop.  GW2.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Funcom + EA...    I'd say your prediction was past 'bold' and right into 'Oh, look at the flying rainbow unicorn.  Maybe I shouldn't have eaten those mushrooms growing in the garden....'

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143

to the OP - reported for being outrageously offensive -game of the year you reckon? no way....

What TSW does, it does so poorly, giving an award to a game that is a poor implementation of its own idea would be a terrible thing.

An award for innovation - sure but I do not believe it will be polished to the degree it should be for release - its clunky.

It may have a few good ideas but that does not make it game of the year....

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

TSW definitely has something. I'm playing a couple other games these days, yet my mind will drift to TSW and a couple missions I didn't finish last weekend. The hook was well set in a game I didn't expect to like.

Go figure.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

A merge of Funcom+EA=worst company in the world award.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

wont play it because it says EA on the the box and funcom isn't much better.

If they ever decide to make a Misery 2 it definitely has to be an mmo gamer holding a game developer hostage. So many examples they could use on these forums alone.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Since we're predicting things here...

I predict, and I am an unabashed GW2 fanboi, that GW2 will decimate the competition by year's end. Tera will have less than 100k subs, TSW will be a flash in the pan at most and it won't ever top 500k subs and will decline rapidly, SWTOR, well it is SWTOR after all lol, it'll have 200k subs, and WoW will hold steadily and it'll actually have a spike in subs for 2 or 3 months when MoP goes live. GW2 will sell something like 7 million copies in its first 2 years, and it'll have sold 4 million copies by the end of the year with no sign of slowing down.

Mark it down yeah!

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The problem with this game is what was left out of it.  So far, though it feels slightly less linear, it just feels like a little better SWTOR, and has little to offer except what is on the surface.  The people who were left ouf of this game were most of the ones who have been excited about it since 2007.  What we have here is a themepark game with weak combat, superficial character development and little or no social / community features that could truly set it apart.

I'll keep my order on, but only because I'm fascinated to see how the game plays out at launch.  If the whole game plays like London and Kingsmouth, they won't be seeing any subscription money from me.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I keep thinking back to the beat up house by the scrapyard. It had a bunch of random hubcaps and animal skulls mounted to one of the outside walls next to the rusty motorcycle with dead weeds tangled in the spokes. The little things like that are all over the place and it makes TSW stand out in the crowd.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by MosesZD

Funcom + EA...    I'd say your prediction was past 'bold' and right into 'Oh, look at the flying rainbow unicorn.  Maybe I shouldn't have eaten those mushrooms growing in the garden....'

I can never get it how people can let past experiences fully determine how they regard a company from then onwards till eternity, and not judge its products on their own merits. Too black & white thinking imo.

There were a number of EA games I quite enjoyed in the course of past years, Battlefield 3 comes to mind as well as others. I generally don't really care about a publisher, just about the games: if I dislike a company, I still can play and enjoy its games to full enjoyment with not giving its company another thought, if I like a company, I don't automatically buy all its games thinking they must be heaven on earth. I just judge games on their own merits.

As for Dreamfall, The Longest Journey, and AoC, all Funcom games, I had a blast of a time in all of them, but even if I hadn't and would have despised those games, then I would still be able to judge TSW on its own merits, no matter what company would have developed it.

Whether his prediction comes true or not, depends on how TSW will be, not what company or publisher is behind it. I myself am into games, not into companies or publishers. TSW has a very distinctive flavor and I find it better than a lot of other AAA MMO's of the past years, for me there's only 1 I like more the rest I find less. But it's also missing some elements that would elevate it clearly, unquestionably on top of the heap as undisputed best MMO of the past years.

So although I think TSW will be more enjoyable than most other AAA MMO's of the past 2-3 years, I don't agree with the OP; but that has 0% to do with whatever company or publisher is behind the game. Personally I couldn't care less, but that's me.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by MindTrigger

The problem with this game is what was left out of it.  So far, though it feels slightly less linear, it just feels like a little better SWTOR, and has little to offer except what is on the surface.  The people who were left ouf of this game were most of the ones who have been excited about it since 2007.  What we have here is a themepark game with weak combat, superficial character development and little or no social / community features that could truly set it apart.

I'll keep my order on, but only because I'm fascinated to see how the game plays out at launch.  If the whole game plays like London and Kingsmouth, they won't be seeing any subscription money from me.

It's on! ;)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I keep thinking back to the beat up house by the scrapyard. It had a bunch of random hubcaps and animal skulls mounted to one of the outside walls next to the rusty motorcycle with dead weeds tangled in the spokes. The little things like that are all over the place and it makes TSW stand out in the crowd.

I think that things like that show how much attention and dedication designers have put into their work, loving care and attention to details like that. I noticed it with GW2 and TSW, it really shows. I found it lacking myself in MMO's like SWTOR and Rift, a vibe you get when you wander around in a world.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by MindTrigger

LOL...

I for one don't think this will get MMO of the year, not when NeverWinter is getting good buzz, plus the GW2 hype.. Also isn't it clear they are rushing this to get it out before summer rolls around, because if they delayed it until September or later,  WoW xpac, maybe GW2 & NeverWinter will steal its chance to shine and person will pass it over...

Its clear they are releasing it early and hope to patch quickly later,  ***Cough, Cough*** Its AoC all over again, where rushed launch is concern...