Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bold Prediction - The Secret World Will Be Game of The Year.

Comments

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

MMO of the year will go to GW2 by popular demand. I would guess that TSW will have a smaller but loyal fanbase like EvE.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

I actually think it's a possibility.  I was pleasantly impressed with TSW.  Bugs aside, the game itself has tremendous potential. They've set the story up very well - you have no idea what's going to happen next.  What's the logevity? Nobody can predict, but for this year - the game is looking pretty good so far.  It has the potential to beat GW2 as game of the year but only if it's launched without major flub ups. 

My vote will most likely be Guild Wars 2, but to be honest - the lack of release date is bothering me more and more.  Now that Anet has my money, what's their motivation to release sooner than later?  By hovering beta weekends over our heads, they are selling tons and tons of boxes.   TSW, on the other hand, kept a lid on almost everything until they were almost ready to launch.  This allowed for a greater surprise from beta testers. I went in with a fairly negative attiude toward Funcom games and was very surprised at how good my first impression was.  

The longer GW2 waits to release, and the longer we go without a release date (while they're selling box after box) may influence the populace to sour a bit toward Anet and begin to favor Funcom and TSW.  

It's going to be an interesting summer for sure.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I haven't played TSW so i can't comment.  However, I have played GW2 and if it releases this year, it gets my vote.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Originally posted by DannyGlover

MMO of the year will go to GW2 by popular demand. I would guess that TSW will have a smaller but loyal fanbase like EvE.

McD's(GW2 is not that I don't think) is popular too, but it aint winning no cooking awards.. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

It's amazing that people found any of the tasks in TSW challenging in anyway. I guess that's why we'll never get to see truly challenging, mystery solving level of content.

Let me guess, people found the password on the PC was 'Vivaldi', they saw the hymn number in the church and rank those as being intellectually challenging? We were barely paying attention and 'solved' every thing thrown at us with ease. 

There was never a sense of anything so challenging that solving it was rewarding.

What kind of people are actually finding these tasks challenging?

It's a side rant, but seriously, no wonder we get such dumbed down crap when, apparently, 'TSW' mentally challenges the average player.

The setting was just about all this game had going for it, levels disguised as skill levels, sloppy combat and the same fed-ex & kill tasks (complete with giant arrows showing you where to go) we've had shoved in our faces since 2004.

It could become a good game in time, but it's not deserving of any awards at the moment.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Valkaern

It's amazing that people found any of the tasks in TSW challenging in anyway. I guess that's why we'll never get to see truly challenging, mystery solving level of content.

Let me guess, people found the password on the PC was 'Vivaldi', they saw the hymn number in the church and rank those as being intellectually challenging? We were barely paying attention and 'solved' every thing thrown at us with ease. 

There was never a sense of anything so challenging that solving it was rewarding.

What kind of people are actually finding these tasks challenging?

It's a side rant, but seriously, no wonder we get such dumbed down crap when, apparently, 'TSW' mentally challenges the average player.

The setting was just about all this game had going for it, levels disguised as skill levels, sloppy combat and the same fed-ex & kill tasks (complete with giant arrows showing you where to go) we've had shoved in our faces since 2004.

It could become a good game in time, but it's not deserving of any awards at the moment.

agree here,  I never found one quest challenging in my time in kingsmouth. I actually didn't even pay attention to most cutscenes because I did'nt want to spoil them if I play at launch. Overall I just like the setting and the skill wheel, I found most of them very lackluster overall and some just were annoying and honestly not fun at all..

I feel the arrow leading you the way is the worst thing of all really takes the sense of any sort of adventure out of the game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Valkaern

So there are, lets see here 9x2 = 18. 18 x 13 = 234 levels by your thinking... 

edit - Plus 500 abilities remember you get no abilities for improving skil. so that brings us to around 734 levels by your way of thinking.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

That is bold.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
  • DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Why is it important to pretend that the game has no levels? Sure, your character is not a "level 5 mage" BUT the items that drop are broken down into tiers, and the tiers have different stat ranges.

As you complete quests, they earn experience. The experience gives you SP and AP to spend.

In order to equip higher tiered items, you have to have earned enough points to buy those skills. This is true of weapons, headgear, necklace and rings, all of the items that have stats.

If you try to go into an area that is designed for people using tier 3 gear while you're still in tier 1, you will most likely die.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Sure ..i didn't rack my brains for hours on end and break out in a sweat of exasperation... but some of the problems were clever and took a little thought. More so than any other MMO today.  I found them enjoyable and a decent change of pace. Yes many quests are kill quests....kind of expected during the apocalypse.

Anyone that didnt find the investigation/puzzle missions just a bit challenging were probably the ones spamming chat for the answers.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

My bold prediction is F2P in 6 months. I like the game. It's different enough to be fun for awhile. I just don't think it will hold any long term interest and Funcom likes the F2P model so once the box sales stop they will switch it up.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I prefer gw2, but both are great mmos that manage to be themeparks without being lazy wow clones.. you wait 10 years for a good themepark mmo and two come along at once.

Regarding pvp balance, how can it be unbalanced when everyone can pick whatever skills they like in their deck, if your deck don't work, pick a better deck.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Why is it important to pretend that the game has no levels? Sure, your character is not a "level 5 mage" BUT the items that drop are broken down into tiers, and the tiers have different stat ranges.

In order to equip higher tiered items, you have to have earned enough points to buy those skills. This is true of weapons, headgear, necklace and rings, all of the items that have stats.

If you try to go into an area that is designed for people using tier 3 gear while you're still in tier 1, you will most likely die.

so you missed my first response about there would be 730 levels by you way of thinking I see.. 

Couple things here

1. The skill points were added earlier this year, so that I couldn't give you the best gear in game the moment you pop out of creation. 

2. I could have a tier 10 shotgun and tier 1 head.

There is vertical progression but it is very flat and not linear. A person in t3 purple may be strong (power wise) than a person in t8 greens. I get your point, but it is very hard to call skill points levels.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh and not so bold prediction:
    Tsw will out sell tera
  • JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

I have explored every inch of kingsmouth and have finished every quest except for the group quest which hopefully I'll knock out tonight.  The game has me hooked and i'm pretty certain I'll pay the $200 for lifer.  There are so many different kinds of quests in this game that the couple of kill y, z amount of times is hardly noticeable.  And more on that point... I remember having to kill 4 of a certain mob, but the way they did it was totally unique!  Each mob looked the same but had a diffent name and had a different fighting style (think of Tera where u learn how the mob wants to attack and you beat them to the punch by moving out of place at a certain time).  It's like having to kill 4 wolves but each wolf has a different way of attacking, therefore each encounter is slightly different.

I can't wait to go in more detail once the NDA is lifted.  Also I want to bring up the point that there really isn't a reason to form a team until you get to the group quest because only 10% at most is instanced.  When 90% or more of the game is open world and everyone gets credit for their quest if they participated, even though they didn't get the first shot off on a mob, there's really no need to form a group.  This may not fit for a fantasy game, but it works extremely well for a game in the Real Life category.  If there were really an outbreak in my town or city, if I see someone being attacked by a zombie, I'm going to help them.  If I see someone being chased by a 10 foot monster and I have a shot gun in my hand, I'm gonna shot that s.o.b.  We don't need to be teammates in order for me to lend that guy or gal a hand.  That's real life, and that's the Secret World.

Many times I've helped people while on my way to solve a puzzle or mystery and many times people have helped me while on their way.  A couple of times I was at the same boss location as someone else and we tag teamed the boss, and we both got credit for the kill.  In a sense, everyone in the open world is on the same team.  You just don't have to wait around for a half an hour to form one.  I love this way of game play and have been waiting for quite some time for it to be done in this way.  

I'm not sure if TSW will out sell GW2 or Tera because the puzzles and mysteries will only grab hold of a certain group of role players, but TSW certainly will have my vote for GOTY.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Searias

I don't know, I played TSW beta last weekend and yesterday I was so excited to play Guild Wars 2 stresstess, but I kept thinking of TSW and couldn't even stand 30 mins of Guild Wars 2's quests.

That is really strange..i logged in to gw2 and five minutes later i logged out.i could'nt put my finger on it,maybe just one of those days,but like you i keep thinking about the game.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Famine...is that you?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by bcbully

Originally posted by Charlizzard

so you missed my first response about there would be 730 levels by you way of thinking I see.. 

Couple things here

1. The skill points were added earlier this year, so that I couldn't give you the best gear in game the moment you pop out of creation. 

2. I could have a tier 10 shotgun and tier 1 head.

There is vertical progression but it is very flat and not linear. A person in t3 purple may be strong (power wise) than a person in t8 greens. I get your point, but it is very hard to call skill points levels.

I'm not calling skill points levels. What I am saying is that they have moved traditional "levels" from the character to the gear. And this is fine, I have no problem with it. They had to figure out some system for "progression" but it is false, as some people have claimed, that you can go anywhere and do anything in this game. There is a loose "progression/leveling" path, it's more like leveling areas and less linear than some games.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by Aerowyn

I don't know, I played TSW beta last weekend and yesterday I was so excited to play Guild Wars 2 stresstess, but I kept thinking of TSW and couldn't even stand 30 mins of Guild Wars 2's quests.

funny i had the exact opposite feeling.. i wished TSW would incorporate more world DE's would make the game so much more fun..

But, have you ever thought about the point of the dynamic events? I didn't feel intrigued about them, whereas TSW makes you want to know what the quest is all about especially the investigative ones. But, Guild Wars 2 does still have better PVP that is what I am buying GW2 for and not for its PVE.

I played through most of kingsmouth and most tiered quest basically end up being kill x quests. For instance the one you kill the "named" mobs all over the map is basically just running all over to kill one guy. Then the one you go to the beach to kill those ugliys the next tier kill 4 more of these other guys who are right next to the ones you just killed , next tier kill 4 more and so on. Many many quests in TSW are like this, some aren't and there are lots of fun ones like using the differn't ammo such as landmines to blowup zombies but overall I had a ton more fun running around and joining DE's in GW2 than i did running around kingsmouth.. I also found no one in TSW wanted to group much but had not a single issue joining up and fighting in groups in GW2 right away.. GW2 is just put together more in a way to encourage people to play together.. TSW i soloed almost all of kingsmouth and didn't even see a reason to group up expect for the instance

oh and TSW pvp from what I have played is pretty awful.. also some MAJOR imbalances with certain builds but guess that's expected with so many options, Rift has this issue with the soul builds and I'm sure this game will suffer from the same problems.

Every quest in any game is going to boil down to kill this, pick up that, touch this, move that. It's your presentation and the way in which you incorporate the players imagination that counts. DE's are essentially (when bareboned) kill this infestation, bring back the apples. It's how they've included the infestation that matters. Just like in Skyrim it's how they present go kill the bad-guys, it's your reasoning for killing those bad-guys that matters. IN TSW it's the intrigue of following the plot just like a typical hidden object, solve the puzzle adventure game which is where TSW seems to borrow from in a lot of ways. Given teh Game director that comes as no surprise.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Famine...is that you?

hahahaha 

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

this is how i felt when i saw the title of thread...

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by bcbully

Let me start by saying, I don't think TSW will have the number of players GW2 will have maybe not even the amount Tera has. TSW appeals to a certain taste, an aquired taste if you will. TSW does that taste oh so well, better than any mmo to date.  The ability to create this dish will garner Funcom & TSW critical acclaim much like  "Slum Dog Millionair"  did in the film industry.

Like the taste or not, there is something very special in TSW, something different.  The Devil is in the details my friends, and the Devil is in TSW.

Tera dont even have a lot of people playing it, 11 servers where just 2 of them are ¨heavy¨. and gw2 is B2P, after 15 days, only the hardcore players or fan from gw1 will be playing. 

• DreddeDredde Member Posts: 28

Was blown away by this game :) Ive been playing mmos over 15 years, started with EQ. Been in all the big ones. This is the best experience ive had so far :) Absolutly loved it, just canseled 2 subs (swtor and dcuo) and canceled my GW2 order. Now I just need to play the waiting game and its suck :s

Originally posted by odinsrath

this is how i felt when i saw the title of thread...

this is how I feel when I'm about to login.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP4Vtv1srUM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLC7AA34B699D2DA1C