Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help deciding which mmorpg to get?

I am very new to this mmorpg realm. I have played games for over 15 years now mainly consoles. I just got my SWG my first mmorpg and I loved the interaction with all the charcter but hated the lack of gameplay.

SWG you can not gain levels, someone who has played for 2 years has the same health as someone who just started.

Once you master your battle abilites you have nothing to do. You dont get item drops from mosnters, so the gameplay goes stale rather quickly.

I loved diabloii fo rthe simple fact of gaining lvls and find that one creature that dropped a unique item.

Right now i am trying to find another mmorpg. What do you guys suggest. I have read up on Dark Ages of Camelot and AnarchyOnline. What game do you feel is the best and why.

Just trying to get going on another mmorpg. Also my game style preference is either a combat magician or an archer.

Thanks

Comments

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

daoc

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• SelekSelek Member Posts: 236

I feel the very same about SWG, canceled it myself.

Anarchy online is great. 200 levels. New good mission system that give you and or your group a dungeon made just for you (with uberloot and all). AO also has my favorite style of any mmorpg. And a really good story if you get into it. Also Shadowlands just came out. the new expansion.

Dark Age of Camelot is also a great game. 50 levels. Alot of camping spawns for loot and gold. The style of the game, aswell as the game itself changes from Realm to Realm.  i'll quote the offical site: "Each Realm is geographically diverse from one another and follow a specific mythological tradition. Albion is the land of King Arthur's heirs. Hibernia is based on Irish Celtic legends, with a dash of high fantasy. Midgard follows the Viking Norse sagas and legends."The realms are at war and you pick your world to live in, and fight for your realm if you want to.

Also, you may want to look into Everquest. They added a new server called "Stormm" its for new players. Im playing on it now myself. Last week I saw 29 players in a noob zone alone. EQ has 65 levels, and a big big world to explore and hunt in. There is alot of spawn camping, but they just added a mission system.

So out of the 3 games, I would pick AO with EQ coming up right behind it. DAoC is the kinda game you can play for months, AO and EQ I can play for years.

Edit: I should add, AO is somewhat better for the "hardcore" mmorpg player. easy to gimp yourself and very complex skill system. EQ is kinda the same, but not nearly as bad. DAoC is easy!! if you gimp youself in daoc, somthings really wrong with you. So what im saying is, if your a really casual player, daoc may be the game for you.

-Selek

-Selek

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467

I hear you guys and totally agree on SWG, I've posted enough flames about it so I'll just say it is a HUGE dissappointment.

That said, I believe the next wave of mmorpgs will be promissing.  WoW and Horizons especially come to mind.  There is a certain "slump" in mmorpgs right now.  For me- I really don't want to join a game that has been out so long that everyone has mastered/analyzed/categorized every aspect of the game.  I feel that I'm a dunce in a society of experts- I just don't want to start that far behind (this is solely my opinion and I know others will differ)

The newer mmogs that have came out seem like they've been rushed to market and uncomplete.  I understand there is a state of time for the game to get acclaimated to the abundance of new playser, aka server strength etc.., but still some games clearly are just not fit to be thrown on the market as of yet.

The only solution I can see is to simply wait on some of the future games to come out and see if they suck just as bad.  If they do, I'll just be forced to lower my standards.  Hopefully they won't.

And now.....

Heeeeeeerrrrrreees Djin or Adim to give us their signature posts telling us to check the over one hundred game list they have on this very site image

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Everquest is a great game if you got the time for it .

Maybe if I have not played it so long i would consider a fresh character start but otherwise a good game any day.

Might want to look into DAoC i found it to be a better game then AO myself.

I agree SWG was a dissappointment  because game industries listen too much nowadays to the public.

Now if you look at everquest which was notorious back then for not caring for public input they made a damn good game that nearly half a million still play.

People kept screaming for them not to make a EQ in space.Instead we have a UO in space and i would rather have had EQ in space anyday.

SWG is heading to the point it will feel so much like UO with loads of meaniless houses around and a thousand people sitting outside the bank all day long.

• erroroccurederroroccured Member Posts: 2

Thanks for all the help. I guess, I'll be stuck waiting for the next mmorpg to come out. I usually solo and only group if it is one of my friends.

That said, I am looking at EQ2, this way I can get a fresh start with someone else.

I doubt I can wait that long so I'll have to find some RPG out there to tide me over until 2004, now the questions is which one. Maybeffxi who knows. I need something to pass the time until Eq2 finally arrives or world of Warcragft.

See ya

thanks

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

I was also in your position figuring out which MMORPG to get, but it seems the new ones are terrible. I myself unfortunatly got swg and canceled after the free trial from, you guessed it, lack of gameplay and about 34 other reasons.. The games that are fairly good are a bit too old(DAoC, EQ,UO). The best bet is buy a different game (not an MMORPG) and when decent games like EQ2 or WoW come out get them, and by that time you will have money saved for whatever you want to buy, wether its a new graphics card or just money to afford the monthly pay.

I myself just bought BattleField : 1942 and i have great time playing that, and will hopefully eat away time until a real mmorpg comes out.

Homer-"let the bears pay the bear tax, but i pay the Homer tax."
    Lisa-"Dad, that's the homeOWNERS tax!"
    Homer-"Whatever I'll be at Moes."

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

That is assuming EQ2 and WoW will be good.

I remember everyone shouting shadowbane will rock and SWG will rock.

Best bet is to keep trying till one hits your fancy.

Ok horizons you are next !