Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mage or Warlock

me and my friends have decided to all be undead so we can help each other when we start

im going to be a mage or warlock

i want to know what is better for me

i like to do high damage without taking much

not have to worry about losing mana

be good at pvp

Comments

• KoddoKoddo Member Posts: 151

well, if you want a good pvp character, just roll horde and pick shaman, cause everyone else is, not to mention they are overpowered.

but if your intent upon mage or lock, mage would prob be better. i have a 34 lock and it's a pain, but since i like the idea of subjugating demons and things like that, i'm sticking with him. but i'm not crazy about pvp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The pen is mightier than the sword, and authority is mightier than the pen, but the sword is mightier than authority.

If you can't beat 'em, hold 'em off 'till you come up with a better plan.

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

Ok I will try to explain this the best I can.

Mage

HIGH elemental damage
    Teleport to the big/main cities(org, UC, TB)
    Alot of nice instant DD spells

Warlock

Alot of Drains/DoT spells
    Summons Imps, succubus, infernal, voidwalkers and can control demons
    Get free mounts

They are both good for pvp, just depends how you really play both of these classes, becasue if your good and smart then almost nothign can take you out. But if you just fool around then your not gonna make a very good or effective caster.

---------------------------------------------
    WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
    "If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura

• aaronoaarono Member Posts: 110
    I personally like the Warlock better. I like his abilities/spells, really has an evil touch and makes you feel like you can make a mighty warrior into a little kid.
  • ekkeekke Member UncommonPosts: 67

Mage is better,

reason I have a LVL 59 lock and my wife have a 59 mage, her dmg is almost double mine, so for pvp definitly mage.

locks got more log term dmg, stuff that take up to 20 sec and so on so if you want to kill slow a lock is the way to go but in PvP you want a fast kill.

my max crit was around 1350, the mage does not crit as much but does more constant dmg.

sry about my spelling

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Warlocks and mages have to stay at range :)

I'd chose Warlock tho purely for the ammount of spell and your pet!

Don't click here...no2

• BigxBigx Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by Koddo

well, if you want a good pvp character, just roll horde and pick shaman, cause everyone else is, not to mention they are overpowered.
    but if your intent upon mage or lock, mage would prob be better. i have a 34 lock and it's a pain, but since i like the idea of subjugating demons and things like that, i'm sticking with him. but i'm not crazy about pvp.

Let me guess you are a pally or ne rogue? My god learn to play your char.  Any char can kill another.  It is 75% of the person behind the keyboard.   Lets get real now.  Plate, heals and immune shield.  That is not overpowered?  The shaman is on the low end of the mana with no mana rejuve like some class.  The shaman is a offensive power house with good burst dps but not long lasting.  The pally is a defensive juggernaught. Enough of that.

Mage is the master of getting out of the way if needed and high dps.  Frost nova and blink can almost get the mage out of range.  The mage creates distance and nuke from there. The warlock tends to take more damage and fewer escapes and he or she relies on keeping people off him or her.  Using pet or fear.  There pets are no push over either.  They are both good just different play styles.  Lets not forget that the warlock doesnt need to farm for his mount.  Pally and warlocks get free mounts at 40th lvl.

• BeaNo999BeaNo999 Member UncommonPosts: 63

Originally posted by ekke
    Mage is better,
    reason I have a LVL 59 lock and my wife have a 59 mage, her dmg is almost double mine, so for pvp definitly mage.
    locks got more log term dmg, stuff that take up to 20 sec and so on so if you want to kill slow a lock is the way to go but in PvP you want a fast kill.
    my max crit was around 1350, the mage does not crit as much but does more constant dmg.

sry about my spelling

Once u get to lvl 60 and if you spend your talents right and collect good + dmg gear then at end game warlocks can easily out dmg mages. Mages can do quite a bit of burst dmg with there instant cast spells, but when u get down to it warlocks can out nuke them easily. But while lvlling up a mage will generally out dmg a warlock quite a bit.

If your going undead, roll a warlock. Least played class, alot of fun and with the patch notes on the test server now theres alot of viable templates for you to play around with. Being undead you won't have to deal with WoTF so your defense spells work well (excluding pvp trinket). Both classes have ways of keeping mana up (mages can spec for evocation and warlocks get life tap). If you plan on lvlling in a group both have advantages, mages can make water and have polymorph, warlocks have there pets (reasonable tanking one/succubus has seduce for cc/imp has health buff plus you also have soulstones and healthstones).

The major disadvantage of a warlock is u will need a mage friend for water, and to pvp u need soulshards, which u can get from pvp but to farm u need mobs. (Shards problem is mainly an end game problem).

To the poster above, 75% the player rofl.

• VicerynViceryn Member Posts: 177

from the message you posted i am going to have to say hands down a mage. the reasons are...

mage's do extremely high damage. i have an alt who is a mage and i went with the fire line and i have A LOT of equipment that inceases fire damage. the damage output is amazing. as for the mana, you have unlimited amounts of water/food that you can conjure for free. that is always a good thing. in pvp, you are a very solid char. you cant take much damage, but you can kill the enemy before he gives you a run for your money in most cases.

as for the warlock, they are mainly a PvE. some people say they are ok now for PvP but i disagree. if you are in battlegrounds or something and you run out of soul stones, you are SOL. you dont do as much damage as the mage (maybe you can if you increase your shadow damage output) and you cant make free water.

so, from what you are looking for. i would definately go mage. plus at level 20 you can teleport to major cities for about 10 silver a pop. really helps when you want to get somewhere in a hurry.

::::20:: enjoy...