Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic Gozer says STO's PVP is fail

CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Article is

Here

Just remove the PVP already and be done with it. We all know nothing will be done with pvp, and if there is, it will be very little.

Gozers actual post on the forums.

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Ouch.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Well at least he's being honest with himself and everyone else about it. That's usually the first step to getting things fixed properly.

Unlike say, another scifi MMO developer *coughbiowarecough* which doesn't seem to want to admit that there's a problem in the first place, and therefore won't do jack shit to fix it.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Well at least he's being honest with himself and everyone else about it.

Yes, yes at least there's that. :P

Originally posted by Rednecksith
    which doesn't seem to want to admit that there's a problem in the first place, and therefore won't do jack shit to fix it.

Was it also Gozer that said there was no content drought for nearly a year? That sounds sort of like not addressing or avoiding a problem to me.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

You know, me, as a player that left in anger 3-4 months after release of STO and coming back very recently to look at it, and seeing the current state of PvP, I can agree with the dev post.  PvP was all I really lived for when I initially started the game because I was primarily a KDF player.  I was expecting improvements when I came back to check it out.

Oh, and the Failsauce of PvP speaks very badly for 2 things outside of PvPers in general.

1.  The Klingons - This faction, when the game was released, was blatantly stuffed into our faces that their only purpose is PvP.  To the point where there was literally nothing else to do but PvP when the game came out.  KDF players asked for more things just to even it out with the much more richly developed Federation, but we were told to STFU since we were only a "PvP faction."  More generic quests have been implemented, but you cannot tell me the overall experience with the KDF is on par with the Federation one.

2.  Future races - This puts into question the possibility of future races / factions.  Simply put, if Cryptic cannot make it enticing enough for one of the original, classic factions of Star Trek, that has alot of history to play, this doesn't bode well for future implementation on the Romulans, Dominion, etc.  When I came back, I was surprised to still see the Klingons still stuck in the same general sectors compared to the far more wide ranging locales of the Federation.  The Klingons have a very long history dancing around with the Federation, yet Cryptic has not made the Klingon experience on equal footing to the Federation.  And the Romulans, who have a rich ST history ever since TOS would be left out to dry as a hollow faction if ever done, just like the KDF.  Dominion?  Will never get the chance.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Ive never seen such a candid dev post. Kinda cool in the "its still shitty cause its STO" way. I cant wait for a new Star Trek MMO. Hopefully in 5 years or so they will make a really fun co-operative based Starship Sim game where all the players interact on a bridge like a real crew and go on missions and solve puzzles together. Man would that be fun!

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

A typical mea culpa Cryptic post. You see these every once in a while since STO launched. There are obviously problems at STO F2P and they are attempting to maintain interest in the game. His statement basically boils down to, since STO's launch pvp has been something we've ignored. I've had this can kicked into my office and told to find a way to increase interest while generating a revenue stream from it. It's a long post, meant to mollify and decieve. 

Ths line I find most telling is : " Here is an example..

I see lots of threads about KDF players having access to gear that FED players do not. This isn’t going to be a problem in the new system since their will not be any FED vs KDF PVP. All PVP in the new system will be cross faction queues. "

It is becoming obvious that Cryptic is abandoing the 2 faction aspect of the game. Definitely in PvP and more slowly in PvE. The pretense that this is a 2 faction game will slowly disappear. The game is being simplified and moving into a stasis mode, where content will only be introduced through the C-Store in the future.

It appears the faction in Cryptic that believed this should be a single faction game has triumphed. A few end game missions should suffice to tie it up and end in continual war game simulations.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Cacaphony

Article is

Here

Just remove the PVP already and be done with it. We all know nothing will be done with pvp, and if there is, it will be very little.

Gozers actual post on the forums.

/sigh... it scares me what these guys will do to Neverwinter :/

The shame of it all is that their game engine is actually pretty ok... it's just their greed fuelling EVERY decision constantly that seems to screw them up.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

It was an honest answer and we all knew it was truth XD

Now maybe they can move on and stop thinking of trying to fix a broken element in STO and just remove it.

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

*snip*

It appears the faction in Cryptic that believed this should be a single faction game has triumphed. A few end game missions should suffice to tie it up and end in continual war game simulations.

That road was starting to be crossed even when I originally left in the first 3-4 months of the game's release.  Heck, even with what you could see in the game when it went live.

Even at release, the Federation had far more things to possibly do and see compared to the KDF.  They have 2-3 times more places to go than the KDF.  It still persists today, 2 years later.

When I left, I still vividly recall the literal CRIES of Federation players wanting a nerf to cloaks and universal BOFF slots.  If not a nerf, then the Feds were demanding a piece of the action.  One of the nice things when the game came out was that there was a very, very different playstyle in space between the Feds and KDF warships.  Sure, they all play by the same general rules, but the characteristics, handling, and style of use was very different.  What do I see after checking things out after 2 years?

- Feds have access to cloaks.

- Universal BOFF slots have finally made their way into the Feds.

- The Feds now have access to Carriers.

Those 3 things were once considered cornerstones on what made KDF gameplay different.  Cryptic caved in to the vast majority (the Feds) and decided to dilute the difference between the 2 fleets even more.

There's no chance the KDF as a faction will ever catch up in things to do and see, as well as travel.  Which means other factions for the future like the Romulans and Dominion will have a snowball's chance in hell in making it a worthwhile experience.

It's also disappointing to see that PvP is still confined to the same 2-3 instanced maps.

Originally posted by Dragonantis

Now maybe they can move on and stop thinking of trying to fix a broken element in STO and just remove it.

And make the game even more shallow?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

There is no significant return on investment for Cryptic to "fix" PvP.  It is a safe bet there will be little to nothing done about it.  PvP does not rake in the cash like C-Store junk.

Originally posted by Warmaker

Originally posted by Dragonantis
    And make the game even more shallow?

Well, it was mentioned by Gozer that this was possible, so it isnt like what Dragontis suggested is unreasonable. Make the game more shallow? Seems to be on the drawing board for Cryptic.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

"Gozer" = "Dude" in Dutch.

Just thought I should mention that.

Originally posted by DarkPony

"Gozer" = "Dude" in Dutch.

Just thought I should mention that.

I just think Ghostbusters, but maybe that's just me!

• staranstaran Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Sto is "fail".
    Kdf is fail. Pvp is fail. Fe is fail.