Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The real Diablo 3?

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by Mentos0

i dont know whats wrong with the skill tree in my oppinion this is one of the best features of the game what happened to people enjoying customization would you rather your character just be hard coded and you get this at each level like wow or would you like to make your character yours i dont see how this skill tree is a bad thing reminds me of FFX which was one of the greatest RPG's made

I'm all for a customization option, however clean it up. Its a mess in its current state and quite honestly, i don't really wanna scroll thru the galaxy to find my home planet. I have SOASE for that. Unique is great when it isn't an eyesore.

I agree with Aori, in relation to the skill tree I think it a case of because you can create something so complex doesn't mean you should.  Having something so ugly, unweilding and foreboding does not make your game more complex or hardcore, there wil still be 'best builds' posted on the interwebz that people will go for, rendering the whole thing void.... but I guess that's true for any skill system.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

Originally posted by expresso

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by Mentos0

i dont know whats wrong with the skill tree in my oppinion this is one of the best features of the game what happened to people enjoying customization would you rather your character just be hard coded and you get this at each level like wow or would you like to make your character yours i dont see how this skill tree is a bad thing reminds me of FFX which was one of the greatest RPG's made

I'm all for a customization option, however clean it up. Its a mess in its current state and quite honestly, i don't really wanna scroll thru the galaxy to find my home planet. I have SOASE for that. Unique is great when it isn't an eyesore.

I agree with Aori, in relation to the skill tree I think it a case of because you can create something so complex doesn't mean you should.  Having something so ugly, unweilding and foreboding does not make your game more complex or hardcore, there wil still be 'best builds' posted on the interwebz that people will go for, rendering the whole thing void.... but I guess that's true for any skill system.

In a game like this there is no reason to go to a website and find cokie cutter builds. Its no MMO and there are no raids... Some will do that anyway. But its up to them. And its a mistake, IMO.

People like to experiment with builds and try new ideas. It must be complicated and there must be permanent choices also, IMO. Games like that are not for everyone. But I like them. Its good that some developers still believe in this. Dumbed down mainstream games are starting to get really boring. And I really think we need something new.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by Jumdor

With you Unlight I am very much agreed. We are a small crowd (these few outspoken here) not getting a drug enduced euphoria from Blizzard nipple suckage.

D3 is a bastard child of marketing abuse slipped into the seventh level of hell and stretched across the wrack of the Butcher's back. 

Normally I am very tame about my opinions of certain games especially before release, but I've had a hate on for D3 from even their first concept shots. Yeah I might change my tune when seeing the finished product, but I wouldn't hold my breath. =I

Have you ever seen the original concept art, or even the screen shots of the levels of Diablo3?. By original i don't mean what Blizzard have now produced but by the old Diablo team before they were disbanded.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

Im sorry but PoE looks and feels crappy. Havent tried D3 yet so I got no opinion there.

But im sure this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCdbdsFgNGI will be better then both togheter.

• JumdorJumdor Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by Fendel84M

Originally posted by Jumdor

With you Unlight I am very much agreed. We are a small crowd (these few outspoken here) not getting a drug enduced euphoria from Blizzard nipple suckage.

D3 is a bastard child of marketing abuse slipped into the seventh level of hell and stretched across the wrack of the Butcher's back. 

Normally I am very tame about my opinions of certain games especially before release, but I've had a hate on for D3 from even their first concept shots. Yeah I might change my tune when seeing the finished product, but I wouldn't hold my breath. =I

wow...really? Have you tried the D3 beta? It's fun as hell! People need to grow up.

Not really a comparison anyways, D3 is not an MMO but I do look forward to trying PoE.

I emphasized that it was my opinion and I figured that should have been enough. I guess I was wrong. 

My harshness was toward the game not towards your love of a game. Be it Diablo3 or anything else. My opinion is mine alone, and I don't go out of my way to attack anyone with it. I can choose to play what I wish as you can choose to read what you wish. Maturity is not gauged by personal opinion. I have no idea why I was singled out but it comes with the territory I guess. I was not griping on the D3 forums nor have I since hearing about the game. So, I figured I could be a little looser in a place not sacredly guarded by Diablo3 supporters. 

There was no anger in what I said. No use of exlamation points. No singling anyone out for liking the game. It was a general opinion about my distaste for that game and or company. I guess I'll have to tone down using such expressive examples of my opinion in the future.

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."

• gaboxgabox Member UncommonPosts: 7

PoE is a nice game coming from an indie developer.

IMHO, PoE is far from being the real D3.

Even current D3 is far from being the real deal.

• anthonypenaanthonypena Member Posts: 131

It is!!! i have been  in beta for 3 months! awsome gameplay amazing dark fantasy great skill system... also...maybe not the real d3 BUT what d3 should have been like...d3 does not look anything like d1/2 feel wise like dark fantasy kinda feel...

• JohnShieldsJohnShields Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by stormseekaz

Wow, this game looks awesome.  It looks like what Diablo 3 would of looked like had they never made World of Warcraft.

I signed up for the beta, hope I can get in some how. 

Isometric camera view + modern graphics = win

It's not the real Diablo III... it's the BETTER Diablo III. Unbelievable game thus far (and I've been testing for months).

• gaboxgabox Member UncommonPosts: 7

Also the passive skill system is a complete mess.

• chazebchazeb Member Posts: 8

So far, I love it. They got it right, if you are looking for something to replace Daiblo 2, this is it. If you are looking for something to replace D3, or GW2, why? They are not even released yet, and everyone is comparing them.

• comrademariocomrademario Member Posts: 98

Just found out about this game today, will definitely donate 10 dollars for a beta key as it looks exactly what I've been looking for. Girlfriend is away this weekend too, so perfect timing :D

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by daemon

Im sorry but PoE looks and feels crappy. Havent tried D3 yet so I got no opinion there.

But im sure this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCdbdsFgNGI will be better then both togheter.

omg , an mmorpg that uses diablo action rpg style , sweet!

• GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I have tried Path of Exile a few weeks ago (beta event) but I didnt like it at all. I cant tell what bugged me but it dont has the "flow" of D3. For me D3 will be the hack'n slay of my choice, atleast till I have a chance to buy/try Torchlight 2.
  • Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Damn...

Just played the beta, this game is really better then diablo 3. I think many disappointing d3 fans will play this instead.

Game is not so damn easy and when I saw the amazing skill tree I almost died. And the most important, its not worser grafic wise ten diablo !

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by Mari2k

Damn...

Just played the beta, this game is really better then diablo 3. I think many disappointing d3 fans will play this instead.

Game is not so damn easy and when I saw the amazing skill tree I almost died. And the most important, its not worser grafic wise ten diablo !

I'm enjoying POE too, but I have to disagree. Alot of people on this thread seem to be arguing graphics style, and thats fine. As far as advanced graphics? There really is very little here. Are the graphics "good"? Yeah, overall.

Here are a couple of examples of why even Diablo 2 had more advanced graphics than POE:

1) Shorelines border many of the zones in POE. Never EVER in a 45 angle (or diag). Its always consistent 90 degree folds repeated over and over. The boundries remind me of REALLY old games like Wolfenstein 3-D. Its bad enough to use a shore as barrier, but it doesn't even look randomized. Its either straight, or a complete 90 degree angle. Nothing in between. Looks bad in my opinion

2) After being in several parties (most had around  3 people), skills tend to overlap and cause extreme screen effects. Does it look good? Not together, no. Individually skills look pretty good. When you're grouped up (especially on a boos fight) It looks like a bunch of crap...with MAYBE a mob underneath. Some of the people I played with couldn't even tell what was going on. It wasn't fun at all at that point.

These examples may seem minor to you, but def will affect anybody who likes more than right angles or plans to group...ever. 

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

The passive tree is about the only cool thing about this game. The classes are dull and the enemies even worse.

I tried playing it while waiting for D3 to release and I just couldn't make it past lvl 25 before I couldn't even force myself to log in. I hate the skills being tied into runes bit. I thought the graphics were terrible. I get new armor and my guy looks equally skimpy and flimsy - It's dull.

But if you're enjoying it then by all means go aheda and enjoy it. I'll probably check it out when it's closer to release.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, I'm going to play both, and TL2 also.  It's not a battle about which game is best, if you don't like it, don't play it.  PoE has some great things in it that I enjoyed a lot.  D3 has me hooked from the beta and the fact that it's Diablo.  And just got to play TL2 beta and I am very very impressed with it.  Going to keep me busy for a long time!

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

let me know when D3 will allow you to open your own servers with your own rule sets.

• CzelawCzelaw Member UncommonPosts: 173

I tried it last night I liked it more than I liked D3

• RaiZtRaiZt Member UncommonPosts: 26

I have been playing PoE for some time now, common 10$ is less then a BK meal here in Sweden so if you think you like the game support them so perhaps thay will be able to finish it. 

PoE got one big problem and its the skill system you can with great effectiveness use the first skill you get from lvl 1 to 100. This makes the game really really boring just spamming the same skill 10000000 times killing the same mindless zombies that has the most horrible AI ever. 

Everyone is talking about the great passive tree and how it makes PoE stand out as you can customize your char in so many ways.  Not true, if you go out of the beaten path of what is valid you will fail on "Chaos" The hardest diffeculty so basicly you are lock in "specs" that are valid.  This is something that most people wont find out untill its to late, Now changing your passive tree is really really expensive since there is only 2 ways to do it. In the latest patch thay added another quest so now you can get 4 respec points each act. 

Imo PoE got potentiol but its far from competitive as it is now it geats boring really really fast.  

• Munkyman1Munkyman1 Member Posts: 221

Ahhh this site is terribly childish. No matter how much you (the minority) harp, Diablo 3 will be a hit, and Blizzard wil continue to succeed.  Can we quit with the endless threads about how you could have done everything in the game world better then they did.  This is now to the point of being annoying and stupid.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Munkyman1

Ahhh this site is terribly childish. No matter how much you (the minority) harp, Diablo 3 will be a hit, and Blizzard wil continue to succeed.  Can we quit with the endless threads about how you could have done everything in the game world better then they did.  This is now to the point of being annoying and stupid.

I haven't read anyone denying that D3 will be a hit.  I also haven't read anyone claiming they could build a better D3 themselves.  Where are you getting this?

The theme here is that some people like PoE more than D3.  Does that bother you?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Played PoE over the weekend.

Its much better than Diablo 3 was which i'd play in its open weekend prior.

Could tell it was going to be great at the character selection, all the characters in the hold of that old wooden ship.  Very cool.

Could tell D3 was going to blow at its character creation too.  All their characters looking like WoW rip offs right from the start, ugly as shit.

Will get PoE, but once its further along.  I don't like buying and playing games that aren't officially done yet.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I really liked the game initially, but over time as I began to understand how the game worked, it started to get more and more dull for me.

Most of my problems come down to the skill system and how everything ties into it. The fact that skills are inserted into items puts a significant strain both on character building and on itemization. You need items with specific number of slots + links to accomodate various skill combinations. This is compounded by very strict STR/DEX/INT requirements on nearly every item. This leads to highly pigeonholed builds where most effort goes into maximizing one skill and using the passive tree to concentrate in some very specific areas, with little room to budge.

Furthermore, melee classes have a pretty limited set of skills to choose from. Most skills here will come down to a single target and an AoE attack. A lot of cool stuff could potentially happen if you added skills from other attributes in here, but you'll have a hard time doing that because of the armor inclinations (i.e., warrior armor prefers red slots) and because of the stat requirements (you can't use non-warrior armor). You can sort of juggle stats here and there, at best, but you will most probably gimp your character. There are also many weapon limitations on skills, even. Can only use that with swords, can only use this with hammers.

The classes themselves hardly differ, but the armor designed for them is, on the other hand, so strictly made it becomes an eyesore really quickly. You can pick up an item and you will see that it's clearly Templar armor, with your strict INT/STR requirements, and equal amounts of energy shield and armor. And then Duelists always get STR/DEX armor, with equal amounts of Evasion and Armor. And so on. Of course, you can make your Witch use Duelist armor, but that will probably require that your Witch actually converts to the STR/DEX paradigm and basically becomes a Duelist but with a different passive skill tree.

I don't know if they fixed Evasion yet, but that was terrible when I played. Evasion stackers just got one shot. Evasion was so bad everyone automatically took Iron Reflexes. This goes into the fact that there's a very limited number of keystones and they were very badly balanced. Also their distribution on the passive skill tree was really not optimal. But it was beta when I played, so I don't care for that too much. But this definitely felt like a "use a cookie cutter build or be gimped" game.

What I did like was the currency stuff. Having little things to pick up is always neat.

I was not impressed by the game's environments, or characters, or monsters, or skills. And they really need to use a fill automap that shows where you were in the middle that's not just "that's a tree".

I wouldn't say PoE is Diablo III, or even a clone of Diablo II, because it doesn't particularly feel like related to either title. It shares DII's unintuitiveness, as well as its lack of balance, I think that's why people are flocking to it. I'd consider it D2.5 if it had a skill tree.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

After playing through nightmare and most of Hell, I can say that D3 is vastly superior to POE.  POE is incredibly dated and held on to almost all of the worst parts of past ARPGs.  POE has worse graphics than Titan Quest, a 2006 game, far less enjoyable combat than D2,TQ, D3 and Torchlight.  There's little to no feedback or effects to most attacks.  The art direction is completely uninspired.  The passive tree, though deep, is mostly tedious.  The actual skill system is retarded.  The lack of respecs is a dealbreaker.  TP and ID scroll farming is boring and a waste of time. 

Who exactly are they marketing this to?  Other than the Final Fantasy passive tree they offer nothing compelling in this game.  A complex skill tree, rather than a passive tree, that allowed players to make all kinds of builds would have been a better and more interesting design.  After D3 and Torchlight 2 I'll just wait for Lineage Eternal and maybe Grim Dawn.