Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Hopping

JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

With the way the game is set up, no gear advantage, no level advantage, etc. Do you think server hopping will be an issue? I am sure there will be a server that dominates WvWvW, and with no real connection to your characters, what will stop people from flooding to that server?

Comments

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

Your characters will have a home server. You may still visit other servers, but you can only fight for your home server in WvW.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Right, but why couldn't I just make a different character on the dominating server? Since levels / gear don't matter.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Server hopping only affects PvE, no matter which server you're playing in PvE when you go to WvW you'll be representing your home server, and also, any bonuses that come from WvW victories that apply in PvE for you will be the ones from your home server.

You can change home servers, but it costs money (rumours put it at $10 worth of gems), has a cooldown of 7 days, and you IIRC you won't be able to participate in WvW matches until next match begins every 2 weeks.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by Jimmydean

With the way the game is set up, no gear advantage, no level advantage, etc. Do you think server hopping will be an issue? I am sure there will be a server that dominates WvWvW, and with no real connection to your characters, what will stop people from flooding to that server?

Unless they feel like paying each time and having downtime before they can switch servers.  I say no.  You can freely switch servers in PvE only.  Remember the servers will be matched up against other servers close in power.  It will be a tug of war.  I can assure you of that.

BOOYAKA!

Home servers are account bound, not character bound.

Originally posted by Somsbal

So you are assigned a home server? No choice?

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Right, but why couldn't I just make a different character on the dominating server? Since levels / gear don't matter.

You can't make characters on different servers unless you get a second copy of the game. Home server is account wide, every single character you create has the same home server, and if you transfer, all chars transfer.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

You choose when you make your first character.

You can pay gems to transfer onto a different home server and there is a 7 day cooldown on transferring. You also do not get the bonuses from the WvW for the following week to stop people running to different servers each week for buffs.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

You CHOOSE a Home Server. After that, you're bound to that Server (for WvW) until you pay for the server transfer fee.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

How long will the top server still be the top server if every noob rushes to make it their home? Furthermore there is the cost associated with it as well. 1800 gems as of last BWE. How many people will keep changing their homeserver just to be on the "best"

You're free to pick whatever home server you want, but as soon as you pick one, all your characters will be made on that realm. If you want to change home servers you'll have to pay for it, either with real money or in-game gold (through gems).

Originally posted by Master10K

You CHOOSE a Home Server. After that, you're bound to that Server (for WvW) until you pay for the server transfer fee.

Would I be able to delete my characters, and choose a new home world? Or is it locked in forever?

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Locked until you buy a server transfer or Anet gives you one for free

Originally posted by Master10K

Would I be able to delete my characters, and choose a new home world? Or is it locked in forever?

I don't think it was possible during the last beta, but i think there's a pretty high chance that it will be possible to do this at launch, considering it was a pretty common suggestion on the beta forums.

Wow, that would really suck if that's the case. My friend picks up the game, accidently picks a different server, and we are stuck not being able to pvp together unless one of us pays to xfer? I think that is a horrible design decision.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

After the first 3 or 4 days of WvWvW you can see wich server is stronger, and the 2 weaker ones will unite, until the points are even again.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Wow, that would really suck if that's the case. My friend picks up the game, accidently picks a different server, and we are stuck not being able to pvp together unless one of us pays to xfer? I think that is a horrible design decision.

That's why it's likely they'll change it based on suggestions.  I had the same problem during beta, as did other people, but like ANet stated, they didn't expect the amount of people that ended up buying the game.  Changing design decisions is what betas are all about.

There's nothing stopping you from telling your friend what server you're on. There's already a list of server names, so if you and your friend still end up on the wrong server, then it's your own fault.

There's nothing stopping you from telling your friend what server you're on. There's already a list of server names, so if you and your friend still end up on the wrong server, then it's your own fault.

That's great, if you have 1 friend. Many of us have more than that, however, and can't always just call them up and tell them what server to play on before the game even comes out. Some of my friends probably won't even know about this "feature", so while creating their first character could end up locked into a server they don't want. Maybe Anet will take this out, or at least allow free xfers the first few weeks so people can get situated with their friends. I see a lot of frustration / anger if this doesn't get changed though.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Originally posted by Eir_S

That's why it's likely they'll change it based on suggestions.  I had the same problem during beta, as did other people, but like ANet stated, they didn't expect the amount of people that ended up buying the game.  Changing design decisions is what betas are all about.

I hope they allow players to delete all characters and switch home servers. This would help solve the 'friend accidently picked the wrong server' problem.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

You only have one 'home' server. You cant make characters on a variety of servers in the game. Some folks would find only being able to make characters on a single server to be a ltitle restrictive, and thus the easy 'guesting' system Anet has implemented will help you visit your friends servers, etc. You can even have a guild exist cross-server but that guild has to also have one server that is the 'home' server were they can participate in WvW.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Yeah but 2 things:

1) I don't like people being able to server hop at will. It will cause the balance problems the OP was worried about where everyone jumps to the "winning" server. Unless they put some kind of population lock in, or a massive cooldown.

2) Really, your scenario is no different that any other game presently. Talk to your friend, agree on a server ahead. If one of you jacks up,...not sure what to say there. Buy gems with gold, free server xfer, yay?

The only way I can see this working is if every account gets one free transfer. 

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by stayBlind

I hope they allow players to delete all characters and switch home servers. This would help solve the 'friend accidently picked the wrong server' problem.

there would be no point of even having a home server then... all you end up with in that case are glorified gateways and means that people will hop all over the place to join the best servers for WvW.

At least with the current system you can use gems to transfer (bought with either gold or RL money) and the cooldown and fact you don't recieve the buffs for the following week prevent abuse.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Originally posted by Zezda

there would be no point of even having a home server then... all you end up with in that case are glorified gateways and means that people will hop all over the place to join the best servers for WvW.

At least with the current system you can use gems to transfer (bought with either gold or RL money) and the cooldown and fact you don't recieve the buffs for the following week prevent abuse.

Yea but they would have to delete their characters each time they wanted to jump, by the time they leveled high enough again to unlock all utility + elite who says that server they moved to will still be the best?

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Like someone else said, this might cause problems if it wasn't a temporary thing.  Since ANet wants to make absolutely certain people are playing with their friends, I think it would be the best course of action if they allowed server transfers to be free for the first 24 hours.  This might still cause problems for people who buy the game at a later date, but it would solve the majority of placement issues and no characters would have to be deleted.