Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unable to log onto wurm.

obsessedrpgrobsessedrpgr Member Posts: 5

I am on the site. I click Play now. And first it takes awhile, when it finally comes up. It says It cant deplay the page. At first I thought It was the internet. but I have no problem with this page. Is wurm down? Or, how do i get on it, now that they are having problems?

Just did a diagnose connection issues: this is what is said:

The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 80, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn’t find any problems with the firewall on your computer.

Comments

• RobydRobyd Member Posts: 8

It does look like there are problems again

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160

Its down.

No idea when it will be back up, no idea whats wrong, no idea if this was planned, no idea if the game has died forever, no idea about anything because there is no information anywhere from anyone, but apparently this is normal.

From what I've gathered from the forums before they went down and from dev blogs and the such, the games team doesnt have the capacity or ability to let thier customers know what the status of the service is at any given time.

• obsessedrpgrobsessedrpgr Member Posts: 5

Ok thanks. Anyone know when its going to be back up? i got horses to feed. :)

• obsessedrpgrobsessedrpgr Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by yorkforce

From what I've gathered from the forums before they went down and from dev blogs and the such, the games team doesnt have the capacity or ability to let thier customers know what the status of the service is at any given time.

I have noticed that over the years. Wish i knew what was going on.

• StarshakerStarshaker Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 28

If you are a premium account you merely pay money. Why you think that makes you deserving of the most simple information is beyond reason. Now go sit in the corner, throw more money at Rolf, and shut up. Maybe he will decide you are worthy of a simple, we are screwed message.

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

Can still join the IRC Channel.  Room #Wurm at Rizon.net

• WulfgarDKWulfgarDK Member Posts: 7

Check the official #wurmonlline twitter channel for updates.

The game is currently running fine but the login server and website is down atm. 

(probably another DDOS attack  by a bunch of losers)

• Beta1234Beta1234 Member Posts: 53

It seems that Rolf (the sole developer), doesn't bother working on weekends or outside normal working hours (9-16 CET (maybe an hour or two longer on occasion) as he lives in Sweden) no matter what happens, though this doesn't stop him from posting a game breaking patch, and then going home and leaving the mess for the next day - or monday if he decides to patch on a friday...

His primary means of communication seems to be the IRC channel, and so if you can't be bothered with IRC you are SOL... He also sometimes make very general statements/vague hints about game changes on the so-called patchnotes in the Wurm launcher... It seems that most of the game is meant to be "figured out" on your own as part of the challenge... but since Rolf likes to make ninja changes to the way the game works basically you can't really know what is going on in the game world in advance... which again makes the lack of wiki (they might decide what to do with the wiki some time next week (quote from the VERY reduced homepage (http://wurmonline.com/) or as I read if they can be bothered...) very bad IMHO...

Originally posted by WulfgarDK

Check the official #wurmonlline twitter channel for updates.

The game is currently running fine but the login server and website is down atm. 

(probably another DDOS attack  by a bunch of losers)

If the login server is down the game is not running fine, and I can't really see any universe when that could be interpreted as fine...

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

[20:33] <@Zcul>; it's up again and login works

Login server is up again according to Zcul in IRC

Another rant of misinformation aimed to hurt Rolf and his game, I guess you are one of those who got banned for exploiting...get a life

Originally posted by Beta1234

It seems that Rolf (the sole developer),

Rolf has 2 paid employees helping him developing the game along with a whole lot of volunteer people that are all doing a great job.

doesn't bother working on weekends or outside normal working hours (9-16 CET (maybe an hour or two longer on occasion) as he lives in Sweden) no matter what happens

Rolf has worked on many late nights and weekends so please stop posting your petty lies here.

though this doesn't stop him from posting a game breaking patch, and then going home and leaving the mess for the next day - or monday if he decides to patch on a friday...i

I have heard rumours something like this happened more than 3 years ago but recently he has done a good job of staying late to be ready to fix any game breaking bugs that snuck in in the patch.

His primary means of communication seems to be the IRC channel, and so if you can't be bothered with IRC you are SOL...

He has a blog that he updates often and also often make posts in the forum. Its true that he uses IRC as a way to daily communicate with players but that can hardly be held against him? 

• kedieckediec Member Posts: 5

Another rant of misinformation aimed to hurt Rolf and his game, I guess you are one of those who got banned for exploiting...get a life

Rolf has 2 paid employees helping him developing the game along with a whole lot of volunteer people that are all doing a great job.

doesn't bother working on weekends or outside normal working hours (9-16 CET (maybe an hour or two longer on occasion) as he lives in Sweden) no matter what happens

Rolf has worked on many late nights and weekends so please stop posting your petty lies here.

though this doesn't stop him from posting a game breaking patch, and then going home and leaving the mess for the next day - or monday if he decides to patch on a friday...i

I have heard rumours something like this happened more than 3 years ago but recently he has done a good job of staying late to be ready to fix any game breaking bugs that snuck in in the patch.

His primary means of communication seems to be the IRC channel, and so if you can't be bothered with IRC you are SOL...

He has a blog that he updates often and also often make posts in the forum. Its true that he uses IRC as a way to daily communicate with players but that can hardly be held against him? 

I agree with what Wulfgar has said .

People need to realise , the game has just been targetted by a malicous person / persons , this will cause problems in ANY game ( look at the hacking of Sony etc ).

Heaven forbid that Rolf uses IRC ( a chat client readily available to EVERYONE , with different clients available to use ) to do his day to day communication .........................

Also , in 4 years of playing , i have rarely seen any problems with the servers that hasn't been sorted out asap . When their has been problems , Rolf and the team that help have worked even harder to fix things . Just because a crashed server doesn't come up within 5 minutes , doesn't mean Rolf isn't working to find out the cause and to try and fix it .

Is it frustrating when a game you enjoy goes down because of things OUT OF THE DEVS control ? , Of course it is , but life goes on .

• MaxipadMaxipad Member Posts: 19

Always the same people ready to make any excuse they can to climb ever higher on the fanboy top ten list.

• spider32spider32 Member Posts: 7

that is nice what you say but you dont knwo realy how long work rolf on all

and many guys what mean he help rolf is not correct when you play this game than look many bugs have wurm  and rolf know that but he fixed not the bugs he make many more by all updates

• DraylynnDraylynn Member UncommonPosts: 11

Rolf has 2 paid employees helping him devel...

End of the day, if people don't think Rolf's doing a good enough job, stop playing and make your own game. It's not easy to cater to the vast reaches of the world wide web, lets see you do a better job? Rolf~ Your doing just great!

• BriganderBrigander Member Posts: 47

You say that, but what has Rolf really done?

Papyrus + Paper + Ink, that's all Zcul.  Zcul made the reeds, rice, water farms, ink, and all that stuff with grass.

Saroman/Wollschaf have been working on realistic season changes that go with the ingame time.  

AGAIN, Zcul does the inner walls of buildings and works on two-story houses.

Budda creates timers in Wurm that will count down for you, a nice nifty feature that helps with meditations and prayers.

So what really has Rolf done?  Look at the blog, all he's posted lately is he bought a fuckin' mousepad.  Yet all the donator coders are doing EVERYTHING for him.  Then Rolf goes out of his way trying to find new ways to make money with scammy BitCoin and CoinLab shit (that probably fucked his website over).  He hasn't really done shit lately, least not that I can see. 

• AetherwalkerAetherwalker Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Brigander

You say that, but what has Rolf really done?

Papyrus + Paper + Ink, that's all Zcul.  Zcul made the reeds, rice, water farms, ink, and all that stuff with grass.

Saroman/Wollschaf have been working on realistic season changes that go with the ingame time.  

AGAIN, Zcul does the inner walls of buildings and works on two-story houses.

Budda creates timers in Wurm that will count down for you, a nice nifty feature that helps with meditations and prayers.

So what really has Rolf done?  Look at the blog, all he's posted lately is he bought a fuckin' mousepad.  Yet all the donator coders are doing EVERYTHING for him.  Then Rolf goes out of his way trying to find new ways to make money with scammy BitCoin and CoinLab shit (that probably fucked his website over).  He hasn't really done shit lately, least not that I can see. 

And who hires the staff? I'm sure the CEO of most corporations can honestly say he does nothing but play Farmville and Golf all day, but if his staff are good and hand-picked then that's all that matters. I mean, look at Charlie's Angels. Charlie did NOTHING WHATSOEVER. But his team got the job done.

"Take my love, take my land,
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.
    Take me out to the black,
    Tell them I ain't comin' back.
    Burn the land and boil the sea,
    You can't take the sky from me.
    There's no place I can be,
    Since I found Serenity.
    But you can't take the sky from me... "

• BriganderBrigander Member Posts: 47

Zcul, Budda, Saroman, Wollschaf are not employees, nor hired by Rolf.  They approached Rolf to help.  It's not the same, it's not as if he went out and found them and pays them.  

The point is that the unpaid contributors are doing much more work in a course of a month than Rolf has done in a year.  

Tell me one big update this year Rolf has done.  What?  I literally can't think of one thing, and I am not tryin to bash Rolf, I am just saying his progress is horrendously slow.  

Well, actually still playing, but thanks for your concern ;-).

Well, like I said, you might have gotten that from IRC, or somewhere on the forum, I really couldn't tell, but I never found anything on the web site, and yes, I did look for all the information about what was changing and who was doing what, and the blog you mention doesn't really seem to include a lot of hard information about the development of the game or the organization of the team... Still not sure who the two paid employees are supposed to be...

So how long did it take for Rolf to fix the issue with half the house doors that didn't work (one way doors and some that seemingly didn't work at all)? Not the first patch that only fixed a small amount of the issues, but the one about 6 or 8 hours later (if I recall correctly)

Well, the blog doesn't really give that much information, except of course the bloke in New Zealand I think it was, that had started producing mugs and mouse mats with a Wurm logo and Rolf gave him some free PR to thank him for the gift... Oh, yeah and there was Zculs posts... oh wait that wasn't Rolf, was it? About the forum, the problem is that Rolf (or that is the way it seems to me anyway) disappears any negative posts. locks threads, and generally complains if people posts anything not overly positive, or maybe even suggests a better way to set up the test servers to test the new reduced timers, to mention one example recently.

About IRC, the big issue that I have with that, is that if you aren't logged in, you don't have any clue about what happened there... there is no record of any discussion that Rolf had with the small part of his subscribers that are online on IRC, no record of the information that Rolf shared with the few online, etc... If he put this discussions on the forum instead people could actually search the forum and maybe be better informed about what is going on in Wurm.

Originally posted by kediec

I agree with what Wulfgar has said .

People need to realise , the game has just been targetted by a malicous person / persons , this will cause problems in ANY game ( look at the hacking of Sony etc ).

Heaven forbid that Rolf uses IRC ( a chat client readily available to EVERYONE , with different clients available to use ) to do his day to day communication .........................

Also , in 4 years of playing , i have rarely seen any problems with the servers that hasn't been sorted out asap . When their has been problems , Rolf and the team that help have worked even harder to fix things . Just because a crashed server doesn't come up within 5 minutes , doesn't mean Rolf isn't working to find out the cause and to try and fix it .

Is it frustrating when a game you enjoy goes down because of things OUT OF THE DEVS control ? , Of course it is , but life goes on .

No, what people NEED to realize is that the forums was attacked by a simple SQL injection attack shortly (within a week I believe) of the "upgrade" to the forum and wiki software... If you in the year 2012 don't know what input sanitation or SQL injection is, or why it is inportant you really need to read http://xkcd.com/327 published october 10th, 2007... and you really shouldn't be making any kind of web application -- and yes, that does include setting up a forum or even a bloody blog!

Yes, the IRC client is available to most people who can get a hold of a browser, but you actually need to be logged in at the same time as Rolf to actually see what he writes...

Well, at least for some of the last unscheduled downtimes (wait, all of them are, I of course mean all of the patch shutdowns that are warned about 15 minutes or 30 mines before it happens, not the unexpected ones, due to a crash) I haven't been able to find any information about the patch, neither the content or even that fact that one was in progress, neither on the web site, the blog, or the forum.

I seem to recall people saying that Rolf mentioned something (on IRC) about him fixing some bug or other the next day or even the next week...

My point is that the hacking on may 11th was not out of Rolf's hands (or whoever selected the new forum software, or checked it's specs), but something people should expect if they don't protect their databases and stop running script in random posts from (basically) unknown users.

Originally posted by Draylynn

End of the day, if people don't think Rolf's doing a good enough job, stop playing and make your own game. It's not easy to cater to the vast reaches of the world wide web, lets see you do a better job? Rolf~ Your doing just great!

"End of the day, if you don't enjoy the gas tank of your car exploding once in a while, you should really build one from scratch..."

Nope, Rolf sells a product, that product is expected to live up to certain minimum requirements, if it doesn't you want the person to fix it... not stop playing games untill you can make a better one!

"End of the day, if you don't enjoy the gas tank of your car exploding once in a while, you should really build one from scratch..."

Nope, Rolf sells a product, that product is expected to live up to certain minimum requirements, if it doesn't you want the person to fix it... not stop playing games untill you can make a better one!

So you do spend all your day trolling forums of Toyota, Mazda, BMW, VW etc. (I think just about every car company in the world has had to recall a huge number of cars due to severe safety issues)?

End of the day, its clear that whatever Rolf does you will never be satisfied, why don't you just move on and let us few thousand retards enjoy ourselves playing his game? There are literally thousands of other games out there for you to play, now SHOOO.

Originally posted by nkitz

^Resident Fanboy.

I am not a fanboy, I constantly criticise Rolf on the forums to keep him on his toes. I do know that he still made a game that kept me away from dozens of AAA titles over the past 3 years and he doesn't make mistakes/fails to fix bugs on purpose.

I would rather be a fanboy though than a scammer/exploiter/cheater like you. How is the lawsuit going? LOL

• StarshakerStarshaker Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 28

Nice. Criticize him into telling us how things are progressing. Five or ten seconds is all it takes. I spend more time buying silver and game time. His blog says it will be sorted out in a few WEEKS. So an update every couple days on THIS forum would be a considerate thing. We do pay him for his time.

BTW, I do enjoy the game very much and I do appreciate the product. But communication would be nice.

• MaxipadMaxipad Member Posts: 19

Here is a condensed version of the developer http://wurmonline.tumblr.com/ blog dated Friday, May 11th:

Hey, Rolf here to tell you very little of what's going on.

We got hacked. But some of you can still click play and get the game to work. For those who can't get it to work, figure it out yourself, that's part of the mystery of Wurm.

I never liked the system I used for this game and as a result things are fucked up. Oh yeah, all the info might be lost. Knowing me, the possibilities of that are very high. Good news though! We'll start over fresh, and we'll let other professionals do what I am too lazy to do.

Very little will change in the upcoming weeks, but don't mind us, we're just three employees of an indie game doing our best. We'll make sure that the means to take in more money from you guys is working just fine.

The company was "attacked" three days ago and all we've gotten so far is a webpage thrown together by a 10 yr old and a blog from the CEO laughing at us. And all the fanboys can say is the usual bullshit about how this has never happened before and Rolf works hard on this game. The problem is, not all of us are fanboys and we know this type of shit has happened before, and Rolf don't give a fuck about his customers. If he did, there would be some kind of official update either here or on that goofy home page for Wurm. Instead, for three days now we've stared at a brief excuse for how screwed up things are, a couple links to be able to play (and of course pay), a link to come to these forums for even less info, a non-updated twitter feed, and a list of ranks from Epic. Seriously, what the hell is so important about the ranks list that it's made it to the website instead of an update about what's happening? A chimp can see this game is hosed right now and the least of it's problems is being hacked.

BTW, you fanboys, like Wulfgar, have got your tongues so far up Rolf's asshole that you can't see straight. You have no clue that your responses here are doing as much damage to the image of this game as Rolf is by not responding and not taking care of his business.