Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent game...horrendous quest system

kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

you can only have three active quests...you spend so much time running back and forth that even kingsmouth thats supposedly smallest questing zone in game feels HUGE and tedious.

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

• GvonHellGvonHell Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by bloodaxes

High five!

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by kishe

you can only have three active quests...you spend so much time running back and forth that even kingsmouth thats supposedly smallest questing zone in game feels HUGE and tedious.

I'm a contrarist by nature, but I have rarely disagreed with a statement more than I disagree with this.

Because of this deliberate questing design, for the first time in a themepark MMO I am paying attention to what the f*** I am doing. Almost every quest is considerably more involved than even the best of MMO's questing content, and it doesn't try to distract you with 15 other things to do as your passing by. And I have never spent so much time investigating my environment, and trying to figure things out. Especially on the puzzle quests, one of which I spent about 2 hours on last night and could not figure out past the second stage.

Quests should not be a list of chores for you to set about doing in the most time-economical means possible. They should be something you have to focus on single-mindedly to achieve.

TSW does not have a perfect implementation of quests. It also has horribly inconsistent writing, some of the worst looking characters ever, inconsistent VO, and this senseless jarring thing where your main character doesn't talk or emote in any way and gets monologues from every NPC anyway. There is a lot of moving around in the same enviornment (which might be a good thing), and far more downtime than is reasonable.

However, TSW's quests are FAR FAR better than anything else this broken-ass genre has to offer. Shame on you for wanting popcorn quests.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Same as other thread. . NDA correct?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

No NDA as of today.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Don't remember signing any NDA as beta weekend participant.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

1 main quest. 1 npc quest and 3 misc quests.

It ain't great and I hope they change it but it's managable.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

The questing system is designed to tell a story with each quest, and it does it rather well... unless you gather all the quest together and try to do em all at once as if they were some type of vending mashine, then you make threads like this.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• nightwriternightwriter Member UncommonPosts: 30

From a stickied mod post on the official forums:

"May 11th at 9 AM PDT is when the weekend beta event officially starts. There is no NDA covering this event after it starts, so feel free to tell your friends, neighbors, co-workers, anyone who will listen about your experiences. Screenshots and videos are welcome. From what I've heard, we're going to have a few streams up by various members of the community as well. Also, feel free to discuss things regarding the weekend beta event in the newly created sub-forum. "

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=28843

Hope that helps. :)

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

The few quests I did were quite good and involved. If they are like that then I see no problem with only have 3 active quests.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I too think it needs changing but this post on the official forums can at least shed some light on the reasons behind it being the way it is:

http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=29419

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I prefer it to be quite honest, it gives people a better focus on things altough I can see how it can quickly become a majoy annoynace. 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

NDA dropped as of today for the DEMO. However, you're not allowed to talk about end-game stuff.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by kishe

Thats intentional..You could have found that out by "asking" ..since you are playing the game..

This game is not for you then.

It tries to focus you on what you are doing..By NOT letting you have 15 quests in the same area(like SWTOR for example) it gets very confusing and un immersive if you have many quests at once in one area..

This is what I disliked about SWOTOR since they focused so much on story , I ran around and , in the end I didnt know what the hell I was doing , part from killing stuff and running left and right..

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

TSW is supposed to be based in our world, albeit one where magic and monsters exist. It makes sense not to have a 20+ long to-do list for an area. You go out and do a few tasks then come back. Also, there's exploration in this game. You find things lying around in the game world to do. Oh look, here's a weird thing what's this? You click on it and next thing you know you've just spent 20-30 minutes running around investigating something.

A lot of people are tired of the same old WoW style questing systems and I for one find the TSW's quest system more interesting than any other game out there. It's not about the race to end game, it's about the story and the world around you. If you want the next progression of WoW style games than TSW probably isn't for you.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by kartool

TSW is supposed to be based in our world, albeit one where magic and monsters exist. It makes sense not to have a 20+ long to-do list for an area. You go out and do a few tasks then come back. Also, there's exploration in this game. You find things lying around in the game world to do. Oh look, here's a weird thing what's this? You click on it and next thing you know you've just spent 20-30 minutes running around investigating something.

A lot of people are tired of the same old WoW style questing systems and I for one find the TSW's quest system more interesting than any other game out there. It's not about the race to end game, it's about the story and the world around you. If you wants the next progression of WoW style games than TSW probably isn't for you.

sort of a silly argument its also the same reason they gave for no stealth type abilities.. yet I can shoot lightning from my finger tips.. yea ok

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

The questing system frustrated me to all hell for sure....at first.

After finding out a few things, I like it. Having it NOT be the same old PB&J sammich every day is refreshing. Like some have said, it's not the same WoW system...YAY!!

• AbdullaDooAbdullaDoo Member Posts: 60

The five-quest limit is bad.  It can be fanwanked as much as one wants, but at the end of the day it's an arbitrary limit that artificially increases the amount of time spent in a zone by increasing the amount of hoofing one ends up doing...the exact same complaint MANY people have had about TOR's habit of making the player cover large tracts of ground repeatedly.  The annoyance is only going to grow on subsequent playthroughs.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

The questing system could be a bit more flexible, but as many are activated by exploration it would get messy very fast otherwise. It is about getting to know the area/npcs very well, like the sets/characters of a TV show. The visual and technical bugs are very numerous, but personally, I think this mmo is a flawed and cracked jewel among the highly polished turds of mmo mediocrity.

Most npcs don’t give more than 3-4 quests anyway, each one with cut-scenes and story, they would all blur unless separated. The back and forth is minor really when you get used to managed the missions.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Limiting quests just seems like a step backwards from even 10 years ago with EQ1 and DAOC.

I guess the idea is to stop people from getting a massive journal, but its just added pointless tedium for the player.

If I find a quest in the middle of nowhere I have to either drop a quest and hope I remember where it was or take it and lose a quest im on that I will have to go back and resstart.

Very dumb idea.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

Originally posted by Nihilist

Limiting quests just seems like a step backwards from even 10 years ago with EQ1 and DAOC.

I guess the idea is to stop people from getting a massive journal, but its just added pointless tedium for the player.

If I find a quest in the middle of nowhere I have to either drop a quest and hope I remember where it was or take it and lose a quest im on that I will have to go back and resstart.

Very dumb idea.

they let you put waypoints and notes wherever you wanted to on your map.

the idea is to let the player explore and discover with out guiding them.    that's why they drop you off in Kingsmouth with the weapon of your choice and say "see ya later".  

• AbdullaDooAbdullaDoo Member Posts: 60

Great.  So you can stick a waypoint out in the middle of nowhere where you come across a quest from a corpse to remind you to spend 15 minutes running back and fighting through the zombie horde to pick it up later.  To me the exploration comes in in finding some of these obscurely located quests in the first place.  I'm glad so many people here like it -- because it's obviously targeting your tastes -- but forcing the player to spend additional hours in a zone chasing down stray quests that could have been completed with other quests if not for the quest system is -- for me -- unnecessary tedium in zones that seem likely to be big enough and exploration-worthy already.

And that's coming from somebody who had all the Loremaster and Explorer achievements through WotLK in WoW.  I don't dislike quest grinding, but this almost punishes players who want to explore and do all the quests in the area by not just adding the additional quest time to their time spent in the zone, but the travel time back and forth and back and forth, etc. as well.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

theres no levels.  you can leave that zone when you damn well please.  you get xp towards AP and SP  for everything you do in the game.  you could gain AP and SP by crafting if you wanted.  no one is forcing you to do any quests.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Originally posted by Mexorilla

theres no levels.  you can leave that zone when you damn well please.  you get xp towards AP and SP  for everything you do in the game.  you could gain AP and SP by crafting if you wanted.  no one is forcing you to do any quests.

actually this is false. yes there is no levels. but you cant just leave and go anywhere you want because the mobs there will rip your ass in half if you arent a certain rank in skills or gear.

try it. start a new guy and run to blue mountain, try to kill the first zombie by the bridge. you die in seconds.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by AbdullaDoo

Great.  So you can stick a waypoint out in the middle of nowhere where you come across a quest from a corpse to remind you to spend 15 minutes running back and fighting through the zombie horde to pick it up later.  To me the exploration comes in in finding some of these obscurely located quests in the first place.  I'm glad so many people here like it -- because it's obviously targeting your tastes -- but forcing the player to spend additional hours in a zone chasing down stray quests that could have been completed with other quests if not for the quest system is -- for me -- unnecessary tedium in zones that seem likely to be big enough and exploration-worthy already.

And that's coming from somebody who had all the Loremaster and Explorer achievements through WotLK in WoW.  I don't dislike quest grinding, but this almost punishes players who want to explore and do all the quests in the area by not just adding the additional quest time to their time spent in the zone, but the travel time back and forth and back and forth, etc. as well.

Believe it or not, but it actually works well once you get used to it. It's not HARD to have a 50 slots quest journal. They have done it this way for a carefully thought out reason. I would hate it if they changed it to what every other game does. Fifty quests, grind your way across the map killing this picking up that... It makes me wonder how I could do it. I'll probably start doing one quest at the time in other games too now, but alas, they were not DESIGNED for it, so I doubt it will work that well.