Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returned to SWTOR for the free week... WTF was I thinking?

13»

Comments

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Originally posted by MyPreciousss

So I played the first month then didn't subscribe because SWTOR isn't good. Not as a mmo, not as a Star Wars game, not as a RP game, not as a space combat game, not as a 200+ million dollar game, not as a Bioware game, not as a overhyped game, not as an exploration game. In a fair world Bioware should owe me 70 euros.

I wasn't level 50 after a month, yes in Bioware's eyes it makes me a loser, I'm sorry, I'll run as quick as I can to the ultimate goal of top level with the sheep flock in my next mmo, I promise, to be considered a dedicated player. But I read about the free week and reinstalled it to see the changes since beginning and try to rescue the poor souls still trapped in my guild.

Alderan. 11 people on the planet. 5 guys left in my guild (from 36). Empty large depressing Cantina where I logged off 3 months ago. Big empty city. 2 droids moving 10 meters to and fro. No ambient sounds. Take the taxi to the next quest hubs. Mobs standing still by threes or fours moving their limbs and head sometimes. My commando character has obviously too long legs compared to her trunk and her moves aren't fluid. Go through water. No swimming. Camera under water gives a grey water surface, wtf. Kill mobs, return to quest npc. What next? Depressive mood. Trying to get excited and find reasons to play. Maybe an instance. Because mmo's are about running instances right? But first, walk 50 meters from the quest hub, jump between a rock and a tree to get to a node. Stuck in the air jumping, crucified on the tree. Can't move anymore. Blocked on a damn tree 30 centimeters above ground. 200+ millions dollars. Uninstalled.

My lasting impression of SWTOR: I feel like a fool wasting time and money because I trusted them to do a proper mmo and they didn't deliver at all.

So, you didn't like the game, quit & then came back to see what changed & decided that you needed to moan about it all over again even though BioWare let you check it out again for free?

Did you not think to check the patch notes at all?

Because all of the crap you complain about was from before 1.2

I reccommend that you try reading the patch notes to see if that patch has addressed your concerns & then you'd save yourself the bother of having to log in again & then come here to piss & moan about it, you'll be doing yourself & these forums a favour.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

I feel that SWTOR would have better done as a single player RPG with some co-op thrown in. If they had made it a single player RPG where you could play through all the character class storylines and have them tie together into a larger story arc it would have worked and been perhaps been interesting as a single player RPG with co-op added on.

As it stands it is not something that I feel like paying $15 a month for.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Originally posted by Ryukan

I feel that SWTOR would have better done as a single player RPG with some co-op thrown in. If they had made it a single player RPG where you could play through all the character class storylines and have them tie together into a larger story arc it would have worked and been perhaps been interesting as a single player RPG with co-op added on.

I get where you are coming from, I'm assuming that you are not actively involved in a guild doing operations, am I right?

I think that the group-content at 50 is mostly just for gear, there is just not enough to do at 50 even if you are doing Operations regularly.

I do not think that it should have been made as a sprpg though, I just think that BioWare need to not only crank out more content, but they also need to design reasons to do that content.

For one example,m in EverQuest, there exists the same basic things as in SWTOR, but at max level there are thousands of Alternate Advancement points to grind out, this is not a good/bad thing, but what it does do is give a reason to be actively doing group content besides just getting group gear, even those in raid-gear grind aa through group content.

Now I'm not suggesting SWTOR do the same thing, but just highlighting how another game gives some more dimensions to grouping up, SWTOR needs to build more reasons to do the group content into the game as they expand the volume of content on offer.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by Skuz

Originally posted by Ryukan

I get where you are coming from, I'm assuming that you are not actively involved in a guild doing operations, am I right?

I think that the group-content at 50 is mostly just for gear, there is just not enough to do at 50 even if you are doing Operations regularly.

I do not think that it should have been made as a sprpg though, I just think that BioWare need to not only crank out more content, but they also need to design reasons to do that content.

For one example,m in EverQuest, there exists the same basic things as in SWTOR, but at max level there are thousands of Alternate Advancement points to grind out, this is not a good/bad thing, but what it does do is give a reason to be actively doing group content besides just getting group gear, even those in raid-gear grind aa through group content.

Now I'm not suggesting SWTOR do the same thing, but just highlighting how another game gives some more dimensions to grouping up, SWTOR needs to build more reasons to do the group content into the game as they expand the volume of content on offer.

My guild was doing regular Ops multiple times a week. Unfortunately so many of my guild quit that there are not enough lvl 50's left to do Ops. The end game of SWTOR is entirely based around the gear grind which just doesn't do it for me, it feels boring and stale and gets repetitive quickly.

• TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by rygard49

This sounds a lot like the time I had spinach.

I hate spinach. My dad used to boil it when I was growing up, and the stink would literally fill the entire house. He would call me into the kitchen and tell me to eat it, it would make me strong like Popeye, etc. It was miserable. I couldn't imagine a worse food in the entire world.

Well a few months went by and I decided, you know, I'm gonna try spinach again.

I still fucking hated it. So you know what I did? I went to the vegetable forums and straight to the spinach section to tell all those people how much spinach fucking sucks, and how I much I hated it even after trying it a second time. Boy oh boy, did I save a lot of people the trouble of eating spinach. Even the ones who liked spinach appreciated me coming to their forums and stirring up the pot of hatred for their beloved leaf.

All of my friends called me crazy. They said, 'Hey dude, why would you go to a forum and tell everyone that you hate something that you already knew you hated?' But they were wrong, I was totally justified, and I totally didn't annoy everyone with my asinine posts.

God damned spinach.

"and I totally didn't annoy everyone with my asinine posts."

Please good sir, you give yourself way too much credit.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by RodimusPrime

Originally posted by TUX426

I don't share your opinion.

SWTOR has a lot of flaws that they need to bust ass to fix...but you sound like someone who likes to whine. Obviously you expected something else...please go find it.

When I buy an expensive game that is broken, hasn't the promised textures, lacks core mmo features, has multiple bugs, has broken and massive lag in pvp instances, breaks more things than fixes them in patches, is only innovating in finding tricks to hide the real sub number, yes you're right I then become someone who likes to whine.

And you're right again, I expected something else, like you know... a decent working mmo, a game sold only after its completion. I have these crazy ideas sometimes!

Yet you try it again and come here to complain about it. Must be a gluton for punishment I guess. Normally when I try things and don't like them I do not go back.

Complaining about a mmo in forums dedicated to mmo's, yeah I must be out of my mind. Retesting a game after 3 months and a Jesus patch expecting something better can be a good choice, as some mmo's evolve for the better. 

[mod edit]

You have every right to post...but lemme offer you some advice...hold off on purchasing new MMOs in the future. You may want to give them 6-12 months if you're not willing to put up with the tweaking that needs to be done in EVERY MMO after it's released.

And we're not trolling your thread, you're getting the attention you sought when you made it, cheer up! This is like facebook for geeks! Also, I'm at work and the o-boards are down right now. If you can't take someone disargeeing with your whiny opinion, don't post.

The funny thing is, SWTOR needs a hell of a lot more than "tweaking".  It needs to have larges swaths of ideas and code reconsidered and redesigned.  If it's true that they have 1.2 million players paying a monthly sub, then good for them.  I think it could have been a lot more had they done things differently.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.