Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Review in Progress - Part One

13»

Comments

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Its not the greatest. It it ain't bad either. While it may have been out in Korea for a while now its new here and still in its early stages. Companies have been known to add new features and items to the stateside release and even impliment them to the original versions as well. I' e been enjoying the beta. Early leveling is quick but I see the first 20 levels as story progression, getting to know your class and familiarizing youself with the game in general. Then the good stuff starts. For now I'm enjoying the heck out of it. This game DOES have potential but its all up to Bluehole and En Masse to take it to that level and not kill the game with CS and F2P.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Not worth a sub fee. There is F2P MMO's, and Single Players RPG's that offer more content then this game does. Whoever decided that it would be ok to have 3 equipment slots for the visual look and customization for players in a P2P MMO must of been up in the happy smoke. That is a poor design decision for a P2P MMO. Maybe ok for a F2P but P2P? give me a break. Even Skyrim has more too offer then this game does. And thats a single player rpg. Why would I pay to play this?

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Originally posted by trash656
    Not worth a sub fee. There is F2P MMO's, and Single Players RPG's that offer more content then this game does. Whoever decided that it would be ok to have 3 equipment slots for the visual look and customization for players in a P2P MMO must of been up in the happy smoke. That is a poor design decision for a P2P MMO. Maybe ok for a F2P but P2P? give me a break. Even Skyrim has more too offer then this game does. And thats a single player rpg. Why would I pay to play this?  

Then go and play a P2W game with subpar graphics and story line?

Meanwhile back in Tera, I have fallen in love with this game more since head start.
    The hour ques on Jagged Coast (server) arent great but that is expected.
    I love the actual area of Jagged Coast in game, it is probably one of the most beautiful and realistic coves I've seen in a game.
    Also really started following the main story and actually read the quests (shocker for me) and it is extremely in depth and easy to follow with the cut scenes.
    Overall I am really happy with it. Still waiting to get back into my server after I accidentally stepped on my surge protector :P

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by trash656

Just don't, no one is asking you to.

For me it is worth the price, if for you it doesn't don't pay it, it's really that simple.

• SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by Acidon:

Personally, I believe that the newest generation of MMOers is a bunch of spoiled little brats.

I'm not interested in Tera, nor do I dislike it.  I am just having too much fun with my current MMO.

It just gets tiring reading comments from people that seem to lack a shred of patience.

I hope Tera does well, as I do with any MMO.  But if you cba to play a game because the first few levels were just standard and not mind-blowing, MMOs may not be for you.

For me I can't get past the gear graphics that are to massive degree inspired by what appears to be far too much time spent in strip bars staring vacously at strippers strutting around followed by watching kids in an elementary school playground.

That was the impolitic (and perhaps unfair) way to put it.  At a more basic level in objective feelings when playing a graphics based game:

It's just immersion breaking to see strippers run around in stilletto spike pumps, in the dirt, fighting, as well as little 8 year old girls swinging axes 3x their size, and carrying a shield that makes them look like they are HOOFING a mattress out of an apartment building.

It's funny really, that MMO companies struggle all the time for "content", even if it's just a fluff time sink (which people often enjoy), yet waste content avenues in this manner.  People do like "fluffy, pretty, gala wear".  I've played several MMOs where people spent considerable time gathering "outfits".

Seems TERA missed the boat here with an outlet for "festival wear" outfits people could grind/acquire, instead just dressing up the girls in stripper-gear at the outset.

No worries, sounds like some people like the game.  Not everyone is the same.

I just can't get past the strippers in stilletto pumps everywhere you look, and little 8 year old girls in mini-dresses, and stuffed-animals come-alive.

GL all.

Wherever you go, there you are.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by Zaltark

Im wait for GW2. And Diablo3. I played the beta for Tera. Its a very pretty game, but I guess Im just burned out on typical MMOs. Tera is a typical mmo, you just aim to hit things.

So, an MMO where you actually have to aim, block, dodge by yourself is a typical one.. really? Diablo 3 aside, what makes GW2 a non typical MMO? Can you elaborate for us?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Originally posted by Shodanas

Im wait for GW2. And Diablo3. I played the beta for Tera. Its a very pretty game, but I guess Im just burned out on typical MMOs. Tera is a typical mmo, you just aim to hit things.

So, an MMO where you actually have to aim, block, dodge by yourself is a typical one.. really? Diablo 3 aside, what makes GW2 a non typical MMO? Can you elaborate for us?

Don't worry, after GW2 comes out he will be saying "it's just a typical WoW clone, gonna wait for <insert game>"

Theres a lot of people on this site who just don't like MMOs anymore but they think every new game will some how change them.

• mike1345mike1345 Member Posts: 1

For all those who are saying this game has an original combat system.. it doesn't. It's taken a combination of things from previous mmo's which is fine and it seems to bring a good combat system but its not unique. Vindictus style combat but open world instead of party instances is one of the most obvious ones. You would be ignorant to say that this game is unique in any way, as previously stated by someone else it's pretty hard to make a game that doesn't resemble or take ideas from another mmo. I for one don't think much about this game mainly because FTP games with yeah slightly worse graphics are just as fun as this, just because a game has amazing graphics doesn't come first to content and gameplay. For those who are trash talking GW2, a dynamic event is not a quest in that you do not have to actually participate in it, you can just do the story line which is instance based "missions" call them or dungeons which ever. Quests are objectives that you get from npc's that force you into doing something for a reward, dynamic events do not, simply walk by and go on with you're adventuring. Not siding with either TERA or GW2, just ignorant people who defend games saying their orignal, or new combat system.. it's not nothing is original these days especially MMORPGs.

• Stellin23Stellin23 Member Posts: 3

I've played a huge variety of MMO's (starting with being one of the original EQ1 players). Most recently I have been playing SWTOR, but kept hearing about this game TERA. I loved SWTOR but am very bored with the game, so I said "ah what the heck" and checked out TERA.

I'm not rich or anything but decided to buy the Collectors Edition so I could play over the weekend before the offcial release. For the first 20 minutes of playtime I thought I had made a horrible mistake. Don't freak out. Keep playing. My suggestion is to skip the prologue and go straight to the newbie zone. Trust me...the game gets better. MUCH better.

After starting out in the newbie zone, I played around with my key bindings, and got a feel for the controls. The control layout and combat setup is very different that what most people will be used to (especially those versed in standard MMO's like WOW and SWTOR). This was my only barrier to enjoying the game, but after learning to play it became quite simple.

After getting the controls down, I truly began to enjoy the game. It really begins to get awesome around level 7 (the first few levels are baby step tutorials). The first thing I noticed was the graphics. Holy crap!! They are amazing. Hands down the best graphics in any MMO in my opinion (maybe not my favorite art-style...but the actual graphical display is pretty amazing).

The second thing I noticed was how awesome the combat is. I mean seriously...it is done extremely well. It's not twitch based, but you do need to pay attention...close attention. There is defintely a certain level of skill involved, but 80% of that skill is simply paying attention and playing your character smart. It reminds me of an easier verion of Demon Souls/Dark Souls.

The characters themselves are either hit or miss for some people. The girls are scantily clad, the men are overly muscular (except the male high elf...who looks very transexual)), and the Elins are just....lets say slightly weird. But for me...I love the characters, and the character creation process is pretty detailed and awesome. Not as cool as COH...but 1000X's better than WOW or SWTOR. If you got used to Gnomes, you can get used to Elins. But all in all....I found the new races to be refreshing, well thought out, and to be honest...I love seeing all of the gorgeous women running around scantily clad. 

The classes themselves are amazingly fun to play (except for the Priest). I played 6 classes up to level 11 to get them off of the newbie island, and I honestly can not tell you which is my favorite. They are all very awesome. Some are extremely easy to play (Archer). Others are extremely difficult (Warrior/Lancer). But there is great enjoyment in all of them.

I did not expect very much from this game, and almost quit playing it after 20 minutes. I am extremely glad I kept playing and gave it a chance. What I found was an extremely polished release, amazing gameplay, dynamic classes and combat, and a detailed and graphically beautiful world. This game is a AAA title. I was absolutely ADDICTED after my first hour. This is also not your standard grindfest Korean MMO. Yes...it will be harder to hit endagem than SWTOR or WOW, but that is a GOOD thing!! 

I will be offcially cancelling my SWTOR and RIFT subscriptions, and I am extremely happy that I purchased the Collectors Edition of TERA.  The only way I see myself moving away from this game is if GW2 is as amazingly awesome as some of the rumors suggest. I have played A LOT of MMO's over the past 13 years, and this game is a fresh surprise, and is honestly some of the most fun I have had in years of MMO playing. If you are on the fence about this game...I say bite the bullet and just go buy it. It really is an amazing game. One I will be playing for a long time. It's my top MMO of the past few years. 

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Probably instead of the new intro sequence, which actually made the intro longer, let players with characters of level 11 or above to skip the newb island for their alts.

Played in the beta, because characters get wiped, you understand how tedious that first 10 levels are.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by mike1345

For all those who are saying this game has an original combat system.. it doesn't. It's taken a combination of things from previous mmo's which is fine and it seems to bring a good combat system but its not unique. Vindictus style combat but open world instead of party instances is one of the most obvious ones. You would be ignorant to say that this game is unique in any way, as previously stated by someone else it's pretty hard to make a game that doesn't resemble or take ideas from another mmo. I for one don't think much about this game mainly because FTP games with yeah slightly worse graphics are just as fun as this, just because a game has amazing graphics doesn't come first to content and gameplay. For those who are trash talking GW2, a dynamic event is not a quest in that you do not have to actually participate in it, you can just do the story line which is instance based "missions" call them or dungeons which ever. Quests are objectives that you get from npc's that force you into doing something for a reward, dynamic events do not, simply walk by and go on with you're adventuring. Not siding with either TERA or GW2, just ignorant people who defend games saying their orignal, or new combat system.. it's not nothing is original these days especially MMORPGs.

you obviously have no clue what an MMO is or you wouldn't be bringing up Vindictus.  try talking about subjects you understand.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• scrabbyscrabby Member Posts: 5

Going to be short and honest. I have played mmos a lot years, subbed most titles. Played Tera last beta, liked the Lancer and the Mystic but again played classes mostly up to 23 level.

I think that Tera has taken the best parts of older mmos and put them together. Loved the graphics, UI and navigation system for new players. BUT it still is like old mmos. Players tell me that higher levels are great fun but the first 20 where a nightmare for me :D ( hate grinding the same old quests kill and bring lol ).

So to all new mmo players i think that they will love Tera. Experience players will still play if it offers enough content to keep them going past the mid levels. I don't know, havn't played up there.

To some people that said that GW2 is like old mmos, please play and check out for your self, NOTHING LIKE old mmos. Completely new stuff, but thats enough, who ever wants can check out by himself, i can not change some ones mind like that and i don't want to :)

Have fun people  :D

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

I really like the idea of doing a review of an MMOG over time (especially if it actually deserves to be called  "MMO"RP"G). They aren't, or shouldn't be, simplistic experiences easily discribed in a paragraph or two (not that most MMORPG editors give us something that basic).

Nice going! Thanks!

;)

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Probably instead of the new intro sequence, which actually made the intro longer, let players with characters of level 11 or above to skip the newb island for their alts.

Played in the beta, because characters get wiped, you understand how tedious that first 10 levels are.

Agreed, the first 10 levels are very tedious, nothing worse than putting your alt and you through that tediom again.  Tera is a good game but those first 10 - whoo boy

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Shodanas

Ok, I'll begin. Everything about Tera is the same except combat. Which appears to me to feel eerily similar to everything I've played before aside from combat which didn't really appeal to me. However, all of the things you just listed are also in GW2. You have to aim (some skills you just need to target), dodge, block (classes with shields get blocks) and move around. Combat in GW2 felt far more engaging to me than in Tera. Everything is strategic and nothing breaks your movement, keeping combat fast and fluid. The animations also looked very nice.

Crafting is similar here but Anet did add their own twist of the discovery system which is a nice touch that is different. It combines a series of ideas that haven't been combined before. Gathering raw materials from the field to refine them while breaking down old materials to gather new ones. Experimenting adds a nice mystery to the flavor. Although to be honest no crafting system in any MMO has been quite as in depth as Vanguards. Not to say I prefered it really. That kind of tedium wears on you. After so long I just want to make the items and not grind out "pristine refined silk" for the eighteenth time to make a cape. So I have no complaints really on how either of the two games approach crafting. I'm fine with the systems but I do like the exploration GW2 provides and, in response to your question, provides its uniqueness.

Questing is not the same. Here you have events that happen with or without you and change the scope of the world. Some events reset but larger, more impactful events (usually beyond level 30) truly change things down to the geography itself. Fail to stop a wizard from calling  a comit and you could be stairing at a crator where an old fort used to stand. Aside from that quests don't have linearity here. You can choose from a list of things to do to progress any given event. Events also chain themselves into huge epic events that unfold before your eyes, which is different than just being told the events are happening. I saw the bears rush into the village to attack the townspeople rather than just heard that they might do it eventually and to go "thin the heard". There is more of a sense of truly exploring and stumbling on things to do rather than looking in your journal to find out where someone else told you to go. It feels more free and engaging. I wonder upon a bear shrine and become rapt up in defending it with 25 other players spontaniously as it is attacked. I didn't have a quest telling me to go there, and I didn't spend hours forming a raid party.

Which brings me to grouping. In GW2 I spent approximately zero minutes attempting to form a group. That's not to say I didn't group. On the contrary I was always in a group. I just didn't have to exert any particular effort to do so. Didn't matter what classes my friends were we could figure out what to do. We made it work with the skills they chose. Also nothing I do steals anything away from my groupmates. My loot is all unique to me and all of my kills count for them as well (In DE's of course).

Which brings me to skills and leveling in GW2 and how THAT is also different. In GW2 your skills are defined by your weapons you bring into battle and what skills you CHOOSE. Not just what skills you are given per your level. You essentially choose all of the abilities you want and must pick which skills you want for your level. Skill points are used to purchase new healing, utility and epic skills (not actually called epic but I can't remember their name, they are basically finishers). Then the weapons you carry define the first set of skills. This is completely different than every MMO out there. The trait system provides a way to bolster your play style giving you a lenience towards certain skills. That's not in itself entirely new but its a nice touch I thought should be mentioned.

The story is also a different take on story telling in MMO's. You fully flesh out your characters backround through a series of questions. Your Character has tendencies and personality attributes (charm, etc) that effect the paths your personal story takes. The way the story is presented is artistic and, in itself, different.

Speaking of story brings me to the quality of quests, or events. Endgame really does start at level 1 here. Within five minutes of starting a norn character I was fighting a giant Ice wurm with 15+ other players. It felt epic, fresh, and exciting. All of the events felt interesting and exciting. There was virtually zero grind for me. Every event gave me multiple paths to complete it if I wanted. I never felt forced to do any event. If I didn't want to play with the village kids I didn't and went along my merry way to explore or go to another event.

This type of "questing" gives the game a very fluid nature. Instead of just going to a local hub and picking up all these to do lists I was out wondering around in the world and stumbling on things. Stumbling on things is always more fun than just being told to go there. You never have to worry about going in the right direction really because there is something everywhere. Every inch of the map is covered and teeming with things to do. Pick a direction and your heading towards something interesting.

This feeling only amplifies as the game gets on.

Dungeons. I will hit dungeons now. Dungeons are pretty challenging and lengthy with extremely entertaining storylines. No dungeon is 'just another dungeon crawl'. Every one has you interacting with characters and ends with a boss of some sort. Dungeons are filled with traps and events happening within events. It is somewhat difficult to explain GW2s dungeon style. What truly makes the dungeons unique is how everything is put together. The boss at the end, the puzzles, the storylines, the enemies, and the traps all make something pretty unique. It isn't really like flashpoints in SWTOR nor is it like dungeons in Vanguard. Its tough to pinpoint them, which makes them different and unique. This is more one you'd have to experience though.

PvP. I'm sure this one is the most well known but world PvP offers many new things. Yes, I've heard of WAR and the two don't compare. here we are talking about a persistant world on a huge map that only deals in PvP between three servers. You siege castles, defend castles, control points, gather resources, lead sabatoge attempts, its all there. There is nothing like it to be sure. The combat style mixed with WvWvW is nothing short of spectacular. What makes it unique though? It's such a large list of differences that seem small on their own but are large when combined. The fluid combat changes how the battlefield works for the better. Sieges are big deals and require preporation. You can still contribute without going to the front lines, fortifying currently held castles and gathering resources, etc. It could be how everyone is on roughly equal footing. No more do you have huge desparities between players because a level 30 and level 85 go at it. You can jump into the PvP and expect it to be about skill. Which itself is a huge flag. Skill is actually important here. You don't just rely on gear and abilities. In fact you don't rely on them at all. Its all about when you apply the skills, how good are you at dodging?, and what tactics you bring into play. Its quite refreshing to see such even footing. I never felt at a disadvantage but I still lost a great deal because I was not as good as my adversaries. Then other times I surprised myself.

Beyond world PvP there is a dedicated structured PvP scene that is gearing up to be an E-Sport (all the tools are there). Anet is already setting up tournaments for some serious doe and are flying out top teams to compete anually. The PvP itself is broken down into brackets. If your team does good and wins enough  weekly skirmishes you will be submitted for the monthly tournament. Win a monthly tournament and you will be reserved a spot in the annuals. If you can make it to the top of the annual tournament you will be flown out of state/country to compete for a grand prize. The matches are fully loaded with streaming/casting support and with a hefty yearly prize itll be a strong competitor for the E-Sports scene.

This post was long because you asked what was different about GW2. Which meant I basically had to explain the whole game. Even then there are parts I've missed in here and I didn't even get into the minutia like storyline decisions.

• renadirenadi Member Posts: 19

Not having played  it I'm not sure how good it is, but it is an mmo...

• wesleyleewesleylee Member Posts: 2

i would like to play tera but p2p is kinda of out of my price right now i have kept up with tera for a long time and was hoping it would be f2p