Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"....Pathfinder will be to EVE what WoW was to EQ"

2»

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by djmtott

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Pathfinder or Sandbox or just mmorpgs... need to do/advance/innovate 2 things:

1) World Interactions - destructive/constructive environments

2) Social Interactions - player interactions and social organization -> main gameplay

I don't agree with #1 at all... unless you're talking about players building their own settlements. Actually destroying the environment isn't all that important.

On the other hand, #2 is the most important thing that can be done to improve MMOs. When you're making a game centered around a social activity (a multiplayer game) the more you can do to foster more/better activity will go a long way.

#1 is most certainly an area that needs to advance or innovate. When people are talking about such things, they aren't referring to urban sprawls and deforestation - the first two assumptions often made - rather the ability to affect meaning ful changes to the environment around them. This could be as simple as being able to place objects in the game world (remember when you could do that?). There are plenty of innocuous ways to affect the game world.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Full quote and direct link to the post:

"In my perfect world, Pathfinder Online will be to EVE Online what World of Warcraft was to EverQuest. That is, the game that came after the game that solved a lot of hard problems but left a path for development towards accessibility and fun.

As someone who not only played through the transition from EQ to WoW, but spent countless hours doing analysis of both games from a business perspective, I have a tremendous appreciation for what Blizzard accomplished. They did not make a "clone", they made an evolutionary step that changed the way people interacted with theme park MMO content.

I think there's an opportunity to do something similar for sand box MMOs too." - Ryan Scott Dancey

Link: http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz4smt?What-is-the-target-market-for-PFO#12

Lets hope so but I am not putting any hype whatsoever in an Indie developer.  Will take a wait and see with this one.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Pathfinder needs to feel like dungeons and dragons.  No trinity system and include skill based adventuring (climbing, searching, perception) these are things that make dnd.  Combat is 1/4 of a gaming session, so an mmo needes to feel like that.  

That said, lets hope that frost is just hype with the eve combat. Pathfinder is not a civilization game, it's a role playing game, i wat stories and adventures not different woods and pvp to make houses.